• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I sort of hoped that Elec Man being an AT meant we would get Proto Man as an alt, but nope. I mean, they already made the model, so why not?

Well, in the meantime, just know that these models...these gorgeous HD models, are the most respect the Mega Man series has gotten in a decade. Even from it's own creators.
I guess Protoman didn't became an alt due to lack of shield, which is a vital part of his character.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
O hey look, what a cool costume! .....or an assist trophy..... or absolutely friggin nothing! I dunno, I hate seeing models existing just to look at them. Lemme go on a tiny rant about trophies in general as they always annoyed me because they existed for nothing more than "hey, look at all this cool **** you CANT play as!". Yea, thats really great Samurai, real cool. Theres nothing worse than having a fighting game full of ready to go models of awesome characters and only use 10% of them. AT LEAST make them an enemy in Smash Run or something, jeeez. I never saw the appeal of just looking at trophies of something that ISNT in the game. If its an actuall thing there could be an interesting description about its use and strategy or whatnot, but as it is they only annoy me.
And I know, I know, making a usable character is more than just a few lines of code, but I rather not have any of them at all and have the designers work on actuall alternative costumes or something.
Well, this is an interesting take...even if a lot of it is just flat out untrue...
First off, a lot of the trophy models are taken from other games on that system; it would take way too much time to hand-make every trophy for a little bit more authenticity. Plus, using those models in-game would look wonky. Surely you have seen Brawl mods where they port over models from other games to use over playable characters. It looks wierd and out of place, does it not? That's what would happen if they used trophy models as alts.
As for the hand-made models, well, there simply isn't time for so much content to be used in gameplay. Creating a stationary model to be viewed from different angles is a LOT different from assigning it bones (don't know if trophies have bones) and testing it to make sure it works in gameplay. A lot.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I guess Protoman didn't became an alt due to lack of shield, which is a vital part of his character.
Very true. I mean, yeah, he could work fine as an Alt, but I can't see a why to implement the shield. He'd make a cool playable character, but I doubt 3rd Parties would get 2 characters per company, respectively.

Anyway, he could still be an AT. Only Bass & Treble among those 4 Trophies were confirmed as a pure regular Trophy.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

I don't see why he couldn't just wear the shield on his back like depicted here.
Not that I expect him to be in the game or anything, but I could easily see this being DLC (there's been quite a few requests for him so I don't see why not)

Naoshi

Very true. I mean, yeah, he could work fine as an Alt, but I can't see a why to implement the shield. He'd make a cool playable character, but I doubt 3rd Parties would get 2 characters per company, respectively.

Anyway, he could still be an AT. Only Bass & Treble among those 4 Trophies were confirmed as a pure regular Trophy.
Now I almost wish Nintendo owns the Mega Man franchise just to be less strict with him. lol

Man, Capcom should make a Mega Man fighter someday... wish they'd stop ignoring the franchise so much.

I don't see why he couldn't just wear the shield on his back like depicted here.
Not that I expect him to be in the game or anything, but I could easily see this being DLC (there's been quite a few requests for him so I don't see why not)
Having the shield on your back would block projectiles from behind. So it'd still make a difference enough to not be an alt. (And the shield being non-functional would just feel way too weird)

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
IMG_20141013_055211932.jpg

My first attempt at pumpkin carving

I call it, making the best out of messing up at the beggining

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Having the shield on your back would block projectiles from behind. So it'd still make a difference enough to not be an alt. (And the shield being non-functional would just feel way too weird)
An item on a character that's not functional? Ganondorf's sword. A shield that doesn't block projectiles? Bowser's shell.

It's not as weird as you think it is. It's lazy, but it's been done before.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
Well, this is an interesting take...even if a lot of it is just flat out untrue...
First off, a lot of the trophy models are taken from other games on that system; it would take way too much time to hand-make every trophy for a little bit more authenticity. Plus, using those models in-game would look wonky. Surely you have seen Brawl mods where they port over models from other games to use over playable characters. It looks wierd and out of place, does it not? That's what would happen if they used trophy models as alts.
As for the hand-made models, well, there simply isn't time for so much content to be used in gameplay. Creating a stationary model to be viewed from different angles is a LOT different from assigning it bones (don't know if trophies have bones) and testing it to make sure it works in gameplay. A lot.
Thats why I added the little disclaimer at the end saying I rather have them not bother with trophies of non-playable characters at all and assign that man power to other tasks, like costumes.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
“However, for both systems ‘Smash Bros. for’ is included in the title, so isn’t that nice?”
I love this man.
He's like Miyamoto. They're both clearly geniuses, but they act like regular people who pretend they don't calculate and figure out every move and decision they make.

Last edited:

Naoshi

An item on a character that's not functional? Ganondorf's sword. A shield that doesn't block projectiles? Bowser's shell.

It's not as weird as you think it is. It's lazy, but it's been done before.
Ganondorf's sword is only part of his taunt. That's seriously not even comparable. It would've been a different story if it were to appear at all times or part of his moveset and does nothing.

Bowser's shell is just a shell. It never served as a "shield" in any of his games, or at least was definitely not a prominent trait of him. It's not even an "item" of his, it's part of his body.

One of Protoman's specialties IS his shield. It's way too prominent to not give him the ability to block projectiles. It's always on his back or in front. That is part of Protoman's character. It's like removing the gliding ability from Knuckles. Ganondorf still at least retains his dark magic (with the whole dark magic special effects you see from him) and Bowser retaining his fire breathing powers, which are prominent features of their respective characters.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And now you guys better stop calling Smash Wii U "Smash 5" since they are the same iteration regardless of their differences.

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/10/1...super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-and-3ds-subtitles/
To note, Sakurai also did say earlier that "You could call one of them Smash 4 and Smash 5", so he's not actually saying that exactly. He's just saying they're meant to essentially be the same game to a degree. It's closer to Smash 4 and Ultimate Smash 4. They're nearly the same game, just a bit more content in one of 'em.

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Black Friday will indeed be a dark day for Pokemon and Smash fans alike.
Only the Americans. Europeans get ORAS a week later and Smash two weeks later.
And has anyone ever felt so nostalgic you almost teared up? I had that just now with the Melee theme song. >.<

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Ganondorf's sword is only part of his taunt. That's seriously not even comparable. It would've been a different story if it were to appear at all times or part of his moveset and does nothing.

Bowser's shell is just a shell. It never served as a "shield" in any of his games, or at least was definitely not a prominent trait of him. It's not even an "item" of his, it's part of his body.

One of Protoman's specialties IS his shield. It's way too prominent to not give him the ability to block projectiles. It's always on his back or in front. That is part of Protoman's character. It's like removing the gliding ability from Knuckles. Ganondorf still at least retains his dark magic (with the whole dark magic special effects you see from him) and Bowser retaining his fire breathing powers, which are prominent features of their respective characters.
I was pointing out the awkwardness of Ganondorf having a sword and not using it. It's irrelevant where in his figure it is.

Bowser's shell can be seen as a shield. After all it's still a shell- it's obviously very hard. It's common sense that if you punched that shell you should get hurt due to the spikes as well, but despite both the spikes and toughness of his shell, it's treated as a part of his body. Case in point- what should have an effect doesn't.

As for character representation- Ganondorf. Very few things are put into his moveset that identify his character- power and dark magic. But in the end, his moveset was borrowed from captain falcon, which if you want to call that representation, that's your opinion, but I call it lazy.

So one again, about Protoman in regards to his shield: Should he? No. Could he? Yes. Why? Sakurai.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Not a big deal for me I wasn't that interested in getting ORAS either way. I tend to only buy Pokemon games every 3 generations or so anyway.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

Ganondorf can use the sword this time though...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ganondorf never had a sword in OOT. Saying it's one of his defining features is oversaying it. Magic and his physical power is what he showed off the first time. He only uses a sword in some fights, but constantly shows magic and physical prowess. He doesn't need the sword. Just luigify him a bit more and add more magical attacks.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Ganondorf never had a sword in OOT. Saying it's one of his defining features is oversaying it. Magic and his physical power is what he showed off the first time. He only uses a sword in some fights, but constantly shows magic and physical prowess. He doesn't need the sword. Just luigify him a bit more and add more magical attacks.
If I recall right was Twilight Princess and Wind Walker the only times Ganondorf actually fought with swords? As Ganon he has used a trident on a few occasions, and in OOT Ganon used two swords.

That's the most I can recall.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I sort of hoped that Elec Man being an AT meant we would get Proto Man as an alt, but nope. I mean, they already made the model, so why not?

Well, in the meantime, just know that these models...these gorgeous HD models, are the most respect the Mega Man series has gotten in a decade. Even from it's own creators.
In the past decade? I think you're stretching it. In 2004 or so, Mega Man was getting at least one game a year. I'd say about 2011 is when Capcom started ****ing up. But that's way more than a Mega Man Issue.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If I recall right was Twilight Princess and Wind Walker the only times Ganondorf actually fought with swords? As Ganon he has used a trident on a few occasions, and in OOT Ganon used two swords.

That's the most I can recall.
Tech demo as well, which is why OOT Ganondorf had that weird sword in Melee.

He also choke slams Link in WW. And breaks out of the Sages grip and outright removes the Sage's Sword with great power and then kills one. In every game, he shows magic and physical strength. And only two of his three appearances makes his sword(s) notable. He is name-dropped in ALTTP, and was planned for the Oracle games, with no sword in tow either. He wore a cape and looked more like a magical user than anything in the Oracle concept art. I want Dead Man's Volley, though.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Companies don't rush to buy out smaller ones, it's probably gonna take from 3 months to a year for them to get their hands on CapCom and SEGA. But just remember that neither are guaranteed.
I never said I wanted Capcom as a whole to be bought, only Mega Man (when did I mention SEGA too?).

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
No, his sword is definitely not defining, I agree with you there. Still it can give him a little more diversity. Which I feel is something he should have.

I always imagined Ganondorf to be similar to robin in terms of a moveset that fits him.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No, his sword is definitely not defining, I agree with you there. Still it can give him a little more diversity. Which I feel is something he should have.

I always imagined Ganondorf to be similar to robin in terms of a moveset that fits him.
I think more magic might work better myself. I would not mind if he uses the Sword for a few attacks that are identical otherwise if he used his hands/feet. Take his Air Up A. Somebody should mod that. XD

Toon Ganondorf or Ganon(with Trident) as a separate character could work well, though. Both can dual-wield swords as well.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
You know, it really surprises me PETA hasn't done anything yet that implies 'Smash Bros. supports animal cruelty'.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I never said I wanted Capcom as a whole to be bought, only Mega Man (when did I mention SEGA too?).
Yeah. Somehow I doubt Capcom will be completely bought out. Though if things go really bad for them, they could sell off IPs separately like THQ did. Which, honestly, I'd rather them just get their **** together first. And make games that they know will sell and respect their niche. Make Mega Man, Street Fighter and Resident Evil every once in a while. They tried to go for the "COD" for their past few games and it didn't work.

Point is, Capcom should stop chasing waterfalls. And stick to what they knew worked for such a long time. At least until they get themselves in a stable position.

I can agree with that. Though I'd prefer to give him a projectile move. Too bad @ Digital Hazard Digital Hazard is right though. If he did have a sword, people would still complain.

Last edited:

Naoshi

I was pointing out the awkwardness of Ganondorf having a sword and not using it. It's irrelevant where in his figure it is.

Bowser's shell can be seen as a shield. After all it's still a shell- it's obviously very hard. It's common sense that if you punched that shell you should get hurt due to the spikes as well, but despite both the spikes and toughness of his shell, it's treated as a part of his body. Case in point- what should have an effect doesn't.

As for character representation- Ganondorf. Very few things are put into his moveset that identify his character- power and dark magic. But in the end, his moveset was borrowed from captain falcon, which if you want to call that representation, that's your opinion, but I call it lazy.

So one again, about Protoman in regards to his shield: Should he? No. Could he? Yes. Why? Sakurai.
The keyword here is prominent. Ganondorf's prominent feature is not really the sword it's his magic and power. He uses a sword, but that is not what he is all about. He has the Triforce of Power, and his moveset revolves around high offensive attacks and with some magic to go with it. He doesn't feel entirely out of character, his character does look like someone who can pack quite a powerful punch with his fists alone. I do agree that his moveset should differ more from Captain Falcon however, it's something Sakurai should fix. A Luigification would be good enough. Ganondorf still feels like you're actually playing as the character, despite him being a varied clone of Captain Falcon.

And Bowser's shell is only for show, it's not a shield, it never was in Mario games (unless there's one or two games), his shell as a "shield" is not a prominent feature. People don't see Bowser and immediately expect him to use his shell as a shield. Bowser is still Bowser.

Protoman has to carry his shield, it's part of his design and character. Every game he uses his shield. Him being an alt of Mega Man would take away some of his abilities and would feel like I'm playing an artificial Protoman rather than a genuine one. There is a very reasonable reason as to why Sakurai would feel that Protoman is too different be a Mega Man alt. It's not because "Sakurai".

tldr; Ganondorf doesn't feel too weird without his sword because he's still about power and magic, Bowser's shell not being a shield is a normal thing and Prototman wouldn't feel genuine without his shield.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom