• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Did you know that during software development (so, video games included), programming usually is the part less time is spent on?

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
I hope all that are able here are enjoying Smash 3DS: Ground Zeroes.

It's a great demo for what it is.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Makes sense, unless modeling does not count as programming?
Usually programming simply refers to the actual physical computer code that makes up a system. Modeling is generally a different catagory all together.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Did you know that during software development (so, video games included), programming usually is the part less time is spent on?
Nowadays. Stuff like 3D modelling takes up the bulk of man hours. That said, programming the engine and the game takes the entire length of the game development, being mandatory to get the assets running! Just not as many people have to do it as some other jobs, so like you said, less time, less man hours. It's not like voices where even something like The Last of Us you eventually finish the game without them because they are done.

Modeling is not programming. Modeling is modeling.
And a very fine craft indeed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And a very fine craft indeed.
Of course. I was just pointing out that they are two completely different things. I have nothing but respect for good modelers. All I can do is make a cube in max, and that's not hard at all.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Modeling is not programming. Modeling is modeling.
Usually programming simply refers to the actual physical computer code that makes up a system. Modeling is generally a different catagory all together.
You're right, I did not know why I even said that. I must sound terribly ignorant.
Although, Kermit, if I actually did not know the difference admittedly I wouldn't know that from your post. :p

Is that so? That's surprising. If anything you would think it'd take the longest.
I can see it. Modeling generally requires...well, modeling, as well as acquiring and setting up actors for mocap. Music requires bands, sometimes, or even whole orchestras. And obviously, the game concept itself could take many years to actually form. Then, if it's a huge, corporate effort, finding people who are even going to make it will take a lot of time.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Most of the time spent on software development actually is planning and designing things before actually implementing them.

It's stuff I'm learning from college.

I actually am quite aware of how development works and I can tell a developer's worst enemy is time. More often than not, there are many ideas left behind in development because there's not enough time to include them.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Since everyone had spoken about possible ideas of reviving Murasame Castle yesterday, I've taken the liberty of creating such a topic in pure Mysterious Murasame Castle group. The overall idea is that we can share our ideas including concepts like voice actors, plot, gameplay, rating, playable characters, genre, and whatnot. If any of you are interested, then I can invite that person to join the feudal clan and let them give us their ideas. After all, there are so many possibilities to talk about before Nintendo ca=ould make the final decision themselves in the future.

http://smashboards.com/threads/murasame-castle-reboot-ideas.369031/

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Most of the time spent on software development actually is planning and designing things before actually implementing them.
Right. The bulk of most game's development is spent coming up with it.

I actually am quite aware of how development works and I can tell a developer's worst enemy is time. More often than not, there are many ideas left behind in development because there's not enough time to include them.
Also very true, and a well-known truth by :mewtwomelee:.

Last edited:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984

Like the fact that if there was more time during Brawl development, :mewtwomelee: and :roymelee: fanboys wouldm't have raged over :lucario: and :ike:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Is that the case for Smash or just any game?

We do know that they make the art assets from scratch, while they have an existing base to build from.

EDIT: Nvm, I get it. It's a general case.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Like the fact that if there was more time during Brawl development, :mewtwomelee: and :roymelee: fanboys wouldm't have raged over :lucario: and :ike:
Indeed.

And people wouldn't be ******** about Lucas, Wolf, Ice Climbers and Mewtwo not returning in Smash 4.

Is that the case for Smash or just any game?

We do know that they make the art assets from scratch, while they have an existing base to build from.

EDIT: Nvm, I get it. It's a general case.
General case. Of course, things vary from case to case.

D

Deleted member

And people wouldn't be *****ing about Lucas, Wolf, Ice Climbers and Mewtwo not returning in Smash 4.
Not necessarily. It was technical issues that affected the Grabbers, not time. As for Lucas, something tells me that he was a pre-determined cut.

Soul.

Meh, I don't think the 3DS version is a "demo". It's just an opinion lol.
inb4can'tgetusedto3dscontrols

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Not necessarily. It was technical issues that affected the Grabbers, not time. As for Lucas, something tells me that he was a pre-determined cut.
Hey Golden, were you ecstatic about Dr. Mario retuning to the roster? He was the best of the Melee clones and made the most sense to return (Sorry Toon Link and Pichu).

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
I've been thinking about changing my avy but I really like this drawing of Rosalina.
You should change your description, though. It was correct when you had Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds as your avatar but it's incorrect now. ;)

D

Deleted member

Hey Golden, were you ecstatic about Dr. Mario retuning to the roster? He was the best of the Melee clones and made the most sense to return (Sorry Toon Link and Pichu).

This pretty much summed up my reaction to the leak being real in context of Dr. Mario.

EDIT: Had to get a different gif. The old one got replaced by an angry Mario.

Last edited by a moderator:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
You should change your description, though. It was correct when you had Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds as your avatar but it's incorrect now. ;)
It actually has nothing to do with Lucina. It's a nickname I got from another forum. It's a long story. lol

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Dr. Mario returning immediately reminded me of the fights Golden and Diddy used to have. I kinda see it as Golden having the last laugh.

I expected neither to get in, honestly, but I was on Doc's side, so I'm happy.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

This pretty much summed up my reaction to the leak being real in context of Dr. Mario.

EDIT: Had to get a different gif. The old one got replaced by an angry Mario.
If you've seen the Fossil Fighter's trophy, there appears to be a mini blue T-Rex with them. They finally know who's the real prehistoric predator of the bunch. :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom