• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
They are hidden stats, pretty randomized though. Gen 6 made them somewhat easier to see.
inb4 next generation makes IVs visible like Gen 6 did to EVs
Hidden stats? How do they work? And what are EVs?

Man, I am so behind on the competitive Pokemon stuff. :facepalm:

Soul.

Let's just say that EVs are numbers that make your Pokémon stronger. X/Y's Super Training and Horde Encounters made them easier to use.
IVs...eh, a random number will be on any Pokémon you get. This is why breeding is a thing in Pokémon. You get a 31IV Pokémon (which is the max amount of IVs) in all stats, and there you go. You get a perfect 6IV Pokémon (6 IVs are 31 IVs on each stat).
IVs are also used for Hidden Power types.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

IV's have been in the game since gen 3, so have EV's

Technically Gen 1 sort of had it's own thing like EV's as well

But IV's and EV's worked differently gen 1 and 2

Last edited:

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
Let's just say that EVs are numbers that make your Pokémon stronger. X/Y's Super Training and Horde Encounters made them easier to use.
IVs...eh, a random number will be on any Pokémon you get. This is why breeding is a thing in Pokémon. You get a 31IV Pokémon (which is the max amount of IVs) in all stats, and there you go. You get a perfect 6IV Pokémon (6 IVs are 31 IVs on each stat).
IVs are also used for Hidden Power types.
I still can't grasp the concept.

Just forget about it. I'll just watch a video about it and see if I get the concept. Thanks for your help though.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Before I list what I like about each region, I should say I like the music in all of them.

Kanto: I like it because it's what started it all for me. Simplest story, has some of my favorite Pokemon, favorite rival to beat (especially his champion theme), and simplest design (which is mostly due to limitations of the time). If I were to sum it up, it's simple and nostalgic.

Johto: Again with nostalgia. Also, the music would be some of my favorites. Able to travel in two regions, and battling Red. Also, Lugia and Pichu. Most interesting post-game content IMO except maybe PWT in B2W2.

Hoenn: Has some of the coolest legendary Pokemon. Two bad teams. Regional tastes that make it different. Soaring in ORAS. Interesting story once you bring Rayquaza into the mix.

Sinnoh: Empoleon, legendaries (particularly Darkrai), cool evil team theme, Cynthia (and her theme), and that's all I can think of.

Unova: Best story IMO, especially when you tie in the sequels. Cool legendaries as well. Some of the best music in the series IMO. Goes back to being somewhat simpler with the way it's designed. Most interesting characters. Pokemon World Tournament.

Kalos: Easy to get into. Also simpler than Hoenn and Sinnoh. Some good music. Goomy. Mega evolutions introduced. Customization. Lumiose City has a lot to do. The post-game side-story with Looker.

The only complaints I could really think of are Hoenn's water routes gets tiring, Sinnoh is too big, Unova didn't have too many interesting Pokemon, and Kalos is underwhelming.

If we are talking about the anime, I missed a lot of the Hoenn one because I kind of watched it less when it got closer to the end of Johto. Didn't start watching again until I found out there was going to be a Darkrai at the Pokemon League in Sinnoh. Unova started out fine, but then got stale. XY has its interesting moments, but I get bored by some of the filler or extra characters. Then again, I could probably say the same for all the regions.

Edit: I did watch some Battle Frontier episodes. The ones I watched were against Brains or seeing some of the old characters/Pokemon.

Last edited:

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
I didn't get into competitive Pokemon till Gen 4. When I first learned about EVs and IVs I was blown away, I had no idea Pokemon had so much depth.

Good thing Gamefreak simplified EV training for newer players in X and Y a bit with Super Training!
The awesome music also helped.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I still can't grasp the concept.

Just forget about it. I'll just watch a video about it and see if I get the concept. Thanks for your help though.
IV's mean that no matter how much you train a pokemon some pokemon are just born worse than others

Some pokemon are just born defective and must be put down

It's nature.

Soul.

Youtube makes me sad.
YouTube has made us sad since March 2012.
I remember my days in 2011 when I went to PIMPNITE's channel with the 2.0 layout. That channel was apparently a chatroom lmao. Nowadays, it's all about YouTube alternatives.
*cough* ZippCast *cough*

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I was totally going to put "Sinnoh is Ridley big," but then I didn't want Ridley supporters to get mad at me in this thread...

D

Deleted member

Youtube makes me sad.
YouTube is essentially a shell of its former self. I kinda wish they avoided the Google acquisition.. but oh well. I don't know what to do in that site anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
Youtube made me sad once it no longer saved the video preload and could get a quality drop at any time.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I'm a Ridley supporter and I love the Ridley jokes

ok well, I was a Ridley supporter but then I've just kind of remembered I stopped caring, but still lol

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
So

I was just playing All-Star as Meta Knight on Hard. I was in the first match and I was on Coliseum against Shulk, Wi Fit Trainer, and Rosalina.

I used Drill Rush on Wii Fit Trainer, and the move ended as normal, and the stage was transforming back to normal. Just as it ended, I reached the floor in helpless state.

I FELL THROUGH THE FLOOR AND DIED

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
So

I was just playing All-Star as Meta Knight on Hard. I was in the first match and I was on Coliseum against Shulk, Wi Fit Trainer, and Rosalina.

I used Drill Rush on Wii Fit Trainer, and the move ended as normal, and the stage was transforming back to normal. Just as it ended, I reached the floor in helpless state.

I FELL THROUGH THE FLOOR AND DIED
Now THATS funny!

Naoshi

Thank god it wasn't Crazy Orders at least, imagine wasting a ticket or 5000 coins just for a glitch that was unexpected thus unavoidable...

TheLastLugia

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3007-8069-6935
Since you are talking about Pokemon, I have one question...

What the heck are IVs? Seriously I been reading explanations and I still don't get it.

@Rie Sonomura I'm so sorry about your current gaming situation. :(
IVs are the base stats of every Pokemon's stats, HP, ATT, DEF, SPATT, SPDEF, SPE. Pokemon can have either one IV to 31 max in each one, and this contributes greatly to the strength of that stat. For example, a Pokemon with 1 IV in HP will have the lowest HP it possibly can so long as it doesn't get any EVs in it as well. But on the other hand, 31 is the max, therefore a Pokemon with 31 IVs in HP along with the max 252 EVs in it will end up with the max HP it can get, so IVs are the base and EVs are the extra you get from training and levelling up. A Pokemon's IV are determined randomly the moment it is hatched or encountered in the wild, though there are ways through breeding that you can heavily increase the chance of successfully breeding a Pokemon with the max 31 IVs in each stat, a Pokemon with at least 5 of its stats that have 31 are considered 'flawless'.

(That's the first time I've tried to explain it myself, most of it is correct but I bet I went slightly wrong somewhere. Hope this helps :)

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
IVs are the base stats of every Pokemon's stats, HP, ATT, DEF, SPATT, SPDEF, SPE. Pokemon can have either one IV to 31 max in each one, and this contributes greatly to the strength of that stat. For example, a Pokemon with 1 IV in HP will have the lowest HP it possibly can so long as it doesn't get any EVs in it as well. But on the other hand, 31 is the max, therefore a Pokemon with 31 IVs in HP along with the max 252 EVs in it will end up with the max HP it can get, so IVs are the base and EVs are the extra you get from training and levelling up. A Pokemon's IV are determined randomly the moment it is hatched or encountered in the wild, though there are ways through breeding that you can heavily increase the chance of successfully breeding a Pokemon with the max 31 IVs in each stat, a Pokemon with at least 5 of its stats that have 31 are considered 'flawless'.

(That's the first time I've tried to explain it myself, most of it is correct but I bet I went slightly wrong somewhere. Hope this helps :)
Thanks......but what are base stats?:lol:
Ridley-supporters don't come to this thread.
*coughcoughIamcoughcough*
Also one of the reasons I supported Ridley because I am really sick of the Ridley jokes going on.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I got into Pokemon competitive battling in Gen 4 when online battling became a thing. I pretty much blew all my video game time building teams and pokemon throughout Gen 4.

Nowadays though, I get burnt out too easily playing competitive pokemon. The constantly changing metagame, the amount of pokemon threats, and the balancing just causes me to flip and lose interest.

I come back to Pokemon Showdown from time to time, but I mainly play Pokemon for casual fun now.

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Uuugh. Does anyone have any tips for staying awake in a class that doesn't pique your interest and is late in the afternoon? Seriously. I can't count the number of times I've nearly fallen asleep, none of them being on purpose. It keeps happening.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Hey, guys!, what's up?

Im fully convinced now; I'll try to get a Shiny Reshiram.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Thank god it wasn't Crazy Orders at least, imagine wasting a ticket or 5000 coins just for a glitch that was unexpected thus unavoidable...
True, but when you're trying to beat All-Star on Hard with everyone, and Meta Knight is one of the few you haven't done, dying like that can be pretty infuriating, to the point of being almost comical.

At the very least, the run I'm doing now I've gotten two new custom specials for MK.

Soul.

So, when does the next Smash specula----
lol forget it.
Mega Sableye is centralizing omg
I got into Pokemon competitive battling in Gen 4 when online battling became a thing. I pretty much blew all my video game time building teams and pokemon throughout Gen 4.

Nowadays though, I get burnt out too easily playing competitive pokemon. The constantly changing metagame, the amount of pokemon threats, and the balancing just causes me to flip and lose interest.

I come back to Pokemon Showdown from time to time, but I mainly play Pokemon for casual fun now.
Gen 4 online battles were the best. YouTubers like MTGXerxes (that's his username right? correct me if I'm wrong) made them even better.
Gen 5 is weather overload, and Gen 6 is just...Mega Evolutions.

Naoshi

I remember trying competitive Pokemon for a bit, but then I realized it's really not for me. Hard to use my favorites because a lot of them aren't viable, and I can't stand the Nature/IV/EV metagame of it all

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ehh, I don't play Pokémon that much, and besides, I'm really bad at the games, so yeah. Pretty much means I can't play competitively. I lose interest too and probably don't want to learn those things, but that's just me.

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
When I first tried competitive pokemon was when I learned that everything and its mother had earthquake and that my team of favorites all were weak to it. I had a rough time for a while.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I remember trying competitive Pokemon for a bit, but then I realized it's really not for me. Hard to use my favorites because a lot of them aren't viable, and I can't stand the Nature/IV/EV metagame of it all
My competitive Pokemon experience in a nutshell;
"...F' it.
Screw IVs and Natures, let's just get some EVs and OHKO some Mega Blazikens with my Sceptile's Rock Slide."
And so I did.
And it worked.
Everyone was salty. :B

Soul.

My competitive Pokemon experience in a nutshell;
"...F' it.
Screw IVs and Natures, let's just get some EVs and OHKO some Mega Blazikens with my Sceptile's Rock Slide."
And so I did.
And it worked.
Everyone was salty. :B
How to use Blaziken: Step 1
Use Protect. Speed Boost increases Speed.
Step 2
Destroy everything because it will outspeed almost every Pokémon with one Speed boost.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom