• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I didn't play the Ice Climbers that much, but I found his two-in-one mechanic interesting and unique.

I do have attachments to all Smash characters, considering I play mostly as random characters. You could call the random button my true main. :p

In an ideal world, no cuts would ever happen.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I didn't play the Ice Climbers that much, but I found his two-in-one mechanic interesting and unique.

I do have attachments to all Smash characters, considering I play mostly as random characters. You could call the random button my true main. :p

In an ideal world, no cuts would ever happen.
If no cuts ever happened, then we would have kept Young Link and never had Toon Link. That's not an ideal world to me.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If no cuts ever happened, then we would have kept Young Link and never had Toon Link. That's not an ideal world to me.
I consider Toon Link as a successor to Young Link, considering they both fill the role of a younger version of Link, something that Sakurai feels it's important for Smash.

Pichu and Young Link returning?

I wouldn't mind seeing Pichu back, to be honest.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
For the next Smash, I will still be hopeful for all veterans to return (except Young Link because of redundancies with Toon Link).

Not a realistic expectation, I'm well aware of it, but it would be pretty great to see it happen. (There probably would exist people ******** about it anyway.)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I was actually pretty decent with Pichu in Melee, as far as I'm concerned, he's welcome back to Smash Bros any time.
I do understand that Gen 2 does need more repesentation, but only if they at least nerf the damage he earns from his own electrocution. That suicide damage gimmick made him more of a riskier character to play as and low tier in Melee.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
For the next Smash, I will still be hopeful for all veterans to return (except Young Link because of redundancies with Toon Link).

Not a realistic expectation, I'm well aware of it, but it would be pretty great to see it happen. (There probably would exist people *****ing about it anyway.)
Is it wrong that I consider Toon Link as a redesign of Young Link? I mean, Toon Link is about the same age as Young Link, right?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I sort of want to make a Smash fangame that doesn't have any extravagant new character additions; it simply has every character ever included in the series.
Yes, that would be five Fire Emblem characters, and nine Pokemon characters.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Young Link and Toon Link fill the same role in the roster, hence the two will never appear together.

Toon Link now also holds the advantage of being more popular and appearing in more Smash games, so I think he will be staying in Smash. Between the two, Toon Link is now the better choice.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Young Link and Toon Link fill the same role in the roster, hence the two will never appear together.
Toon Link now also holds the advantage of being more popular and appearing in more Smash games, so I think he will be staying in Smash. Between the two, Toon Link is now the better choice.
Toon Link arguable has more star power than regular Link. We should get the best of both worlds and have Wind Waker Link and Ocarina of Time everyone else.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The reality of the situation is that the larger the roster gets the more and more likely character cuts are going to happen. The fact is each cycle we want new characters and usually a bunch of them. That just doesn't really come without having to sacrifice other characters as the Roster simply cannot grow indefinitely, there is simply not enough time in a development cycle to accomplish it.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
I sort of want to make a Smash fangame that doesn't have any extravagant new character additions; it simply has every character ever included in the series.
Yes, that would be five Fire Emblem characters, and nine Pokemon characters.
Honestly, if I was to ever make a Smash fan-game, I would never make it a Smash-themed game. As in, I would pick a different theme than Nintendo characters, like all Konami characters, or all Zelda characters, or Namco X Sega or Sonic the Fighters 2 or something along these lines.

...and by the way, can I just say Super Smash Flash having anime characters is pretty stupid?

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The reality of the situation is that the larger the roster gets the more and more likely character cuts are going to happen. The fact is each cycle we want new characters and usually a bunch of them. That just doesn't really come without having to sacrifice other characters as the Roster simply cannot grow indefinitely, there is simply not enough time in a development cycle to accomplish it.
That's the sad compromise.

At least we have the original twelve.
:4mario::4luigi::4link::4samus::4kirby::4falcon::4yoshi::4fox::4dk::ness2::4pikachu::jigglypuff:

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
...and by the way, can I just say Super Smash Flash having anime characters is pretty stupid?
You can, because I completely agree with you. It would be worse if the plans to bring more fanmade characters in weren't discontinued, like in SSF1 with the Sonic-fanmade characters Blue and Blade.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well, off to play Bravely Default, another amazing game on the amazing handheld console known as the 3DS.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You can, because I completely agree with you. It would be worse if the plans to bring more fanmade characters in weren't discontinued, like in SSF1 with the Sonic-fanmade characters Blue and Blade.
Original character - do not steal! :troll:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Well, off to play Bravely Default, another amazing game on the amazing handheld console known as the 3DS.
I've heard really great stories about it. Is it really that good?

And just imagine the salt when Smash Wii U sells terrible, forcing Nintendo to release Smash 6 as handheld-only. :awesome:

Original character - do not steal! :troll:
I wonder if @ Jason the Yoshi Jason the Yoshi is Cleod9 in disguise. :awesome:

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Honestly, if I was to ever make a Smash fan-game, I would never make it a Smash-themed game. As in, I would pick a different theme than Nintendo characters, like all Konami characters, or all Zelda characters, or Namco X Sega or Sonic the Fighters 2 or something along these lines.
Agreed. I know someone on these boards with a hypothetical Sega Smash Bros. roster. Maybe it's you.
But now that you mention it, a Zelda-exclusive Smash Bros. would rock!

Finally, after all these years, Midna, Skull Kid and Ghirahim get their REVENGE!

Knuckles the Knuckles

NNID
Dromader
I've heard really great stories about it. Is it really that good?

And just imagine the salt when Smash Wii U sells terrible, forcing Nintendo to release Smash 6 as handheld-only. :awesome:
That would literally end me. I mean, unless Nintendo never makes another home console at all and a new powerhouse handheld is all we will get, then I guess I would deal.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I doubt that Smash for Wii U will sell badly. Not as much as the 3DS, but it will draw in crowds like MK8 did.

Knuckles the Knuckles

NNID
Dromader
Agreed. I know someone on these boards with a hypothetical Sega Smash Bros. roster. Maybe it's you.
But now that you mention it, a Zelda-exclusive Smash Bros. would rock!

Finally, after all these years, Midna, Skull Kid and Ghirahim get their REVENGE!
Wasnt me, I only ever made a "Proper Sony Bros" character roster, but that idea sounds pretty good. Now I need to hunt it down and see if he included Kiryu....

(Googles Cleod9)
Thats the guy who makes fan based Smash games with Comic Book characters!!!
Huh, honestly, thats the only way I see ever getting Marvel vs DC, unless of course Disney decides to just buy them like they oftem randomly do. And if thats the case, then get Capcom on the phone for it.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
And thus why feminazis hated Super Princess Peach for "sexist" reasons.
Feminazis hate everything. It wouldn't surprise me if they're gonna be salty about Palutena's panties ('This is so sexist!'). And with PETA ('A yellow mouse fighting a dog fighting a fox wearing clothes fighting a bird wearing clothes is completely not done') probably getting salty as well... I can't wait! I hope PETA makes another game.

Last edited:

Crescendo

Smash Journeyman
Considering how excellent Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed was, I wouldn't mind a Sega Smash Bros to be honest.
I think they definitely have the potential to make something that could stand up to Smash quality wise. But I don't think Sega would dare to do that since they're pretty friendly with Nintendo now.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
What do you guys believe would happen to the roster or game if Sakurai would transfer his title of Smash Bros. development leader to another person/company? Considering his recent injury that makes his job tougher to deal with.

Do you think this would put one or two of the original 12 at risk of getting cut? (e.g. Jigglypuff or Ness.) Do you think they'd pay more attention to fan requested characters? Do you think they could make Smash Bros. better or worse than how Sakurai approaches it?

Discuss.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Considering how excellent Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed was, I wouldn't mind a Sega Smash Bros to be honest.
I think they definitely have the potential to make something that could stand up to Smash quality wise. But I don't think Sega would dare to do that since they're pretty friendly with Nintendo now.
Give me Toejam & Earl, Phantom R, Bug, Miku Hatsune, Prince Ali (Beyond Oasis), Axel Stone, and Selvaria Bles! That would be the best Sega related crossover in history (No offense to those who like Superstars Tennis and the All Stars Racing games).

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
What do you guys believe would happen to the roster or game if Sakurai would transfer his title of Smash Bros. development leader to another person/company? Considering his recent injury that makes his job tougher to deal with.

Do you think this would put one or two of the original 12 at risk of getting cut? (e.g. Jigglypuff or Ness.) Do you think they'd pay more attention to fan requested characters? Do you think they could make Smash Bros. better or worse than how Sakurai approaches it?

Discuss.

I'm mostly afraid the new guy would only look at recent titles and how well they sell, without giving any rekindled love to retro characters.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Discuss.

Really, it all depends on the developer. As many have different practices on what's right and wrong;. Maybe they'll be better than Sakurai, or they could be far worse. It all comes down to who we're talking about.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Discuss.

Yes and no to both.
On the one hand, yes, Jigglypuff and Ness aren't actually "in" characters. However, they're sacred for having been in every installment and beloved by people who've never played Earthbound or the original Pokemon. Unless development is handled by a ****ty director who hates fan demand, I don't see them being cut.

And to the second point, in terms of game design, Sakurai is a genius. He also cares deeply about his projects. I think that whether or not someone else could do a better job than him is irrelevant at this point, as he will probably be supervising anyway.
But really, it depends on who takes the job. For example, I wouldn't want Miyamoto or Aonuma manning a Smash game.

EDIT: tl;dr'd my MisterVideoGaming, I think?

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Yes and no to both.
On the one hand, yes, Jigglypuff and Ness aren't actually "in" characters. However, they're sacred for having been in every installment and beloved by people who've never played Earthbound or the original Pokemon. Unless development is handled by a ****ty director who hates fan demand, I don't see them being cut.

And to the second point, in terms of game design, Sakurai is a genius. He also cares deeply about his projects. I think that whether or not someone else could do a better job than him is irrelevant at this point, as he will probably be supervising anyway.
But really, it depends on who takes the job. For example, I wouldn't want Miyamoto or Aonuma manning a Smash game.

EDIT: tl;dr'd my MisterVideoGaming, I think?
Or even worse, the guy behind that repetitive abomination known as New Super Mario Bros. *shudders*

Crescendo

Smash Journeyman

Discuss.

I'll be blunt and say people overestimate a lot the freedom Sakurai has over Smash games.
I think the roster is something that comes up after a lot of brainstorming with both Nintendo and the involved third parties and, newcomer wise, I feel the additions would still focus on relevant series that have huge marketing potential. However, I think old characters would never become playable, same with series that have no sequel planned (depending on who directed Smash 4, I think neither Palutena or Dark Pit would have got in, to the pleasure or displeasure of many)). So, yeah, probably no retro revivals, and the risk of cutting "irrelevant" characters like the Puff would greatly raise. Hell, even Captain Falcon would risk his place in a worst case scenario.

But it's difficult to say it clearly if we have no idea of who's doing it anyway. Who knows, we might get as a new director either the nicest guy on earth, or Bobby Kotick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom