• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I sure wish they would.

I hate the fact that they never finish some games when they're really close to beating them.
The sad part is that they were very close to beating it. I believe they were around the end of Silver's story. And then there was only the Final Story left.

They never finished it because

a) Jon left
b) They lost footage

It doesn't have anything to do with them just randomly deciding not to play.
Still, I do kinda hope that someday they do go back to it and finish what they started.

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
It's not gonna happen unless Jon comes back.
I actually wouldn't mind if Danny took Jon's place.

The sad part is that they were very close to beating it. I believe they were around the end of Silver's story. And then there was only the Final Story left.
Exactly. They would have defeated Iblis if only he stopped the huge boulder that was hurling towards them.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
So I'm watching Arin's new Sequelitis video where he analyzes Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past. He rips on OoT very hard.
Ocarina of Time isn't my favorite Zelda game (it's Majora's Mask). And I do understand what he's saying, but something about this is off.

I like Ocarina of Time's story and music and world, personally. It's very memorable to me. ALttP, albeit another fantastic game, didn't really (and still doesn't) have as much of an impact on me. Hell, I even really liked Skyward Sword!

I guess I'm just an outlier.

EDIT:
Oh, and about the Grumps, I actually think a lot of what Dan does is really funny. He's become iconic, even. Arin's a bit annoying (though recently, he's gotten better) but that doesn't take much away from the funny. I don't mind them sucking at the game because I imagine it's difficult to talk and be funny and still play the game at an expert level. Also, they could just suck at games that aren't in either of their domains (e.g. Danny is really good at classic platformers). I don't care. They're funny.

Danny and Ross's playthrough of Kings Quest V is pretty glorious. If you haven't seen Grumps since before Jon left and want to get back into it, you should jump into Ross's part of the channel, Steam Train, too. It's pretty awesome.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
So I'm watching Arin's new Sequelitis video where he analyzes Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past. He rips on OoT very hard.
Ocarina of Time isn't my favorite Zelda game (it's Majora's Mask). And I do understand what he's saying, but something about this is off.

I like Ocarina of Time's story and music and world, personally. It's very memorable to me. ALttP, albeit another fantastic game, didn't really (and still doesn't) have as much of an impact on me. Hell, I even really liked Skyward Sword!

I guess I'm just an outlier.

EDIT:
Oh, and about the Grumps, I actually think a lot of what Dan does is really funny. He's become iconic, even. Arin's a bit annoying (though recently, he's gotten better) but that doesn't take much away from the funny. I don't mind them sucking at the game because I imagine it's difficult to talk and be funny and still play the game at an expert level. Also, they could just suck at games that aren't in either of their domains (e.g. Danny is really good at classic platformers). I don't care. They're funny.

Danny and Ross's playthrough of Kings Quest V is pretty glorious. If you haven't seen Grumps since before Jon left and want to get back into it, you should jump into Ross's part of the channel, Steam Train, too. It's pretty awesome.
OOT always has been an over rated game.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I respect Arin's analysis about the game and, hey, maybe he's turned some people against OoT with his logic. Which is fine. But I feel like a lot of people shifted their opinion on it purely because His Holiness Egoraptor said it.
I can respect people who have their own opinions, though. That they came up with on their own merit.

Thinking "Oh hey, Arin's got a few points. He's right about this. Maybe I should look at it differently" is one thing but saying "OMG EGORAPTOR HATES GAME NOW I HATE GAME TOO!!!" is different, but it seems to be the attitude of a lot of these Youtube comments...

...wait, why am I being bothered by Youtube comments?

OOT always has been an over rated game.
I will agree that it's overrated, but I still really like it. It's still a fantastic game, but I think it has long since fallen out of "masterpiece" status.
Majora's Mask is miles better, and it even uses the same engine.

But "better" is subjective. Haha.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Jon and arin completing Sonic 06 now wouldn't be the same. They both probably know the ending and the twists. Sure, they would probably struggle through the final level, but it wouldn't be as funny as them struggling through it without any idea of what happens.

The whole appeal of them playing Sonic 06 is that they didn't know anything about it. Thats why a whole bunch of people got upset when they didn't react to Shadow's roundhouse kick scene. (Though, I don't agree with getting upset over that).

Even if they did bring Jon back for a special anything, I think should just let it go, (as sad as losing that footage is).

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I like Ocarina of Time's story and music and world, personally. It's very memorable to me. ALttP, albeit another fantastic game, didn't really (and still doesn't) have as much of an impact on me. Hell, I even really liked Skyward Sword!I guess I'm just an outlier.
I agree. The problem I have with this video is that he claims that nitpicks resulting from his own impatience and disregard for anything that doesn't completely resemble A Link to The Past as "bad game design". That is just childish.

And really, he lingers on the most pointless things. Who the hell cares if you wait five seconds to open treasure chest? Why does that make the game bad?
Also, he really isn't considering the context of the game itself. He says that "nobody wants to look around the room for a switch" when in fact, that's what everyone wanted. Because it was a 3D Zelda game, unlike the others.

If there's any games he should be criticizing for those puzzles, it's the later 3D Zelda games, not OoT.

And seriously, lay off Skyward Sword, dude. I know you passionately hate all Zelda games that aren't ALttP but at least talk trash about the game in the title.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
So? For the past years I've been dreaming that Disney would regain ownership of the Anaheim Ducks, and did that happen? No.
So, what? I don't see how that has to so with what I'm asking of.
And second, what is up with your tone? Is it some sin that I hope for something that may be unrealistic in the long run?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I respect Arin's analysis about the game and, hey, maybe he's turned some people against OoT with his logic. Which is fine. But I feel like a lot of people shifted their opinion on it purely because His Holiness Egoraptor said it.
I can respect people who have their own opinions, though. That they came up with on their own merit.

Thinking "Oh hey, Arin's got a few points. He's right about this. Maybe I should look at it differently" is one thing but saying "OMG EGORAPTOR HATES GAME NOW I HATE GAME TOO!!!" is different, but it seems to be the attitude of a lot of these Youtube comments...

...wait, why am I being bothered by Youtube comments?

I will agree that it's overrated, but I still really like it. It's still a fantastic game, but I think it has long since fallen out of "masterpiece" status.
Majora's Mask is miles better, and it even uses the same engine.

But "better" is subjective. Haha.
I am actually not fond of either n64 Zelda. lol

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I actually wouldn't mind if Danny took Jon's place.
Danny's gone on record saying that he doesn't want to do it.

So yeah, it would require Jon, and even then, he probably doesn't want to do it either.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
People like to joke that I hate everything. :p
As long as we can respect each others opinions, you can hate whatever you want, ska. :awesome:

Danny's gone on record saying that he doesn't want to do it.

So yeah, it would require Jon, and even then, he probably doesn't want to do it either.
They wouldn't want to continue it either way. Arin said they've exhausted the jokes about the glitches and they feel like if he even bothered to go further on it it would just be repetitive and dry.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
As long as we can respect each others opinions, you can hate whatever you want, ska. :awesome:

They wouldn't want to continue it either way. Arin said they've exhausted the jokes about the glitches and they feel like if he even bothered to go further on it it would just be repetitive and dry.
Sounds good to me~

pickle962

Smash Lord
So now the Japanese are at 68 days till Sm4sh on the 3DS is out and 88 days for the rest of us give or take a day.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
True.

But so is A Link to the Past. Which is way this guy saying "ALttP is the best game ever" and then going and ****ting all over Ocarina of Time is unfair and biased.
Well to be fair, most opinions could honestly be boiled down to biases. It's how we are. We tend to favor one over another. And the ones we don't we criticize more.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Well to be fair, most opinions could honestly be boiled down to biases. It's how we are. We tend to favor one over another. And the ones we don't we criticize more.
Which is precisely the reason I don't like when people instigate Game 1 vs. Game 2 arguments.
It's usually based on personal preference.

If you like something enough you'll defend it regardless of if it's amazing to anyone else.

EDIT: Maybe it would be okay if they were productive and not mediums through which people **** on each others game preferences, Smashboards.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I can see how that would be, but I really only come here with a calm attitude, plus about 85% of what I do here on SmashBoards is try to make people laugh.
So what you're saying is being angry at me for a harmless comment is "funny" then? Sorry, I don't get the joke.

D

Deleted member

Oh my god. I really wish I had a capture card...

So I made it to the Ike cutscene. Earlier I replaced Ike's theme with Eisenhower's campaign ad. My sides hurt really hard.

Anyone who has hacked Brawl and wants to experience this...legendary event; here's the link to the Eisenhower ad BRSTM. https://www.dropbox.com/s/5n0npi0pvpybkj1/J13.brstm

I wish I could record it, but alas, I have no means of doing so. Seriously, TRY IT.

Last edited by a moderator:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I can't say for alttp. I own it but I was a little bad at it and I really don't if I will play at one point.

OOT was great with some flaws that doesn't matter that much. I didn't find water temple that bad but the temple with the lens, I got a little annoyed by it but I can't remember why.

Majora's mask... it's weird I have 2 distinct way to see it where both worth mentioning.

One is how I found the psychological immersion just brilliant. It really gives you a feel of progressive depression and it's art in that way. Even the main mechanic of "back in time required to save" was ingenious for that purpose since not only it adds a certain difficulty but also makes the story more deeper by having to redo it (you are even more immersed). Also, some music gives really deep emotions.

The other way to see it is that I found mostly the dungeons part frustrating for stuff that I really shouldn't. Example: I'm at stone tower and I need to use light arrows which requires magic so I search for any magic bottles only to realise that the only near location to find one is the entrance but over a bridge that I have to build by doing the same melody 3 times. Btw, why do I even need to do that? Why not just putting the jars next to the entrance? The same goes for the water temple where I know where to go but going here is the problem (pretty possible unintentionally). The same for realising that I could get to the snow area from termina because there's a way to cross it by walking on the ground but you can't see it if you look at it from the bridge. I expected the way to be in evidence so that I know it's there.

There's many other things like this that I wonder if there was enough job done in the design department. That's not usual to get frustrated for stuff like this and I wonder if others experienced that. Also, that seems not consistent with the story and the immersion as it's clear that lots of tough was put into that.

D

Deleted member

The best Zelda is Link: The Faces of Evil. Please put away your pitchforks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom