• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Analysis from a guy who loves camping

MellowMint

Smash Rookie
Will this game be competitively viable?
Yes.
First of all, thanks for all this very detailed info! I'd also like to apologize early for any newbie-type stuff there is in my following question, I'm still rather new to playing competitive smash but have always enjoyed watching it as well as all the Smash games!

Anyways, the thing I've been wondering the most about Smash 4 is what the meta will be. I personally enjoy watching/playing the more offensive games, though Brawl is good in its own right. This info and the gameplay I've seen (which watching is of course mostly unreliable for judgement) seems to make Smash 4 seem like it'll end up with a very defensive meta. We've only seen a beta demo of course, but I'd still like to ask what people think the game will be like competitively! Do you think it'll have a more defensive stance, offensive stance, or an in between? Once again, thank you for all this great information and for taking your time to let us know!

Last edited:

ThatPersonGuy

Smash Cadet
First of all, thanks for all this very detailed info! I'd also like to apologize early for any newbie-type stuff there is in my following question, I'm still rather new to playing competitive smash but have always enjoyed watching it as well as all the Smash games!

Anyways, the thing I've been wondering the most about Smash 4 is what the meta will be. I personally enjoy watching/playing the more offensive games, though Brawl is good in its own right. This info and the gameplay I've seen (which watching is of course mostly unreliable for judgement) seems to make Smash 4 seem like it'll end up with a very defensive meta. We've only seen a beta demo of course, but I'd still like to ask what people think the game will be like competitively! Do you think it'll have a more defensive stance, offensive stance, or an in between? Once again, thank you for all this wonderful information and for taking your time to let us know!
Though I'm no TC, from what he seems to say is that, though it looks pretty defensive, the actual execution will turn out very different from what we got in any Smash game thus far. This might result in an entirely new metagame where the strong are weak and the weak are strong.

MellowMint

Smash Rookie
That actually sounds like it could end up being really interesting. Thanks for the reply!

Minty_

Smash Apprentice
I can't wait for the meta to evolve. New techniques to be discovered. New fighting styles and ways to approach the game. It's so exciting. This is going to be fun.

Dax

Smash Journeyman
Ah, you're one of those. No thanks, I'm going to play Smash 4.
Not to be that guy but... he's right. I liked a lot your report, but I have no idea why you talk about combos as something "where you can't do anything" (?)
Actually those are exactly the "chain" strings you're talking about, like PeePee doing u tilt u tilt utilt on the invitational... hmm, I'm not sure why that's supposedly a good thing.
Again, no, I'm not "one of those".
I'm just saying that I don't find the combo situation too reassuring, it's my only complain. I'm pretty happy about the edge mechanics.
I like what you say that you can follow up some stuff from the dash attacks for example, etc, but I'd be happy if they were a bit more DI dependant like in Melee, but maybe those times are over.

I'm just hoping for some follow ups from attacks, to put it simply

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Well, if you want to get into jargon specifics, technically a "combo" IS, by definition, a sequence of moves that the opponent cannot escape from/avoid. Yes, in previous games you could DI to try and avoid the next blow, but the part that makes it a combo is that if the opponent guesses your DI correctly you will ALWAYS get hit again. It only WOULDN'T be a combo if there was a way you could DI to always avoid getting hit again regardless of whether or not the opponent reads your DI correctly.

That is in contrast with a "string" of moves, which is a series of moves during which the opponent has the ability to react (and potentially stop your string), but usually the nature of good "strings" mean your opponent will LIKELY choose an option that will result in getting hit again. Note that Brawl "combos" are really mostly "strings" with few exceptions (Diddy's Banana combos being ones I'm particularly familiar with). On the other end of the extreme, in 64 there were copious (unavoidable? I think) 0-to-death legit combos, such that I've been told that two equally and very talented 64 players will win or lose based on whether or not they land the first hit.

TL;DR "combos" are different than "strings," a distinction that @ Overswarm Overswarm specifically acknowledged already

Last edited:

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Wii fit trainer is very fast and quite powerful. Isn't too light cause I was able to tank before dying. Her sun salutation charges fast and gives good damage.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Happy to see a gameplay analysis that compares to the other games but doesn't use them as some grading rubric.

Personally this isn't looking like it's everything I want, the absence of Smash DI in particular annoys me, but I'm very excited to see what happens.
IDK, I'm neutral on the lack of SDI. I always hated how multi-hit attacks practically didn't work against decent players, and Pit always had trouble KOing because of it. But now infinite jabs will be alot more troublesome. I guess it'd be easier to balance knowing every move works as intended though.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
IDK, I'm neutral on the lack of SDI. I always hated how multi-hit attacks practically didn't work against decent players, and Pit always had trouble KOing because of it. But now infinite jabs will be alot more troublesome. I guess it'd be easier to balance knowing every move works as intended though.
I thought infinite jabs were gone? I had assumed that was the point of adding the finishing moves to rapid jabs, though I haven't played the game yet so I might be wrong.

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
Infinite jabs are gone, though it would seem as rapid jabs should be more viable now that there is no SDI.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I thought infinite jabs were gone? I had assumed that was the point of adding the finishing moves to rapid jabs, though I haven't played the game yet so I might be wrong.
No, they just have finishers when you let go from what I hear. You can hold them for as long as you'd ever want, anyway.

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
I have some info on Sonic, if you're interested.
- Almost the same moveset. He has some changes that weren't in his reveal trailer, however.

- Side B is less floaty. It kind of just hops and goes down really quickly.

- Down B is the same, though there's this purple aura and smoke when it's fully charged.

- Dash attack. IDK if this happened in Brawl, but it traps people on contact, and ends with two kick attacks, with decent knockback.

- Down smash is NO LONGER THAT SPIN THING. Now, it's a split kick, very similar to Fox's.

- Taunts are the same, but he no longer says "YOU'RE TOO SLOW". :'[

I'm not very competitive, so I can't go very far into detail, but that's what I know about him so far.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
...So she's *exactly* like Brawl?
Difficult to describe. She's way more fun to play "feel"-wise. It may be that her environment changed around her, but all I know is I mostly dislike Brawl ZSS and liked Sm

Happy to see a gameplay analysis that compares to the other games but doesn't use them as some grading rubric.

Personally this isn't looking like it's everything I want, the absence of Smash DI in particular annoys me, but I'm very excited to see what happens.

Anyways, the thing I've been wondering the most about Smash 4 is what the meta will be. I personally enjoy watching/playing the more offensive games, though Brawl is good in its own right. This info and the gameplay I've seen (which watching is of course mostly unreliable for judgement) seems to make Smash 4 seem like it'll end up with a very defensive meta. We've only seen a beta demo of course, but I'd still like to ask what people think the game will be like competitively! Do you think it'll have a more defensive stance, offensive stance, or an in between? Once again, thank you for all this great information and for taking your time to let us know!
The game will likely be mildly defensive. Hitting a shield has always been bad, but it seemed easy enough to punish in Smash 4. I'd need more time to really see, but shields didn't seem as reliable. Because of this I wonder if there might be more aggro as a result.

One unique thing is that most of the good setups don't involve OoS options. Some OoS options were really good (like Samus' up+b being a frame one vertical KO move), but none that I know of were combo starters.

Not to be that guy but... he's right. I liked a lot your report, but I have no idea why you talk about combos as something "where you can't do anything" (?)
Actually those are exactly the "chain" strings you're talking about, like PeePee doing u tilt u tilt utilt on the invitational... hmm, I'm not sure why that's supposedly a good thing.
Again, no, I'm not "one of those".
I'm just saying that I don't find the combo situation too reassuring, it's my only complain. I'm pretty happy about the edge mechanics.
I like what you say that you can follow up some stuff from the dash attacks for example, etc, but I'd be happy if they were a bit more DI dependant like in Melee, but maybe those times are over.

I'm just hoping for some follow ups from attacks, to put it simply
You probably shouldn't follow up "not to be that guy" with being that guy.

As for 0-death combos, I've personally done the reverse drill infinite as Fox vs. Peach across FD. There is literally nothing a human player can do to prevent it. Wobbling? Ditto. IC chain grab on Falcon? Ditto. You can do it Brawl style so there's no opportunity to even DI! It's not something I was even bringing up (it's why I suggested marvel), but he asked so there it is. I didn't respond to him not because I didn't know what to so. I didn't respond because he's not worth talking to.

This is a smash 4 thread in a smash 4 forum, people can talk about Melee elsewhere. I've played the game longer than most people on smashboards, I don't need a guy to say "well, technically you can SDI out of Fox's u-air unless he hits with the middle of his body" if I'm talking about a Fox combo. I know. I just don't care.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Thanks Overswarm. I've seen your stuff on Youtube, I'm a content creator as well.

I'm working a video to delve into a topic like this, so this is really reassuring.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
First off, I want to give you a genuine "Thank you" for your thorough analysis. It's really appreciated and honestly restored my hype for the game.

It's going to be so interesting to see how characters develop and the overall meta in general - with each new game that's always exciting.

Again, kudos. Very well done. :)

wangston

Smash Lord
How much time did you get to sit down and play them game? Was it just free for all items two minutes at best buy or did you have an opportunity to play singles?

Also it's nice to see you still keep up with smash.

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
All FFA, though some of them were with only competitive smashers so we got to actually "play". We typically spent a few seconds at the start figuring stuff out and were able to retest what others found.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Best thread yet in regards to the gameplay info we've received as of late.

I was upset from the amount of negativity that it was getting. But I came here and saw that you quelled some of it. And for that alone, I thank you.

Stay on point with the Smash 4 meta, bro. I'll be looking forward to hearing more.

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
Thanks for this! I've been trying to mitigate a lot of the damage I've seen via social media that's been putting this game straight in the can, simply because I can see how the metagame would shift just based off of what I saw with grabs alone.

I have to ask, since you mentioned a Bowser down-B destroys a fully-charged shield now: do you know if shields are nerfed, or if Bowser's down-B was just buffed?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
As for 0-death combos, I've personally done the reverse drill infinite as Fox vs. Peach across FD. There is literally nothing a human player can do to prevent it. Wobbling? Ditto. IC chain grab on Falcon? Ditto. You can do it Brawl style so there's no opportunity to even DI! It's not something I was even bringing up (it's why I suggested marvel), but he asked so there it is. I didn't respond to him not because I didn't know what to so. I didn't respond because he's not worth talking to.
This is incorrect actually. Both the flatland infinite and the IC -> Falcon chaingrab can be escaped by your opponent if they know what they are doing, and it's a very common thing in melee at the moment. Wobbling is only escapeable under 30% of course. To escape the flatland infinite you sdi the drill so that the shine doesn't hit you and there is no way for fox to follow up before you can dash away or dodge. This is why you don't see this attempted at top level play, the players are more than technical enough but know it doesn't actually combo. Falcon escapes the reverse dair cg by IC's by sdi inwards as well though it's a bit harder than the flatland to escape.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Loved reading all this Overswarm, a lot of us are happy with the direction of the game and just like we made brawl competitive we'll be happy to do so for this game.

Kel

Smash Master
I just posted a wall of text in the BBR. Since OS and I went to play Smash 4 together I will post that WOT here too.

It seems like Brawl at first, but then you realize it's more grounded and that there are major differences.

I think Mac will be good at first and then eventually more like a glass canon when people start playing against him like he's the ICs. Depending on his super armor, characters like Marth could give him trouble. Mac dittos will be interesting as the person that takes the first stock will have a punch while the other one has to reset his super meter. A combo/ hard read or two and the Mac that takes the first stock could be up two stocks very quickly.

Rosalina seems like a character that many will try at first, get frustrated with, and then abandon. Later in Smash 4's life, I expect her to have surprising results as a sleeper character (like ZSS in Brawl). She is really slow up close, but the whole point of her character is to use luma to zone people at a certain distance. She will probably end up with an infinite. Either Luma-Rosalina multi hit infinite (especially if there is no smash DI) or something like a footstool infinite could be possible maybe.

Greninja will at least be in a usable tier. Fast characters are always at least usable and he has a lot of tools. He will be a Bair-heavy character but there's tons of things yet to be unseen about his over B and whatnot. I tried to over B off the ledge for ledge-hogging and whatnot, but it stops at the edge. Also of note, his dair doesn't have lag on shield or when it hits. He bounces off the opponent and resets to neutral air pose.

Many people were disappointed in Megaman, but I feel he will be fine. He has a really good recovery (I was blasted away to the upper-left hand magnifying glass and recovered no problem), projectiles, smashes that will be good for hardreads/ air dodge reads (usmash and Dsmash are good for this), and other potential shenanigans with metal blade/ leaf shield. He could become a bad character later on, but he feels usable at this point. I'll play him at least a bit as a potential main.

Sonic seemed just like Brawl. His uair was a little bit better, but everything else seemed similar. Sonic's main problems in Brawl were how slow he was in close range paired with not having fast/ good hitboxes to deal with close ranged combat. Also he couldn't kill in Brawl, but I don't think Uair or Bair were buffed enough to give him a reliable kill. I heard his fsmash came out faster now, but it didn't seem too much faster, and its hitbox was always a problem. I see Sonic being the same.

Marth seemed weird to me. I've mained marth in melee and Brawl, but I don't think I'll want to play him this time. he seems just like Brawl marth, but without the early percent combos/ follow ups. His Uthrow, Fthrow, and B throw all pushed people too far away for follow ups. Only reads can earn a hit after these throws. Overswarm told me his B-throw is better for early percent follow-ups and that it's changed it trajectory from the last couple games, but I haven't seen that. His main attack still seems to be rising fair. He might have a little more range in comparison to brawl, but this will all be relative to the other characters.

Villager was interesting. The character has every recovery option in the world. Over B goes all the way across the world and the balloons are also very good at recovering horizontal. His bowling ball is slow to come out, but hits hard. Tree has little use other than MAYBE edge guarding/ hard reads. Given his recovery, he should die early in comparison to the rest of the cast.

Overswarm was going on a little bit about how shiek was improved and that pivot canceling dashes into ftilt could be super useful. Her grenade over B pulls people toward her. Sorry, i don't have much on her.

Couple random things I noticed:
edge hugging is a little bit different. You cannot dash and hit down to grab the ledge really quick anymore. However, you can still snipe the edge really quick if you are really close to the ledge. In order to grab the ledge reliably I would do what Isai used to do in Melee/ 64 and roll to the ledge while the opponent was recovering. From that position I was able to grab the ledge.

Some people reported that if you were on a ledge and someone else is near it that they take it from you, but I never had that happen. I am assuming that since 14/16 people at the invitational were melee kids that maybe they didn't understand how edge hogging worked in Brawl. If you try to roll in smash 4 while grabbing the ledge, the opponent will grab the ledge as soon as you start the animation (just like in brawl). However, I never noticed anyone taking the edge from me while I was on it.

HOWEVER, the new ledge invincibility mechanic is awesome. Absolutely no planking. if you grab the ledge once and then drop down and regrab it, you have no invincibility. Overswarm got gigabowser once and I instinctively went to plank with marth. On my first time dropping from the ledge and up Bing, he dtilted me and killed me. That was a huge "oh yeahhhhh" moment. This will be good for the game. Especially if no one has a glide (which pit and charizard don't at this point I hear)

I think i'll stop now because this is already TL;DR material, but I'm super stoked about this game. Even the 3DS version will be awesome to have at fests/ on the way to tournaments in cars/ airports/ planes. I cannot wait and I'm just super sad I have to go another half a year of my life without this game.

I think Overswarm and i got to play the game much more than most people, so if anyone has any questions or noticed something different than what I posted above, let me know and I'll tell you what I think. I can also ask overswarm if you'd like.

HoodsxX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanhouDrops
3DS FC
3067-5933-7964
In terms of what overswarm was saying about the hitstun being more for "strings" than combos how doo you feel about this Kel? ^

Kel

Smash Master
It really depends on the characters, moves, and metagame. When Brawl first came out people assumed that D3 had the *only* chain grab in the game. Later people realized characters like Pikachu also had them. Ice Climbers regrab was discovered a week or two after Brawl's release.

There will be some combos. I saw hungry box Dair to Utilt to Bair with kirby. That looked like a combo. There will also be follow-ups (IE what I was talking about above with Marth's early percent throws to read attempts). How much or little will depend on the final build of the game and whatever mechanics we find. I mean, I have heard reports of people being completely unable to smash DI, and I've heard reliable people (Keitaro) say that they could smash DI just fine. We will have to wait until the game is final/ out before we can lay laws on what to expect/ not expect from the metagame.

It felt to me that there would be more combos than Brawl, but definitely less than Melee. We might have to go back to 4 stock as people seemed to die a little after 100% in this game and combos could be a bigger deal than they were in Brawl (IE combos could take a character to 50%+ and after a couple of hits be dead). I cannot say for sure, but I think combos will exist more than in Brawl for sure.

HoodsxX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanhouDrops
3DS FC
3067-5933-7964
Alright thanks for the breakdown of that question I appreciate it. Hopefully I'll have more time on Saturday to test things out during the smashfest.

Kel

Smash Master
If you remember, try to DACUS. People were saying they could do it with Megaman. I forgot to try it during the 2 minutes of elation.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I can't believe you two got to play so much... There were hundreds of people at most places and impossibly slow lines so you guys really were just crazy lucky.

Anyway, I only got to play three times, but something I noticed that neither of you mentioned is that it seems like weight is a much bigger factor in launch resistance than before. In particular, I just felt immortal with DK, and I noticed people playing as Bowser just didn't die either. Part of this is probably the new physics on launches that seem to be a completely pre-canned state (fall speed may not affect anything anymore since it seems like the normal physics are completely suspended until the launch state ends, a relative advantage for DK and Bowser), but it seemed like even beyond that the effects of weight were just exaggerated. Did either of you notice anything like that? That was the main "technical" point I observed, and if you guys got to play a lot, it would be interesting to hear if you saw things like that too.

Kel

Smash Master
I didn't, but Brawl felt weird at first as well. It was really hard to determine when you "should have" died when Brawl was new. I've heard DK could actually be good in this game. He was ALMOST good in Brawl with a couple short-comings.

Also, fun fact: Overswarm broke my shield (I was Marth) with Bowser's down B in ONE HIT. I was shielding only slightly before the hit but it completely broke it by itself. OS watched it happen again in one of the Treehouse streams.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
When I was Bowser and DK I typically died at roughly the same % as normal, so I cannot verify. I CAN say that knockback moves, such as anything bowser does typically don't make for good followups. :(

There were about 100-130 people there overall for the entire event, but most played once and left. We just kind of split up characters and tested stuff out.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Sonic seemed just like Brawl. His uair was a little bit better, but everything else seemed similar. Sonic's main problems in Brawl were how slow he was in close range paired with not having fast/ good hitboxes to deal with close ranged combat. Also he couldn't kill in Brawl, but I don't think Uair or Bair were buffed enough to give him a reliable kill. I heard his fsmash came out faster now, but it didn't seem too much faster, and its hitbox was always a problem. I see Sonic being the same.
So apparently Sonic has a new DSmash. Did you feel as though it has any decent KO power? If Sonic is so similar to Brawl, I feel that having a stronger DSmash could actually be a big deal for him as it'll help with his KOing problems that existed in that game (unless, you know, he becomes too over reliant on it lol).

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Well I've been thinking on the subject and honestly it's not an omission I think I'll particularly miss. I remember I used to do the input for Smash DI before I even actually knew they were inputs that did anything or even had a name.

Mostly I'm just used to doing it, so knowing it actually isn't there is a bit of a shock to the system.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
Great insight, nice to see someone evaluating the game itself instead of pointing out how its not Melee 2.0.

I'm curious however about classic Samus, if you have any experience with her? I keep hearing she plays kind of like Ryu from Street Fighter in that she is more about spacing and punishing approaches, and apparently is one of the better characters in the game based on internal testing. Unfortunately I haven't seen any good videos of her to really get a feel of how she's being played regardless.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
When I was Bowser and DK I typically died at roughly the same % as normal, so I cannot verify. I CAN say that knockback moves, such as anything bowser does typically don't make for good followups. :(

There were about 100-130 people there overall for the entire event, but most played once and left. We just kind of split up characters and tested stuff out.
I have a quick question, when you would hit Simone with a smash attack did they grunt like in melee I've always likes that feature

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
Great insight, nice to see someone evaluating the game itself instead of pointing out how its not Melee 2.0.

I'm curious however about classic Samus, if you have any experience with her? I keep hearing she plays kind of like Ryu from Street Fighter in that she is more about spacing and punishing approaches, and apparently is one of the better characters in the game based on internal testing. Unfortunately I haven't seen any good videos of her to really get a feel of how she's being played regardless.

We might get a better indication of that when we stop having 4-player timed matches. It's hard to really make calls on anything when the extra two people fudge any kind of spacing opportunities that could be provided.

WizKick

Smash Apprentice
While I don't necessarily agree that enjoying playing the game is secondary to winning, I also don't think tilt chains would be a detriment to my enjoyment. Of course at the end of the day I'll play whomever I mesh best with regardless of their advantages. That being said though it's good that I'm already looking forward to Greninja and Sheik. haha

Thanks for the thorough analysis, I am really really really looking forward to the game now!

ChillySundance

Smash Apprentice
Really interesting thread. I specifically like your analysis of the new ledge mechanics. When I first found out that traditional ledgehogging was gone, I felt very deflated. But upon seeing how the new mechanics actually worked, specifically that you can kick someone off the ledge the very second they grab it, I realized that there's still going to be plenty of opportunity for shenanigans on the ledge. Glad to see opinions from someone who's actually messed around with it in depth!

I'm also really happy to hear that hitstun at low % is enough to string together some tilt combos. if Shiek has the option of stringing together multiple Ftilts, then that means more complex and situational combos will become available as people learn the game, for positioning opponents, getting optimal damage for %, and setting up for interesting character-specific stuff. Hearing that smash DI is out of the game is really fantastic news! Finally, multi-hit moves won't feel pointless anymore and will act as intended.

Pretty cool to hear that while the game is still defensive, it's a different kind of defensive. Here's hoping it will be more engaging at high level play.

Since you tested out Shiek a lot, I'm curious if you were able to find anything cool with her new down B move. Apparently it's a spike. What happens when you land it on a standing opponent? Are they popped up into the air, or are they bounced on the ground in a techable state?

Also, please elaborate more on the feel of shields. Are they as powerful as in Brawl? Did you feel like frontal approaches from the air were specifically punishable/unviable? How fast do they regenerate from damage by comparison? I would love a metagame where shield breaking is actually something that can happen more frequently, as opposed to NEVER (in Brawl's case).

_yuna

Smash Apprentice
So the dashes I saw at the invitational looked too slow for dash-dancing to be useful... But still; did you test it out?

Top Bottom