• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Small 5 Second Survey (Your'e too late... its over.. )

Kaoz

Smash Cadet
Hello, first, before you start flaming this thread for being a total rip-off of Trebor-Nella's "How do you fight Ike?" threads, theres a couple of things I would like to point out that make this survey different from his thread:
  • This thread is ONLY for the Game & Watch boards
  • The results of this survey will be beneficiary to the G&W boards(well..kind of xD)
  • This thread is made out of simple curiosity, not necessity
Basicly, I trust the G&W boards ;). And I DID take the basic idea from Trebor-Nella, but gave it a twist.

That being said, this are the basic questions of this survey:

Basic Questions

1. What control(s) do you use?(Wiimote, Wiimote & Nunchuk, Classic GC Controller, etc..)

2. What is your favorite G&W move?

3. In your opinion, which matchup is the most difficult for G&W?

4. Why did you choose G&W?

5. Please describe your own experience with G&W, in tournaments or at home with some friendly matches.

If you have any questions that you would like to add to ask the G&W boards, just PM it to me and I'll make sure to add it. The length of the survey can be both shortened or made longer, depending of the success of the thread itself.

Thank you Game & Watch boards! :gw:

rabbt

Smash Journeyman
1. GC controller, since it's not awful.

2. Jumping into getting killed! Well, not really. I like the fair and bair, and for no good reason the bacon.

3. I have an amazingly hard time fighting Snake, but I think that's partially because I'm terrible.

4. Bowser is godawful. My friends told me to play G&W, and I've always been a fan of him anyway.

5. So far so good. I have a stupid tendency to DI into things, but aside from that I usually do okay (I still haven't played at a tournament yet).

Kaoz

Smash Cadet
Wow I'd never thought someone would reply so fast. Thank you for your quick response and welcome to SWF ;)

:gw:

Sw0rd

Smash Cadet
1. Gc controller, because it's easy to use.

2. I like his uair, cause you annoy the heck out of people by keeping them in the air. :laugh:

3. I have a hard time fighting olimar, those pikmin get really annoying. :ohwell:

4. I mained him in melee.

5. Pretty good, I get a little bit predictable at times, but I'm working on that. I've never played in a tourney.

daytimeninja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gavgrego
1. gamecube

2. bair, its verrrrry good

3. anyone with a tight projectile game that cant be bucketed

4. I saw cosmo do well with him at a tournament

5. With my experiences GaW is a very all around good player. He has strong, versatile attacks, along with a pretty good recovery.

arrex

Smash Cadet
1. I use gamecube, classic, or wiimote and nunchuck

2. ohhh, love his bair lol. but i find using his side tilt fun too (where he pulls out a chair in front of him)

3. hmm, i dont think that i can best any of the zelda characters, particularly bcuz my friend is good with them

4. chose him bcuz he is fun to play with and he is a well rounded character for me

5. havent been in any tourneys. but when playing with friends, it annoys them for some reason when i use him

straydogywog

Smash Rookie
1. Gamecube controller

2. His new Bucket pwns all, and has given me hope against the nightmare named pikachu

3. um... Marth, he's faster, has longer range and great priority

4.I mained him in melee and loved him, In brawl he is mainly the same but buffed an everyway

5.I unfortunately haven't had a chance to go to a brawl tourny yet, but so far I'm very successful with him online, and among friends

DavieBoy

Smash Apprentice
1. GC controller with tap jump turned off

2. Fishbowl because it looks cool and is a great move to rack up damage.

3. Snake because of his great projectiles and tilts.

4. I had a hard time picking a main for brawl and decided to try every one and found G&W the funnest to play as.

5. Never been to a tourney, but from other matches I can say he is one of the better players and dose very well against almost anyone.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
1. What control(s) do you use?(Wiimote, Wiimote & Nunchuk, Classic GC Controller, etc..)

I use the GameCube Controller, but recently it's been annoying me to no end. Turning be around randomly when I use grab, sometimes the C-Stick never works because of the way they did the inputting, and it generally pisses me off. The classic isn't bad, but I'm used to the scheme of the GC. I also use tap jump :[

I'm partial to the Dtilt and the Chef. The Dtilt comes out as a nice combo finisher, can stop the Link's arrows and boomerangs!, and can stall against the wall, which is probably the coolest thing to do when they choose Delphino. The chef makes a good spacer and an edgeguarder. I also like the fishbowl :]

Oh god. Its Olimar hands down. The Turtle like gets shield grabbed for some reason, I have trouble approaching, and Dtilt doesn't work as well as the other thread said it did. I faced someone not as good as I am, and beat him a bunch. He whips out Olimar, and he wins twice out of the three matches. He's the worst.

Marth also gives some problems.

MK is easy peasy.

Snake is hard in general, but in terms of matchup, Olimar is harder.

My older brother mained him through most of melee. In the first half of melee's lifetime, I mained only Yoshi. Then I started using G&W as my main in the other half of melee and he's stuck ever since. Tier hoppers are a pet peeve, but I guess it's ok.

5. Please describe your own experience with G&W, in tournaments or at home with some friendly matches.

Amazing. He can deal with so many cast members that you don't exactly need to main someone to help against his weakness of Olimar and Marth. I use Yoshi, PT, and Dk regardless, but G&W is a one man army. And even though Yoshi has an advantage against Olimar, G&W is still easier to use in the matchup, I believe.

SnaggleTooth

Smash Cadet
1. GameCube Controller... IMO, the only controller to be used if your were born and raised on Smash64 and Melee

2. Favorite move...The Parachute... It's abilities are endless

3. Snake, he pwns all

4. The discussion of him as top tier material drew me into him. That and my going on 100 hours of gameplay with him already :D

5. Awesome... He's obviously a great pick, and it's very satisfying to see reactions on people's faces when they see a decent GaW

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer

4. Why did you choose G&W

1.I prefer the hated classic controller b/c it allows quicker finger movements b/c the buttons are closer together. although it was hard to get used to, i think it's better than the popular gc. I use c-stick for regular a-attacks. i'm trying to learn to turn off tap jump b/c it's more exact.

2.favorite move eh. i'd have to say upair b/c it's great for mind games, and i love to infinitely float a zelda that has used den's fire already. lols

3.worst matchups...definitely olimar and marth. i main olimar so that's not hard for me to play against.(i'd use olimar v olimar in a tourney rather than using GaW v olimar) marth's range is difficult to circumvent. :(

4. he's a great secondary for olimar b/c he counters many opponents that olimar's bad against. i mean, for real... it's GaW ftw.

5. wow, this is too broad to answer. just refer to my posts in this forum to get this answer.

GenericKen

Smash Cadet
1. GC controler, tap jump off. I tried the nuchuck + wiimote for a while, but it just felt like it was missing a button, and the control pad hurt like hell to assign to any control.

2. Probably dtilt. I like playing a space and tempo control game.

3. From what I've heard, Olimar, but in my experience TLink. None of his many versitile projectiles are bucketable and he has more range, so he can maintain a safe distance without giving G&W a chance to finish with his slower smashes.

4. He has no bad moves, and he has a lot of mobility. I believe he has the most versitile approach in the game. Plus he's a freak. =O)

5. G&W gud. =O)

Gill

Smash Journeyman

GC.

Key.

Meta Knight.

He has an amazing amount of unqiue and bizzare personality.

Its pretty rare I get frustrated using G&W, because his style is pretty much anti-everyone else's. He's good against projectile users, he can control the air with his aerials, and his down smash, forward smash, and down-throw to tech-read usmash handles the ground pretty decently. He makes matches fun, because he doesn't have a glaring counterpick. (Least I think so.) He's very capable of adapting, which makes matches interesting.

napZzz

Smash Hero
1. GC controller with tap jump turned off

2. Fishbowl because it looks cool and is a great move to rack up damage.

3. Snake because of his great projectiles and tilts.

4. I had a hard time picking a main for brawl and decided to try every one and found G&W the funnest to play as.

5. Never been to a tourney, but from other matches I can say he is one of the better players and dose very well against almost anyone.
exact same

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
1. Gamecube Controller (I've been playing Melee, so why use another controller?)

2. Cement Factory or Mr. Turtle

3. Olimar

4. The only 2-D character in Brawl! He may not be the best, but he's certainly a very fun character

5. Loved him. I find his moves absolutely cute and funny (MAN HOLE!)

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
GC controller. Tap jump off. Y as grab. (I use X to jump)

Has to be the fishbowl.

Toon Link gives me problems. His projectiles cannot be bucketed, he has a disjointed hitbox and he has a good recovery.

One of my melee mains. He is fun to play as. Great taunts. New cyan colour is awesome.

One of my friends hates the bell taunt. He infuriates him. Other than the annoyance factor he is a great and fun character who is good against most of the roster.

alphameric

Smash Ace
1. GC Controller
2. Tie between the bair and uair.
3. I hate playing against ZSS.
4. He was my main in Melee, so it's only natural for him to be my main in Brawl.
5. Even though GAW ***** everything, I tend to use him as a trump card in case I lose the first match as Wario (as unlikely as that is). Playing GAW in Melee pretty much made the Brawl counterpart tournament ready from the get-go :p

Kaoz

Smash Cadet
Small 5 Second Survey (9 Days Left!)

There are only 9 days left until this survey ends! Thank you all for your responses for they are trully appreciated. I am actually quite surprised that so many people have taken the survey, and I am sure that this will have a positive effect in the G&W boards.

Keep those answers coming G&W boards! :gw:

Lotsa_Spaghetti

Smash Apprentice
1 Gamecube controller, of course
2 Turtle's great, and spiking with a slowfall key is one of God's greatest achievements
3 CURSE YOU TOON LINK!!!
4 I liked playing him in melee because he was so annoying, then when i saw how much he'd improved in brawl i wanted to try him out. I did, and i fell in love at first fight and never went back.
5 I sucked against my friend's Captain Falcon and my other friend's Sheik in melee, but i can **** them with my Game and Watch. It's a great feeling.

frenchclops

Smash Cadet
1. GC Controller
2. Definetely the dsmash and its lovely comboing potential.
3. Marth, but I haven't played too many competent opponents like Olimar.
4. I discovered he was the only one with whom I could beat all the boss battles difficulties and decided to stick with him.
5. He's great because nobody expects to see a good or even decent Game and Watch and it's fun to surprise them.

Fuzzamazoo

Smash Cadet
Somewhere out there in a land called nowhere
1. Gamecube or Wiimote sideways

2. Fishbowl!!!!

3. Apparently i'm having a difficult time playing against my friend who is a peach user. That and olimar.

4. IA unique character.

5. I haven't been in a tournament but i have been playing a lot of people. I'm pretty decent,

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
1. gamecube controller

2. n-air is the best!!

3. olimar

4. because I used to main him in melee years ago until i found out he sucked ***

5. i've won a lot of tournaments and he's a lot of fun in early rounds until you get to about the semifinals, then you have to "camp" a lot more with spaced b-airs and it gets pretty old.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties

GCN.

Turtle

Wario.

The turtle.

Has a move for every situation. Has only one downfall, and that's his light-weight.

superorange

Smash Rookie

Classic Controller

GIANT OCTOOPUUUUUS! When Final Smashes are off, Fishbowl and F-Air

Toon Link and Peach

I liked him a lot in melee, and his jerky, off-kilter style of fighting entertains me. I think his moves are all-around hilarious.

People never seem to know what to do about G&W. His hitboxes seem to constantly surprise people, as they think they're out of range, but they're right on the edge. His lightweight isn't as big a deal when you can move so efficiently.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
1. Gamecube Controller.

2. The Up B. It lets you chase the opponent everywhere. If you're talking about offense, Bair.

3. Olimar. You can't absorb the pikmin and your projectile does not allow you to approach him. Plus, he kills you early.

4. Got bored of Olimar, couldn't find a main. Played against my friend, loved his off stage playstyle, picked him up.

5. I have one close friend who I play against. When I was playing as Olimar, it was a relatively even match for the most part. With Game and Watch, I can easily three stock him.

Steck

Smash Journeyman
1. GC - with tap jump
2. Chef because its awesome
3. Ike- the power in the hands of a decent player means bad things for G&W, and Olimar is generally hard to kill,
4. Because I really liked him as a character in melee but he didn't really do that well fighting my friend's Falco. I stilled played as him alot just because I liked him so much. i also really enjoy the G&W gallery games
5. G&W is 2 whole dimensions of pwn

Kaoz

Smash Cadet
Ok guys, just 8 more days remaining of the survey!, after that I will take the results. I know I can count on you people! It's just a small survey, dont be shy and post your answers and/or opinions!

Keep those answers coming G&W boards! :gw:

Moo2

Smash Cadet
1. Gamecube controller, its the most familiar

2. Fishbowl (mained mewtwo in melee, this move feels closest to Mewtwo's Nair)

3. King Dedede

4. He is so wierd. Srsly, a fishbowl?

5. He is hard to predict.

Ilex

Smash Ace
GameCube controller.

Has to be his large black package.

Snake, or Ike.

He's so random and has the most personality.

5. Please describe your own experience with G&W, in tournaments or at home with some friendly matches. He's fairly good, but his aerials become predictable to my friends after a while.

homer2020

Smash Cadet
Gamecube, played melee too much to use any other one

Bair

Olimar, Snake and Marth

I love his awkward fighting style, and they way he seems to teleport into different positions, you never know what move is coming next. for example MK runs at me..... *chair* "wtf where did that come from?"

(haven't been to a tournament with him.. not until Saturday :D) But against friends I love pwning with him, he's so different from other characters no one knows how to deal with him.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Wiimote+Nunchuck and GC. I have custom settings for both.

Down-Smash

Toon Link

I thought he was awesome in Melee (yeah right). Plus, he is so iconic.

I picked up G&W in Brawl for my first time and owned the level 9s easily. He fits me perfectly.

Ginowns

Smash Apprentice
1. Gamecube, since i am the competitive type.

2. Down B. not only is it the most powerful G&W move if used correctly, but if you fight someone with projectiles, it can be a lifesaver. trust me, ive won tourneys using this awesome move.

3. Pit is annoying for me at least, because hes light and has a bit more priority imo.

4. Because i chose random one day, and kicked *** with him. i am amazed at his grab combos that can be chaingrabbed using a special technique.

5. Ive won 3 tournaments using solely him. when i play against my friends, i 3 stock them all the time, and they ask why i kick *** so hard with him. i just reply "practice..."

Kaoz

Smash Cadet
Only 5 days remaining!

I must admit that this survey has had much more success than I had expected it to have(considering that is a survey), and I hope that it continues to adquire as much information as it is posible. It has been 5 days and only 5 days remain. I must also thank all the participants for taking the time to do this.

Don't stop posting! :gw:

Ms. Pac-Master

Smash Journeyman
Basic Questions

GC controller... I want to use the W&N scheme, but I can't break the habit. :(

OCTOPUS!

I have problems with Wolf, mainly due to his laser + fsmash spam. Other G&W give me problems too.

He reminded me of those 1920's cartoon characters, who were poorly animated and pulled random objects from behind their back. I mained the IC's in Melee, and as soon as I fought G&W in the challenge battle, I knew he was something special (after I stopped laughing at "the weird stage with the monkey men" as I called it, heheh). I dropped the IC's forever and G&W has been my main for 6 years and counting!

Hmmm, a lot of people never want to play me again after I fight and beat them with G&W. I think the main reason is because I'm a girl, and they don't want to lose to girls. Another reason is that G&W is probably an embarrassing character to lose against since he's so annoying and unpopular.

But man, I never want to play as the prissy characters that all the girls like to pick (and suck) with. Peach, Zelda and Jigglypuff... ew ew ew ew ew!

I'm also in the finals in a wi-fi tourney on another forum! :)

House M.D.

Smash Apprentice

GC

most reliable --> bair; personal favorite --> usmash

not a lot of experience with it but toon link probably. also have trouble with marth (hard to approach)

kept winning with him and he's hilarious

G&W is very tournament viable. against people with little experience against G&W, bair spam is incredible. mix things up and be patient.

this survey took longer than 5 seconds

Pustulio

Smash Ace
Probably out eating some dirt or something.
1. I use the GC controller, I'd rather keep the same controls.

2. Gotta' be the magic turtle (bair)

3. TL, I just get so pissed off when playing a TL and the projectiles are annoying.

4. I just was messing around with him in friendlies one day and I was told I was good with him, so I've been developing him.

5. I love G&W I just love those random objects he uses for attacks, oh and some people think his sounds are annoying, that helps me to beat up on them lol.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
GCN Controller. Sometimes Wiimote+Nunchuck.

The Key, hands down.

Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!

Light as a feather, stiff as a board--er, he's just so unique and unusual.

Very easy to pick up, but was hard to get better at. Ended up to be one of my better characters. Casually I would just spam cinder blocks :p

JJR.O.B.

Smash Ace
1. What control(s) do you use?(Wiimote, Wiimote & Nunchuk, Classic GC Controller, etc..) GC controller

2. What is your favorite G&W move? BAIR

3. In your opinion, which matchup is the most difficult for G&W? Meta Knight

because I can pone my friends with him
5. Please describe your own experience with G&W, in tournaments or at home with some friendly matches. Yesterday I owned my friend on wifi as G&W against marth, there was no lag at all

Top Bottom