• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Slo-Mo Sweetspotted moves for Zelda?

mad_max

Smash Cadet
Check out this video

You can see what I'm talking about when she sweetspots her aerials at 0:18, 0:53, 1:53, and several other places that I'm too lazy to look for. It looks sorta like the game goes into slow motion; either that or her fairs and bairs have a crap load of lag in the middle of the move. What do you guys think?

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
The kicks in particular have a lot of hit lag, possibly as a balancing measure. Ike's fsmash in that same video doesn't have as much hitlag, even though it's more damaging and has about the same amount of KO power as the kicks do.

Also, the targets aren't completely devoid of movement during the hit lag like the attacker is. When getting hit by the kicks in that video, Ike was leaning backwards as if hit by a bullet or a stab wound.

Luthien

Smash Ace
I like the lag. During the short time the video is in sync, Ike's 'oof' right before flying offscreen seemed a lot like 's***!' to me. It's like they've given the victim time to realise that they've been hit, kind of like the Looney Tunes 'run-off-a-cliff-look-down-then-let-gravity-kick-in' effect.

Drake3

Smash Ace
I personally enjoyed the headshot she performed on Mario. The time-freeze was merely icing on the cake.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Zelda's aerials hit so hard, they actually blast the target into the future. The rest of space-time needs a second to catch up.

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
Alot of moves with a specific sweetspot are like that now. The knee (falcon) and charge shot (samus) are among them. (though the shot doesn't actually have a sweet spot on it.) I suppose its to give people a chance to DI. Its also kinda satisfying, because you know you landed a big hit when it happens.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
agreed... but what is hilarious is if you grab a stopwatch item and do a lightning kick... after you are done with the move, the enemy stays in the air for a couple full seconds before being launched away... it's hilarious

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Those are extra DI frames, hitlag.

It looks plain awesome when you land them while you have Shadow out as your AT, and he's using Chaos Control. If you hit with sweetspot they stay there fore a good 2-3 seconds, meanwhile you are making your way to the next slowed down victim. :D

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
It turns out, this isn't so hilarious when you sweetspot against someone's shield. They can actually move before you even come out of the hitlag, and it's especially bad then they use a "perfect shield" against it.

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
It turns out, this isn't so hilarious when you sweetspot against someone's shield. They can actually move before you even come out of the hitlag, and it's especially bad then they use a "perfect shield" against it.
EW, really? that's ********. Did anything happen when you SS'd against a shield in melee? Cause I didn't even know it was possible to sweetspot against a shield.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
In Melee, sweetspotting a shield just resulted in hitlag consistent with a sweestpot, and then shield stun. It feels just like getting hit with any other move that deals 20% damage with that kind of knockback. If you weakspotted a shield, the effect was obviously different, and weaker.

In Brawl though, hitlag on a shield and hitlag on a full-on hit are not the same. Still being stuck in the hitlag of a sweetspotted kick while the foe who shielded it was jumping towards me was one of the weirdest things I beheld when I was playing last Tuesday.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ultra long hitlag ftw. It makes an attack ever so much more satisfying.

Someone mentioned you could probably Smash DI more easily...while that is true, would it really make any difference?

NeoZ

Smash Ace
In comparison to Melee Fair and Bair actually suck now(DI is easy with that hitlag and it makes them survive until percentages over 100); Zelda has better options, like uair, uptilt, ftilt and fsmash.
What lightning kicks actually do now is set people up for din's fire edguarding.
@ A2ZOMG: I don't really know how smash DI could actually help you survive, but regular DI(just hold a direction) will save you almost every time.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
In case anyone had doubts about how disastrous the major hitlag can be, one of DarkMusician's videos already proves it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxvve8y7erg - At 3:36, the Bair is Perfect Shielded by Mario, and he was able to attack her before Zelda even came out of the hitlag, even though he delayed a little on this instance. Long story short, perfect shielding the kicks is the "perfect" way to counter them, which leaves Zelda at a hefty frame disadvantage.

I also had a lovely game with Smash Balls where I decided to kick the Smash Ball to break it, but the hit lag allowed DK to Fair me in the face before I could move away or use it. x.x

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
I love moves like Zelda's B-air, F-air, and D-air. When me and a couple other people were playing it for the first time, we were surprised by the massive amount of hit lag. The Zelda player would always taunt "I just paused the game on you!" or something like that. To me, moves with massive hit lag means the game is trying to say something along the lines of, "HA! HA! You just got so owned that I'm going to pause the game a little just to rub it in!"

Codyy

Smash Rookie
I love the effect it has. Generally people look at the player and go "Wtf! BBQ!" Or something along those lines that's just so soothing and satisfying it's almost sickening.

Top Bottom