• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
With Smash being a party game (a game for casuals), it's kinda comparable to how Sakurai chooses a newcomer with different demographics and not just the hardcore Smash fanbase.
Yeah in the Wii U one I can now differentiate Pit and Dark Pit.

Thanks Sakurai!
So if you want to make a clone different from their original, give them angry eyebrows. :troll:

Last edited:

Sil

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1032-1490-1609
So... I beat 'Master Clone' as Wario while he was on his bike, and it just kinda... stayed there.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
So... I beat 'Master Clone' as Wario while he was on his bike, and it just kinda... stayed there.

I guess you could say Wario's bike is a real *puts on sunglasses* HOG!

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
So, I'd ask every person here: 1. What is your single favorite/most satisfying aspect of Smash 4? 2. What is the most disappointing thing to you?
For me, it's:
1. Winning a tight online battle with no lag.
2. Robin. Just feels so clunky, I can't main him like I thought I would.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
As for Dark Pit, they may have had not enough time to tinker with him a little more without disrupting the game's balance. Lucina's change isn't that big either, but the nature of it has different and more distinct consequences on her gameplay style.
The difference between Lucina and Dark Pit is the formers changes effects most attacks while the latter effects only two. Between Marth and Lucina, Lucina is more beginner friendly due to her attacks being consistent, however because of that consistency she can't do techniques like Marth can by manipulating the sweet and sourspot spot of the Falchion. To a generic player, they prefer one or the other based on which character they feel more comfortable with. Want sweet and sour sauce shenanigans? Pick Marth. Want a more vanilla approach? Pick Lucina.

It also applies to other clones too. Want to be a jack of all trades? Pick Mario. Want a more mighty glacier/glass cannon take of said idea? Pick Doc. Want power over speed? Pick Link. Want speed over power? Pick Young/Toon Link.

With Pit and Dark Pit, they feel too interchangeable. There are differences sure, but ultimately their playstyles are the same. Attacks hit with the same power, speed, and range, with no variables to it. Same thing with their movement. So the sense of preferences is blurred, which in my opinion is a bad way to make a clone character. Clone characters should be viewed as alternatives, with the choice being that you like the moveset but you may prefer a different playstyle accompanying it.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Have him high five Wario and have an exploding planet in the background and Shadow the Hedgehog carrying a Silver Bow and "Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series" logo. And a tongue licking Wario. And a sign that says "not a clone"
On it

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
So, I'd ask every person here: 1. What is your single favorite/most satisfying aspect of Smash 4? 2. What is the most disappointing thing to you?
For me, it's:
1. Winning a tight online battle with no lag.
2. Robin. Just feels so clunky, I can't main him like I thought I would.
1. Soundtrack, the remixes and selections are good.
2. All-star feels easy, even on hard.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The difference between Lucina and Dark Pit is the formers changes effects most attacks while the latter effects only two. Between Marth and Lucina, Lucina is more beginner friendly due to her attacks being consistent, however because of that consistency she can't do techniques like Marth can by manipulating the sweet and sourspot spot of the Falchion. To a generic player, they prefer one or the other based on which character they feel more comfortable with. Want sweet and sour sauce shenanigans? Pick Marth. Want a more vanilla approach? Pick Lucina.

It also applies to other clones too. Want to be a jack of all trades? Pick Mario. Want a more mighty glacier/glass cannon take of said idea? Pick Doc. Want power over speed? Pick Link. Want speed over power? Pick Young/Toon Link.

With Pit and Dark Pit, they feel too interchangeable. There are differences sure, but ultimately their playstyles are the same. Attacks hit with the same power, speed, and range, with no variables to it. Same thing with their movement. So the sense of preferences is blurred, which in my opinion is a bad way to make a clone character. Clone characters should be viewed as alternatives, with the choice being that you like the moveset but you may prefer a different playstyle accompanying it.
I am very well aware of that.

I mean, you know me as a Dark Pit fan, but I completely agree that he brings nothing new to the gameplay. Putting it bluntly, he's a glorified costume gameplay-wise.

However, like I said, from a development standpoint, both Lucina and Dark Pit had very minute changes. It's just that Lucina's changes end up being more consequential to her gameplay than Dark Pit's are. Lucina's lack of a tipper affects her gameplay as a whole, while Dark Pit's arrow and Arm changes are just as slight, but end up not affecting the gameplay that much.

Dr. Mario, as well as the six clones in Melee, had more work put into them that made them clearly more distinct.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Doc is distinct because he wasn't changed, actually.

By the way, I found this.

I never knew "Bidoof!" was onomatopoeia...

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Have him high five Wario and have an exploding planet in the background and Shadow the Hedgehog carrying a Silver Bow and "Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series" logo. And a tongue licking Wario. And a sign that says "not a clone"
Doctah Mawio + F.L.U.D.D..png
All aboard the Hype Train

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Doc is distinct because he wasn't changed, actually.

By the way, I found this.

I never knew "Bidoof!" was onomatopoeia...
What do you mean? Bidoof is new and innovative. It's just what the onomatopoeia industry needs!

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Raheem The Dream said:
Hey, PUNK! Wanna settle our disagreement in SMASH 4 or unless that you're a chicken! P.S: http://youtu.be/VTDCEiBeVAY
They just left this on my profile.
SHE IS GOING TO MEET MR. GREEN & WATCH WHEN I GET THE GAME.
MR. GREEN & WATCH AIN'T NO JOKE.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Ugh, the Dark Pit discussion just never ends. I'm definitely not a fan but he's in the game so no can do. Not surprised at him not getting his own trailer, appearing in Palutena's trailer is enough. No "Newcomer"-label on his page is a bit weird though, maybe it's not considered necessary for secret characters. We'll see when DHD and Bowser Jr. appear.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
This is why I don't talk to hardly anybody on Facebook, they bash anything you like, I swear if they bash Smash Bros, it's on! :mad:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Ugh, the Dark Pit discussion just never ends. I'm definitely not a fan but he's in the game so no can do. Not surprised at him not getting his own trailer, appearing in Palutena's trailer is enough. No "Newcomer"-label on his page is a bit weird though, maybe it's not considered necessary for secret characters. We'll see when DHD and Bowser Jr. appear.
I do remember that Brawl Dojo made no distinction between secret veterans or newcomers, having them lumped together in the same category, so...

This is why I don't talk to hardly anybody on Facebook, they bash anything you like, I swear if they bash Smash Bros, it's on! :mad:

Settle it in Smash? Oh wait... :ohwell:

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
Knowing Dark Pit was a late addition that made it in the game only because he was easy to make from existing data, Im happy he made it in and made the roster a little bigger. Between either having either Dark Pit or nothing, I'd choose Dark Pit.

Though Dark Pit would choose nothing as it represents the dark void in his heart :4darkpit:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
We couldn't just have Pit without his other half hanging around, picking fights and crashing the party like nobody's business.

I'd say he pretty much crashed some hype trains in his arrival.

Smash fans: "Dark Pit, you just dropped in to crash our hype?"
:4darkpit:: "Uh-uh." :smirk:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Dark Pit is a character I feel could have been completely different from Pit, but I deal because it's not like I play as him anyways. :4littlemac: :4lucario: :4rob: :4sonic:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom