• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I recall them trademarking "Pokken Fighters" or something similar.

However, this could be them simply filing the trademarks to prevent anyone else from taking them. "Covering the bases" if you will.
That's all I thought it was. It could be Pokemon Stadium 3 though! :p

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
No, The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword will always be a very flawed game due to the Wii Motion Plus gimmick streamlining everything, and yet the gimmick itself rarely works when you need it to.

When I play a game developed by Nintendo, I don't expect controls on par with shovelware to bog down the entire experience.
Never had any issues with the controls.

Hong

The Strongest
That's rather subjective, isn't it?
They worked fine for me, for example.

What I realized when playing the game is that there's a trick to all the gestures, I thought the controls sucked too because I kept doing the same gestures over and over again, but once I tried doing it a different way, like moving my arm at a slower or higher ark, it worked fine.

So really the controls are just very specific, not bad. Certainly not shovelware levels of bad.
Of all Wii games I've played, I can't say I had any problems with motion controls.
Doesn't change the fact the game is designed around a control method that objectively has to delay registrations to read a gesture between two points.

It doesn't just go "the player moved left, Link swing's left". It goes "the player moved left and was still left in this time frame". Of course, it's only a fraction of a second, but it's still there. Because the actions have this reading period, a buffer system is in place so that you can swing several times in succession to replicate the feel of frantic attacks. But it won't hide the illusion in any kind of combat situation where you have to respond or seize to attack. It is so much that Link can attack after you, the player, have stopped moving. The game is, by design, slowed down to accommodate the accelerometer algorithm.

Of course, whether or not this system is a hindrance to your play experience is subjective, it is by fact the least responsive rate of attack Link has ever utilized. As for my actual subjective opinion, the controls were the only difficulty the game had to offer. That aside, there was nothing to keep me engaged or interested. The first three hours of the game treats you like a ****ing idiot and the rest of the ride was hardly bearable.

I just found almost no appeal anywhere I looked in Skyward Sword, and if not for the fact it was so instrumental to the story of the Legend of Zelda franchise, it would have ended up being the only entry in the series I would refuse to play. They'll have to refund me the cost of the game twice over if they expect me to go swimming around for tadnotes again. That was one of the most embarrassing experiences I have ever had to deal with in any Legend of Zelda game ever. I'm not adventuring, I'm not puzzle solving, I'm not fighting. Why the **** am I doing this. How desperate are you to pad the clock to pretend that this game has substantial content?

I apologize. Whenever I think about Skyward Sword I get really upset. It was a massive letdown for me and even as someone who would rent a new NES/SNES games like weekly as a kid, it was one of the worst games I had ever experienced.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
@ Hong Hong

I never meant to say that Skyward Sword is flawless, which is not.

I just stated that motion controls weren't a hindrance to me. However, the dungeons did feel too easy and there was a lot of hand holding on the game. Besides that, I enjoyed the game for what it was.

The best Zelda for me is Wind Waker. Ocarina of Time and Link's Awakening are pretty good too. I also did have a lot of fun with Four Swords Adventures and it's still one of my favorite titles.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I loved Skyward Swords Story, and combat...when it cooperated. I also loved the upgrade system that encouraged you to collect items and bring them back to craft and upgrade your items

The only 2 things that REALLY pissed me off in Skyward Sword was:

1) It took away the ability for me to think for myself when an issue arose. Anytime you talk to someone who had a problem Fi would come out and explain what you needed to do and zoom in on what you needed to get. The hand holding was ridiculous.

2) Dousing Quests. Self explanatory.
2a) Game padding. Dousing and that tadnotes filler pissed me off.​

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Lolz. I really like Skyward Sword. Didn't have any problems with the motion controls.
I'll admit I'm pretty messed up; Zelda 2 is probably my favourite.

Maybe it's because I was stuck in a hospital with that game as a kid and after a while, seeing the flickering screen followed by Gannon's laugh became kind of remedial after like the hundredth time.
@ Hong Hong

I never meant to say that Skyward Sword is flawless, which is not.
Oh, I know. Just something about that game makes me uncharacteristically lose my cool and go on a tangent.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Doesn't change the fact the game is designed around a control method that objectively has to delay registrations to read a gesture between two points.

It doesn't just go "the player moved left, Link swing's left". It goes "the player moved left and was still left in this time frame". Of course, it's only a fraction of a second, but it's still there. Because the actions have this reading period, a buffer system is in place so that you can swing several times in succession to replicate the feel of frantic attacks. But it won't hide the illusion in any kind of combat situation where you have to respond or seize to attack. It is so much that Link can attack after you, the player, have stopped moving. The game is, by design, slowed down to accommodate the accelerometer algorithm.

Of course, whether or not this system is a hindrance to your play experience is subjective, it is by fact the least responsive rate of attack Link has ever utilized. As for my actual subjective opinion, the controls were the only difficulty the game had to offer. That aside, there was nothing to keep me engaged or interested. The first three hours of the game treats you like a ****ing idiot and the rest of the ride was hardly bearable.

I just found almost no appeal anywhere I looked in Skyward Sword, and if not for the fact it was so instrumental to the story of the Legend of Zelda franchise, it would have ended up being the only entry in the series I would refuse to play. They'll have to refund me the cost of the game twice over if they expect me to go swimming around for tadnotes again. That was one of the most embarrassing experiences I have ever had to deal with in any Legend of Zelda game ever. I'm not adventuring, I'm not puzzle solving, I'm not fighting. Why the **** am I doing this. How desperate are you to pad the clock to pretend that this game has substantial content?

I apologize. Whenever I think about Skyward Sword I get really upset. It was a massive letdown for me and even as someone who would rent a new NES/SNES games like weekly as a kid, it was one of the worst games I had ever experienced.
I don't know, I find it hard to believe the game was actually bad from your experience when it sounds, well, rather bias.
Well, I agree with you one some of that.

But all Zelda games do start out rather slow. I've gotten quite used to hand-holding, really.
In truth, I despised it when I started playing it and stopped after getting to the first dungeon. Then...I don't know, I went back and played it and I really ended up enjoying it.

That being said, **** tadtones. **** them so hard. I mostly was fine with motion controls, but the parts where you control the entire character with motion (ex. Flying, swimming) sucked hard, so any part that involved swimming, and by that I mean all of that section, were some of the most traumatic experiences of my life.

YOU SUCK FARON >:(

Hong

The Strongest
I don't know, I find it hard to believe the game was actually bad from your experience when it sounds, well, rather bias.
Of course it's biased. I hate the game. The moogle is already out of the bag.
But all Zelda games do start out rather slow. I've gotten quite used to hand-holding, really.
Well, just the 3d era. The 2d games just tossed you like a cucco in the wind.

I'm glad Mr. Aonuma has acknowledged how horrible it is to do that to the player. A Link Between Worlds did it perfectly: If you want help, it's there. Don't shove it into the player's face. I know some players will get stuck here and there, and that's fine. That said, the majority of gamers can figure it out on their own and just want to play the ****ing game.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Regardless, I still don't think The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword was the worst offender of motion controls. I'd say that was Sonic and The Secret Rings, which I swear playing that game constantly felt like a 50/50 shot due to the motion controls having a habit of not working when you need it to, and in that type of game not being accurate can often kill you. It's one of the reasons why I can at least appreciate the spiritual sequel Sonic and The Black Knight using the Wii Nunchuck for movement.

Hong

The Strongest
In any event, can we all be happy that the Wii is over?

They can make motion controls an option if they want, sure, but design the game around the expectation that the player is using a more responsive control scheme. While motion controls in theory allow more options, due to the accelerometer algorythm I mentioned earlier, it actually hurts the possibilities quite a bit. :/

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Of course it's biased. I hate the game. The moogle is already out of the bag.
I know, but you started out like you were listing your problems with the game as though they were fact.
DON'T BE EGORAPTOR

Well, just the 3d era. The 2d games just tossed you like a cucco in the wind.
I'm glad Mr. Aonuma has acknowledged how horrible it is to do that to the player. A Link Between Worlds did it perfectly: If you want help, it's there. Don't shove it into the player's face. I know some players will get stuck here and there, and that's fine. That said, the majority of gamers can figure it out on their own and just want to play the ****ing game.
Like I said, I've never had a problem with that, because, in the beginning, teaching you the controls via a town scene is okay because each Zelda game has new controls/features that you obviously wouldn't figure out on your own.

However, doing it throughout the whole game, like Skyward Sword, is a little much. I honestly don't remember her nagging me that much. The only time when Fi got on my nerves was when she commented on my lack of hearts, or batteries, or both.

I don't remember her constantly reminding me what to do, mainly because when she gave me a new thing to douse, I completely ignored it and found the thing on my own.

Also, I would not say that the game is easy. Ghirahim's Third Form, Demise, the Cistern, the Lightning Round, Hero Mode in general, they are no joke.

Hong

The Strongest
I know, but you started out like you were listing your problems with the game as though they were fact.
DON'T BE EGORAPTOR
Of course, whether or not this system is a hindrance to your play experience is subjective, it is by fact the least responsive rate of attack Link has ever utilized. As for my actual subjective opinion,
Right after I explained the nuances of how Wii Motion functions. ;)
because each Zelda game has new controls/features that you obviously wouldn't figure out on your own.
Nope.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I've never really been impressed with Skyward Sword, the controls for one thing are pretty odd, that and the design for most of the enemies/characters just looks off. Overall on a scale of perfect being the highest and awful being the lowest, I'd say it was just fine.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I loved Skyward Swords Story, and combat...when it cooperated. I also loved the upgrade system that encouraged you to collect items and bring them back to craft and upgrade your items

The only 2 things that REALLY pissed me off in Skyward Sword was:

1) It took away the ability for me to think for myself when an issue arose. Anytime you talk to someone who had a problem Fi would come out and explain what you needed to do and zoom in on what you needed to get. The hand holding was ridiculous.

2) Dousing Quests. Self explanatory.
2a) Game padding. Dousing and that tadnotes filler pissed me off.​
I completely agree with everything you just said. Well done. The upgrades were amazing and the hand holding was ridiculous.

That being said, a third let down for me was the lack of exploration compared to it's predecessors. I expected The Sky to be similar to The Great Sea, but it most definitely was not. TP had hidden secrets all over the place.

As for the controls, they were fine for me. The only problem I had was rolling bombs, but that was because I play games on my bed.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I completely agree with everything you just said. Well done. The upgrades were amazing and the hand holding was ridiculous.

That being said, a third let down for me was the lack of exploration compared to it's predecessors. I expected The Sky to be similar to The Great Sea, but it most definitely was not. TP had hidden secrets all over the place.

As for the controls, they were fine for me. The only problem I had was rolling bombs, but that was because I play games on my bed.
The sky was like a barren version of The Great Sea. If it was closer to the traveling of Wind Waker it've been so much cooler.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
The sky was like a barren version of The Great Sea. If it was closer to the traveling of Wind Waker it've been so much cooler.
I agree. The first time on my Loftwing was so exciting. I thought every rock in the sky was an island. I was so upset when they were just ****ty rocks.

Even on land there was very little exploration. SS missed having multiple towns and an expansive field.

Oh and one more thing - combat felt very limited. I had all these useless items, and just used my sword all the time.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I agree. The first time on my Loftwing was so exciting. I thought every rock in the sky was an island. I was so upset when they were just ****ty rocks.

Even on land there was very little exploration. SS missed having multiple towns and an expansive field.

Oh and one more thing - combat felt very limited. I had all these useless items, and just used my sword all the time.
I agree to a lot of this.

The Sky is seriously disappointing. The whole point of it was to make getting to different parts of Hyrule easier and streamlined and a unique way to host sidequests, but it felt so tedious to explore. You could see all of the map from any given point, but it somehow took forever to fly there.

Also, shoutout to the Whip for most useless item ever.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I agree to a lot of this.

The Sky is seriously disappointing. The whole point of it was to make getting to different parts of Hyrule easier and streamlined and a unique way to host sidequests, but it felt so tedious to explore. You could see all of the map from any given point, but it somehow took forever to fly there.

Also, shoutout to the Whip for most useless item ever.
If we're talking useless items, TP's Spinner says hello. Or maybe the Dominion Rod...

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
We discussed that already.

Ghirahim disconfirmed...:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
Felt link posting the image because Famitsu likes their adorably tiny scans.

Also, How is he deconfirmed anyway? Just because he, like Fi, can turn into a sword? lol OH GOD SPOILORZE!

Because that really wouldn't do it if that's the reason.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I really liked Skyward Sword for the characters, music, story, and atmosphere. I didn't even mind traveling in the sky.

But the one thing that really disappointed me was the lack of variety in enemies. Bokoblins, pug-nosed little imps they were, were almost literally everywhere, and at times thrown right into your face. It even got to the point where we had to fight literally a thousand of them, and to make up for some of that monotony they threw in a handful of enemies to make it look as though we were really fighting the forces of evil. What happened to the Darknuts, ReDeads, and Dodongos?

I was quite disappointed when I found that out over the course of the game, because it initially led me to believe that Skyward Sword's enemies would have varied in both appearance and fight-style, so that you had to know a certain strategy to defeat them without just waving your arm around.

At least the fights against Ghirahim were awesome.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If we're talking useless items, TP's Spinner says hello. Or maybe the Dominion Rod...
Oh yeah, the Dominion Rod was freaking useless outside the place you find it.Though if we're talking useless items, TP has the most useless one ever: Horse Call.

But yeah, it's so sad the Spinner is so useless. It was so fun to use and it's such a missed opportunity.
Imagine if it moved faster and you could ride on it forever.
Imagine fighting a bunch of Spinner-riding Stalfos on a suspended round platform in an Arena-styled ring out battle.

That would've been freaking awesome.
And while's we're talking about the Whip, why doesn't it do what the grappling hook do and steal enemy spoils to use for crafting? Hell, why wasn't it the Grappling Hook in general?

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
And giant's knife.
If we are talking outside the Zelda universe then...and if we are talking about powerups..

Cigarettes from Metal Gear says hello. Goldeen from Smash Bros. says hello. Poison mushroom from Mario says hello.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Most of the motion controls in Skyward Sword didn't really bother me, and I have a generally high tolerance level for things like the hand holding and the like in the way that Fi, Navi, etc never really bothered me to a particular degree.

The one place I wish they hadn't used the the motion controls was on the bird flying sections, I never beat the game because I got stuck on the mini-game requiring you to break targets with the bird because I never figured out how to do it very well then got distracted by something else and never got back to it. The combat however I felt the controls worked fine and other then a few hiccups with it I never had too many issues with it. It just required me to play it differently then I normally would which I never had a huge issue with.

I more enjoyed the characters and stories it did try to tell. It just didn't come together as well as I think they wanted it to. I definitely don't hate the game at all. I guess for me I find it weird when people act like it's the anti-christ for some reason but it is what it is.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Oh yeah, the Dominion Rod was freaking useless outside the place you find it.Though if we're talking useless items, TP has the most useless one ever: Horse Call.

But yeah, it's so sad the Spinner is so useless. It was so fun to use and it's such a missed opportunity.
Imagine if it moved faster and you could ride on it forever.
Imagine fighting a bunch of Spinner-riding Stalfos on a suspended round platform in an Arena-styled ring out battle.

That would've been freaking awesome.
And while's we're talking about the Whip, why doesn't it do what the grappling hook do and steal enemy spoils to use for crafting? Hell, why wasn't it the Grappling Hook in general?
The Spinner would have been amazing if it could have been used like a skateboard, and just continuously moved. Or perhaps instead of squares on it's side, it had blades for battle use.

That was the most annoying thing about the whip - stealing spoils with the grappling hook is so satisfying... and it makes collecting stuff so much easier.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
The Spinner would have been amazing if it could have been used like a skateboard, and just continuously moved. Or perhaps instead of squares on it's side, it had blades for battle use.

That was the most annoying thing about the whip - stealing spoils with the grappling hook is so satisfying... and it makes collecting stuff so much easier.
Multifunctional items are the best ones. Even something simple like "use bow on enemies AND eye switches" is better than the Spinner, which is "use in awesome dungeon... and then never use again".

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
The Spinner's an awesome item if you use an AR code that allows you to FLY with it anywhere.

Good times, good times.

Also, setting the Clawshot to "can grab anything" is pretty awesome. It's like, one of the main reasons I use an AR is to break the game.

But the best item is that Hawkeye thing. Gotta love zooming into people's faces lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom