• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sleeper picks that actually have a chance of getting in?

Should I feel bad maining Young Link for the mental and emotional pain I cause my opponents

• Yes you monster

• Yes in red

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ir0n Ch3f

Smash Rookie
After seeing Joker and really giving it some thought, it looks like nothing is off the table for dlc. I must confess, I had never heard of Persona before the Joker announcement.

So basically, who do you think is a pick for one of the fighters that could catch a lot of people by surprise, like Piranha Plant? They don't have to be exclusively third party either, but third party characters would generally be the most surprising and probably not repped in the series yet.

Personally, and I know I've made a few comments on other threads about this, I really think Super Monkey Ball has a chance here. Aiai is recognizable, has a lot of potential for moves given the minigames in the series, and is actually a Sega character that has made it front and center on Sega Superstars, Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing, etc. I'm talking about Aiai circa Super Monkey Ball 2 of course, not the possessed version from newer games *shivers*

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
After seeing Joker and really giving it some thought, it looks like nothing is off the table for dlc. I must confess, I had never heard of Persona before the Joker announcement.

So basically, who do you think is a pick for one of the fighters that could catch a lot of people by surprise, like Piranha Plant? They don't have to be exclusively third party either, but third party characters would generally be the most surprising and probably not repped in the series yet.

Personally, and I know I've made a few comments on other threads about this, I really think Super Monkey Ball has a chance here. Aiai is recognizable, has a lot of potential for moves given the minigames in the series, and is actually a Sega character that has made it front and center on Sega Superstars, Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing, etc. I'm talking about Aiai circa Super Monkey Ball 2 of course, not the possessed version from newer games *shivers*
I would absolutely be elated if Aiai got in, he's one of my pipe-dream characters so I hope you're right haha. Yeah he better have the Gamecube design, Sakurai has been good so far with choosing the best of each character design so far (see Simon Belmont and Pacman).

I feel like Phoenix Wright is extremely likely. The series is loyal to Nintendo systems, Capcom have been generous with content in the game and he is yet to be a spirit (not that I think spirits deconfirm but it make him safe either way).

I also don't hear people talk about Rayman much, and considering how close Ubisoft and Nintendo are, I'd be surprised if he didn't make it in the game eventually.

Lastly, Elma. No Xenoblade X music yet, I can imagine that game being ported to Switch alongside her reveal. She's the most likely first party in my opinion.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Lycanroc is this for me. I sincerely believe that if we get another Pokemon, it will most likely be him. That being said, I don't really know how great the chances of another Pokemon are (I'd be probably say somewhere between 25%-30% if I was being generous).

I think a lot of people sleep on him simply out of belief that Pokemon won't be looked at again or the idea that a Gen 8 Pokemon must happen (despite Sakurai's general avoidance of adding characters until they're finalized).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Poochy is one I believe may make it in. Most people don't expect him to show up, simply because Yoshi never had any additional character representatives in Smash since the start. Yet it's hard to deny his increased prominence as a secondary character in the recent successful Yoshi games.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
The girl from Fitness Boxing as another surprise/joke character who plays like a :ultlittlemac::ultwiifittrainer:hybrid.

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I think a sleeper pick that would have a chance getting in is, for Pokemon rep wise a non Gen 8 Pokemon. Especially notable ones from non-Gen 8 who are in Pokeballs already. Since I have a feeling there is a chance the Pokeball Pokemon = deconfirmed for DLC rule might get broken.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Since I have a feeling there is a chance the Pokeball Pokemon = deconfirmed for DLC rule might get broken.
Eevee is definitely a sleeper pick for reasons like being stuck in a Poke Ball.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Monster Hunter is a character that everyone is sleeping on. Not only do we have Rathalos in the game already, but Monster Hunter as a series is HUGE for both Capcom and Nintendo.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Phoenix Wright is a pick that literally everyone and a half is sleeping on, honestly. If we don't get the Monster Hunter or something, Phoenix just seems like the next big pick in line to me. He's a big deal for Capcom and Nintendo, a character that was, in my opinion, a DS icon. MvC has shown that he can have a ridiculously fun move set, too, and I'm sure Sakurai could come up with something wild for him.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Rayman, Doom Slayer, Dragonborn, Scorpion, basically anything that's a western made 3rd Party. I feel like it's only a matter of time before one of those get in but most people seem to think that they won't get in BECAUSE they're western which is just closed minded if you ask me.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Rayman, Doom Slayer, Dragonborn, Scorpion, basically anything that's a western made 3rd Party. I feel like it's only a matter of time before one of those get in but most people seem to think that they won't get in BECAUSE they're western which is just closed minded if you ask me.
I will never understand the western argument.
"Sakurai-san we want you to add the biggest video game of all time Minecraft to Smash"
"Yes let me see... hmmm.. nope sorry it's made by gaijin so I won't add it"

D

Deleted member

Of all the possible Bandai-Namco franchises that could have a character in the Fighter Pass, I'm surprised that Soulcalibur doesn't get mentioned often, most specifically Nightmare. In fact, Nightmare will probably be the only DLC fighter that is the main antagonist of his series, which already makes him stand out compared to all the other possible DLC fighters that are very likely protagonists from their games.

BZocky

Smash Ace
Banjo-Kazooie used to be a sleeper pick and is technically still a sleeper pick unless you actually ride the monsoon of Smash speculation. With their legacy, Microsoft and Nintendo closer than ever and convincing evidence stacking up in their favor I wouldn't be surprised to see them join the fight soon.
If you want a pick that is both a sleeper pick to normal people and the wider speculation community, there's Rash from Battletoads for similar reasons to those stated above.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Any SNK character, specifically Terry Bogard since he's practically the face of the company. I talked about the chances of it happening in this really long post. In a nutshell, I think people are really sleeping on the company's chances considering:
  • The legacy of the NEO GEO, which can be seen through its major contributions to the arcade scene as well as the high amount of NEO GEO games sold on the Switch.
  • SNK going back to their roots of making great fighting games in recent years as shown through KoF XIV and Samurai Shodown.
  • SNK's main FG competition (Tekken & Mortal Kombat) seeming less likely to appear in Smash.
  • SNK being very open with their IPs appearing in crossovers (Geese in Tekken 7, Mai in DoA 5+6, and Terry in EX Fighting Layer to name a few).
  • Increasing relations with Nintendo recently (including a proposed offer to make SNK Heroines a Switch exclusive).
  • SNK being insanely popular in places like Latin America.
  • Other reasons described in the linked post.

Ir0n Ch3f

Smash Rookie
I would absolutely be elated if Aiai got in, he's one of my pipe-dream characters so I hope you're right haha. Yeah he better have the Gamecube design, Sakurai has been good so far with choosing the best of each character design so far (see Simon Belmont and Pacman).

I feel like Phoenix Wright is extremely likely. The series is loyal to Nintendo systems, Capcom have been generous with content in the game and he is yet to be a spirit (not that I think spirits deconfirm but it make him safe either way).

I also don't hear people talk about Rayman much, and considering how close Ubisoft and Nintendo are, I'd be surprised if he didn't make it in the game eventually.

Lastly, Elma. No Xenoblade X music yet, I can imagine that game being ported to Switch alongside her reveal. She's the most likely first party in my opinion.
Phoenix Wright would be lovely, theres four spots left so I feel like a lot of people will get their wish too. Like if some people are put out by whoever is second, there's still hope.

StormC

Smash Hero
Most of those characters either bombed in Japan or were straight up banned (Scorpion).

I think Crash or Banjo will be the one to break the western barrier.

Last edited:

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
Everyone keeps saying Rayman would be the first Ubisoft character - which I understand completely, as Rayman’s great - almost everyone I see seems to be sleeping on Ezio from Assassin’s Creed.

Which is really weird when you consider it’s one of the best selling video game franchises of all time...

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Everyone keeps saying Rayman would be the first Ubisoft character - which I understand completely, as Rayman’s great - almost everyone I see seems to be sleeping on Ezio from Assassin’s Creed.

Which is really weird when you consider it’s one of the best selling video game franchises of all time...
That's cause Rayman is the most demanded ubisoft rep with ezio having almost none. Wouldn't really make sense to put him in over Rayman

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I don't think there are any more Nintendo Characters besides Plant coming to DLC, but if there does end up being a new Nintendo character, I think it could be Euden from Dragalia Lost. He could be added to 1: Represent a new IP for the sake of repping a new IP, 2: Promote said new IP, and 3: Represent Nintendo's mobile games.

MrBaconJam

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrBaconJam64
Switch FC
SW-0527-7451-6902
SNK being very open with their IPs appearing in crossovers (Geese in Tekken 7, Mai in DoA 5+6, and Terry in EX Fighting Layer to name a few).
Not only is Mai coming back to DOA6, but there's also another KOF character coming with her, so SNK's crossover streak is still going on.

Honestly, I'm expecting an SNK rep to show up in the Pass, even if the chances of one getting in seem very slim.

Last edited:

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
Hmm.. My out of left field wtf pick would be Vault Boy that uses explosives, energy weapons, and perks from the Fallout games.

-Bethesda rep (arguably the biggest Western 3rd party supporter of Nintendo)
-Sakurai has streamed Fallout 4 before and really likes the series
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/03/10/sakurai-live-stream-recap/

-Aesthetic fits in with Nintendo characters
-Fairly iconic

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Heihachi from Tekken.

-Namco Bandai has a healthy relationship with Smash Bros. and Nintendo (as a whole), to say the least.

-He had a Mii costume in Smash 4 that is mysteriously absent for some reason.

-Tekken is as popular/influential to the 3D genre of fighters as Street Fighter is to the 2D genre.

-It'd be a nice tribute since his Japanese VA passed away.

-He was already playable in a different platform fighting game; his moveset can definitely work in Smash as well.

-The man has already crossed paths with Ryu and Ken, a Final Fantasy character, a Metal Gear character, and Pacman. He's also already been in the same game as Link. Aside from that, he fights ninjas, robot girls, kangaroos, dinosaurs, etc. on the regular; he'd fit right in with Smash Bros.

-He was considered by Sakurai before. Whether he proved difficult to implement at the time or not, this is a different game and characters who were previously considered too hard to implement are now playable (see: Ridley, e.g.).

All of this and more and yet there's barely any hype for this man. His inclusion is very probable, IMO. If not this season pass, then maybe during a second one.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Monster Hunter is a character that everyone is sleeping on. Not only do we have Rathalos in the game already, but Monster Hunter as a series is HUGE for both Capcom and Nintendo.
Sleeper? He seems prominently in speculation scene from my viewings.

GreatKnightEcho

Smash Rookie
I personally have my hopes up for Taranza from Kirby Triple Deluxe.

-He has a unique moveset.
-He's not the most popular Kirby villain, but he's still fairly well-liked by the community.
-He's also the only notable Kirby character who doesn't have a Spirit yet.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Sleeper? He seems prominently in speculation scene from my viewings.
Not in the general Smash fanbase, most people are talking about Dante, Leon, and Phoenix Wright much more than Monster Hunter despite it being more likely.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Not in the general Smash fanbase, most people are talking about Dante, Leon, and Phoenix Wright much more than Monster Hunter despite it being more likely.
Youtube the speculation scene

UserKev

Smash Champion
Scorpion is slept on, it actually help his case. He could really show up.

Top Bottom