• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I hate how everyone immediately jumped off the bandwagon as soon as there was a chance it is wasn't true. Better safe than sorry?

It's just like when Ridley's shadow was shown. Everyone was like "Nope." and ran away.
I wasn't on the bandwagon because I never really wanted the leak to be true. It was just harder to dismiss it as more characters from it are revealed. Today's reveal helped a lot.

I also never really liked the idea of a playable Ridley, so I couldn't have "ran away."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll admit; I thought Ridley was dead after seeing that shadow, but people do present some convincing arguments. I don't care either way, but yeah, "HE'S NOT DEAD."

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So, how does everyone feel about FE suddenly out-representing Kirby, Metroid, and even DK?

I don't think that Bandana Dee will get in (merely because of roster space), but I do think that K. Rool and Ridley will be in.
That brings DK and Metroid up to 3.
FE is still ahead.

I could see them doing a dual-trailer for either DK or Metroid, like what they did today with Robin and Lucina.

For DK, it would be Donkey and Diddy fighting K. Rool, when K. Rool has them at the edge of a cliff, and they fall off. You see Donkey and Diddy continuing to fall, when they suddenly stop. Confused as to why they stop, they look up, and see that they were caught by Dixie Kong. Dixie carries them both back up, where all three fight K. Rool.

For Metroid, it would be Samus taking on Ridley, when Ridley has her down, and is about to crush her, when he is suddenly blasted by electricity and falls done. The camera then pans to the entrance of the room, to be greeted by a Blue-Suited man. His helmet pops up, and we here a familiar "Remember me?"
ANTHONY HIGGS JOINS THE BATTLE!

Of course, as awesome as these may be (especially that Higgs one), I could only see one at most happening.

Though I do think that Bandana Dee, Dixie, and maybe another Metroid character (after Ridley) will all get in trough DLC if they aren't in the initial roster.

Toologist

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Toologist
3DS FC
0963-1281-8162
It is though; honestly, it has to do with how the community interprets the leak. At first, everyone fallaciously regarded it as objective fact, so it was fact in that context. Now everyone fallaciously regards it as thoroughly refuted... so it is, or it is here. We obviously need to wait for further news until people get on their knees and crawl back to Sal and his source.

No reasoning is enough. It is "good enough" to be fact by their standards. Even if you point out that that sentiment is utterly arbitrary, they retort with, "it has not been wrong yet." The opposite will become true. "It is false, Chrom is not playable." You might assert, "that does not definitively contest the leak in its entirety;" however, they will retort with, "it has already been wrong once." This is; of course, despite the notion that they blatantly disregarded overt contradictions as a result of confirmation bias in the first place.

Tl;dr: Gematsu supporters are incompetent and Gematsu detractors are incompetent. One has to realize that the leaker DOES have insider information. The question is... to what extent and is it relevant as of current. No one asks that though because they forget that the leak alludes to information prior to roster finalization, thus they erroneously assume that the leak needs to be either completely real or completely false. It is overt that that is a logical fallacy. GG.
Good post, my friend. Definitely agree, especially the last paragraph.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
To be fair, that doesn't apply to me, I was always a detractor of the leak for various reasons.
I can respect that.
I was just referring to when people support it, but bail at the last second to avoid "I told ya so"s, which ironically, they may very well get if Ridley is in/Gematsu is true.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
I don't think shulk is in tbh, not because i don't want him but because there has literally been nothing that even remotely signifies his appearance. Also robin basically is a much more glorified version of what Shulk could have played like, which would be a sword fighter who can also use magic. As for rayman being cut as a character and instead turned to a trophy i feel that the whole "due to development time ____ was cut is invalid due to development time", is invalid due to the fact that DLC characters are a possibility and sakurai has stated that post release they will consider DLC options. It's just something that really seems like why go through the trouble of basically saying "Here rayman fans you now have a reason to buy smash becaue your favorite character is now featured as a trophy". Worst case scenario i can see rayman being an AT so atleast this way he actually is in the game to a somewhat respectable degree.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't think shulk is in tbh, not because i don't want him but because there has literally been nothing that even remotely signifies his appearance. Also robin basically is a much more glorified version of what Shulk could have played like, which would be a sword fighter who can also use magic. As for rayman being cut as a character and instead turned to a trophy i feel that the whole "due to development time ____ was cut is invalid due to development time", is invalid due to the fact that DLC characters are a possibility and sakurai has stated that post release they will consider DLC options. It's just something that really seems like why go through the trouble of basically saying "Here rayman fans you now have a reason to buy smash becaue your favorite character is now featured as a trophy". Worst case scenario i can see rayman being an AT so atleast this way he actually is in the game to a somewhat respectable degree.
That's.... not how Shulk would play at all.

D

Deleted member

Shulk doesn't use magic though. I stopped reading past that.

So, how does everyone feel about FE suddenly out-representing Kirby, Metroid, and even DK?

I don't think that Bandana Dee will get in (merely because of roster space), but I do think that K. Rool and Ridley will be in.
FE is still ahead.

I could see them doing a dual-trailer for either DK or Metroid, like what they did today with Robin and Lucina.

For DK, it would be Donkey and Diddy fighting K. Rool, when K. Rool has them at the edge of a cliff, and they fall off. You see Donkey and Diddy continuing to fall, when they suddenly stop. Confused as to why they stop, they look up, and see that they were caught by Dixie Kong. Dixie carries them both back up, where all three fight K. Rool.

For Metroid, it would be Samus taking on Ridley, when Ridley has her down, and is about to crush her, when he is suddenly blasted by electricity and falls done. The camera then pans to the entrance of the room, to be greeted by a Blue-Suited man. His helmet pops up, and we here a familiar "Remember me?"

Of course, as awesome as these may be (especially that Higgs one), I could only see one at most happening.

Though I do think that Bandana Dee, Dixie, and maybe another Metroid character (after Ridley) will all get in trough DLC if they aren't in the initial roster.
I would like a new DK character, and I'm neutral on Metroid/Kirby, but I'm just thrilled Fire Emblem has more characters than Star Fox now. negative bias toward Fox in Melee
BUT if what you suggested actually happens, my hype levels, which are already high, would just about explode. Mainly because we finally get to remember Anthony Higgs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I don't think shulk is in tbh, not because i don't want him but because there has literally been nothing that even remotely signifies his appearance.
His game was a huge success. It was voted 6th best Nintendo game of all time in Famitsu.
In fact, it was so popular, Nintendo actually listened to its petition! They never listened to any Mother 3 petitions.

Also robin basically is a much more glorified version of what Shulk could have played like, which would be a sword fighter who can also use magic.
Have you played Xenoblade.
Shulk's fighting style is pretty different.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why does every newcomer get
, but Lucina gets

?
Robin's the REAL new character representing Awakening.

Lucina's probably more like in Melee when they added characters as an after thought

True clone

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Well to be fair in xenoblade chronicles shulk utilizes the monado to cast spells like monado purge and monado cyclone which could be considered magic spells. I know both Shulk and Robin obviously carry different weapons but the general idea of a swordsman who can also perform spells of some kind if what i'm getting as to why Robin would be the replacement and be option to shulk. Granted if shulk does end up appearing i'm sure Sakurai could make him play different compared to Robin

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Is this a case where it's not CALLED magic

But it basically just is magic?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I could not be happier about how things have turned out today.

Aghhghg like wow, so excited for this game! If Ridley gets in I will have for the first time ever like 5 characters I absolutely love to play with, Dedede, Villager, Robin, (Ridley), Rosalina. Sakurai is the best

WishOn

Smash Cadet
NNID
WishOn
3DS FC
4828-5426-2919
I wouldn't mind seeing Chorus Men. I think Sakurai could do some interesting things with them.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Is that War Machine?

If Samus is Iron Man, yes.

Is this a case where it's not CALLED magic

But it basically just is magic?
That depends on what you call magic.
From what I've played in Xenoblade so far, it seems more futuristic than what we would typically call magic.
Think of that arrow at the end of the Zelda U trailer at E3.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
, but Lucina gets

?
It's probably just that way because Robin's includes the illustration and the other Robin.
Lucina's would have a lot of empty space, since she shares that illustration with him/her.
And before you bring up the mobile version, that has less space for it so it would be in turn less empty space.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294

FE is still ahead.

Perhaps I'm unfit to answer as this is an issue that does not concern me, but I couldn't care less that Fire Emblem, assuming Lucina is her own character, has four playable characters.
It's not supposed to mean anything. It's just slots on the select screen. Sakurai just had two idea for playable Fire Emblem characters and went through with both of them.
It's not supposed to imply that Fire Emblem is more popular or important or whatever other adjective than another series which has less characters.
Smash isn't about "properly representing" franchises through playable characters. It's about including characters that people like and will want to play as. If two of those characters come from Fire Emblem and none come from, for example, Mother, then so be it. There isn't supposed to be some hidden meaning behind it. I understand the notion of roster balance in terms of franchise representation and I'm not going to claim anyone is stupid for taking it into personal consideration when supporting characters, but it isn't supposed to be that way when it comes to the actual finalized roster. Even I'll admit that seeing Star Fox and Kirby having the same amount of playable characters in Brawl is a bit odd, but it isn't supposed to represent anything.

Look, I just don't like when people hate on a character because their franchise didn't "deserve" the character. It's the above thinking that leads to such opinions.
And, mind you, I felt this way far before Palutena was revealed. That wasn't the trigger for my thoughts towards this. :p

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
, but Lucina gets

?
Because she doesn't bring anything new to the game?

She has the same moves as Marth. Maybe a different FS but thats all.

She'll probably be selectable on the menu as a separate character but be exactly the same as Marth.

Thats fine with me. If she's different even a little than that would go against what Sakurai said about having clones.

Either way I don't care if Sakurai is consistent with what he said before.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Warning Received
Now watch them de confirm Shulk, but confirm Chorus Men.
I think we will all simultaneously go

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Yesterday Reggie basically said what I had to say for any excuses people are making to keep the leak alive:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I suspect that Sakurai is playing up Lucina, and she'll be a Marth alt with different taunts and animations.

Isn't that just a clone?! :laugh:
Nope. clones are "clones" but they have differences from the original. Roy and Marth. Fox and Falco. Pikachu and Pichu. Kirby and Jigglypuff. Younglink and Link. Ditto and everyone else.

There are some pretty good differences with all of them O____O that make the character better or worse. Marth and Lucina may be just the exact same thing.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Nintendo Direct in August

Metroid's anniversary is August 6th
Rhythm Heaven's anniversary is August 3rd

Ridley/Karate Joe double reveal

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I really want there to be two reveal trailers left: one next month during a possible Nintendo direct, and one on September 13th, the day Smash Bros 3DS comes out. The first one could be anything, whatever. The second one should be a trailer for all the hidden characters. Even if it was small, like if they were all hanging out of the "Smash Bros. Office" and then they get invited into battle.
Video thumbnail a question mark a la brawl dojo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom