• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Still guesses, still a matter of luck.

In other words, still futile.

It gets even more embarrassing when people think they're "fighting for their inclusion" and all that pointless melodrama when characters aren't confirmed.
Well, speculation, by definition, is making of guesses about a future event. Speculation definitely wasn't futile, and I don't appreciate talking of the scene where I invested quite a lot of time and energy into. The tears and rage that followed the disconfirmations don't nullify the correct guesses that we got.

It's Kill La Kill's protagonist.

Anyway, speaking of anime, Durarara!! is returning next year with three parts. The first will begin in January 2015, the second will start in mid-2015 and the final part will start in January 2016. This will be good.
Speaking of Durarara!!, I was surprised when I found that Ikebukuro is an actual location in Tokyo.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
On the topic of unpopular opinions, I don't like Animal Crossing.
I never played it myself. So I can only say that it doesn't appeal to me. Same reason I don't like slice of life shows. I prefer action-y games I guess. Though I'd probably play Tetris or Bejeweled too.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I hate how the Miiverse terms updated so I can't log on there using that shared "Redditguy" account anymore. So I'm pretty much in the dark about the new PotD until it's shown on the official site a few hours later...

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well, speculation, by definition, is making of guesses about a future event. Speculation definitely wasn't futile, and I don't appreciate talking of the scene where I invested quite a lot of time and energy into. The tears and rage that followed the disconfirmations don't nullify the correct guesses that we got.
A lot of it left a bad taste to me. If you remember, I was dropping out of it towards the end.

And how wasn't it futile, when we don't have control over what's going on behind the scenes? You telling me speculating about the game somehow makes the characters more likely?

Speaking of Durarara!!, I was surprised when I found that Ikebukuro is an actual location in Tokyo.
Indeed it is! The train station there is relatively well-known.

And had a Smash 3DS ad poster like most train stations in the city.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Oh, but they didn't get the characters because they speculated they would be in.

They just got lucky. They just guessed stuff about the game and got it right.

I was just stating how speculation is futile. In the end, we just don't know what will happen and, no matter how many arguments happen, the final result is the same.
Of course they didn't. And a sports team doesn't win because of all the people who think they will win.
It doesn't matter if you think the Vikings are going to win the football game. You're own thoughts aren't going to affect whether they win or not. It's all about the players, coaches, and other things which directly affect the game. Things you have no control over.
But it's not "futile." Well, it is with respect to one thing - the eventual outcome.
But that's not what it's all about. People speculate for enjoyment. (And gambling, but let's ignore that for now...) If there wasn't something to be enjoyed, then I don't really think anybody would do it. And it doesn't matter whether that be enjoyment from the journey or the destination.
I had plenty of fun speculating, regardless of if I was wrong or not. It wasn't "futile" in that regard. To say that this thing that I and many people gave so much time to, found so much enjoyment out of is completely and utterly "futile" in every sense... Absolutely useless and accomplished nothing...

I'm sorry, but that is incredibly condescending and offensive.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Unpopular opinion time: I think this isn't that bad as people make it out to be.
Sure I've lost as many braincells as I can count in 45 secs but...

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
You know, probably the most ironic thing in the world to me is that genuinely "happy" people that love to make a statement about how "happy" they are tend to be the biggest assholes and jerkoffs in the world since they love to put down, ridicule and shun everyone who isn't happy like they've committed the greatest sin of mankind or something. XD

Not all of them do this, however. Just a huge majority. ¦D

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I made a thread about the new tech.

So its probably going to get patched out.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Unpopular opinion time: I think this isn't that bad as people make it out to be.
I, honestly, like that video.
Along with this one:

I mean, Puzzle Plank is so catchy! It's hard to ruin it.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I like all characters in Smash so far.

I'm almost immune to character hate. Unless said character is yandere. For example, Tharja from FEA. She's unlikable, creepy and overall disturbing. I question the mentality of those who like her.
I would've liked Tharja if her character didn't came across as pandering. The whole "I OBSESS OVER THE PLAYER'S AVATAR" just comes across as fanservice baiting. It's incredibly cheap and I really hate it.

Last edited:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I, honestly, like that video.
Along with this one:

I mean, Puzzle Plank is so catchy! It's hard to ruin it.
Oh my.

Popular Opinion: This is superior to that.

The Truth: This is superior to both.
What is that anime?
Also, I see your vid and raise you a cleary superior vid.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Of course they didn't. And a sports team doesn't win because of all the people who think they will win.
It doesn't matter if you think the Vikings are going to win the football game. You're own thoughts aren't going to affect whether they win or not. It's all about the players, coaches, and other things which directly affect the game. Things you have no control over.
In other words, the very definition of futile.

What's the point of doing something if it will accomplish nothing?

But it's not "futile." Well, it is with respect to one thing - the eventual outcome.
But that's not what it's all about. People speculate for enjoyment. (And gambling, but let's ignore that for now...) If there wasn't something to be enjoyed, then I don't really think anybody would do it. And it doesn't matter whether that be enjoyment from the journey or the destination.
I had plenty of fun speculating, regardless of if I was wrong or not. It wasn't "futile" in that regard. To say that this thing that I and many people gave so much time to, found so much enjoyment out of is completely and utterly "futile" in every sense... Absolutely useless and accomplished nothing...

Okay, there are people who enjoyed all that. Good for them, but all the **** that happened in the days leading towards release and the countless flame wars from before then just left a bad taste for me.

You did see the melodrama in the Ridley and K. Rool threads, didn't you? I'm talking about that sort of behavior, where people become full of themselves thanks to their fantasies on how likely the characters are and set off massive tantrums when they're wronged out.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
To say that this thing that I and many people gave so much time to, found so much enjoyment out of is completely and utterly "futile" in every sense... Absolutely useless and accomplished nothing...

The speculation you people enjoyed was completely and utterly futile in every sense, absolutely useless and accomplished absolutely nothing.

I still think this and do not feel ashamed in the slightest for it. ¦D

I do, however, also believe that you people still have every right to enjoy it as you please and should pay the rest of us no mind while we pay you no mind. <3

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Why do people think it's bad? I actually liked it. I guess people get turned off by the diabetes, but I like it, honestly.

People only speculated based on only popularity in general.
Aye, that was their biggest fault. Well, can't blame them. Popularity was the main criteria for Brawl, and people expected a repeat of that.

Okay, there are people who enjoyed all that. Good for them, but all the **** that happened in the days leading towards release and the countless flame wars from before then just left a bad taste for me.

You did see the melodrama in the Ridley and K. Rool threads, didn't you? I'm talking about that sort of behavior, where people become full of themselves thanks to their fantasies on how likely the characters are and set off massive tantrums when they're wronged out.
You're focusing too much on the negative. There was a day or two of extreme whining. But there were good times too. You do remember how speculation was back in 2012 and 2013, right? It was very civil, and that was why most of us joined the site in the first place.

Also, you really should avoid generalizing the whole of the speculation scene as futile. That's a very condescending attitude to have. People have spent a LOT of time into it. Saying it straight in their face that the time they spent was a waste is not very nice, is it?

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Aye, that was their biggest fault. Well, can't blame them. Popularity was the main criteria for Brawl, and people expected a repeat of that.
And it came to bite them in the back. (Even though most newcomers this time around are popular characters anyway. Overall, more to the Japanese players, but still.)

You're focusing too much on the negative. There was a day or two of extreme whining. But there were good times too. You do remember how speculation was back in 2012 and 2013, right? It was very civil, and that was why most of us joined the site in the first place.

Also, you really should avoid generalizing the whole of the speculation scene as futile. That's a very condescending attitude to have. People have spent a LOT of time into it. Saying it straight in their face that the time they spent was a waste is not very nice, is it?
Besides people enjoying all that, it accomplished nothing. This is the cold hard fact. Just because the truth is unpleasant, it doesn't mean it shouldn't be said.

I did spend my own time in doing that, but I eventually realized how futile it was and dropped out of it.

If you enjoyed speculating, good for you, but the truth won't change anyway. The problem with speculation is that people went from speculation to expectation. Then, things went downhill.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Didn't you once speculate because of "casualness" and uniqueness related to said casualness? I know there was Kawashima. :laugh:
I was a unique-focused speculator indeed, but I stopped believing that after a while, because there was more than just uniqueness to consider when it came to newcomers. It was fun while I was that kind of guy.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Besides people enjoying all that, it accomplished nothing. This is the cold hard fact. Just because the truth is unpleasant, it doesn't mean it shouldn't be said.
I'm going to disagree there. Just because something is true, you don't have to be blunt about it. What's the benefit in that?
No offense, Frost, but to me, it looks like you're blindly hating on speculation.

Last edited:

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294

What's the point of doing something if it will accomplish nothing?
That's just narrow minded. What you see as "accomplishments" and what I see as "accomplishments" are entirely independent, and you have no right to talk down to anybody who thinks the time they spent here was worth something.
I see the many people I met, the fun I had, the overall enjoyment I got out of my time here as an accomplishment.
Well, granted, "accomplishment" isn't really the best word. What I mean is I wouldn't say it was a waste of time at least in some regards.

I can understand why you would think that but I don't really see what it has to do with any fun anybody had along the way being "futile."
Regardless, I do see that red banner; you and the other mods had to be the ones to put up with it and try to keep it tame, so, again, I can understand your thinking that.
As someone who frequented the Ridley and K. Rool threads, (so, yes, I did see the melodrama) I'll apologize now for what happened. I think there's more I could've done to help avoid that outcome. More many people could've done...
But to generalize the entire time everyone spent here based on what happened at particular moments is, while a little understandable given your position during all of it, still condescending and, overall, unnecessary.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Expectation to me is what ruined speculation. Entitlement ruined character threads for me.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm going to disagree there. Just because something is true, you don't have to be blunt about it. What's the benefit in that?
I'm not one to sugarcoat things.

No offense, Frost, but to me, it looks like you're blindly hating on speculation just because it's the popular thing to do right now.
I saw the melodrama on the release day. The overreaction, the ******** and the childishness just because their precious "deserving and so likely" fictional characters weren't in a massive multiplayer crossover.

I couldn't tolerate and understand such behavior. It left a really bad taste.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy my time here while it was civil. You know, 2012-2013, before the first trailer. Back when people discussed possibilities with mostly an open mind, but then characters started being revealed and things got uglier each moment, culminating in the roster leak and its subsequent confirmation. The last parts are what went wrong.

People got too emotional over this and the forums became an unpleasant place for the most part.

Perhaps I just needed to vent out or something, but some of the things I say are still true.

That's just narrow minded. What you see as "accomplishments" and what I see as "accomplishments" are entirely independent, and you have no right to talk down to anybody who thinks the time they spent here was worth something.
I see the many people I met, the fun I had, the overall enjoyment I got out of my time here as an accomplishment.
Well, granted, "accomplishment" isn't really the best word. What I mean is I wouldn't say it was a waste of time at least in some regards.

I can understand why you would think that but I don't really see what it has to do with any fun anybody had along the way being "futile."
Regardless, I do see that red banner; you and the other mods had to be the ones to put up with it and try to keep it tame, so, again, I can understand your thinking that.
As someone who frequented the Ridley and K. Rool threads, (so, yes, I did see the melodrama) I'll apologize now for what happened. I think there's more I could've done to help avoid that outcome. More many people could've done...
But to generalize the entire time everyone spent here based on what happened at particular moments is, while a little understandable given your position during all of it, still condescending and, overall, unnecessary.
Fair enough, I suppose.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
How many trophies do you guys have? I'm at 561, pretty busy doing all-star mode with every character (always the worst part of any Smash Bros. game).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I guess...

I saw the melodrama on the release day. The overreaction, the *****ing and the childishness just because their precious "deserving and so likely" fictional characters weren't in a massive multiplayer crossover.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy my time here while it was civil. You know, 2012-2013, before the first trailer. Back when people discussed possibilities with mostly an open mind, but then characters started being revealed and things got uglier each moment, culminating in the roster leak and its subsequent confirmation. The last parts are what went wrong.

People got too emotional over this and the forums became an unpleasant place for the most part.

Perhaps I just needed to vent out or something, but some of the things I say are still true.
I know, I saw the melodrama too. The massive salt, tears and rage. The blind Sakurai hate. And all that. Yes, it turned me off too.
I think it comes down to how we see things. You've still not let it go, it seems. I opted to forget it as quickly as I could. I understand how it might have ruined the whole thing for you, but I see as nothing more than a bad spot in an overall positive experience.

Anyways, you probably can't stand this place at all, I assume? :p
http://smashboards.com/social-forum...ool-isaac-snake-ice-climbers-wolf-lucas.1740/

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title

I saw the melodrama on the release day. The overreaction, the *****ing and the childishness just because their precious "deserving and so likely" fictional characters weren't in a massive multiplayer crossover.

Some people are annoying at times and act such entitled brats that it is impossible to even reason with them. There is only so much what one can fit in so many content into a game before time of development runs out. They don't even keep that in mind and get upset at clones (just the idea of clones) without keeping in mind that they take WAY less development time than an entire newcomer.

It's unfortunate how people can be.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I know, I saw the melodrama too. The massive salt, tears and rage. The blind Sakurai hate. And all that. Yes, it turned me off too.
I think it comes down to how we see things. You've still not let it go, it seems. I opted to forget it as quickly as I could. I understand how it might have ruined the whole thing for you, but I see as nothing more than a bad spot in an overall positive experience.
Like I said, it really left a bad taste.

I mean, there are things I didn't like back then, but come on. It's just a game! Is it really worth it to get upset over it just because of a bunch of characters?

As bummed as I am with the cuts (though I've moved on already), I will just stay away from that place.

No. Just, no.

Some people are annoying at times and act such entitled brats that it is impossible to even reason with them. There is only so much what one can fit in so many content into a game before time of development runs out.

It's unfortunate how people can be.
This. So much this. Truer words couldn't have been stated.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Butbutbut....You're a member in that group. How many times have you posted there? Zero? :laugh:
I'm aware of that. I just accepted the invite, not really caring about it afterwards.

I just moved on the cuts and lost my interest in DLC movements. As of now, we don't even know if there will be DLC or not. Sure, there's evidence the game is ready to handle downloadable characters and stages, but until official word is given, it's nothing but uncertainty.

For now, I will just enjoy the game as it is. Though it doesn't mean it is immune to criticism, the negatives are overshadowed by the positives. Who am I to complain?

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Is that seriously a thing?

Grief.

People just need to let go.
Huh... I had forgotten all about that subgroup. I was invited to it at one point, but I don't think I ever looked at it for more then a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom