• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U [Sm4sh Mods] (Unofficial) Patch 1.1.7: The Fan Patch [Discontinued. See Updated Thread for details]

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
I think that one of the biggest ultimate failures of SD Remix was its unwillingness to nerf top tier characters.

In terms of fixing characters' viability, toning down the most centralizing characters goes so far. Literally toning down some of the top tiers in vanilla would be godsend to the viability of most of the cast, even before applying buffs to them.

Don't kill the top tiers [like Nintendo's Bayonetta solution] but deal with some of the things that make them have such good matchups over most of the cast.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Giving the top X characters a light tap to bring them down slightly so its easier to bring the rest of the cast close to the same level isn't dumb. Its a way to make sure you don't overshoot the buffs. Gives you more wiggle room.
And makes sure your friends will never agree to play the mod, assuming they like those characters, thus removing any use the mod might have for a lot of people.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
And makes sure your friends will never agree to play the mod, assuming they like those characters, thus removing any use the mod might have for a lot of people.
Simultaneously making sure that people who like balance also play the mod, thus counterbalancing those friends who don't know what they're talking about.

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, everyone plays top tier characters because it's totally the character that they would most like to play.

It's not like many people choose good characters because they're good, even though there might be many low tiers that they would rather play if they were viable.

[By the way, the people who happen to play a top tier because they like them are also the exact people who you're never going to get interested in this mod, because their character is losing a lot of relative viability anyway, even if they aren't nerfed.]

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
As long as we have the option to choose which characters we'll get changes for when building the mod for ourselves, I don't mind too much. My main objection is that the time spent discussing and testing changes for say, Sheik, could be used for discussing and testing changes for, say, Pac-Man.

Anyway, the goal of this mod should be to make the game more fun. Perhaps nerfing Cloud would make Cloud more fun to play against, but it might also make it less fun to play as Cloud. Buffing underpowered characters would not reduce the overall fun as long as all underpowered characters are buffed to a reasonable level.

Another issue with nerfing top tiers (or any character) is that it messes with tournament practice. If you practice against a weaker Cloud or Sheik, then you might get bodied at tournaments. Of course, not everyone who uses this mod goes to tournaments, so I'm not sure how relevant this is for people interested in this mod. Perhaps someone should make a survey. I do go to local tournaments though, so I would not want characters nerfed.

SageX3

Smash Cadet
Honestly with this whole balancing thing I like to go by the motto. If everthing is OP then nothing is OP.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Honestly with this whole balancing thing I like to go by the motto. If everthing is OP then nothing is OP.
I think it's better to aim for high tier or high-mid tier than top tier. The game would be better if people were around Ness/Meta Knight/Pikachu level, I think. Having a bunch of Sheik/Diddy Kong/Cloud-level characters running around could be annoying. With that being said, I say leave the nerfs for Nintendo/Sora/Namco/whichever company does the balancing changes and focus on buffing the weaker characters for this patch (and later on, give the mid-tiers some love too, and maybe even some small buffs for some of the high-mid tiers).

SageX3

Smash Cadet
I think it's better to aim for high tier or high-mid tier than top tier. The game would be better if people were around Ness/Meta Knight/Pikachu level, I think. Having a bunch of Sheik/Diddy Kong/Cloud-level characters running around could be annoying. With that being said, I say leave the nerfs for Nintendo/Sora/Namco/whichever company does the balancing changes and focus on buffing the weaker characters for this patch (and later on, give the mid-tiers some love too, and maybe even some small buffs for some of the high-mid tiers).
Honestly I fell like all the characters are around that high tier level of strength in comparison with how characters were in previous patches. By that I mean no character stands highly above the rest like pre patch diddy or Bayonetta did. But most the top and high tiers fell very close to the same amount of strength. And the mid tiers don't feel too far from the high tiers, they just need a little more to get them there.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Well said.
Except while aiming for that you'll horribly screw up and have characters waaaaaaay past the other ones.

Don't remember Brawl Minus getting it perfect, that's for sure. And it went with that concept.

Also, buffing characters screws with tournament practice just as much as nerfing them. Suddenly things that combo in the fan mod don't in the vanilla game. Things that kill don't. Ranges are different, etc. Works both ways, thus its an irrelevant argument.

And quite frankly, if somebody is going to refuse to play a mod because Ryu's T.S. kills 10% later, they were never going to play in the first place and are just looking for an excuse.

You want to aim for low high tier/high mid tier? That involves knocking down the top tiers half a peg. That simple.

D

Deleted member

I would be interested in outright nerfing certain top tier characters IF they any of them were overpowered. Currently, none of the top tiers fall into that category thanks to the nerfs they received in the patches. You cannot compare the current top tiers in Smash 4 to those of previous games. Meta Knight completely dominated Brawl with no bad matchups and far and away the best recovery in the game. Fox and Falco in Melee had ridiculous frame one moves that comboed to hell and back and suuuper spammable projectiles. Sheik in Melee invalidated half the characters with her grab alone.

No, we do not need any major outright nerfs. The things I would be okay with, though, are trade-offs to tone down some of the more stupidly designed stuff.

For example, Ness's Back Throw kills hilariously early. Maybe for him, we could tone down the throw's KO power (while still leaving it as a good KO throw), but in exchange improve one or two of his bad moves such as Down Air.

For Rosalina and Luma, maybe we could increase the respawn time of Luma. This wouldn't change their moveset at all, but it would encourage Rosalina players to play more carefully and reward opponents a bit more for KOing Luma.

Last edited by a moderator:

SageX3

Smash Cadet
Except while aiming for that you'll horribly screw up and have characters waaaaaaay past the other ones.

Don't remember Brawl Minus getting it perfect, that's for sure. And it went with that concept.

Also, buffing characters screws with tournament practice just as much as nerfing them. Suddenly things that combo in the fan mod don't in the vanilla game. Things that kill don't. Ranges are different, etc. Works both ways, thus its an irrelevant argument.

And quite frankly, if somebody is going to refuse to play a mod because Ryu's T.S. kills 10% later, they were never going to play in the first place and are just looking for an excuse.

You want to aim for low high tier/high mid tier? That involves knocking down the top tiers half a peg. That simple.
Although Brawl minus didn't do my saying justice, i think PM got it pretty darn close. While PM didn't have ridiculously strong characters,some people might say diddy kong was op, every character felt very equal and extremely fun to play. Characters were returned to their glory days, fox, and some finally were able to shine, Mewtwo. Also it's pretty safe to say this mod will only be used at home and at best in some locals.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Honestly I fell like all the characters are around that high tier level of strength in comparison with how characters were in previous patches. By that I mean no character stands highly above the rest like pre patch diddy or Bayonetta did. But most the top and high tiers fell very close to the same amount of strength. And the mid tiers don't feel too far from the high tiers, they just need a little more to get them there.
I agree that most of the current top tiers are reasonably fair and would just need a few nerfs in order to bring them in line with high tiers. I think that burden should lie on Nintendo/whoever is doing the official patches, not on this patch though.

Which is part of the reason why I think aiming for high tier/high-mid tier is better than aiming for top tier (aside from most top tier characters already being too strong, arguably).

Which is part of the reason why I don't think top tier or high tier characters should be changed. Jigglypuff being buffed won't mess with my tournament practice, since no one I know plays Jigglypuff in my local tournament scene. Buffs to low tier characters won't be too harmful, since most people don't play low tier characters. And I figure that if I play against low tier characters that have been buffed at home and later play against low tier characters that aren't buffed, then I won't be much worse off. If I played against, say, a nerfed Sheik and later faced her un-nerfed, then I'd be worse off.

I doubt I'll apply any changes to characters that I play in tournaments myself.

I would be interested in nerfing top tier characters IF they were completely overpowered. Currently, none of the top tiers fall into that category thanks to the nerfs they received in the patches.
Yeah. I personally think Cloud is the best character in the game right now, and even then he's not really close to the old OPs, or Brawl's OPs, or Melee's OPs.

For example, Ness's Back Throw kills hilariously early. Maybe for him, we could tone down the throw's KO power (while still leaving it as a decent KO throw) but in exchange improve one or two of his bad moves such as Down Air.
Wait, Ness is OP and in need of nerfs now? People generally seem to place him in high tier, sometimes even in high-mid, not top.

For Rosalina and Luma, maybe we could increase the respawn time of Luma.
This could be a bit confusing when sometimes playing with the mod and sometimes without, since you'll get used to a certain time for it to respawn, both when playing with her and against her (not to mention that I still don't think we should nerf any characters).

You may say that "A good player is okay with their favorite character being nerfed". Look at ZeRo's reactions to the Sheik nerfs, or Diddy Kong nerfs. Look at all the outcry at the Bayonetta nerfs. Players are, in general, not okay with their favorite characters being nerfed. They might learn how to deal with it, or they might abandon the character altogether (even if the character is still strong). With official patches, they don't really have much choice, but with a fan patch then can opt not to use it, and I think many would prefer to not use changes like that. Of course, if it's easy to cherry-pick which characters you want changed it's easy enough to just skip the changes for the characters that got nerfed. That's what I'm going to do with the current Cloud-changes, if they're still around whenever the next release is released.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not saying Ness is overpowered. I don't think any of the characters are, which is why I don't want anybody outright nerfed. But from a design perspective, his Back Throw is stupid. I think it would be a completely fair to trade some of his Back Throw's KO power and gave him a couple of other tools to work with. A compromise, if you will, rather than just a nerf. This way he isn't rewarded quite as much for fishing for grabs.

Luma is one of the most poorly designed elements in the game imo. I think it's totally fair to reward opponents more for managing to KO Luma. Think of how important it was for the Ice Climbers to keep Nana alive because she couldn't respawn and Popo was really bad on his own. Right now, Rosalina just has to wait a short amount of time to get her partner back and she is nowhere near as bad as SoPo without her partner. She gains a lot of the benefits of playing a duo character without any of the downsides. That is not good design.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
But fishing for grabs is so much fun! I don't think we should change characters just to give them a new way to play (which some players might not even like). Buff characters that need some buff, but don't change just to create some new playstyle that players of that character might not even enjoy. One of the main reasons I like Ness is because of his back throw (and down throw, and projectiles). Not that it really matters for me specifically because I wouldn't use changes for Ness as long as I'm still playing him tournaments.

I don't disagree that nerfing the Luma respawn time might be a good choice from a design perspective, but I think that the damage to player expectation is enough to make it not worth to go through with (aside from the whole "don't change top tiers, don't nerf anyone").

D

Deleted member

A Back Throw that KOs ridiculously early is not a "playstyle."

I'm not saying to take away its KO power completely, just to make it more reasonable. Ness would still play exactly the same and could still KO with his Back Throw. The only difference would be that now he also has a usable Down Air as an option which could open up more possibilities to add on to his already existing playstyle.

Mods should focus on good design as well as balance.

ZeusLink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
U wot m8?
3DS FC
1010-0010-0100

I never said anything like that, unless you were talking to the other guy.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Could reduce the BKB a bit and increase the KBG a bit. This would make it kill from the edge a bit later while still letting it kill from the middle of the stage around the same time. I still don't think it's the right way to go, but it's better than flat-out nerfing it. This might make it a bit stronger at killing near the center of the stage at high percentages, I suppose.

Derpnaster

Smash Journeyman
I see it like nerfong Link's any non jab move in KBG but making hookshot grab come out sooner. Not really a hard nerf, but is killing later worth it for one or two new options.

in Link's case it isn't. But its different for the other 55 fighters.

D

Deleted member

I stand by my opinion that design is actually an important thing for a mod. Being accustomed to the way something is does not mean that it was good to begin with.

Anyway, I think we should do what KingJigglypuff said and stick to discussing the characters in the OP that have already received changes. We're not really getting anywhere by suggesting changes to characters that haven't been touched yet.

Mewtwo I think is almost perfect now. His Jab is really solid and his F-tilt is actually somewhat decent. There two things I would like to be seen done to him though.

1) Make Up Tilt more consistent in terms of the angle at which it sends opponents. Also, have it match the animation better at the back end of the move. Right now the entire lower half of his tail just passes through the opponent. I absolutely cannot stand animations that are misleading.

2) Change how Down Smash functions. Reduce its KB, and in exchange, give it slightly faster startup and a hitbox that lingers (the later active frames being weaker than the earlier active frames.)

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
That is a reasonable perspective and I respect that. I do believe that if you try to actually change the design of characters you risk messing things up more than if you simply buff a few frames, increase their damage by 1-2%, etc.

From the OP: "My goal is to make every character viable in at least one way or another with no character being too bad to even bother with (Ex: Palutena, Zelda, Ganondorf, etc)"
"Lower tier characters will be subject to various buffs, while higher tier characters will be left alone for the most part (unless an official patch overnerfed something and/or if something about them is broken)."

Has an official patch overnerfed something? No, not at the moment. Is something broken about the top tiers? I don't think so. Cloud is really strong, but I wouldn't say he's broken. So, just buff characters that need some buff and leave the rest alone.

Note that this is more of a balance patch than a Project M-level mod. The goal isn't to revamp the game into something different, the goal is to keep the current game and make it a little better.

D

Deleted member

My goal isn't to revamp the game into something different either. I'm not suggesting engine changes or ledge mechanic changes or creating new animations or completely changing a character's playstyle (no, reducing Back Throw's KB doesn't count as changing Ness's playstyle). Comparing my suggestions to something as drastic as Project M is really misguided.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I'm not saying that you're advocating a Project M-level mod. Apologies if it seemed that way. I am saying that this is not such a mod, though. How drastically should this change the game? Much, much less than Brawl-, Brawl+, or any such mode. If the current game is a 5 (on a scale from one to 10) and Project M is a 9 and Brawl+ an 8 (or something like that), then this mod should maybe be 5.5 or 6 or something like that. It should feel like Smash Wii U still, but with some balance changes. Perhaps your changes would be a 7 (since you want to do things such as changing Mewtwo's down-Smash knockback, making it worse as a kill option, though it's not like it was a great kill option to begin with*)

*I could be wrong, I'm not a Mewtwo main. Mewtwo is also potentially high tier and might not be in need of buffs at all though.

I'm strongly against changes to fundamental game mechanics such as Rage. All I want is a Smash 4 where characters from lower tiers are a little better, but still essentially the same characters. I'm very much on the side of "let's not change too much, let's just tone the game a bit and make it better". The most recent Palutena changes seem pretty good, although I haven't tested them myself.

D

Deleted member

At the moment, Mewtwo's Down Smash functions as a slightly safer version of F-Smash, but overall weaker and with worse horizontal range. The move is already worse than other Down Smashes due to the fact that it has slow startup and only hits on one side. I want to further differentiate it from Forward Smash by making it quicker while giving it some kind of benefit over other character's Down Smashes by giving it a weak lingering hitbox (in exchange for the fact that it only hits to one side.) He won't miss the KB nerf because he has other, better ways to KO the opponent.

Eugene Wang

Smash Apprentice
I'm not saying that you're advocating a Project M-level mod. Apologies if it seemed that way. I am saying that this is not such a mod, though. How drastically should this change the game? Much, much less than Brawl-, Brawl+, or any such mode. If the current game is a 5 (on a scale from one to 10) and Project M is a 9 and Brawl+ an 8 (or something like that), then this mod should maybe be 5.5 or 6 or something like that. It should feel like Smash Wii U still, but with some balance changes. Perhaps your changes would be a 7 (since you want to do things such as changing Mewtwo's down-Smash knockback, making it worse as a kill option, though it's not like it was a great kill option to begin with*)

*I could be wrong, I'm not a Mewtwo main. Mewtwo is also potentially high tier and might not be in need of buffs at all though.

I'm strongly against changes to fundamental game mechanics such as Rage. All I want is a Smash 4 where characters from lower tiers are a little better, but still essentially the same characters. I'm very much on the side of "let's not change too much, let's just tone the game a bit and make it better". The most recent Palutena changes seem pretty good, although I haven't tested them myself.
Under that scale, Brawl Minus would be a 12 (Large hitstun changes, many characters modified into completely new ones, a much higher power level). Good to see it still breaks the limits. :)

But anyway, yeah. My personal direction for this mod would to have this mod be a glorified wishlist, something the balance team can refer to and make changes off of, complete with analysis of what the changes entail. It might be a long shot, but it's worth a try.

Last edited:

SageX3

Smash Cadet
At the moment, Mewtwo's Down Smash functions as a slightly safer version of F-Smash, but overall weaker and with worse horizontal range. The move is already worse than other Down Smashes due to the fact that it has slow startup and only hits on one side. I want to further differentiate it from Forward Smash by making it quicker while giving it some kind of benefit over other character's Down Smashes by giving it a weak lingering hitbox (in exchange for the fact that it only hits to one side.) He won't miss the KB nerf because he has other, better ways to KO the opponent.
If we're going to change anything for Mewtwo we should make confusion useful.

Derpnaster

Smash Journeyman
Spoiler
  • Weight: 98 -> 102
  • Run Initial Velocity: 1.5 -> 1.825
  • Walk Max Velocity: 1.1 -> 1.3
  • Air Speed: 1.1 -> 1.26
  • Dash Attack:
    • Main Hit BKB: 90 -> 80
    • Main Hit KBG: 42 -> 40
  • Side Tilt:
    • Hitbox 0 Damage: 7 -> 9
    • Hitbox 1/2 Damage: 7 -> 10
    • Hitboxes 1 and 2 increased by 0.25 units.
    • BKB: 8 -> 10
  • Up Tilt:
    • Damage: 6.3 -> 8
  • Neutral Air:
    • Sweetspot Damage: 8 -> 9.2
    • Sourspot Damage: 5 -> 5.9
  • Forward Air:
    • Sweetspot Effect: Normal -> Electric
  • Up Air:
    • Damage: 7 -> 8
    • BKB: 9 -> 10
    • KBG: 100 -> 90
  • Down Air:
    • Autocancel: Frame >37 -> Frame >30
  • Pummel:
    • Damage: 3.25 -> 3.5
  • Back Throw:
    • Throw Angle: 45 -> 40
    • Throw BKB: 60 -> 70
  • Megavitamin:
    • 1.2* FSM removed
    • Main Pill Damage: 5 -> 6
    • Stale Pill Damage: 4 -> 5
  • Super Jump Punch:
    • Sweetspot Damage: 12 -> 13
    • Sweetspot BKB: 30 -> 35
    • Sweetspot KBG: 100 -> 95
    • Sweetspot Effect: Normal -> Electric
  • Dr. Tornado:
    • Multihit Damage: 1.2 -> 1.3
    • Final Hit Damage: 3 -> 4.8
    • Final Hit BKB: 80 -> 50
    • Final Hit KBG: 130 -> 110
    • FAF: 75 -> 65
Have to say I like these changes, but I fail to see how this helps Doc with his true weakness, his recovery.
Currently it is unsafe for Doc to even recover because while he can get survivable horizontal distance, he's super gimpable and honestly the only reasons Doc ever makes it back are, he recovers just fast enough, the opponet wiffed the gimp attempt, or his god tier magnet hands snap to the ledge.

One suggestion would be two hit armor like Ryu has on Focus Attack, this way Doc is safer, but not immune to gimps.

Personally he doesn't need a longer recovery or more vertical height, but he needs to be safer getting back.

SageX3

Smash Cadet
Have to say I like these changes, but I fail to see how this helps Doc with his true weakness, his recovery.
Currently it is unsafe for Doc to even recover because while he can get survivable horizontal distance, he's super gimpable and honestly the only reasons Doc ever makes it back are, he recovers just fast enough, the opponet wiffed the gimp attempt, or his god tier magnet hands snap to the ledge.

One suggestion would be two hit armor like Ryu has on Focus Attack, this way Doc is safer, but not immune to gimps.

Personally he doesn't need a longer recovery or more vertical height, but he needs to be safer getting back.
You do know that that would make a majority of the cast not be able to edgeguard him. Not everyone has a multihitting move to edgeguard.

Gigan X3

Smash Apprentice
Gotta be careful with Mewtwo. He was really good before this patch and now he's even better. Buffing him any more might be unnecessary.

It's funny that we talk about nerfing top tiers and then jump to talk about buffing high tiers.

SageX3

Smash Cadet
Gotta be careful with Mewtwo. He was really good before this patch and now he's even better. Buffing him any more might be unnecessary.

It's funny that we talk about nerfing top tiers and then jump to talk about buffing high tiers.
Yea well, I just want to see a arguably useless move see some improvement.

D

Deleted member

I don't think most of you really understand my point about "good design." You are only thinking IN terms of pure buffs and pure nerfs, or who is high and who is low tier. It's all black and white to you.

We should also be looking at whether a move make sense visually, whether a move feel right, whether the move has any practical use compared to the rest of the character's moveset. I'm looking at whether characters have a mediocre move that could be made a bit more useful, or whether the character is too reliant on one powerful move. I'm looking at whether we can make compromises by make one move a little bit better and one move a little bit worse to create a more consistent moveset.

If we're going to change anything for Mewtwo we should make confusion useful.
It already is useful. It reflects projectiles, it helps with his recovery, you can surprise opponents by grabbing them in the air, all while having better range than his normal grab. I think it's fine.

Mewtwo's Up Tilt needs to be fixed. It doesn't look right, it doesn't feel right. It sends at inconsistent angles depending on where you hit with it and the hitbox doesn't match the animation. It's a mess.

The Down Smash change is meant to differentiate the move from Forward Smash and give it some kind of benefit to make up for the fact that it only hits to one side unlike most other Down Smashes. Mewtwo has enough KO moves and doesn't need yet another one.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I don't think most of you really understand my point about "good design." You are only thinking of terms of pure buffs and pure nerfs, or who is high and who is low tier. It's all black and white to you.

We should also be looking at whether the moves make sense visually, whether the moves feel right, whether the move has any practical use compared to the rest of their moveset. I am looking at whether characters have a mediocre move that could be made a bit more useful, or whether the character is too reliant on one powerful move. I'm looking at whether we can make compromises by make one move a little bit better and one move a little bit worse.
It sounds like you are looking to make a mod rather than a patch. This isn't it, though. This is just a band-aid, not a fix. The purpose of this patch isn't to rebalance characters and make their kits better, the point is to buff some weaker characters a bit.

They could buff weaker moves, sure. But that whole "make one move better, make another worse" is too much, I think.

Derpnaster

Smash Journeyman
You do know that that would make a majority of the cast not be able to edgeguard him. Not everyone has a multihitting move to edgeguard.
Perhaps not, but Doc Tornado is his horizontal recovery and has a decent amount of endlag after which it is still possible to gimp, it is now harder, but still doable for many, if not all of the cast.

Alternatively we could give him a few frames of heavy armor, never super, so that a strong hit can still gimp him.

D

Deleted member

It sounds like you are looking to make a mod rather than a patch. This isn't it, though. This is just a band-aid, not a fix. The purpose of this patch isn't to rebalance characters and make their kits better, the point is to buff some weaker characters a bit.

They could buff weaker moves, sure. But that whole "make one move better, make another worse" is too much, I think.
It's like talking to a wall...

You do realize that even the official patches have actually done more than just add a percent or two here and there, right? Charizard's Up Throw used to be pretty crappy and his Down Throw was the kill throw. Then they threw a wrench in that by making his Up Throw a powerful kill throw and his Down Throw a combo throw. Those are the types of changes I am aiming for. Do you believe the official changes to Charizard were "too much"?

I'm sorry that you have such a simplistic view of what "balance" is, but adding some percent and shaving off a few frames of end lag is not all there is to it. Why bother having a patch at all if we're not willing to put a lot of thought into the changes? The reason I am interested in this patch is because I like the idea of turning Smash 4 into the game I believe it could be, with characters who are not only unique but also lack any serious design flaws and feel good to play.

SageX3

Smash Cadet
It's fun watching two people argue over something so menial such as what balance means to them. I mean bottom line is we're still fixing characters, so whatever.

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
A Back Throw that KOs ridiculously early is not a "playstyle."
Every Smash has had characters where part of their neutral strategy is fishing for grabs at one point or another; I find it strange to declare that this isn't a playstyle, and thereby begin to make declarations on what's a legitimate playstyle and what is not.

Derpnaster

Smash Journeyman
I think was was meant is that just solely fishing for grabs into a certain throw is not a playstyle. Which can be right if that is all you do, however many of the grab heavy playstyles also have other aspects, such as with Sheik, her strong neutral presence is what facilitates her grab heavy game. However if all sheik players ever did was grab then it would very quickly become predictable and therefore easy to punish.

TL,DR. A single move does not make a play style, however that move's use and integration with other moves does.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789

Well his Tornado's FAF received 10 less frames of end-lag, so he can act out of it faster making it a slight buff to his recovery. :ohwell:

Personally after maining Doc since launch, I just want to see the 1st hit of his tornado connect better into the rest of the hits since occasionally the 1st hit will shoot the opponent upwards rather then sucking them in. So maybe a increase on the hitbox size, a change of the 1st hit's angle, or even windbox could do.

As for the rest of changes KingJiggly has made to Tornado, while I'm not a fan of the BKB & KBG nerfs on the last hit, it's atleast understandable since the move now does more damage while being less punishable.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I know for a fact that the things people will mostly complain about characters would be what the characters have/don't have that are overwhelmingly powerful or very underwhelming in ability. Almost everyone on the competitive boards will talk about Link's sluggish frame data and mobility, as well as Ganondorf's, and say that "if they were faster, they'd be better", and that's true. But here you guys are stating the opposite competitively when it comes to me suggesting things, because apparently because I'm messing with people elsewhere, it means it transfers to here.

But I'd like to point out something about the changes of Frame Data and some damages on Link's attacks, as well as new things for the characters. Link himself needs improvement, for he's still considered slightly bad, and it's all due to his mobility and his frame data, which are considered sluggish and slow. I've suggested Link's overall frame data to be slightly or moderately better, obviously, but nothing too overpowering. Of course, Link's Down Tilt having a meteor hitbox at the tip is meant to allow Link to have better safety and rely more on physical prowess than ranged attacks with some combos, and would add combo capability.

But of course, Back Throw being a reliable kill throw [because it's not even a combo throw whatsoever] instead of his Up Throw [which is not a reliable kill move at all, actually], is a decent thing. Link's Back Throw would kill at around somewhere such as 120% damage on the edge, and 140% center [that is theoretical, however, since I am unsure].

But his Down Aerial, his Down Aerial being reverted to what it was once back in Melee and Brawl is such a bad thing? Is it really a bad thing when his Down Aerial's meteor hitbox is unreliable and very rarely ever used? I'm serious about that last part, because 99% of the time you use Down Aerial with Link, you are going to hit the later hitboxes; it's rare you'll ever meteor an opponent with Down Aerial due to the unsafe nature of it. So instead, the reward for hitting the opponent with D-Air early is something that will even work on stage on opponents; an early hit kills very early. Remember, Down Aerial is still frame 14, which is very predictable, and the earliest hitboxes are 14-17 still, so it'll still be slightly rare to hit that early hitbox, and you're likely to hit the later hitboxes that will kill at higher damages.

Then of course, Boomerang. I've actually got to ask. How is it wrong to have it come out at Frame 19 instead of 27? I mean, it's not like it's going to be less predictable, but it'll still be faster regardless, and this would increase the Boomerang's reliability. Boomerang is a tool meant to be for combos, so having it turn to Frame 19 is something that helps its reliability.

Then you have Jigglypuff's changes, things that Puff needs if they want to be slightly relevant to the game. Because guess what, those changes would make her more balanced. People complained about the Up Throw change I suggested, but really, her change wouldn't be a buff at all, at least at higher damages. People don't realize that Jigglypuff's Up Throw is Weight Dependent, and a weight dependent throw is kind of hard to hit opponents with. Link and Ganondorf's own combo throws are also weight dependent, meaning they're going to have a tougher time combo'ing into their attacks at higher damages on opponents.

As well, Jigglypuff's Up Throw Change makes it to where it links up better with Rest at lower damages, but at higher, possibly medium, damages, her Up Throw will not be able to link into Rest, and it's even possible that the opponent can bring out an attack to punish, move out of the way or even air dodge before Puff can set up for a Rest. And add the weight dependency and you get her new Up Throw, a throw that needs to hit at lower damages.

But I'm not finished with Puff either, for now here comes the Rest attack, as well as the frame data stuff. Yeah, her frame data's better, so what? Admit it, her Smash Attacks are awful with frame data, and slight changes wouldn't be that bad. It's help her without breaking her in the slightest. Then of course, F-Air's change isn't bad, and it's not even overpowering, nor is the B-Air change, which only changes the start-up, not really the FAF per se, but just the start-up, still keeping it slightly slow.

But then here's Ryu, the character no one complains about because they complain about characters like Cloud and Rosalina more, trying to avert the attention from the overpowering things Ryu can have. No really, his Up Tilt is a nightmare on characters who fall fast or are big and can't get out of it, like Falco, Link, Dedede, and even Fox, Falcon and Bowser. That Up Tilt is too fast for its own good, so speed nerfs are certainly needed. Let me also add that Up Tilt leads into Ryu's True Shoryu, which I'll go on later with. Then we have Down Tilt, which kind of goes too fast as well [though I would be lenient on my suggestion and may refute it], but it's meant to link up into combos of course.

Now for Ryu's True Shoryuken. The attack is completely insane and too powerful. I've faced Ryu players who could kill my characters at around 70% to 80% damage, and it links up from Up Tilt, Down Throw and FADC. The damage and base knockback nerf would balance it out so the heavy True Shoryuken, which is always used by people since it's the most efficient, would kill not around 70%, but rather, it can kill at around 110% by my projections. Let's face it, no one uses the regular Shoryuken outside of recovery, and I didn't even nerf that.

Ganondorf's going to be for another time. This has already gotten way too long.

But I'll end with this.

There's a need for constructive criticism, not bashing and invalidating someone because they just mess with people in another topic. Secondly, this mod is meant to tighten the margin for character balance and viability, so really, what this mod can really do is make the more overpowering characters less overpowering and the underwhelming characters even better than they are. And of course, I have to say this before I post it.

There's such a thing called testing out the results of everything, there's also heavy research, so whenever a suggestion is there, it should be taken at heart and face value to be tested for its viability to see if it's overwhelming or makes the character horrible by comparison. Instead of bashing on my suggestions, let people test the suggestions out in a serious manner and give their critique and suggestions. Constructive criticism is meant to help people make better changes, and I've been looking at literally every post before the last suggestions, and I've taken them seriously and I've changed my most ridiculous posts to something that's better than before. But instead of you guys taking this the right way with offering some help and actual constructive criticism, some instead pull a hypocrite card [and I know who you are], and then some instead start bashing me and calling me a troll confirmed.

Really and truly, you guys are worse than me in the competitive impressions [which I have not been in since I've joined Smashcord], and that's saying something. By not doing the correct responses and offering constructive criticism, and even give legitimate opinions on why the change suggestions should instead be another suggestion, then going on to bash me on my suggestions, you have done nothing but stoop to my level, if not lower than it. So why is it that I'm the troll when you guys do the same thing that you say I do? That doesn't make any sense at all, does it?

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
You do realize that even the official patches have actually done more than just add a percent or two here and there, right?
Yes, and I'm saying leave that to the official patches. This fan-patch should just, imo, be small number-patches that help characters do a little better. Official patches may change more, but I'd prefer if this fan-patch were more conservative and kept the characters mostly as they are now, just a bit stronger for most of them.

The reason I am interested in this patch is because I like the idea of turning Smash 4 into the game I believe it could be, with characters who are not only unique but also lack any serious design flaws and feel good to play.
And the reason I'm interested in this patch is that I feel it's one of the few mods that will keep Smash 4 feeling like Smash 4 and not a fan mod, while still buffing some characters. I don't want Smash 5, I want this to be something like Smash 4, but with some buffs to weaker characters. I'm not saying it's wrong to want those changes, but I think the benefit of being cautious overweight the advantages of being rash. If you look at the original changes in the first post, I'd say most seem to conserve the characters as they are without changing too much (then again, I haven't actually tried them out yet, so this is just theory-crafting).

Part of the reason I want characters to be kept mostly the same is that I want to be able to still play local tournaments. Let's say I'd use the patch you suggest and I'm practising against a Ness. You've retuned him so his backthrow kills later. Perhaps that makes him better designed, but that won't help me when I face him in a tournament and his backthrow kills earlier than I'm used to. This is one of the main reasons why I don't think nerfs should be a thing. I've seen people argue that buffs would also mess with my knowledge, and that's true to some extent, but: #1: I'm more likely to face top tier characters and high tier characters than bottom tier characters and low tier characters in a tournament. #2: If I've been practising against a stronger version of, say, Link, and I face Link in a tournament, then I won't be at that big of a disadvantage. But if I had been practising against a weaker version of Cloud and then face Cloud in a tournament, I'd be at a significant disadvantage.

So far, most of the changes KingJigglypuff and his crew have chosen seem fairly reasonable. Some of the changes people have suggested in this thread are too much for me, though. In either case, KingJigglypuff asked us to temporarily cease making new suggestions and focus on criticising the changes he's already announced.

Top Bottom