• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Not really. Project M does the same thing with Olimar, 4 instead of 3 though, and made the individual Pikmin stronger. Isn't enough to compensate for me. I would much rather have 6 weak Pikmin then 3 strong ones.

I would rather have more Pikmin then the latter 2. I don't see Olimar being that much better then he is in Project M. Not enough Pikmin for me.
Olimar's multiple Pikmin in Brawl would allow him to have better control over the battlefield, I'd reckon. If that's what you're saying, then I suppose that SSB4 Olimar could be a downgrade, as that approach may no longer be viable.

Haven't played Project M, or played Smash from a competitive standpoint. But I'm interested in seeing how Olimar fares gameplay wise in SSB4 regardless. 8D

EDIT: Saw your elaboration above concerning Pikmin being vital for Olimar's attack (hence more > less). I suppose this would force you to "reload" more often as you'd need to pluck new Pikmin more frequently. This would make things less convenient than in Brawl (and/or Project M), I surmise.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Do you guys like the Dorkly videos? They made a Mortal Kombat Kristmas one a while back. This was the first time it was uploaded to Youtube. At least, I think it was.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Olimar's multiple Pikmin in Brawl would allow him to have better control over the battlefield, I'd reckon. If that's what you're saying, then I suppose that SSB4 Olimar could be a downgrade, as that approach may no longer be viable.

Haven't played Project M, or played Smash from a competitive standpoint. But I'm interested in seeing how Olimar fares gameplay wise in SSB4 regardless. 8D
Well, that all depends.
If Olimar can still function even with the halved Pikmin count (upping the amount of heath they have would help). Then there shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Mewtwo IS coming back. They wouldn't just attempt to put him in Brawl and then skip out on him in this. That'd be a stupid move. AND he's become another center of attention again.

Betting he's unlockable.
No, it would not be stupid! Jigglypuff will be the last Pokemon character confirmed as she was in smash from the start, that makes five Pokemon characters, and six Pokemon characters will not happen because Pokemon is not the mascot franchise of Nintendo, and does not deserve more than said franchise. Mewtwo is never coming again!

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
No, it would not be stupid! Jigglypuff will be the last Pokemon character confirmed as she was in smash from the start, that makes five Pokemon characters, and six Pokemon characters will not happen because Pokemon is not the mascot franchise of Nintendo, and does not deserve more than said franchise. Mewtwo is never coming again!
Brawl had 6 Pokémon characters, while having 4 Mario characters 5 Zelda characters. You were saying?

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Hhmm...
If we were to get a Zelda newcomer I would like to see Jigglypuff...
If we were to get Ganondorf i'd like to see Mewtwo...
Just my thoughts...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Remember, Double changers and Triple changers still took up only one slot. There's nothing wrong with Mewtwo not returning
>_>

So, this is about slots in the roster. There's no rule regarding them.

Zelda and Sheik shared one spot because they could switch between each another, same for Samus and Zero Suit Samus. The Pokémon Trainer was essentially 3 characters with the Trainer himself justifying the transformations.

Sakurai himself said the Brawl roster had 39 characters, which means he sees the Pokémon Trainer as three characters, Zelda and Sheik as two and both Samus and ZSS as two.

In other words: Mario has 4 characters in Brawl, Zelda has 5, Pokémon has 6. Pokémon can't have more characters than Mario, you say? Well, Brawl had two more Pokémon characters than Mario.

Your arguments are invalid.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
>_>

So, this is about slots in the roster. There's no rule regarding them.

Zelda and Sheik shared one spot because they could switch between each another, same for Samus and Zero Suit Samus. The Pokémon Trainer was essentially 3 characters with the Trainer himself justifying the transformations.

Sakurai himself said the Brawl roster had 39 characters, which means he sees the Pokémon Trainer as three characters, Zelda and Sheik as two and both Samus and ZSS as two.

In other words: Mario has 4 characters in Brawl, Zelda has 5, Pokémon has 6. Pokémon can't have more characters than Mario, you say? Well, Brawl had two more Pokémon characters than Mario.

Your arguments are invalid.
It's only common sense that Sakurai should avoid having any franchise get more characters than the mascot franchise of Nintendo when this is a "Nintendo's Greatest" crossover

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's only common sense that Sakurai should avoid having any franchise get more characters than the mascot franchise of Nintendo when this is a "Nintendo's Greatest" crossover
Maybe all the Mario characters haven't been revealed

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
A mistake that Sakurai will probably not be making again
So, that was, a mistake you say?
That's it. A mistake. A fluke. An oversight.

Yeah look, if it was a "mistake", if you will. Then why wasn't it corrected then?
He had the time. Heck, it was delayed. He could've just ditched them and moved on. But he didn't.
Why? Because maybe it was intentional.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ivysaur and Squirtle are not out yet. Transforming characters are gone, but both Zelda and Sheik return, same for Samus and ZSS. It's entirely possible for Ivysaur and Squirtle to return as separate characters. Will it happen? I have no idea, but assuming Charizard being standalone means Squirtle and Ivysaur are gone is insane logic, especially when you consider how Sheik and ZSS returned despite transformations being gone.
Except there really isn't much reason for Squirtle and Ivysaur to come back. They weren't that popular and even PT mains fully admit that Squirtle and especially Ivysaur were largely deadweight to Charizard. If Squirtle and Ivysaur are coming back, why put so much emphasis on and devote half of a trailer showcasing that Charizard is now alone? It doesn't make sense for them to go back a few months down the road and be like "oh yeah, these guys are back too" on a significantly lesser note. ZSS and Sheik are different because they're simply different sides of the same character. Sheik has been a fighter for the past 12 years and it would be kind of weird to just seal Samus back into her suit. Can Squirtle and Ivysaur come back? Sure but it doesn't seem likely at this point.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
Squirtle is certainly popular. I think it's unfair to make it out like most people don't care about him, though I think people like Blastoise a lot more. Blastoise is incredibly popular, just not quite Charizard or Mewtwo popular.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just found something awesome

Pokecenter Blastoise, Japanese only mind you, but available to buy in the US

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Except there really isn't much reason for Squirtle and Ivysaur to come back. They weren't that popular and even PT mains fully admit that Squirtle and especially Ivysaur were largely deadweight to Charizard. If Squirtle and Ivysaur are coming back, why put so much emphasis on and devote half of a trailer showcasing that Charizard is now alone? It doesn't make sense for them to go back a few months down the road and be like "oh yeah, these guys are back too" on a significantly lesser note. ZSS and Sheik are different because they're simply different sides of the same character. Sheik has been a fighter for the past 12 years and it would be kind of weird to just seal Samus back into her suit. Can Squirtle and Ivysaur come back? Sure but it doesn't seem likely at this point.
You bring up good points. Charizard is a much bigger icon than Squirtle and Ivysaur and possibly why it maybe the only of the Trainer's Pokémon to return, but still it doesn't change the fact that Squirtle and Ivysaur aren't disconfirmed yet. That's the current situation regarding Squirtle and Ivysaur.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
You bring up good points. Charizard is a much bigger icon than Squirtle and Ivysaur and possibly why it maybe the only of the Trainer's Pokémon to return, but still it doesn't change the fact that Squirtle and Ivysaur aren't disconfirmed yet. That's the current situation regarding Squirtle and Ivysaur.
If Squirtle and Ivysaur aren't disconfirmed yet by a lack of explicit Word of God, then neither is Ridley.

Awwwww yiss :shades:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It really makes me mad how much attention Charizard gets

Blastoise and Venusaur are so much cooler

In X and Y, I have both games and I didn't pick a Charmander in either

I mean, check out the venusaur plush

Cutest thing ever, right?

Now check out this ugly piece of crap

No one would love you

Sonicshuffle

Smash Rookie
Remember, Double changers and Triple changers still took up only one slot. There's nothing wrong with Mewtwo not returning

The logic you're using here is that the tiles on the character select screen represent how many characters there are compared to the characters that are playable themselves. Making it much more complicated than it needs to be but apparently simple things have to be broken down now. A character who is playable is a playable character. Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle are all playable. I count, 6 there. What's the problem?

There's not set amount any franchise can have as representers and I wish people would stop acting like there is a limit. Mario could have 10 reps for all we know. It's just not likely.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
The logic you're using here is that the tiles on the character select screen represent how many characters there are compared to the characters that are playable themselves. Making it much more complicated than it needs to be but apparently simple things have to be broken down now. A character who is playable is a playable character. Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle are all playable. I count, 6 there. What's the problem?
The problem is that Pokemon can't have more individual slots on the Select Screen than Mario, because reasons.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
All the rotom dolls are $20 except the one I want

Which is $60...

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well, that all depends.
If Olimar can still function even with the halved Pikmin count (upping the amount of heath they have would help). Then there shouldn't be a problem.
I think Samus was seen one-shoting them.. I'm not sure.

What's your avatar btw?
I just found something awesome

Pokecenter Blastoise, Japanese only mind you, but available to buy in the US
Blastoise is your mon' huh? :awesome:

And regarding Ivysaur and Squirtle, nothing is disconfirmed until Sakurai says it is!! :p

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Did anybody else notice that Sakurai counted Waluigi as part of the Wario franchise, but didn't make him a playable character?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I think it might be the Substitute move from Pokemon. Greninja was seen using it in his trailer.
And your Pokemon is switched with that stuffed animal? That makes it's appearance in the place of Sakurai even funnier. XD

@ Sehnsucht Sehnsucht is correct.
It's basically the Substitute plush from Pokemon.
I want one. When ever I need to get out of school in a hurry..

*MaskO' Used Substitute! No one noticed his absence!*

Teacher: MaskO'! Please tell me the year the Tudors ascended to the throne of England!

Plush: *Smiles*

Teacher: Correct.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, as I said earlier, I have a lot of thoughts on different veterans thanks to the Direct:

Captain Falcon- All but confirmed. Goroh was in the trailer but I get a strong feeling that he'll be unlockable again, especially with F-Zero being even more irrelevant now than it was in Brawl.

Lucas and Ness- I feel like this is a very interesting situation. It was confirmed that Mother would indeed have multiple items again so there's no shadow of a doubt in my mind that at least one of them will return. I personally think they'll both be coming back. Why? Because of Captain Falcon's current situation. It's very likely that Captain Falcon will be unlockable again so I believe, in upkeeping with tradition, Ness will probably be unlockable again too. What does this mean for Lucas? He's probably in the starting roster again given how he's still the most current star of the Mother franchise. I'd also argue that Toon Link's reveal way back in September helped Lucas chances because, despite being a semiclone, Sakurai saw Toon Link as worth keeping. This all being said, I think both of the Mother boys are safe but I seriously doubt they'll be joined by anyone else.

Metaknight- Halberd. Done. Next.

Ice Climbers- I felt like this Direct eased a lot of doubts that I had about them returning. Sakurai mentioned that characters would be changed if they ran into technical difficulties with them instead of outright cutting them if they could prevent it. From the look of things, he kept his promise. ZSS and Sheik could have easily been cut but Sakurai just went ahead and made them separate characters. PT went from 4 programmable characters in one to just one stand alone character. Olimar was tweaked as to have less things on screen at once and not drag down the FPS. The fact that Sakurai mentioned the Ice Climbers by name back in August makes me strong believe that he worked extra hard to keep them in and he probably succeeded. Now the question that remains is how have they changed? So-Po with significant buffs? No more desyncing? Maybe they work the same as Rosalina and Luma do now. Time will tell. It should also be noted that they are now the only new Melee characters aside from Game and Watch that haven't been confirmed yet and with the lowest priority Melee character being back in (Sheik), I feel we'll be seeing them soon.

Ganondorf- Every other Zelda addition in the series so far is back and with Link and Zelda keeping their Twlight Princess character designs, I think he's all but guaranteed.

ROB- Sakurai has preserved enemies from the SSE in the new Adventure Mode and, with ROB being such a key part of that story, I don't doubt he'll return.

Ike- This might get interesting. I kind of get the feeling that because of how much Marth has been shown off before this game has been released I feel like he's going to be a starter character and, in a lot of ways, it makes a lot of sense. Since Brawl, he's starred in not one but two Fire Emblem games and was, in a roundabout way, a key character in Awakening. He's still the original lord of the franchise too and to bump him up to the starting roster would make sense. What does this have to do with Ike? Well, I feel like things will come down to two outcomes. Chrom's pretty much a given at this point. Arena Ferox saw to that a long time ago, nevermind he's the star of the latest game that so happens to be the best selling game of the franchise that's, on top of all this, credited with saving the series. Now it's just a matter of figuring out where Chrom fits in. If Chrom's in the starting roster, things don't look good for Ike. Aside from Captain Falcon and Ness, we have yet to have anyone in the starting roster of a game suddenly become unlockable in the next and those two had history on their side. I strongly doubt that all three will be available from the get-go but Ike does have some history on his side too: there's has always been at least one unlockable Fire Emblem character. This could push for Chrom being unlockable and Ike being a starter or, in an even stranger turn of events, having both Chrom and Ike being starters and Marth being the unlockable one. With all these possible outcomes, I imagine Ike fans are going to be biting their nails for awhile.

Jigglypuff- With Captain Falcon and Ness being strongly likely now and everyone else from the original cast being confirmed, I don't doubt the return of the puff.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh, I just thought of another X and Y pokemon that would have been an awesome addition

Goodra

Although I am still a little dissapointed how Goodra looks compared to the potential it had with goomy and sliggoo

It's an important pokemon of your rivals and it's pre evolved forms (at least) became instant fan favorites

Speaking of which I decided to buy with my Blastoise Plush THIS because the Blastoise Plush wasn't enough to get free shipping

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I just watched the analysis of the Greninja trailer from gameXplain and I really like him now. His moveset is so ninja like. Substitute, water shuriken...that recovery....that teleporting... it really makes me want to play as him.

He shares the same 2nd spot with Rosalina & Luma of my favorite newcomers so far. With Little Mac and Mega Man sharing 1st place and Wii Fit Trainer and Villager sharing 3rd place. I just paired them up because I really can't decide which I like more.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Greninja is going to be the first person I try and try and make my main

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Greninja was my favorite X & Y Pokemon after Sylveon. I was so upset because I wanted to see him as playable character with Serina, Chespin, and Braixen, but I didn't think it would happen. But, just my luck, we got him anyway! YAY! :D

PokéMurio

Smash Apprentice
Greninja was perfect choice; basically nobody expected him (at least stand-alone!), but still everybody likes him. Sakurai knows these tricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom