• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Slowbro Style 01 [Gen 5 OU DW Tourney] ~ Grand Finals!

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed

ROUND 6 ENDS ON TUESDAY 3/22/11 @ 9:00pm EST!

I'm holding a new tournament series here in the PC of SWF, currently named Slowbro Style! I'm going to attempt to be as fair as possible with rules, not blacklist anyone except for extreme conditions, and most of all make sure we have a great time.

I plan to make this a series, with a new event starting somewhat close to the end of each prior one. The seeding for the first event will be random, and then every subsequent event will be seeded based on results so far. By the end of the this first event I'll have a point system in place to keep track of ranking points in the Slowbro Style Circuit!

General Rules

1. Generation 5
  2. OU Tier
  3. Dream World play (all DW abilities and moves are available)
  4. 1v1 6 pokemon each
  5. All sets are best of one
  6. Banned Pokemon: Arceus, Darkrai, Deoxys-A, Deoxys-N, Dialga, Giratina, Giratina-O, Groudon, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Lugia, Manaphy, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Shaymin-S, Zekrom
  7. Banned Abilities: Inconsistent
  8. Banned Items: Soul Dew
  9. Anything else is allowed such as Shadow Tag Pokemon, and the use of Drizzle + Swift Swim
  10. Clauses: Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, Disallow Spects, Species Clause, Self-KO Clause
  11. Disallow Spects clause will be turned off for the grand finals
  12. You or your opponent can choose to turn the Time Clause on, by default it will be set to off
  13. Team Preview is OFF
  14. Simulator: Pokemon Online
  15. Server: Your choice, Pokemon Online Server recommended - You might have to play in the Dream World Ubers Tier since these rules do not match the OU rules of either server. All players are still responsible for following the rules in this thread.
  16. You must save all logs
  17. Post in the thread after each match saying if you won or loss, no need to send logs to me initially. If there is a dispute then the logs will be sent to an intermediary.

Bracket Play

1. Each round will last for 5 days
  2. Use the PM system on SWF to contact your opponent if you can't through other means such as AIM. Send all messages to your opponent also to me as proof to show you reaching out to your opponent.
  3. In the event of a match not happening, the host will determine the winner based on proof of whose fault it was for the match not happening.
  4. This will be ran in a double elimination bracket created with Tio Tournament Organizer.

Event Points

The placements of every Slowbro Style event will receive points based on what placement they get. Points will add up with each event and will be used to seed future Slowbro Style (and perhaps other?) Poke Center tournaments for accurate seeding and brackets.

1st - 20
2nd - 15
3rd - 10
4th - 6
5th - 4
7th - 2
9th - 1

Bracket

Current Phase: Phase 7 - Losers Finals
Deadline: Tuesday 3/22/11 9:00pm EST

Contestant Details

vVv ChiboSempai
EST
Chibo

IceArrow
EST
IceArrow

vVv Rapture
EST
Rapture/CCM30

Wrath`
EST
Wrath

ss118
EST
ss118/articanus

The Real Gamer
EST
app1eseed

Moozle
CST
Moozle

Fuel-bee
EST
Fuel

BLM (black mage)
EST
B.L.M.

Wave⁂
CST
wave.dash/wavedash

Landry
EST
Landry

Keitaro
EST
Keitaro

Angel.M <3 C:
EST
Sapphire Birch

Chiko_
GMT+1
vanillatea, Chispas

Riddle
EST
Riddle

IceArrow

Smash Lord
So am I allowed to enter this.
If I can...

SWF Username: IceArrow
Time Zone: EST
Pokemon Online Username: IceArrow

Wrath`

Smash Master
Hate for Gate's tournament?

anyway
SWF Name: Wrath`
PO Name: Wrath
Time Zone: EST
AIM(Just in case): Akward seabass

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
It's just not my kind of event, plus I would love some more standard ou tourneys going around
having only one option at a time is lame, in case people don't play that metagame its good to have a "standard" option as well

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Sign me up as a substitute.

SWF Username: Wave⁂
Time Zone: CST
Pokemon Online Username: wave.dash or wavedash

ss118

Smash Master
Are we playing with Aldaron's proposal active, since at smogon it was voted to be at least attempted.

tl;dr, Swift Swim + Drizzle can't be used on the same team.

Also, how much do you like digimon, Chibo? I found Digimon world dawn and I've been juddling it with other games as well. =3

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
No, I'm not going to go with Aldaron's proposal. That's too radical of a change for testing to be used in a tournament. All matches are going to be on the PO server anyway so the proposal won't be switched. Also honestly imo it's not things like swift swim that are too widely used or "broken." To me hydration is worse, or just the fact that it's permanent weather as it is. The main difference between rain and sun compared to sandstorm and hail before is that it's actually crippling to certain types (how fire power is reduced in rain, etc). If anything were to be done about weather it should be to take out Drizzle and Drought imo, but even having them is not too bad. It's just a usage issue to me imo, it's too centralizing.

I like digimon a pretty good amount. The name Chibo actually didn't come from Chibomon at all, it's just that when I found out there was a chibomon while rewatching season 2 at some point I thought it was really cool that there was and started using it for my avatar in things. I like the show a lot more than the games, season 4 was absolute garbage though. Never got too into the games though. I own Digimon World DS but didnt get too too far into it. Pokemon games just completely outclass them in like every way.

ss118

Smash Master
The shows were good, but I found the games to be completely underrated.

Obviously they aren't as good as pokemon. dealwithit.gif, but to say they are completely outclassed(and this is someone who loves pokemon) is iffy. If you ever get farther in digimon world dawn/ dusk(whichever one you own), I'll personally play you on a competitive level.

Also we should just ban all permanent weather. <3

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
If this is on the PO server then can I propose to ban the use of Shadow Tag Shanderra?

I've been used to playing without it around for a while. Idk about everyone else.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I haven't played dawn dusk, I just have the original digimon world ds. I didn't even know there was competitive play really to it, perhaps dawn/dusk changed a lot, I'll have to check it out.

Shadow Tag Shanderra isn't banned, there are a lot of counters to it actually. However I personally wouldn't be against shadow tag being banned.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Idk I could take or leave Shandera. A lot of people would agree with you, but that doesn't mean its "undeniable." I also think its best to go along with Smogon's rules since they are the generally accepted standard.

Not that I'm joining anyway.

ss118

Smash Master
I agree. Shadow Tag should be banned so that I can use Mismagius' perish trapping abilities to the fullest without everything running shed shell.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Hate for Gate's tournament?
Sure is. :208:

But actually I was curious to see how an OU tourney would pan out now that most of the PC is actually good at the format (and those that aren't good can just copy stuff from Ulti's thread). I don't agree with him starting signups for it the day after I started signups for my tourney since it basically does seem like he's salty about the rules and he's doing this to try to give me the finger, but whatever.

It actually is on the PO server... Unless that has recently been changed.
It hasn't.

You really shouldn't lock people into using one specific server. It just makes it harder when it comes to things like lag or what's banned.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Does anyone know where I can find all the updated rules for the PO server? I can't find anywhere on their site that says things like Shadow Tag being banned or Inconsistent (which I know is)

I normally like to follow Smogon, but to driz+swift swim in testing is just too different to be used in this since this is a mini tourney, not friendlies

Riddle

Smash Lord
Okay then, if youre completely opposed to banning of swift swim and drizzle together, then just use smogon's ruleset WITHOUT that particular ban. No need to completely switch rulesets, just slightly modify it.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Oh sure, Chibo. Just jump in and make a tournament. I wasn't totally next to host a tournament after Gates. Totally.

Next time after you complain about a certain rule on a tournament go and actually read the stickied tournament planning thread being doing **** like this again.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Oh sure, Chibo. Just jump in and make a tournament. I wasn't totally next to host a tournament after Gates. Totally.

Next time after you complain about a certain rule on a tournament go and actually read the stickied tournament planning thread being doing **** like this again.
Ummm... Anyone is allowed to hold any tournaments whenever. Why don't you hold yours sooner?
This doesn't impend on your tournament in anyway

Okay then, if youre completely opposed to banning of swift swim and drizzle together, then just use smogon's ruleset WITHOUT that particular ban. No need to completely switch rulesets, just slightly modify it.
What other differences are there from Smogon? Just the ban list right? Last time I suggested using smogon rules here at the PC everyone went nuts lol

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Chibo said:
Ummm... Anyone is allowed to hold any tournaments whenever. Why don't you hold yours sooner?
Because if you actually followed through in the past tournaments, whenever two tournaments are held, activity always ****s up. But whatever. You're all important and stuff and I'm not so I can't enforce you read the Tournament Discussions thread anyway.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
We have this for a reason.

You have to put yourself on the list in advance and wait so you can host your tourney. This is standard and enforceable, you cannot skip the queue. We do this so the community doesn't have an overload on tournaments, so respect that decision.

Close this or we're going to have to get another mod to close it for you.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Tery, stop this nonsense please, and I've read the tourney discussion obviously.

Gates tournament has TWO WEEK deadlines where users are expected to play a single set every 2 weeks. A set takes what, 20 minutes? Are you saying that if people are being forced (mind you they are entering on their own) to play more than that, everything will fall apart?
If people are overworked, then they won't enter. If they don't play their match, they lose. Simple as that. You guys are really over exaggerating the "activity problem" here. Do you know how many mafia games are simultaneously ran on this site? It's fine.

We have this for a reason.

You have to put yourself on the list in advance and wait so you can host your tourney. This is standard and enforceable, you cannot skip the queue. We do this so the community doesn't have an overload on tournaments, so respect that decision.

Close this or we're going to have to get another mod to close it for you.
That's not a queue. It says nothing about signing up to get your tournament on the list. Playing only one tournament at a time is ridiculous. There is no rule that there can't be more than tournament at a time also, and said rule certainly can not be made by people who aren't mods of the PC. Queue systems such as the one in the dgames section are well thought out, ran through the dgames mods, and are effective. All that thread is a list of has happened, and will probably happen soon.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
A queue is how we run things around here. You being a mod gives you no more power over it than anyone else. It is stickied, therefore official. Post this tourney in the thread, you'll go on the list, and you wait.

There's already two tournies going on right now, and Nattorei ending would mean Tery's gets started. When Ubers ends, then you can host yours. We can certainly handle two at a time as long as the pacing for each is right, but we're not doing three.

That's how it works here, deal with it.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
The "rules" in that thread don't even say how many can run concurrently or that you have to sing up to host. There are no rules set from mods or anything about only one tourney at a time. And the nine people that have signed up for this so far don't seem to care.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Chibo said:
Tery, stop this nonsense please, and I've read the tourney discussion obviously.

Gates tournament has TWO WEEK deadlines where users are expected to play a single set every 2 weeks. A set takes what, 20 minutes? Are you saying that if people are being forced (mind you they are entering on their own) to play more than that, everything will fall apart?
If people are overworked, then they won't enter. If they don't play their match, they lose. Simple as that. You guys are really over exaggerating the "activity problem" here. Do you know how many mafia games are simultaneously ran on this site? It's fine.
If you actually read my posts, you'd understand the last time we had two tournaments with whatever the **** rules they ran, the UU tournament never finished and the other half-disappeared. We run tournaments in a single line to ensure everything runs smoothly and can work in the interest of the community.

Mafia is different. Mafia has combinations of active Moderators with their community. While the PokeCenter doesn't necessarily have active Moderators--which isn't even a problem--they have never really worked with us on standards for a ruleset of the like. Why else would I take the time to create a Tournament Discussion thread?

So because of our interest in fairness to the community of the PokeCenter, we cannot make or uphold a rule about allowing commoners such as ourselves the right to host a Pokemon tournament in successive fashion in order to make everything fair. Bull****.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
It's not one at a time, I'd say two at a time is fine as long as one of them starts more than half way through the other (as Ubers did with Nattorei, and that's working out fine).

It's not as much as you're trying to break the tourney limit, it's that you bypassed the queue. Just wait another month or so and you can host this.

You're being unfair to Tery, you're pushing his tourney onto the backburner and hosting your tourney with no warning.

I should be the absolute LAST person to have to tell you this, but: stop being selfish.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
This has nothing to do with Tery's tournament at all. This is not held in conjunction with it in any way. If anyone falls inactive in either one, the rules will deal with it as so. He can continue to run his when he planned to or sooner or later, up to him.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
The very least you could've done after supposedly reading the Tournament Discussion thread was post saying, "I don't lake Gates' rules. Sorry Tery but I'mma host a tournament now. Suck it."

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
There is a queue.

The queue is stickied.

The queue is official.

You cannot host a tournament unless you put yourself in the queue and wait your turn.

We don't have a punishment for breaking the queue beyond locking the thread, but you're REALLY making me want to have that worked out.

Just. Stop. And. Wait. Your. Turn. You're supposed to be a role model, so stop acting so childish.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
If you guys have a problem, please bring it up with forum support, I don't want this discussion flooding this thread when I'm trying to do signups atm.
Signups are continuing

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Hey Chibo you should probably re-read the OP of the tourney discussion thread I think you missed something.

ss118

Smash Master
Personally all I see more tournies doing is sparking more interest in the forum.

Actually, I wouldn't be too against getting a sub-forum specifically for tournaments. It can help so we can specifically see when new rounds start(like how smogon does it), and it might attract people who just glance at the new sub-forum and think "hey, I didn't know we had that. Sounds like fun!"

^Talking about smashers, fyi.

I actually don't agree with Chibo doing this, but at the same time I won't condemn him. Technically he's in the right, and if it was truly by accident what can we do? What can we do if it isn't? We have too many dramas as-is...

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Except for the part where Chibo claimed to have read through the Tournament Discussions thread.

Whatever. Again, the least you could've done was post, "I don't lake Gates' rules. Sorry Tery but I'mma host a tournament now. Suck it."

Top Bottom