• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 First Official Tier List (Ganondorf)

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
S: Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Rosalina & Luma
A: Ryu, Pikachu, Sonic, Fox, Mario, Diddy Kong, Meta Knight
B: Villager, Cloud, Ness
C: Captain Falcon, Yoshi
D: Luigi, Dark Pit, Pit, Peach, R.O.B., Wario, Toon Link, Lucario
E: Captain Olimar, Greninja, Ike, Donkey Kong, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Bowser, Robin
F: Roy, Kirby, Bowser Jr., Mr. Game & Watch, Lucas, Mewtwo, Falco, Wii Fit Trainer
G: Shulk, Marth, Link, Duck Hunt, Little Mac, Dr. Mario
H: King Dedede, Lucina
I: Mii Brawler, Charizard, Palutena
J: Samus, Mii Gunner, Mii Swordsman, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Zelda

The BR just released this tier list (above). The characters are divided into five groups (top, high, medium, low, bottom) and Ganon is placed right at the very end in catergory J of bottom tier. He's placed above just two other characters.

Your thoughts? While I don't think he should be at the bottom, this is a good way to get the game developers eyes on further buffs in upcoming patches for the time being, and then perhaps his placing could be more accurately determined later on.

We Ganons are going to have to make statements of the accuracy of his placing ourselves in future tier lists to come. Aside from Vermanubis, I think that Ganon has no other proper representation that I know of in the BR (I'd like to also offer myself @Shaya Thinkaman Thinkaman shrooby shrooby @IsmaR).

Last edited:

Twoyears

Smash Cadet
Third worst character? I didn't realize general opinion of ganon was that low.

Panchito

Smash Rookie
NNID
PanCat
3DS FC
4768-7623-9286
With such little representation of him, I'm not surprised he's that low.

Although I disagree with that low of a placement, I am unsure as to how much higher he should be considered. Definitely think he's better than Mii Swordfighter, though.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
IIRC I voted Ganon higher than anyone else in the tier list process, but everyone has different experiences. (Especially in a game with 56/58 characters.)

Regardless, I do want to point out that the SBR has never been some sort of "Smash Congress", where a primary goal is equal or similar representation of every character. While we would obviously prefer the tier list to be as accurate as possible, it's not a concern that single-handed dictates the group's purpose or membership; a misplacement at worse gives players a chance to prove the world wrong.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
For awhile I saw him at dead last but at this point I think that's accurate honestly. I'm not saying he lacks a lot of potential, I mean one read can literally shape an entire game and make or break sets, but because he's so reliant on reads I can't see him anywhere outside the bottom without significant buffs. I still feel he has the worst mu spread as well, but at the same time the characters below him don't really have his amazing punishes or any other noteworthy qualitys that could give even a slight amount of hope vs competent users of the more prominent characters. I think as the meta progresses, and Ganon in particular progresses, in his current state could reach the top of the bottom, but anymore would be questionable without noteworthy results at some majors or super majors.

As a whole I think the tier looks great honestly.

Gold_TSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slyger_Magreiva
He belongs in his own tier entirely, because he's secretly that good.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
He belongs in his own tier entirely, because he's secretly that good.
GGG-tier... for Gerudo Gangster Ganondorf tier. This my tier now, son! Seriously though, it's the first iteration of Smash 4's tier list, so things can and will change with or without balance patches.

Gold_TSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slyger_Magreiva
I'm hoping he gets serious buffs tomorrow...

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
All Ganon needs is a workable jab and a few frames shaved off a lot of his moves and he'll be pretty viable IMO.

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
I think this is too low honestly, and I'm always whining about Ganon being bad too. BTW cloud is not better than Yoshi/Falcon and Roy is not as low as they say IMO

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
I can't say i'm that surprised at his placing but i really don't see what characters like Lucina, Shulk, Roy & Duck hunt have over him.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Considering he has one of the worst matchup spreads, I'm not surprised.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I don't agree with this placing. He's a tad better.
I can almost smell the ignorance.

Ganon is the best in the game at a couple of things, but these things can't be seen with an ignorant eye.

I agree with Kalm, though. Hopefully this'll help him in the buff-department.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
I don't agree with this placing. He's a tad better.
I can almost smell the ignorance.

Ganon is the best in the game at a couple of things, but these things can't be seen with an ignorant eye.

I agree with Kalm, though. Hopefully this'll help him in the buff-department.
I don't feel like he's worse than any of the miis (with 1111), Lucina, Shulk, Duck hunt & maybe Roy & DDD, he still has that Brawl stigma :/.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
We Ganons are going to have to make statements of the accuracy of his placing ourselves in future tier lists to come. Aside from Vermanubis, I think that Ganon has no other proper representation that I know of in the BR (I'd like to also offer myself @Shaya Thinkaman Thinkaman shrooby shrooby @IsmaR).
It's ultimately not up to me, so sorry for saying this but I'm not sure why I'm being asked.

I will emphasize what Thinkaman said regarding character representation in the BR, however. It would be ideal, but it's not the most important factor in the end. (Said factors not being in my control.)

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
That post has a lot of outdated information. GTB's not been dominating recently as far as I know (at least, not as much as he was at the time of those rankings), and Vex I can't comment on, though, the only player I recognize on the PA ranking is Thunderstorm, who, if I recall, wouldn't quite qualify as a high-level sample. If anything, contrary to the comment in the article, I'd say GTB's region seems stronger with players like Shinjoebi and Triple R.

In other words, I kind of agree on Ganon's placement. Maybe not as low as he is, but the general trend for any given Ganon who's dominated is that they slowly begin receding in direct proportion to people's familiarity in the MU/willingness to play it the right way. If a Ganon's doing well in spite of tough competition, it's because the player is doing back-breaking work; not necessarily to the credit of Ganon himself.

Last edited:

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
That post has a lot of outdated information. GTB's not been dominating recently as far as I know (at least, not as much as he was at the time of those rankings), and Vex I can't comment on, though, the only player I recognize on the PA ranking is Thunderstorm, who, if I recall, wouldn't quite qualify as a high-level sample. If anything, contrary to the comment in the article, I'd say GTB's region seems stronger with players like Shinjoebi and Triple R.

In other words, I kind of agree on Ganon's placement. Maybe not as low as he is, but the general trend for any given Ganon who's dominated is that they slowly begin receding in direct proportion to people's familiarity in the MU/willingness to play it the right way. If a Ganon's doing well in spite of tough competition, it's because the player is doing back-breaking work; not necessarily to the credit of Ganon himself.
So do you think Ganon is 3rd worst? This isn't an accusation because he very well might be, game is still young and all, but I think he's more around 10th than bottom 5. It just seems very harsh.

Darkshadovv

Smash Cadet
I'd say he belongs in H tier, behind Marth or Link. Likewise, Samus could sit next to him on the placement, because she does have a lot of things over Ganondorf.

But what the hell do Duck Hunt, Little Mac, Dr. Mario, 3D, Lucina, Charizard, Palutena, and Miis have over Ganondorf?

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
The list is a bit odd imo.

Primarily due to like...DHD's and link's placement.
DHD has virtually no kill potential and link is seriously scary now!

We should be in G tier imo, with edgeguarding this powerful we shouldn't be this low.

Zam053

Smash Cadet
I would be more pessimistic than people around here and put Ganondorf (and Samus) at H.Sure, his flaws are pretty horrible (gimpable recovery, some pretty lame frame data and almost no reward after a grab) and he does deserve Bottom 10 thanks to its flaws, but his aerial game and his hard reads are too good to put him at the third worst character of the game. Unlike some characters of the list (like Mii Swordsman, Palutena and to some degree Charizard), we do have some options to work around some difficult MUs and have some favorable MUs at higher tiers (Wario, Mario and Ness being the prime examples).

There is also some characters that are too high, like WFT, DDD, DHD and Robin, but most of those wouldn't affect our position, so I won't comment.

Top Bottom