• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SitC3 -- CANCELLED!!

Dogosse Gier

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to shoot for the 14th. However, this is not for sure. I will try to accommodate as many people as possible, but keep in mind that we can't automatically get any weekend we want. All the tournaments I've helped plan in the past have been 2 day events and that seems to work very well. So does like 5 or 6 pm on the friday beforehand until early afternoon on sat sound good?

takieddine

Smash Master
I say 14th also, Screw teko, because i was gonna go there for smash anyways :p

edit: so its decided that its gonna be at the location of SitC:2? I really liked that place, nice atmosphere(big *** projector), cheap *** food, and housing.

pockyD

Smash Legend
saturday -> sunday is exponentially better than friday -> saturday if you can book it, especially when you consider that everyone not in the pittsburgh high school system (lol) probably has class on the friday beforehand and will have trouble getting there even from pittsburgh, not to mention those from larger distances

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
Hey just throwing out a name idea for this tournament, how does "Pittsburgh Tournament! Come Here and Steal All Our Moneys Cause We Suck! Right?"

takieddine

Smash Master
How about the same structure as the first SitC? Friendlies all night then singles the next day?

And to make sure no one chickens out, you can make people pay the night prior to the singles tournament.

Dogosse Gier

Smash Journeyman
I like the way you think, Taki. But we can't have crews, singles, AND doubles all on Sunday... if we're getting there on Saturday afternoon we have to do a couple tournaments then. Plus people will be all tired and stuff on Sunday. The crew battle will have to take place throughout the entire event.
How about this structure: A few TVs devoted to crew battles the entire time, doubles Saturday evening, singles Sunday morning. But there are two main problems with this: 1. Everyone participating in a crew battle will have to be there for the entire thing and 2. if we don't finish the crew battle quickly it will cut into singles. There is no way we can do 3 days. I can try to see if we can stay late on Sunday until like 4 or 5 so it will be a 24 hour long event. If we do that, we'll definitely have time for everything.

Thoughts?

pockyD

Smash Legend
i don't think you can really afford to stretch out crews over a whole weekend...

for each crew battle that's going on, that's 8-10 people that will be unavailable to play their singles/doubles matches, which will just slow all that stuff down

how long does this animefest last? is there any way we can just run crews saturday night

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
I like the idea of ppl paying saturday and having the singles on sunday. I say that ppl during friendlies should organize their own crew stuff if they want(like MM's are) and then you'll have good to hold doubles(0r Vice verca.) I dont think that scheduled doubles, crews and singles will be effecient.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
I think it should go doubles on saturday afternoon, singles that night, and then crews on sunday.

Tim, i dont believe that tekkoshcon will be going all day till late at night on saturday. Or it will, but there wont be anything worth going to. If you want i can drive you from tekkoshcon to SitC. Let me know what you think. You've been to tekkoshcon before (i believe) so you know the schedule better than i do.

takieddine

Smash Master
Lets work this out, like computer scientists do :D.

How about just doing whatever has the highest priority the soonest?

I think that would mean singles would be first.

Edit: i just realized i have a GIF program, so watch out for my amazing gif sigs..

Dogosse Gier

Smash Journeyman
The reason we don't do singles first is that not everybody will be there saturday afternoon. OK, proposed schedule (remember, I still have to check all this with the venue owner):

4PM Saturday: Show up, play friendlies. Registration for singles & doubles starts.
10PM/whenever everybody's ready Saturday: Doubles tournament.
Whenever doubles is over o'clock: Friendlies.
5AM Sunday/whenever: Singles.
Whenever singles is over o'clock: Friendlies.

Crew battles are private and can occur whenever you want, just preferably not during anything so we can utilize all the TVs for the tournament at hand. I scheduled Singles for 5AM because on a normal sleep cycle, your brain tells your body to wake up and start the new day around 4-5AM. So no matter how tired you are, a combination of biology and red bull will get you awake for singles. However, if everybody wants to have it the other way around, we can do that too. I'm just trying to accommodate those who will be attending Tekkoshocon and still want to enter singles.

Registration for stuff will be over right before the tournament starts. No cutoff times besides the actual tournament beginning. I think I'm capable of using my calculator to pick a random seed and doing the brackets while the first round is going on. Unless somebody else wants to do the brackets. I want to include as many people in the organization/planning as possible so it feels more like a community thing.

pockyD

Smash Legend
Lets work this out, like computer scientists do :D.

How about just doing whatever has the highest priority the soonest?

I think that would mean singles would be first.

Edit: i just realized i have a GIF program, so watch out for my amazing gif sigs..
wrong; the highest priority should get the BEST time slot, not the earliest =)

the thought of singles at 5 AM makes my head hurt lol

if we can get the 31st can we just run the bulk of everything on saturday at human times (like in the afternoon-early evening) and leave twilight gaming for friendlies? I'm honestly not sure i'd want to invest in a tournament at a time when my mental clarity is likely completely gone (5 a.m. after playing smash for 12 hours and not sleeping)

Dogosse Gier

Smash Journeyman
I scheduled Singles for 5AM because on a normal sleep cycle, your brain tells your body to wake up and start the new day around 4-5AM. So no matter how tired you are, a combination of biology and red bull will get you awake for singles.
at human hours
Yeah well. . . alright. We'll just do doubles first, then singles, then smashfest until you leave.

Dogosse Gier

Smash Journeyman
No idea about Ohio. It's tough to advertise without spamming. Uh, anybody want to buy a tournament ad? </joking> Unless we just start randomly posting, I don't see how we'll get the word out.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
The reason we don't do singles first is that not everybody will be there saturday afternoon. OK, proposed schedule (remember, I still have to check all this with the venue owner):

4PM Saturday: Show up, play friendlies. Registration for singles & doubles starts.
10PM/whenever everybody's ready Saturday: Doubles tournament.
Whenever doubles is over o'clock: Friendlies.
5AM Sunday/whenever: Singles.
Whenever singles is over o'clock: Friendlies.

Crew battles are private and can occur whenever you want, just preferably not during anything so we can utilize all the TVs for the tournament at hand. I scheduled Singles for 5AM because on a normal sleep cycle, your brain tells your body to wake up and start the new day around 4-5AM. So no matter how tired you are, a combination of biology and red bull will get you awake for singles. However, if everybody wants to have it the other way around, we can do that too. I'm just trying to accommodate those who will be attending Tekkoshocon and still want to enter singles.

Registration for stuff will be over right before the tournament starts. No cutoff times besides the actual tournament beginning. I think I'm capable of using my calculator to pick a random seed and doing the brackets while the first round is going on. Unless somebody else wants to do the brackets. I want to include as many people in the organization/planning as possible so it feels more like a community thing.
that list of estimate times seems like the most solid thing we have, and I recommend updating the with it and making smaller changes etc later on. Right now for advertisement purposes I update first post and change the title to like SitC: Mini or something.

everyone else put the link to the thread in ur sigs and post somewhere, put the date in the sig too. We should try not to spam too much but hey we do want ppl to come to this so lets keep it to a minimum.;)

Dogosse Gier

Smash Journeyman
OK, new proposed schedule:

+ 4PM: Get there. Friendlies.
+ 6PM: Doubles.
+ 10PM: Singles.
+ Leave early afternoon Sunday.
+ Crew battles are private and can occur anytime. However it would be best to hold them after singles is over so full utilization of TVs is possible.

I will be getting there around 3ish to set up. If you're early, that's cool. Just know if you want to smash I won't put up much of a fight.

Also we need to think of a name and decide on entry fees. How does $15 for singles, $20 for doubles, $whatever for crews sound?

Note to people riding the bus up from Pgh: I'm not entirely sure where the bus station is in Aliquippa, but I can tell you that certain parts of that town are regarded as dangerous to drive in without your doors locked. I know most of you live in Oakland, but still, I would rather prefer you to get off in Ambridge (which is a stop earlier).

takieddine

Smash Master
i like pockyD's idea... even $20, you can concentrate the winnings to first place, with second and third getting a lot less than first.

Renth

Smash Hero
Meh. $20 for singles is a little rich. But if you want it that way, whatever.
Gier you read it wrong...

10 for singles 10 for teams even 20 = all you need to bring is 20 to enter both.
because i would assume your team mate would pay their own way in.

:laugh:

Dogosse Gier

Smash Journeyman
Ah, yes. I blame English for my... er... its error. Yes, $10 singles and $20 doubles is fine. I should be getting the news on if we can use the place this weekend. So we'll know for sure.

__HARM__

Smash Journeyman
i love how we just re-did crevv, and i am confused i thought dogosse gier and gpd quit smash?????? not that i mind you not wanting to, i loved citc and u guys..

Dogosse Gier

Smash Journeyman
A'ight. SitC 3 it is. And we pretty much did quit Smash, for all intents and purposes. But I kinda wanted to have another tournament, because, ya' know, they're fun. Eh, we'll probably still play a bit, but when we do we'll make a big dirt sandwich and eat every bite.

Dogosse Gier

Smash Journeyman
BREAKING NEWS:

We can't have the place on the 14th. Apparently there was a paranormal convention scheduled on that day since last year. Figures. So the 31st is our other choice? I'll find out about a few different days too.

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
Wow. Paranormal Convention....interesting?

Anyway, if its going to be the 31st we should set it in stone really soon because by the time someone reads this it will be just 19 days away. Which means everyday more we procrastinate on setting it as a solid date the less and less time we have to officially advertise it.

Renth

Smash Hero
I purpose that you repost this thread with the title SitC3 with the official date and times so people see the tourn and get a general idea who's comming rather than 6 pages of spam. through the confusion i've lost track of a few things..

is this
march 31
april 31
or
may 31

----> Lost <----

Dogosse Gier

Smash Journeyman
Well the 2 dates that were originally being considered were March 31 and April 14. We can't have the 14th, so we're looking for a new date. At this point, we're probably going to have to choose between whatever days the youth center isn't already taken. I don't know exactly what those days will be, and I will try my hardest to find out so we can set a date and actually get some information besides random speculation. One thing we can't do is randomly create topics that will just add to the confusion instead of their intended purpose. So until we get something for sure, I vote no new topic.

Top Bottom