• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
@ Opossum Opossum Do you happen go to the same wal-mart as I do? The one in Honesdale, where you kind of drive up a hill.

Just curious, I've been wondering if certain Amiibos are still there.

You are definitely a robot

ADMIT IT
Nah, I go to the Westfall/Matamoras one.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
I don't know. The manga utilizes furigana, so you only need to learn hiragana, katakana and basic vocabulary to read the manga, which doesn't require too much effort.
Yeah, but you see, I already have school where I have to learn Spanish. And, sorry my spanish friends, but I don't really like the language. Most french people like it, but I prefer english. Anyway, it would take me a lot of time to learn Japanese correctly, with school and my idea of manga that I'm writing (I don't have an artist to draw it for now) plus Smash and video games, and real life in general. But I want to learn Japanese, that for sure. I'll try to find the time to learn it, it could be useful.

Grass

Smash Lord
Yeah, but you see, I already have school where I have to learn Spanish. And, sorry my spanish friends, but I don't really like the language. Most french people like it, but I prefer english. Anyway, it would take me a lot of time to learn Japanese correctly, with school and my idea of manga that I'm writing (I don't have an artist to draw it for now) plus Smash and video games, and real life in general. But I want to learn Japanese, that for sure. I'll try to find the time to learn it, it could be useful.
I hate learning languages. Failed my Japanese 101 course, kinda gave up after that.

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
My major is English and most of my other curricular activities involve linguistic studies, so I've been taught general rules for all kinds of weird languages from Estonian to Japanese to Swahili. :054: Really helps a lot in learning ones I'm interested in. That, and the fact that I took some Japanese courses back in upper secondary. Now I'm somewhat capable of using it, but kanji is still a huge issue for me.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
I hate learning languages. Failed my Japanese 101 course, kinda gave up after that.
I like to learn them by myself personally, or with a teacher alone, and not with other people. This is maybe why I don't really like spanish, since I only learn it at school. I actually learn english by watching videos of the Nostalgia Critic dubbed in french and slowly but surely learned the language. Now I'm too good in english at school, and it helps me eating up my bad notes like in Math or Physics.

The thing is, contrary to english wich is near the french language, the japanese language seems sooooo far from them. The letters, the pronunciation and all that stuff seems a little bit scary. But I want to learn it.

Last edited:

Grass

Smash Lord
I like to learn them by myself personally, or with a teacher alone, and not with other people. This is maybe why I don't really like spanish, since I only learn it at school. I actually learn english by watching videos of the Nostalgia Critic dubbed in french and slowly but surely learned the language. Now I'm too good in english at school, and it helps me eating up my bad notes like in Math or Physics.

The thing is, contrary to english wich is near the french language, the japanese language seems sooooo far from them. The letters, the pronunciation and all that stuff seems a little bit scary. But I want to learn it.
it's easy to read, but the grammar is terrible. They have like nouns, pronouns adjectives and stuff everywhere. There isn't like a coherent structure for everything, it's one of the reasons learning JP is so hard.

Like in English, there's subject verb noun. and you use that throughout every sentence you make, but in Japanese, there's exceptions everywhere.

Last edited:

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
Spanish left me permanently scarred as well. x.x The few courses I took were horrible. The language itself is nice and surprisingly simple despite the use of masculine and feminine forms, but there was something about the teacher and her effect on class atmosphere in general. The class was really small and always held in a dusty old classroom on the basement floor. Ugh.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
it's easy to read, but the grammar is terrible. They have like nouns, pronouns adjectives and stuff everywhere. There isn't like a coherent structure for everything, it's one of the reasons learning JP is so hard.

Like in English, there's subject verb noun. and you use that throughout every sentence you make, but in Japanese, there's exceptions everywhere.
Oh good, french is just like that : too much exceptions. No, no IGN joke here please. Guess that make a common point for my birth language and Japanese.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Spanish left me permanently scarred as well. x.x The few courses I took were horrible. The language itself is nice and surprisingly simple despite the use of masculine and feminine forms, but there was something about the teacher and her effect on class atmosphere in general. The class was really small and always held in a dusty old classroom on the basement floor. Ugh.
Please, I had a French teacher try to teach us Spanish.
His accent was very strong

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
There isn't like a coherent structure for everything, it's one of the reasons learning JP is so hard.
Sure there is! Subject - object - verb phrase structure with affixes for temporal and modal representation.
Please, I had a French teacher try to teach us Spanish.
His accent was very strong
I'm truly sorry for you. :138:

Last edited:

Grass

Smash Lord
Oh good, french is just like that : too much exceptions. No, no IGN joke here please. Guess that make a common point for my birth language and Japanese.
I tutored a friend in French, it was actually kind of easy. Then again, a lot of english words and French words are similar.

Sure there is! Subject - object - verb with affixes for temporal and modal representation.
all of my wat?

Last edited:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
PFFFFFT.

I know it's silly to expect someone to know how to use all of the characters, but it's also dumb to make a "research video" such as this and not utilize them to their maximum potential. This guy doesn't seem to know what Luigi Cyclone is.

Now I'm just annoyed for practically nothing. But man, that's some false information on that vid.
Pretty sure it was just done on the structure that all the characters will use up their standard jumps and go immediately into their up special.

of course the recovery would vary, 150% Lucario is a different from 0% Lucario in recovery.

Last edited:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
I tutored a friend in French, it was actually kind of easy. Then again, a lot of english words and French words are similar.
Yeah, french and english have similarities. But yet french people sucks at learning english. I don't even know why.

Sure there is! Subject - object - verb phrase structure with affixes for temporal and modal representation.
Well, that doesn't seem hard. Yet I said this when I first started Spanish so...yeah.

Last edited:

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
I

all of my wat?
So, like, the word order for a phrase is subject - object - verb. Basically, "The rat the cheese ate" instead of "The rat ate the cheese". Then you add affixes (prefixes and suffixes) to indicate time and such.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
You mentioned the light source part, but I'd also mention the shading doesn't feel defined enough. By defined I mean, it looks a little too flat and doesn't add much to the details. The best way to know how shading works usually is by studying how shading is done on official sprites, especially bigger ones. It gives you an idea of how and why they're done.

(Although I know you don't do this, but as a heads up, avoid overshading or adding too many colors of shades. Usually 2 or 3 colors of shade per color is good enough)

I hope that helps a lot! It's what I usually do, it helps me understand shading and whatnot! But since you've said that sprite is really old, I'm sure you've def improved a lot since then. :D
They didn't have much shading before. I added it because it looked too flat to me as it was before. If I was trying to have this be the same way as it was officially, I'd have left them alone and as they were before I started adding them. Hence why the ones in my sig are so different. XD

I honestly think it looks just fine and came out exactly how I wanted. I made anything that I wanted to pop out, stand out, and anything that I didn't, not. Some of the shading is to also make certain parts look like they shift into different ways and directions, too.

Like I said, I've been doing this for a LONG time. I know what I'm doing, so anything you see is entirely intentional and I have no plans on doing it differently. Tends to be why I don't like critique or advice unless I specifically ask for it myself. I'm a selfish artist, I'll admit it. All I care about is how I think it looks in the end. It sometimes kills my mood a bit if others don't like something I worked hard on as much as I do, but if I really think it came out how I wanted, I tend to not let it bother me and keep doing what I'm doing.

Pretty much like this girl, except not quite as maniacal and self-centered. I'm used to the way that I like to do things being considered unfavorable by others and then being shunned since I refuse to change them if I don't see a reason to. That's probably just my Aspergers kicking in, though. ¦D

But I do ask for it when I legit need help or want it, make no mistake.

Anywho, thanks for the input. Ah, but the clear it up, THIS sprite (Since I think we're both talking about Kaye here) isn't the old version.

THIS one is...God, it hurts to look at. I'm glad I've been updating it constantly over the years. But like I said, this is also an older design before it upgraded to this one. XD;

Then again, it's still one of his later ones considering I've had this character since 1998. ¦D;

Last edited:

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
Pretty sure it was just done on the structure that all the characters will use up their standard jumps and go immediately into their up special.

of course the recovery would vary, 150% Lucario is a different from 0% Lucario in recovery.
Yeah, I just hope this doesn't result in people thinking Luigi has awful recovery. I was watching Mew2King's stream where someone was playing Luigi and using the Cyclone very well, and the chat went wild, thinking they were using custom parts.

Last edited:

Grass

Smash Lord
So, like, the word order for a phrase is subject - object - verb. Basically, "The rat the cheese ate" instead of "The rat ate the cheese". Then you add affixes (prefixes and suffixes) to indicate time and such.
And now I feel the need to retake Japanese 101. ._.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I'm learning Latin and Spanish. It's a smooth transition in the latter since Latin and Greek are pretty much a building blocks for most languages.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
I still want to learn Italian and Japanese. And also refreshing my French and German grammar, because that has been a lot better than it currently is, due to lack of practice after I graduated high school.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
For me Spanish doesn't seem useful. I'll never go to spain because I simply don't want to, it doesn't interrest me. Japanese on the other hand would be nice, since I want to write mangas and comics. It could be useful if I go one day to Japan for example.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I've been learning Japanese at a snail's pace and know a few things.

Pronunciation is actually not a big problem for me as a native Portuguese speaker. Almost all sounds in Japanese are found in Portuguese, so it was not difficult to get into. (The only more difficult part are the h syllables, but considering that sound is found in English and I've learned English since age 7, that ends up not being a big problem for me.)

Japanese grammar is a bit more mind-boggling compared to the other languages I know. It's very different from European languages.

I'm more or less good with Spanish, which I've learned by myself and isn't too difficult given the similarities to Portuguese. Ironically, the Spanish have difficulties with understanding Portuguese, but not the other way around. And there's French, which I can understand a bit due to having classes during 3 years, but I'm very rusty as those were long ago (around 6 years ago? Damn, time flies!).

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
DeviantArt?
You know, you guys really gotta stop throwing "DeviantArt" around as a joke when something questionable shows up. They're often the least guilty or just the the guys who get stuff second hand since most artists have one as a secondary account. They're like the scapegoats now, the poor guys. XD

As someone who looks at that kinda stuff often, I can tell you that most of it doesn't originally come from there. They tend to be from other places like HentaiFoundry, FurAffinity, Inkbunny, Pixiv and above all else, Tumblr and/or Twitter.

Oh, and Rule 34 Paheal, of course, but they're more of middle men in general, too. ¦D

Yay, @ Kaye Cruiser Kaye Cruiser is here~ :3
D'aaww, it's my adorable Kawaiitologist buddy~ :3 *huggles you*

He's always here. Always watching. Always lurking. :evil:

@ Kaye Cruiser Kaye Cruiser is watching you.
Well, except yesterday. It was my niece's birthday, so Mr. Cruiser had to be a good uncle for his cute little birthday girl. <3

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Well, except yesterday. It was my niece's birthday, so Mr. Cruiser had to be a good uncle for his cute little birthday girl. <3
No, no, no. No exceptions. You are ALWAYS watching, pronto! Even when you're asleep.
And congratulations with your niece.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
An important thing to keep in mind when learning a new language: there is logic even if it's hard to understand it at first, otherwise it wouldn't be an efficient method of communication.

Sure, there are exceptions, but those aren't usually that common.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Forget Vivillion, :4jigglypuff: is truly the Satanic Pokemon. Especially since she has those eyes that can stare into your soul.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
D'aaww, it's my adorable Kawaiitologist buddy~ :3 *huggles you*
MY LIFE HAS BEEN CHANGED

My avatar is an accurate representation of me after watching the entirety of Nichijou. I literally can't be upset while watching this anime, and I love that.

D

Deleted member

I used to dislike Spanish but I understand it a lot better now. For some reason a summer of doing nothing made me understand preterit conjugations better. It's weird. Usually I forget things instead of get better at them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If any of you guys think Spanish is hard, try out Portuguese. >:]

Has a lot of similarities, but there are a lot of differences as well. Especially in pronunciation. Not to mention sounds that are hardly found in other languages and foreigners rarely get them right.

And it rivals French when it comes to verbs. And French verbs are hard.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
MY LIFE HAS BEEN CHANGED

My avatar is an accurate representation of me after watching the entirety of Nichijou. I literally can't be upset while watching this anime, and I love that.
I'm sure I'll be able the same way once I watch it, too. I'm looking forward to it. XD

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I'm sure I'll be able the same way once I watch it, too. I'm looking forward to it. XD
Just gonna tell you one thing.

Mai is an ultra troll. She may not look it at first, but she's the trolliest character in the whole show, IMO.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Quick Question; How many trophies are in SSB3DS? '_'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom