• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastLugia

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3007-8069-6935
Anyone here played The Evil Within? I loved Resi 4, and TEW is going cheap now, I've been thinking of getting it now rather than later, even though I'm FINALLY getting Smash Wii U next week, I haven't played a good survival horror game in a while so I'd appreciate some thoughts on it considering it's been divisive with reviews. Anyone enjoyed it?

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
I finally got Smash Wiiu!!!:chuckle:
That I can't play until Christmas;-;
I also was able to play a kiosk demo in the store there. Granted it was 20 secs or so but a few things I want to note:
- I have completely underestimated the graphics.THEY ARE AMAZING!:love:
-The Game pad controls are weird but that's because I didn't expect the ZR button to be the grab button. Oh well, I can change it.
- The Zelda amiibo is just well-crafted. Bought it.
I still can't use that until Christmas.

Last edited:

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
It's $4.99 for one chapter or $19.99 for all of them. That's nothing compared to what other companies are charging for (their incomplete games). Hell, Assassin's Creed: Unity just dropped to $30 (for the holiday) and Call of Duty games still have their original MSRP of $59.99 or $49.99 depending on the platform. MW2 is old as -bleep- and I remember that it still cost that much until just recently.

Or, you could just wait until they're all out and some sale is on to pick it up.
What bothers me isn't the price. It's the concept of having to buy 5 separate parts of a game to get the full experience. Similar to the likes of Sonic the Hedgehog: Episode 1 + 2 and Telltale adventure games.

One part of my brain justifies that it's like a trilogy film, that each episodic game is a chapter of the whole story. The other part of my brain then tells me (so why don't they do that with books? They'd make a fortune.)

Sigh. I know there's some true justification, but as episodic games stand now, I'd rather wait till they release the whole series as one complete game.

Last edited:

Losho

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheLosho
3DS FC
3883-7759-0830
You guys see this yet? So hype, can't wait for 4 to turn into something crazy popular

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Anyone here played The Evil Within? I loved Resi 4, and TEW is going cheap now, I've been thinking of getting it now rather than later, even though I'm FINALLY getting Smash Wii U next week, I haven't played a good survival horror game in a while so I'd appreciate some thoughts on it considering it's been divisive with reviews. Anyone enjoyed it?
It's got Jackie Earle Haley as the main villain. I don't know much about it - I avoid horror games -, but I think people said it was good. It's not like a cult classic like Deadly Premonition, it's not like your action-y, survival horror, modern Resident Evil games or the recent Dead Space games; morally questioning like the Silent Hill games, creepy horror like Murdered: Soul Suspect, interesting, but scary like the Amnesia and Penumbra games; or disturbing like Outlast. Oh, and there's those Clock Tower games and the just outright creepy Haunting Grounds.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That reminds me: I want a Terriermon. They're like rabbit-dogs with giant, fluffy ears. The one on the right is a Lopmon and not a recolored, "OC do not steal" Terriermon. :p
Terriermon > Lopman in that case since the cuteness is ruined when they have more horns on their heads. It would be easier to pet their forehead when they have less horns. And God forbid anyone from remembering his role in that Digimon "film" when fighting that "thing". *shudders*

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's got Jackie Earle Haley as the main villain. I don't know much about it - I avoid horror games -, but I think people said it was good. It's not like a cult classic like Deadly Premonition, it's not like your action-y, survival horror, modern Resident Evil games or the recent Dead Space games; morally questioning like the Silent Hill games, creepy horror like Murdered: Soul Suspect, interesting, but scary like the Amnesia and Penumbra games; or disturbing like Outlast. Oh, and there's those Clock Tower games and the just outright creepy Haunting Grounds.
There are some horror games I can tolerate at times like Resident Evil and Dead Space, then there's stuff like Yume Nikki and Ao Oni. Especially the latter due to how hideous the main monster looks.......

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
What bothers me isn't the price. It's the concept of having to buy 5 separate parts of a game to get the full experience. Similar to the likes of Sonic the Hedgehog: Episode 1 + 2 and Telltale adventure games.

One part of my brain justifies that it's like a trilogy film, that each episodic game is a chapter of the whole story. The other part of my brain then tells me (so why don't they do that with books? They'd make a fortune.)

Sigh. I know there's some true justification, but as episodic games stand now, I'd rather wait till they release the whole series as one complete game.
It might be like a series of short stories in this case considering Life is Strange deals with time travel. So, episode one would be the intro while the other episodes are all possible outcomes while the final episode is that WHAM! BUTTERFLY EFFECT! thing where everything goes to hell because time was tampered with. I don't know, I just have this feeling that it won't be episodic like other episodic games.

Hideo Kojima mentioned that new IPs could use a "pilot" like new TV series to test the waters. So, they wouldn't have to drop let's say, $1 million, and be bankrupt. They could spend say, $200,000, for an intro, sell it for like, $20 and see if people like the concept. If it goes well, then they'll continue. If it goes horribly, then can just quit while their ahead and maybe save it for later when they have more resources, understanding, and funding; they'll just work on another project that will keep their studio afloat. If it's so-so, then they could continue and use criticisms to improve their game.

Ground Zeroes felt like that, but it also felt like Kojima took too long to develop it and spent way too much money because of the time and the fact that the PS4 and Xbox One were in existence meant they would have to develop for those consoles as well. I think that's the reason why GZ had such a high price tag. That said, it was polished even as a concept for a sandbox, open-world stealth game.

This is like the third time Kojima was screwed over by console releases. First, it was MGS3 where he thought the PS3 would be out sooner and would be able to make a Metal Gear close to open-world, but it was scrapped because it might have been impossible or it may have worked, but would mean extreme loading times and frame drops; MGS3 was supposed to be what GZ and The Phantom Pain are. Next, it was MGS4 which he thought would be on the PS2, nope, PS3 surprise launch. Welp, time to update everything and delay the game. At least it was early on, so he could get away with some things, but now with game development having really high costs, it's going to get worse if Kojima gets screwed over again with his next big project and BOOM! PS5 and Xbox Two time. Anyway, I digress about the MG stuff.

Terriermon > Lopman in that case since the cuteness is ruined when they have more horns on their heads. It would be easier to pet their forehead when they have less horns. And God forbid anyone from remembering his role in that Digimon "film" when fighting that "thing". *shudders*
Either way, they're adorable.

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
You guys see this yet? So hype, can't wait for 4 to turn into something crazy popular

I wouldn't get my hopes too high. This just doesn't look like it could provide as many useful applications as wavedashing for it to be an extremely valid tech. I would love to be proved wrong.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
There are some horror games I can tolerate at times like Resident Evil and Dead Space, then there's stuff like Yume Nikki and Ao Oni. Especially the latter due to how hideous the main monster looks.......

Are you into any horror games? I can't remember if it was you I was discussing RE with or not.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

I tolerate nothing involving horror. "Jump scares" in non-horror games freak me out and then there's these -bleepers-.

Losho

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheLosho
3DS FC
3883-7759-0830
I wouldn't get my hopes too high. This just doesn't look like it could provide as many useful applications as wavedashing for it to be an extremely valid tech. I would love to be proved wrong.
From what I'm seeing it can turn into something near the usefulness of wavedashing, since basically all ground options are doable out of it.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Are you into any horror games? I can't remember if it was you I was discussing RE with or not.
You and I were talking about Sherry Berkin on time (That annoying wench) about some time during the Fall. I do love Resident Evil, but I would rarely talk about anything post Resident Evil 4 since most of the fans viewed those games as bad (I liked 5 and 6 despite their flaws). If anything, Chris and Wesker had looked the best in RE5 and I loved how Capcom decided to keep their designs intact in Marvel vs Capcom 3 (Jill's was rather meh to be me and it got even better with Revelations).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom