• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Small tournament/fest April 4th Boone, NC

Nebs

Smash Apprentice
alright, definitely coming to this. The guys giving me a ride are for PC, and that shiz lasts forever, so I'll be around for freeplay after if there's interest.

Sengin

Smash Ace
Nebs, I always have interest. Oh, at the last Western LAN, did you play either Devin or cool in melee?

lord karn

Smash Master
There is a tourney in SoVa on the 25th, melee only. I already told Toasty that I would go and I think Lozr and a lot of other people are going as well. You should do the next tourney after that one.

Sengin

Smash Ace
If one gets hosted after the 25th, it may not be able to be hosted on campus, and thus would not have much space. Though it looks like that's the only option, because I STILL have not gotten a response about the 25th yet.

Sengin

Smash Ace
Well, Devin doesn't really play melee anymore, and cool is just starting to get back into after a long brawl kick. And you're welcome.

Melee singles will start at 2ish, then melee doubles if there's enough interest. Brawl singles will start at 6, and then doubles if there's enough interest.

~Kuja~

Smash Cadet
Hey Sengin, im most likely going to come. I cant promise that i will be there, but im about 90% sure. I will only be there for the brawl portion though and i am interested in doubles as well

Nebs

Smash Apprentice
right, so huge peeve of mine. why are there still pools in this tourney!?? pools are for big tourneys that need to weed down to a 32 or 64 (sometimes 128) man bracket. ie, 9 people per pool and the best 4 from each advance etc. they are not commonly used for seeding. with a double elim bracket (as this one is) there is no need for seeding. it only wastes tons of time, as i'm sure those of you at the feb boone tourney remember. It's great that this time they're just single match, but why have them at all?

Sengin

Smash Ace
(I had actually completely forgot I typed about pools, I think I wasn't going to do them for this coming tourney). Well, one reason I have used them: some people get really pissy and whiny when the lose fast. So I came up with the pool idea a while ago so that it gives people a gauranteed number of matches greater than 2. This appeases most of the casual players, and the competitive smashers just get more matches and are happy. If this was going to be a large tournament, I wouldn't do pools. And I probably won't tomorrow unless there's a demand for it. But as far as wasting time: I really am not expecting a lot of people for the melee tournament tomorrow. So pools was a way (in the past for small tournies) to artificially extend it so more matches are played and we still finish in like 90-120 minutes. But if you promise lots of friendlies and don't just leave like some people, then every reason for pools is gone.

But yeah, I'm not doing pools for a big tournament. I just don't expect a whole lot for this one...I hope I am wrong, though.

Edit: I didn't actually mention anything of pools. If you are referencing the gaming.appstate website, pools are listed there because that's what I've done in the past for the reasons above.

pools are like my warm- ups because i suck ****.

idgaf though. I won't be coming this weekend- unless knorr wants to make some random road trip up there after down here instead of roadtripping just to charlotte to chill tonight.

Nebs

Smash Apprentice
(I had actually completely forgot I typed about pools, I think I wasn't going to do them for this coming tourney). Well, one reason I have used them: some people get really pissy and whiny when the lose fast. So I came up with the pool idea a while ago so that it gives people a gauranteed number of matches greater than 2. This appeases most of the casual players, and the competitive smashers just get more matches and are happy. If this was going to be a large tournament, I wouldn't do pools. And I probably won't tomorrow unless there's a demand for it. But as far as wasting time: I really am not expecting a lot of people for the melee tournament tomorrow. So pools was a way (in the past for small tournies) to artificially extend it so more matches are played and we still finish in like 90-120 minutes. But if you promise lots of friendlies and don't just leave like some people, then every reason for pools is gone.

But yeah, I'm not doing pools for a big tournament. I just don't expect a whole lot for this one...I hope I am wrong, though.

Edit: I didn't actually mention anything of pools. If you are referencing the gaming.appstate website, pools are listed there because that's what I've done in the past for the reasons above.
Yeah, I was referring to the App gaming site. Actually, extending play isn't a bad idea, it's just that I think you'll be surprised with the numbers, or at least, the last time I went to the Lan event there were a lot more for smash than expected, and it took something like 6 hours to run, mostly because of pools lol, though single match pools should work a lot better.

I'll be there for friendlies this time regardless.

Sengin

Smash Ace
Yeah, I was referring to the App gaming site. Actually, extending play isn't a bad idea, it's just that I think you'll be surprised with the numbers, or at least, the last time I went to the Lan event there were a lot more for smash than expected, and it took something like 6 hours to run, mostly because of pools lol, though single match pools should work a lot better.

I'll be there for friendlies this time regardless.
If you're referring to the smash event on January 24th, then it wasn't a LAN - it was smash only, and thus I was given free reign to run it how I wanted (plus I was expecting that many people - at the last LAN that had smash brothers barely anyone showed up for smash). Also, I was originally going to do single-match pools, but some people told me it would be better to do 2/3 match pools, so I changed it at the last minute.

Sengin

Smash Ace
Nebs and Eyce, thanks for coming up. Sorry it was so small, but it made for massive friendlies. I hope you guys got back ok and your driver didn't go off the road any more...

Eyce - jeez, keep working on that Yoshi. His dair just eats falcons. You are pretty **** good for just a month of practicing with him.

Nebs - good job on winning, even though I know you were definitely not at your best. I enjoyed our matches greatly and look forward to playing more later.

Oh, and those quad-falcon matches were AMAZING.

Nebs

Smash Apprentice
Nebs and Eyce, thanks for coming up. Sorry it was so small, but it made for massive friendlies. I hope you guys got back ok and your driver didn't go off the road any more...

Eyce - jeez, keep working on that Yoshi. His dair just eats falcons. You are pretty **** good for just a month of practicing with him.

Nebs - good job on winning, even though I know you were definitely not at your best. I enjoyed our matches greatly and look forward to playing more later.

Oh, and those quad-falcon matches were AMAZING.
Thanks Bro. You really surprised me with how far your tech skill has come since we last played. Just gotta work on that DI lol. You definitely could have gone farther, but sometimes with falco all it takes is that one slip-up...oh well.

And yeah, there isn't even a word for how good quad-falcon is.

ArowYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Appalachian State University/ West Jefferson, NC
Dude!! i hope that your tourney on the 25th gets approved, i had a really good feeling yesterday and was playing some of my best, my bad luck just started when i lost that extreamly close match to Angel, but he came in second so i dont feel so bad, heck i feel great!!!

Top Bottom