• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Yay, I have everyone's trophies from Classic mode... Now to finish All-Star mode and it's really not impressing me at all. Ganondorf's All Star trophy is him with his sword... It's a straight-up freeze frame of his freaking taunt! They didn't even use a freaking palette swap like Zero Suit Samus's which should have used her Zero Mission or Fusion ending clothes. At least Little Mac has him wearing his pink hoodie, but come on, why not have their Final Smashes be their All Star trophies?

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
"Yet, I’m told [to do that] about Smash Bros. But, I guess since a lot of them are children, it cannot be helped."

"Could you please leave it to me to select [characters] with man-hours and costs in mind? However you look at it, the game is a great bargain buy as a result."

Sakurai with the callouts! I love this man :laugh:

Last edited:

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
Guys I'm having a severe problem with smash right now. I cannot, for the life of me find a true main and I just got off a bad losing streak because of testing characters in for glory. Right now I'm maining Rosalina and Greninja but I've been like swapping for Yoshi (who was my #1) and ZSS who I think I'm gonna cut out completely. I tried maining Robin too but that was a bust. For a few days I was taking to Yoshi and Rosalina but I feel like it too much Mario character and I want to represent a different series (even though Yoshi and Rosalina currently have my best win to loss ratio while I've lost with Greninja more than I've won with him so that's not good either)

Should I just stick with Yoshi and Rosalina? Or should I change things up and stick with Greninja and cut Yoshi out? Should I main all three? Or should I try another character (I REALLY like how Pit plays but I cant win with him) I've also tried Fox, Wii Fit Trainer, and Lucario and had mixed results.

For example one of the problems I'm having is against Marth, Lucina, and Little Mac with these two. Who would be better to use against them? Marth and Lucina players just f**king spam counter and its obnoxious. I really wish they didn't buff that move...

Also if anybody could and wants to be an angel, they could spar with me and tell me what I need to improve on. I know I suck but just saying "you suck go home scrub" is not constructive. I need constructive criticism here because I really want to improve.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
*Has been in online for a while*
Stupid lag, every match I have lasts 5 minutes due to it and due to the slow movement I've performing terrible.

Also stupid generic Little Mac users, there are way more characters in the roster.

NintenNess

Smash Journeyman
Guys I'm having a severe problem with smash right now. I cannot, for the life of me find a true main and I just got off a bad losing streak because of testing characters in for glory. Right now I'm maining Rosalina and Greninja but I've been like swapping for Yoshi (who was my #1) and ZSS who I think I'm gonna cut out completely. I tried maining Robin too but that was a bust. For a few days I was taking to Yoshi and Rosalina but I feel like it too much Mario character and I want to represent a different series (even though Yoshi and Rosalina currently have my best win to loss ratio while I've lost with Greninja more than I've won with him so that's not good either)

Should I just stick with Yoshi and Rosalina? Or should I change things up and stick with Greninja and cut Yoshi out? Should I main all three? Or should I try another character (I REALLY like how Pit plays but I cant win with him) I've also tried Fox, Wii Fit Trainer, and Lucario and had mixed results.

For example one of the problems I'm having is against Marth, Lucina, and Little Mac with these two. Who would be better to use against them? Marth and Lucina players just f**king spam counter and its obnoxious. I really wish they didn't buff that move...

Also if anybody could and wants to be an angel, they could spar with me and tell me what I need to improve on. I know I suck but just saying "you suck go home scrub" is not constructive. I need constructive criticism here because I really want to improve.
Just focus on 1 character right now.. If you want to main yoshi, stick to Yoshi for a while, then you can main SZS or Greninja.

I'm a Lucina user, but I don't spam counter everytime I played Lucina. I only used Counter when I'm about get Ko'd and when I'm edge guarding.

D

Deleted member

First things first about mains: If you're dedicated to learning a main, stop caring about your winrate with them. Take losses as a learning experience. "What was I doing wrong?" "What could I have done different?". Look around the boards and learn from people, watch videos on those characters, etc. Learn the characters kit and how they work best, and then fight lvl. 8/9 bots to test those strategies out. That's what really helped me learn Pac-Man.
And what you do depends on the character and how the person it playing as well. Mac, Lucina, or Marth spamming counter? Bait it out and attack when you have the opportunity, or just say "DENIED" and grab them if you can. Somebody rolling around at the speed of sound? Chase and punish when you get the chance. Always try and adapt to the character and the person.
Keep in mind I'm a really average Smash player, but these are just a few tips that I think can get you a long way.

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenNess

Smash Journeyman
First things first about mains: If you're dedicated to learning a main, stop caring about your winrate with them. Take losses as a learning experience. "What was I doing wrong?" "What could I have done different?". Look around the boards and learn from people, watch videos on those characters, etc. Learn the characters kit and how they work best, and then fight lvl. 8/9 bots to test those strategies out. That's what really helped me learn Pac-Man.
And what you do depends on the character as well. Mac, Lucina, or Marth spamming counter? Bait it out and attack when you have the opportunity, or just say "DENIED" and grab them if you can. Somebody rolling around at the speed of sound? Chase and punish when you get the chance.
Keep in mind I'm a really average Smash player, but these are just a few tips that I think can get you a long way.
My main is officially Lucina. Most of time, the people I met online are falling for my counter when they tried to recover.

My secondaries are Jiggs and Robin. I mainly use Jiggs for aerial game and punishing people with rest. I'm not sure how I use my Robin...

EDIT: Fix'd. Now your agony shall end, crazyal.

Last edited:

NintenNess

Smash Journeyman
My main is officially Lucina. Most of time, the people I met online are falling for my counter when they tried to recover.

My secondaries are Jiggs and Robin. I mainly use Jiggs for aerial game and punishing people with rest. I'm not sure how I use my Robin...
EDIT: Also, stick with 1 character for now and focus on getting the combos down and your mindset of your character

D*mn it! Double posted. (✖╭╮✖)

I took some notes from this:

Last edited:

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584

Okay, NintenNess... Make your text brighter. SPARE UUUUSSS

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
And what you do depends on the character and how the person it playing as well. Mac, Lucina, or Marth spamming counter? Bait it out and attack when you have the opportunity, or just say "DENIED" and grab them if you can. Somebody rolling around at the speed of sound? Chase and punish when you get the chance. Always try and adapt to the character and the person.
How would I bait it out exactly? I'm so bad at this. I saw everybody else getting like 80 and 90 percent winrates and I got mad because mine is at 55 right now...I realized that I wasn't having much fun either which lead to me having a losing streak.

Also to someone else who said do one main right now. The problem with that is I'm about on equal level with Rosalina and Yoshi. Like I'm at the point where I'm doing better with Rosalina but my Yoshi is starting to suck. Also Rosalina has a good projectile guard and Yoshi doesn't lol. But thank you guys, you guys are super helpful and I think I'm getting over this phase and starting to play how I want rather than being annoyed that I'm only good with the mario characters haha. I should just stick to what feels right to me rather than cater to something that nobody's gonna care about

D

Deleted member

How would I bait it out exactly? I'm so bad at this. I saw everybody else getting like 80 and 90 percent winrates and I got mad because mine is at 55 right now...I realized that I wasn't having much fun either which lead to me having a losing streak.

Also to someone else who said do one main right now. The problem with that is I'm about on equal level with Rosalina and Yoshi. Like I'm at the point where I'm doing better with Rosalina but my Yoshi is starting to suck. Also Rosalina has a good projectile guard and Yoshi doesn't lol. But thank you guys, you guys are super helpful and I think I'm getting over this phase and starting to play how I want rather than being annoyed that I'm only good with the mario characters haha. I should just stick to what feels right to me rather than cater to something that nobody's gonna care about
Don't worry about your own or other peoples winrates. They really don't matter much.
And by bait it out, I mean kinda feint your attacks. Make it seem like you're going in for a follow up, chances are they'll get scared and counter. Thanks to the long ending lag on counters, that should usually allow you to get a free hit in.
And most importantly, just have fun. This is Smash, the same game where a little boy can put volatile energy balls in his pocket. It's only a game, there's no reason to get upset.

Last edited by a moderator:

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
Just do like me and have thirteen mains.

Though I'm just really good at instantly falling into the playstyle of any character.
Lmao obviously you didn't read my entire post because that was my problem. I can play other characters fine its just not as good as my baes XD

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Just do like me and have thirteen mains.

Though I'm just really good at instantly falling into the playstyle of any character.
The more the merrier. ;)

I can't believe that I'm having so much fun with Ganondorf! Then again, I didn't like that he was a clone in Melee and Ganondorf in Brawl left much to be desired. In SSB4, he's a freaking wall of beat-downs. Oh, getting close to me? THIS IS HYRULE! Waiting at the ledge? FLAME SLAM! Oh, I'm not spiking you to the ground, no, you're my new BASKETBALL! SAY HELLO TO DIN, NAYRU, AND FARORE FOR ME! I heard you like jabs, so I made mine ELECTRIFYING! Oh, this bulk? That's called armor, baggy clothes, and PURE, 100% MUSCLES! HAVE A SKY KICK!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Dr. Mario is fun. I might have him as one of my top three. I'm also liking Samus this time around. I just wished my online didn't suck. So that I could get some decent connections. Either that, or play earlier in the day. I don't know.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
The more the merrier. ;)

I can't believe that I'm having so much fun with Ganondorf! Then again, I didn't like that he was a clone in Melee and Ganondorf in Brawl left much to be desired. In SSB4, he's a freaking wall of beat-downs. Oh, getting close to me? THIS IS HYRULE! Waiting at the ledge? FLAME SLAM! Oh, I'm not spiking you to the ground, no, you're my new BASKETBALL! SAY HELLO TO DIN, NAYRU, AND FARORE FOR ME! I heard you like jabs, so I made mine ELECTRIFYING! Oh, this bulk? That's called armor, baggy clothes, and PURE, 100% MUSCLES! HAVE A SKY KICK!
I read this in the Powerthirst voice.

NOW WITH PREPOSTEROUS AMOUNTS OF TESTOSTERONE! PREPOSTERONE!

NintenNess

Smash Journeyman
The more the merrier. ;)

I read this at CD-I Ganon's voice.

"You dare the bring light to my lair? YOU MUST DIE!"

Stop at 0:16, plz.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I read this in the Powerthirst voice.

NOW WITH PREPOSTEROUS AMOUNTS OF TESTOSTERONE! PREPOSTERONE!
How about Terry Crews's voice? Or Randy Savage aka Macho Man? OOOOH YEAH! Or Samuel L. Jackson. Hmm... I need a list of angry sounding voices.

Y'know what would be hilarious? If a character sounded like Billy Mays or the ShamWow guy.

Last edited:

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
You said you were trying to pick a main.

I responded with "why not both more than one?"
heh well that's the conclusion i came up with XD. both work in certain situations so it helps to have the other when one isn't doing the job

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

Sometimes finding a main could take time. It's not always that easy, and for me it took me years after Brawl's release to settle with Lucas. Gameplay is really important to me -- I need to like how the character plays and "feels". Someone that I could have fun and that I'm decent with. I think this is a good general guide on how to pick mains, though it's a little more competitive oriented: http://smashboards.com/threads/how-you-should-choose-your-competitive-main-in-smash-4.369829/ Some nice ideas are in there, but it's ultimately up to you.

I personally only have like 1 main per game, and the rest are secondaries. If my main is particularly low on the tier list or has many weaknesses, I like to choose secondaries that could compliment my main and that I personally like gameplay-wise. Basically be the strength to my main's weakness. Whatever works for you though.

It's a shame you can't win with Pit considering you really like how he plays. Maybe spend some more time learning him? Watching videos on your mains may help as well, or even recording some of your own matches and rewatching them, especially if you made a lot of mistakes. Sometimes it's also unfamiliarity with match-ups, and the more practice you have with your mains vs certain characters, the better. I'd suggest visiting the Yoshi and Rosalina boards if you want to stick with them, as I'm sure there's some insightful vids on those characters and more helpful people could answer any character-specific questions cuz I don't know a lot lol. Watching tourneys may help too. And it's pretty fun~

And yeah, Super Counter Bros. It sucks. A good thing to remember about baiting is to put the opponent in a vulnerable position, then punish them. An easy way to do this is to watch habits your opponent may have and remember the reactions they did depending on the situation. One time I was against a Shulk, and he seemed to be very counter-happy in the air (I guess he caught on to my aerial follow-ups). So, whenever Shulk was in the air, I seemingly looked liked I was going to attack him, waited for the counter, then attacked him once it finished. If you know someone is going to counter, you can also charge Smash attacks longer then release them once the counter animation is done.

Yeeeah, just my thoughts. :3

Last edited:

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
Sometimes finding a main could take time. It's not always that easy, and for me it took me years after Brawl's release to settle with Lucas. Gameplay is really important to me -- I need to like how the character plays and "feels". Someone that I could have fun and that I'm decent with. I think this is a good general guide on how to pick mains, though it's a little more competitive oriented: http://smashboards.com/threads/how-you-should-choose-your-competitive-main-in-smash-4.369829/ Some nice ideas are in there, but it's ultimately up to you.

I personally only have like 1 main per game, and the rest are secondaries. If my main is particularly low on the tier list or has many weaknesses, I like to choose secondaries that could compliment my main and that I personally like gameplay-wise. Basically be the strength to my main's weakness. Whatever works for you though.

It's a shame you can't win with Pit considering you really like how he plays. Maybe spend some more time learning him? Watching videos on your mains may help as well, or even recording some of your own matches and rewatching them, especially if you made a lot of mistakes. Sometimes it's also unfamiliarity with match-ups, and the more practice you have with your mains vs certain characters, the better. I'd suggest visiting the Yoshi and Rosalina boards if you want to stick with them, as I'm sure there's some insightful vids on those characters and more helpful people could answer any character-specific questions cuz I don't know a lot lol. Watching tourneys may help too. And it's pretty fun~

And yeah, Super Counter Bros. It sucks. A good thing to remember about baiting is to put the opponent in a vulnerable position, then punish them. An easy way to do this is to watch habits your opponent may have and remember the reactions they did depending on the situation. One time I was against a Shulk, and he seemed to be very counter-happy in the air (I guess he caught on to my aerial follow-ups). So, whenever Shulk was in the air, I seemingly looked liked I was going to attack him, waited for the counter, then attacked him once it finished. If you know someone is going to counter, you can also charge Smash attacks longer then release them once the counter animation is done.

Yeeeah, just my thoughts. :3
Ahhhh thank you so much this is super useful! I'll need to look over that link you sent me. Yeah it just seems I need to keep testing things out and practicing but right now it seems i prefer rosalina over yoshi so he might end up being a secondary with rosalina being my main (at least for now). For example today I figured out how viable yoshi's B was where as before I was hesitant to use it because of how useless it was in melee and brawl.

I was so used to having like eight different mains in project m (they were all so good!) where as here its just like "yeah he's not working, she stinks". I guess it just fits my playstyle rather than focusing on what other people like (in this case rosalina and yoshi both fit and are very competitive!)

I mained Link in melee (yeah ha ha, i was like 12 lol) before i picked up marth so you're right it takes time to choose who your true main is and I would need the wii u version to solidify rosalina and yoshi. I'll keep note of when they counter especially considering the buffs they seemingly gave counters in this game.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Ahhhh thank you so much this is super useful! I'll need to look over that link you sent me. Yeah it just seems I need to keep testing things out and practicing but right now it seems i prefer rosalina over yoshi so he might end up being a secondary with rosalina being my main (at least for now). For example today I figured out how viable yoshi's B was where as before I was hesitant to use it because of how useless it was in melee and brawl.

I was so used to having like eight different mains in project m (they were all so good!) where as here its just like "yeah he's not working, she stinks". I guess it just fits my playstyle rather than focusing on what other people like (in this case rosalina and yoshi both fit and are very competitive!)

I mained Link in melee (yeah ha ha, i was like 12 lol) before i picked up marth so you're right it takes time to choose who your true main is and I would need the wii u version to solidify rosalina and yoshi. I'll keep note of when they counter especially considering the buffs they seemingly gave counters in this game.
No problem, and if you're getting the Wii U version too, yeah, it may help solidify who your mains might be. Especially since the controls will be and feel different... who knows, some characters may feel easier to play (or not). =P

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I just got over 3300 feet in the home run contest with Shulk. I'm sure there's a more pro way to do it though. I just spammed the Home run Bat while in Buster mode.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I just got over 3300 feet in the home run contest with Shulk. I'm sure there's a more pro way to do it though. I just spammed the Home run Bat while in Buster mode.
Ganondorf laughs at your puny 3300 ft. Ganondorf style rulez with a Z!

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'm almost to 200 moves unlocked. currently at 182. Seeing as tomorrow I'm going to Houston to visit family, which is a 4 hour drive, I'll be able to get a lot more in during the car ride due to not as many distractions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom