• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't know. I got my *** whooped by @ Admiral Pit Admiral Pit and he played Palutena.

Then again, I'm not the greatest Smash player around and don't know a lot about the competitive mumbo-jumbo and all that jazz, so yeah, take my words with a mountain of salt.
Well, I know Dark Pit is fine. Palutena has been really difficult to get into. But her default customs do not help her case.

You set off a landmine talking about Palutena like that. I'm slowly getting more and more irritated hearing bout Palutena being terrible, especially when the majority don't even know how to use her well... let alone that the game is still so young. Then again, it makes me proud that I'm one of the few that make her look fairly good, even without customs...

@ Frostwraith Frostwraith Don't worry so much. Everyone is different in their own way, though I'm still sad bout the Palutena thing. On the bright side, knowing she takes quite the skill to use well just satisfies me well, like the Brawl Pit times.
I like playing as Plautena(ironic, since I never wanted her at all. Not joking, but regardless). I'm trying to main her, but I'm not finding much of use here. Without any customs, exactly what am I supposed to use with her? I want to try and bring her into a tourney, but I may have to go with someone else. I lack a lot of human interaction, and after being screwed out twice of a 100-Man Smash win with her, I'm just not feeling her. Contrary to popular belief, I actually don't find her good for some lame reason.

I have tried, immensely, but I clearly don't know what approach to use. My attempt was to get a reasonable set of customs(since really, she is notable due to that alone. It's her gimmick), but I can't figure out how to use her defaults well. Zelda is the same, but she has no real approach options, which Palutena does. So far, from I've experienced among my human interaction, Palutena has yet to stand out much at all. I'm not dissing her, I actually am not seeing her stand out points and am interested in how to improve her game. Without patches.

Also, Brawl Pit was a lot easier to use and had lots of approach options already. Even if he's not top tier in Brawl, he definitely was not that hard to get into. Palutena is harder, but for newer players or those without hmuch human interaction, exactly how should we play her with the default moveset?

One other thing to remember; Just because people say she's terrible doesn't mean they're attempting to diss her, but because they gunuinely don't think she's very good. From their experience. Give out tips to help improve that, and don't bother being defensive about this, as it's not really a big deal(people say it all the time). Or to rephrase; Don't get pissed off or defensive, just explain why she can be good. Help us out and the opinions will change, for those who intend to listen, anyway.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
This is called the search function :troll:

Btw, the search here is awesome. You really can find VERY interesting stuff by using the user filter...trust me, it helped me more than once.
For the record, I didn't use the search feature.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
In terms of Pit/Dark Pit: eh, they're all right. Though I did wish the latter was decloned a bit.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I never thought of Palutena as bad, just difficult to use.
From personal experience, Palutena definitely isn't terrible, however she is my worst character when it comes to control.
That is fine. I always told ppl she isn't easy to pick up. Now those that think she's the worst character in the game... Well, picture me having one of those typical anime angry veins on my head, and eye twitching.

@ Frostwraith Frostwraith
Well I'm bad at explaining, but here's how it is: Palutena has fairly nice mobility being one of the faster characters in the game with range on many of her moves. The cost is that she obviously has some laggy moves *points to F-tilt and U-tilt*... and is more vulnerable when you get right in her face. Another thing is that she sometimes is an anti-camp type, but she herself can't camp without leaving herself open. She's complicated to use like I said, and she ain't for everyone.
*feels sad* Poor Palutena. D:

I understand the MegaMan bit, though.

As for the good/bad thing, let's just say... anyone that's not Palutena or regular Pit are those I can't use or just don't bother trying to use, though I'm trying to learn yellow Robin for some reason. There's a very rare chance I want to learn ZSS despite my dislike for higher tiers... For this, I blame shipping.

@ Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth
As for this, well... It's hard to explain this one compared to Brawl Pit, and part of me doesn't like helping after how badly I was treated during the Brawl Pit times. To describe Palutena's traits is being mobile with laggy moves, capable of stopping some campy stuff but cannot camp herself. If I had to name the moves Palutena will be using the most, it's definitely D-throw and its followups, F-air, and single jab. That's all I can think of from the top of my head.
Sometimes battling others also helps get an idea of how she is. Personally if someone recorded my matches, I'd gladly display a few things, all for the light.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Is this bricking glitch easy to happen? How can it be triggered?

Thankfully if I do get bricked, my Wii U is still under warranty. But to be extra safe I think I'll cut back on Smash U.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I honestly dislike the fact that I saw about 7 Links on For Glory yesterday.
Because he was rarely used when he was perceived low-tier, call me a hipster but I like to use the rarely used characters (minus :4pit: :4kirby: )

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I honestly dislike the fact that I saw about 7 Links on For Glory yesterday.
Because he was rarely used when he was perceived low-tier, call me a hipster but I like to use the rarely used characters (minus :4pit: :4kirby: )
You think Kirby is rarely used?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That is fine. I always told ppl she isn't easy to pick up. Now those that think she's the worst character in the game... Well, picture me having one of those typical anime angry veins on my head, and eye twitching.
Honestly, I can't see how Palutena is the outright worst. She ain't up there right now in "awesome land", but there's still Zelda and arguably others to contend with.

@ Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth
As for this, well... It's hard to explain this one compared to Brawl Pit, and part of me doesn't like helping after how badly I was treated during the Brawl Pit times. To describe Palutena's traits is being mobile with laggy moves, capable of stopping some campy stuff but cannot camp herself. If I had to name the moves Palutena will be using the most, it's definitely D-throw and its followups, F-air, and single jab. That's all I can think of from the top of my head.
Sometimes battling others also helps get an idea of how she is. Personally if someone recorded my matches, I'd gladly display a few things, all for the light.
That's rough man. Pit was a very neat Brawl character. For the record, I very much found him more fun in Brawl. That said, he's fine here, but not my cup of tea.

Hmm, interesting. You can record replays of Online matches, right? Some time later, I'd like to record some of yours. Maybe even watch yours and record 'em.

Hartenberg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hartenberg
3DS FC
1220-8573-2488
Is this bricking glitch easy to happen? How can it be triggered?

Thankfully if I do get bricked, my Wii U is still under warranty. But to be extra safe I think I'll cut back on Smash U.
Just gonna copy/paste what I wrote in the Error thread.

• I said don't play For Glory earlier, but now, lemme change that to avoid online all together. That's where a large amount of the error codes seem to be popping up from
  • I guess avoid Master/Crazy orders as well, because someone got the error from that too.
  • When you are finished, be sure to back out to the title screen, and then close the software. Once you've gotten back to the Wii U menu, then you can safely turn off the console
Either just wait to play smash until this gets resolved, or be SUPER careful and do those three things. I'll most likely play the 3ds version until we get an official announcement from Nintendo.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Who do you think is the worst character in smash 4? I'd say :4wiifit: and :4palutena:
Uninformed opinion is uninformed.

Palutena is far from worst character in the game. She has one of the best grab rewards in the game, amazing set of aerials, 2 attack that giver her full invincibility for the duration of the attack, good mobility and a great Jab. With default specials she has a projectile that covers an absurd amount of vertical height and has horizontal range that is as far as half of FD, the best reflector in the game which also stops the opponent's momentum making it a good mind tool, a extremely safe recovery that also gives her a good get-out-of-jail card, and one of the best counters in the game. Factor in custom moves though? Last hit of Explosive Flame ignored shield. Super Speed gives her an insane amount of mix-up options and options she normally doesn't have. Lightweight makes her already good mobility better, faster the Sonic and one Extreme Speed Shulk is fast but he loses out jump power in that state whereas Palutena gains jump power in Lightweight and can refresh the state indefinitely on platform stages. Jump Glide has a cool tech to it that is useful and increases her approach options. Rocket Jump is another kill move she can combo out of Super Speed, or as a OoS option. She has way too many good things going for her to be the worst character in the game.

Personally of the opinion that Olimar is the worst.

Honestly, I can't see how Palutena is the outright worst. She ain't up there right now in "awesome land", but there's still Zelda and arguably others to contend with.
With custom she is in the awesome land. One of the best characters in the game when customs are enabled. Without customs she is still in the upper portion.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Uninformed opinion is uninformed.

Palutena is far from worst character in the game. She has one of the best grab rewards in the game, amazing set of aerials, 2 attack that giver her full invincibility for the duration of the attack, good mobility and a great Jab. With default specials she has a projectile that covers an absurd amount of vertical height and has horizontal range that is as far as half of FD, the best reflector in the game which also stops the opponent's momentum making it a good mind tool, a extremely safe recovery that also gives her a good get-out-of-jail card, and one of the best counters in the game. Factor in custom moves though? Last hit of Explosive Flame ignored shield. Super Speed gives her an insane amount of mix-up options and options she normally doesn't have. Lightweight makes her already good mobility better, faster the Sonic and one Extreme Speed Shulk is fast but he loses out jump power in that state whereas Palutena gains jump power in Lightweight and can refresh the state indefinitely on platform stages. Jump Glide has a cool tech to it that is useful and increases her approach options. Rocket Jump is another kill move she can combo out of Super Speed, or as a OoS option. She has way too many good things going for her to be the worst character in the game.

Personally of the opinion that Olimar is the worst.
Thank you. I didn't realize a lot of that stuff. I'm not sure if I agree she's anywhere in the upper portion though. As for Olimar, how is he worse than Zelda, who lacks almost everything?

With custom she is in the awesome land. One of the best characters in the game when customs are enabled. Without customs she is still in the upper portion.
I still feel she's not in the upper. Middle might be a bit more accurate these days. Customs severely improve her, but I'm sure that was intended too. Sakurai made her customs her gimmick, so...

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Thank you. I didn't realize a lot of that stuff. I'm not sure if I agree she's anywhere in the upper portion though. As for Olimar, how is he worse than Zelda, who lacks almost everything?

I still feel she's not in the upper. Middle might be a bit more accurate these days. Customs severely improve her, but I'm sure that was intended too. Sakurai made her customs her gimmick, so...
Zelda isn't as bad as people say. Most just haven't played a good Zelda, which is the case for characters like :4wiifit::4littlemac::4pacman: as well.
On a different note, Sonic Adventure 2 is sooooooo good.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Zelda isn't as bad as people say. Most just haven't played a good Zelda, which is the case for characters like :4wiifit::4littlemac::4pacman: as well.
I've played good Pac-Man, Little Mac, and Wii Fit Trainer. Just what does Zelda have going for her without customs? Genuine question here. Phantom isn't that great. Approaching is pretty hard due to her poor speed. Her normal range is awful. Her air game is not that desirable either. Farore's Wind is fine. Nayru's Love is decent. Din's Fire is hard to work with and doesn't pack a severe punch.

Again, I'm asking for information, not just "haven't played a good one", as that doesn't much tell me anything. Matchup videos are just as good. If not better.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I've played good Pac-Man, Little Mac, and Wii Fit Trainer. J

Again, I'm asking for information, not just "haven't played a good one", as that doesn't much tell me anything. Matchup videos are just as good. If not better.
You do have a point, I honestly don't play Zelda, but I'll get back to you on that one.
I'll just ask one of the good Zelda's I've played. :teeth:

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You do have a point, I honestly don't play Zelda, but I'll get back to you on that one.
I'll just ask one of the good Zelda's I've played. :teeth:
Thanks. I do feel she was at her best in Melee, but she did get some direct physical buffs since Brawl. I like the idea of splitting her(for balance reasons. I think they were great as a team), but I think they didn't attempt hard enough to make her stronger or at least failed to give her enough range to justify her poor speed. They could try a little more super armor instead. If she had any to begin with(which is what makes Bowser and Ganondorf finally nice this time around. Bowser also has way better moves).

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694

That's rough man. Pit was a very neat Brawl character. For the record, I very much found him more fun in Brawl. That said, he's fine here, but not my cup of tea.

Hmm, interesting. You can record replays of Online matches, right? Some time later, I'd like to record some of yours. Maybe even watch yours and record 'em.
I can't record. The only way I can get replays going is if someone either plays me and records, have an observer who can record watch which the latter mat lag more. But believe me, I'd love to have some of my For Glory highlights recorded, even though it's still better to play with actually decent players, which also adds customs being allowed. Plus with that new fatal error roaming around, I don't even want to think of playing much on the Wii U, or at least no For Glory there.

I won't allow Diddy or Mac, though. I just hate them way too much.

I'm glad you liked Brawl Pit like I do.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Thanks. I do feel she was at her best in Melee, but she did get some direct physical buffs since Brawl. I like the idea of splitting her(for balance reasons. I think they were great as a team), but I think they didn't attempt hard enough to make her stronger or at least failed to give her enough range to justify her poor speed. They could try a little more super armor instead. If she had any to begin with(which is what makes Bowser and Ganondorf finally nice this time around. Bowser also has way better moves).
He says "Zelda has high damage and high kill power with good priority. A lot of her play is mind games and accurate reading as well as spacing. If someone thinks she's bad, they're playing her wrong, you dont' really approach with Zelda. Also, Din's Fire kills offstage at 70, 90 for heavies"

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I can count way more Nintendo games I've played than I haven't played come to think about it. Except for Fire Emblem, that's the one series with many games I've barely played...

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
People take tiers to seriously, people need to calm down it's not the end of the world if you character low tier. If you play a low tier character that doesn't mean you will get your ass kicked by someone that playing with a high tier characters. The hate for the high tier character is too much at times.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He says "Zelda has high damage and high kill power with good priority. A lot of her play is mind games and accurate reading as well as spacing. If someone thinks she's bad, they're playing her wrong, you dont' really approach with Zelda. Also, Din's Fire kills offstage at 70, 90 for heavies"
Sounds about right. One issue is that if you can't approach, many characters can keep you away and you can't get a hit in. She's definitely better than her Brawl self. Guess we got see what the meta rolls in. She could definitely go places, but many could, heh.

I can't record. The only way I can get replays going is if someone either plays me and records, have an observer who can record watch which the latter mat lag more. But believe me, I'd love to have some of my For Glory highlights recorded, even though it's still better to play with actually decent players, which also adds customs being allowed. Plus with that new fatal error roaming around, I don't even want to think of playing much on the Wii U, or at least no For Glory there.

I won't allow Diddy or Mac, though. I just hate them way too much.

I'm glad you liked Brawl Pit like I do.
I have barely faced Diddy, heh.

Also, Hiyayaya! :awesome:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
People take tiers to seriously, people need to calm down it's not the end of the world if you character low tier. If you play a low tier character that doesn't mean you will get your *** kicked by someone that playing with a high tier characters. The hate for the high tier character is too much at times.
THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
I've played low-tier characters forever and it doesn't define your skill level unless you play someone like :4olimar:
Same with high tier characters, well if they are :metaknight: broken then that's a different story....

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Sounds about right. One issue is that if you can't approach, many characters can keep you away and you can't get a hit in. She's definitely better than her Brawl self. Guess we got see what the meta rolls in. She could definitely go places, but many could, heh.

I have barely faced Diddy, heh.

Also, Hiyayaya! :awesome:
You don't wanna face em, or at least not the mediocre or decent ones. Cheap D-throw to U-air all day, and it's so easy to do, and it kills at higher percents iirc... then there's the Side-B that does more damage, and he has extended range compared to Brawl. And the banana? Still effective despite being nerfed.
Speaking of, the time I actually had to fight an annoyingly average one on For Glory yesterday... I actually had to resort to spamming rolls more than usual to win. My surprise was the person setting up a "USUCK" tag after I barely won... ironic for the person with a top tier saying I sucked when he lost to a Palutena. Of course I left after that. But don't let me rant about it too much. It stresses me out just thinking of Diddy and Mac, or fighting many characters really, but the 2 I named are probably the worst for me.
There's probably a lot of Diddy vids somewhere to show you how obnoxious it is to fight him.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
I have twice now fought a Sonic user who did nothing but different spin dash attacks. I won both times, but it was still pretty lame. Honestly, at that moment I was more mad at Sakurai than anyone since thats almost his entire moveset :p

Also saw a Wario with some impessive bike tech.

Last edited:

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
I just unlocked R.O.B the "proper" way, and wow, Crazy Orders are nail-bitingly tense. :crazy:

It took about an hour to just get a pass from Classic, and hen there were a good few tight scrapes, but I finally passed the 10 mark and beat Crazy, earning the "Challenger Approaching" screen.

Anyway, anyone up for a match, preferably on Wii U? ;)

NNID: HyperToxBox64

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom