• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simon Belmont CONFIRMED PLAYABLE for Super Smash Bros Ultimate! Simon Belmont-exclusive Social Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Remember that Mega Man has 3 attacks where he uses the Mega Buster in the same way (Jab, Foward Tilt and Neutral Aerial) so Simon Belmont using the whip for almost every attack is not an issue
That's just it though. They gave Mega Man a bunch of attacks he doesn't actually have in the NES games to fill out his moveset. They'll have to do the same thing for Simon, I don't see why they wouldn't take moves from other Belmonts where applicable.

Would Simon Belmont using only the Vampire Killer in his Normal attacks look a little stale? Maybe, but that's how Simon fights. He's not like Richter who is very agile and quick and does backflips high jumps and kick attacks, Simon is much more slow and basic
But is Simon like that because that's what Simon is actually like? Or is he like that simply because of control limitations of that era?

Harmony of Despair would seem to argue it's the latter, as Simon in that game(despite still using his NES sprite), still has all the dashes, double jumps and divekicks that all the other Belmonts do.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's just it though. They gave Mega Man a bunch of attacks he doesn't actually have in the NES games to fill out his moveset. They'll have to do the same thing for Simon, I don't see why they wouldn't take moves from other Belmonts where applicable.
That comparison is flawed though, because the reason Mega Man uses those abilities is because it's part of Mega Man's whole appeal, to use the powers of other Robot Masters, which is a main mechanic in his home series. Mega Man uses the Leaf Shield in 2, the The Hyper Bomb in 1, the Hard Knuckle in 3, the Flame Sword in Mega Man 8, etc. Almost every single attack Mega Man has is based on a Robot Master weapon he used in his games except for his floor and ledge attacks.

When has Simon Belmont ever used Richter's backflip? Or Juste Belmont's Magic? or any other Belmont's attack in his home series? the answer is never, because that's not Simon Belmont.

But is Simon like that because that's what Simon is actually like? Or is he like that simply because of control limitations of that era?
The limitations of that era are the reason as to why many characters of that era are what they are now. Little Mac is little because the NES could NOT pull the transparency effect from the arcade games, Mario has a Cap because it was hard to make hair detailed on early days of gaming, Mega Man is Blue because the Color Palette of the NES offered the most shades of Blue, etc.

Little Mac is still Little, Mega Man is still Blue and Mario still wears a cap. The most remembred characters and games are those who work with those limitations in mind, not the opposite.

What makes Simon different from them?

Harmony of Despair would seem to argue it's the latter, as Simon in that game(despite still using his NES sprite), still has all the dashes, double jumps and divekicks that all the other Belmonts do.
Which is why i stated that Simon could use the Jump Kick and Slide, because he can do that, but even then, he only uses those abilities because those abilities are a core part of the game's mechanics, and they gave it to Simon so that he's not at a disadvanage compared to other Belmonts. It's similar as to how Sonic can swim in the Smash games despite him not beign capable of doing so in most of his games, and this is done so he's not at a disadvantage towards other characters when he's on the water (for the Record, Richter is capable of Jump Kicking only in Harmony of Despair, he wasn't capable of using it in any other game, and as such it likely means it was only added in that game so that everyone had the basics abilities in that game)

If there was a Modern Metroidvania with Simon Belmont on it, he would be capable of High Jumping, but that's because it's a staple of the Castlevania Metroidvania games, not because it's part of his unique arsenal (and those who don't use it tend to be unlockable characters, not the main playable protagonists)

All im saying is that Simon Belmont doesn't need to use abilities from other Belmonts from the series. I don't see why we should turn him into a Frankenstein's Monster of all the Belmonts using attacks from each one of them, when all he needs it's his basic arsenal (Vampire Killer and Sub-Weapons). I mean just how many whip users are in Smash anyway? Having one character primarily using the Whip is not gonna make the roster lose variety or not make him stand out. (if anything he would probably use the Whip far more than ZSS, whose half-moveset is based on agile jumps and kicks)

Last edited by a moderator:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I don't think that havibg Simon using other Belmont's ability would be out of character. Pac-Man uses Mappy's trampoline as a recovery, and Snake uses some weapons that are more associated with Naked Snake/ Big Boss than Solid Snake. And they still feel like Pac Man and Snake.

D

Deleted member

I don't think that havibg Simon using other Belmont's ability would be out of character. Pac-Man uses Mappy's trampoline as a recovery, and Snake uses some weapons that are more associated with Naked Snake/ Big Boss than Solid Snake. And they still feel like Pac Man and Snake.
Meanwhile Mega Man revolves around using Robot Master weapons (his whole main mechanic) Cloud uses Limit Breaks only he can use instead of traditional Final Fantasy magic, Sonic has his signature Spin Dash attack, Bayo uses her signature abilities from her franchise and literally every single attack Ryu uses except for his floor and edge attacks come from his series.

Pac-Man and Snake are the exception, not the norm.

Honestly i don't like what they did with Pac-Man, i would have prefered if they used his attacks and moves from his Pac-Man World games instead of just putting Namco Arcade references, and it's part of the reason as to why i don't like playing as Pac-Man. I prefer when characters use abilities only they can use, which is one of the many reasons as to why i don't want Simon to randomly use attacks from other Belmonts.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
That comparison is flawed though, because the reason Mega Man uses those abilities is because it's part of Mega Man's whole appeal, to use the powers of other Robot Masters, which is a main mechanic in his home series.
I'm not talking about the other Robot Master abilities though. I'm talking about moves like his Shoryuken. Which is more or less a move he got from X. Making the comparison between Simon and Richter perfectly apt.

I prefer when characters use abilities only they can use, which is one of the many reasons as to why i don't want Simon to randomly use attacks from other Belmonts.
You must hate characters like Duck Hunt, Captain Falcon, Fox and Ice Climbers then...

The limitations of that era are the reason as to why many characters of that era are what they are now. Little Mac is little because the NES could NOT pull the transparency effect from the arcade games, Mario has a Cap because it was hard to make hair detailed on early days of gaming, Mega Man is Blue because the Color Palette of the NES offered the most shades of Blue, etc.

Little Mac is still Little, Mega Man is still Blue and Mario still wears a cap. The most remembred characters and games are those who work with those limitations in mind, not the opposite.

What makes Simon different from them?
Alright, you're being weird and obtuse now. I think I'm done arguing this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not talking about the other Robot Master abilities though. I'm talking about moves like his Shoryuken. Which is more or less a move he got from X. Making the comparison between Simon and Richter perfectly apt.
Wrong.

That "Shoruyken" is the Mega Upper, and it originates from the arcade games Mega Man: The Power Battle and Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters.

Does the move look like a Shoryuken? Sure, but it still originates from a Mega Man game. Oh and Mega Man could also Wall Jump in Mega Man the Power Battle and Mega Man 2 the Power Fighters, so no, Mega Man's Wall Jump in Smash is not a reference to Mega Man X. Basically, every single move (except for his floor and edge attacks, which don't reference anything in particular) that Mega Man uses in Smash, he used it before in at the very least 1 of his games.

I will repeat again. Has Simon ever done a backflip like Richter in any Castlevania game you play as Simon Belmont? Or a Roundhouse kick? or a slide jump?

The answer is obviously no, so why would he use it in Smash when he doesn't need do that?

D

Deleted member

You must hate characters like Duck Hunt, Captain Falcon, Fox and Ice Climbers then...
I don't like playing as them, anyway.

Also, The Ice Climbers primarily use their Hammer just like in Ice Climber, and there was nothing they could have done for Captain Falcon outside of his stun gun he uses in the comic.

I don't understand why do you think im beign weird and obtuse, if anything i could say the same to you because you are trying to justify giving a character abilities they have never used or things that they are not known for, so why do you want a character that doesn't do those things (Simon) over the one that actually uses those ablities? (Richter)

But since you don't want to argue anymore, i'll leave it at that.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Meanwhile Mega Man revolves around using Robot Master weapons (his whole main mechanic) Cloud uses Limit Breaks only he can use instead of traditional Final Fantasy magic, Sonic has his signature Spin Dash attack, Bayo uses her signature abilities from her franchise and literally every single attack Ryu uses except for his floor and edge attacks come from his series.

Pac-Man and Snake are the exception, not the norm.
So? That is because those characters were already fully workabke in a Smash environment. Meanwhile if Simon was soley focused on his NES/SNES appereance, he would have several movement issues. Heck, he wouldn't even be able to change his direction while being in the air! That is simply absurd! Giving him Richter's back jump (even as a dodge animation) would be ideal since not only reference something else from Castlevania, but also make him a more viable character.

Besides, Ryu and Bayonetta are from fighting/hack'n'slash games with several moves to pull from and Mega Man has 10 games from which pull off. Simon literally has a couple of moves in his games with the whip and subweapon (with some of them probably not even being considered due to the string religious symbolism, like the Rosary or the Holy Water), they need to add something in there.

Also besides Snake and Pac-Man (which shows that creative liberties can be taken with TP characters, even Konami's) there are several characters who do things which they wouldn't do in their main games:
:ultfalcon:His moves are all made up
:ultduckhunt:The duck and the dog are enemies, and unrelated to Hogan Alley
:ultfox::ultwolf::ultfalco:All made up moves
:ulticeclimbers:They don't work as a couple in the game, and don't shoot ice from their hand:ultlucas::ultness:Can't use OK Starstorm
:ultsheik:All made up moves since (s)he doesn't fight in Ocarina
:ultrobinCan't use Nosferatu
:ultzelda: Can't use the Divine Spells from Ocarina
:ultluigi:Tell me the game where his fireballs float mid-air and he launches himself against a wall

And

:ultmegaman:In which game can he summon all the different Mega Men's in order to attack?

All of these had creative liberties in order to better work in Smash. Why wouldn't the same be applied to Simon, since there are also other TP who received this treatment?

D

Deleted member

So? That is because those characters were already fully workabke in a Smash environment. Meanwhile if Simon was soley focused on his NES/SNES appereance, he would have several movement issues. Heck, he wouldn't even be able to change his direction while being in the air! That is simply absurd! Giving him Richter's back jump (even as a dodge animation) would be ideal since not only reference something else from Castlevania, but also make him a more viable character.

Besides, Ryu and Bayonetta are from fighting/hack'n'slash games with several moves to pull from and Mega Man has 10 games from which pull off. Simon literally has a couple of moves in his games with the whip and subweapon (with some of them probably not even being considered due to the string religious symbolism, like the Rosary or the Holy Water), they need to add something in there.

Also besides Snake and Pac-Man (which shows that creative liberties can be taken with TP characters, even Konami's) there are several characters who do things which they wouldn't do in their main games:
:ultfalcon:His moves are all made up
:ultduckhunt:The duck and the dog are enemies, and unrelated to Hogan Alley
:ultfox::ultwolf::ultfalco:All made up moves
:ulticeclimbers:They don't work as a couple in the game, and don't shoot ice from their hand:ultlucas::ultness:Can't use OK Starstorm
:ultsheik:All made up moves since (s)he doesn't fight in Ocarina
:ultrobinCan't use No
sferatu
:ultzelda: Can't use the Divine Spells from Ocarina
:ultluigi:Tell me the game where his fireballs float mid-air and he launches himself against a wall

And

:ultmegaman:In which game can he summon all the different Mega Men's in order to attack?

All of these had creative liberties in order to better work in Smash. Why wouldn't the same be applied to Simon, since there are also other TP who received this treatment?
Look, the problem i have with those whole discussion is that if you are gonna take liberties with the character, you have to make true to the character or fitting.

If we are gonna have Simon Belmont take some liberties, why give him abilities from other Belmonts that he has never used, are from games that come way after Castlevania's days on Classic Consoles, and were made with other characters in mind, when you could go with the much more simple anwser that i stated before:

The Tilts and Aerals could imitate the classic 8-bit/16-bit animations for the Vampire Killer while the Smash Attacks and take a little more liberty (like the Whip changing from leather, to chain whip to fire whip depending on how much you charge them) and have more "cool" and "flashy" animations like in other games of the franchise such as the 3D Castlevania games, that way it would be true to the character and his games of origin, but not redundant. In the same way there are many ways of swinging a sword, there are many ways of swinging a whip.

The only non-whip, non-sub-weapon attacks i can see Simon use is a Jump Kick (Similar to Sonic) for a down aerial or a Slide for a down Tilt since he was capable of using those in Harmony of Despair.

Why is it wrong for Simon Belmont to only use the Vampire Killer and Sub Weapons while it's OK for the likes of Link and Marth only use their basic weapons?
Give him more whip attacks. That's his main weapon of choice, we barely any Whip Users on the roster. Simon Can aim the Vampire Killer at 8 directions on the ground and in the air, he can use a Leather, Chain and Fire Whip. If the attack animations look too stale, just make the Whip Attacks animations more lively. That's it. You don't need to give Simon acrobatic attacks like Richter's Slide Jump when they don't really fit what the character does in his home games. I already said this before in the last page. I was mostly against Simon using Richter's moves specifically, and questioning why wouldn't Simon take heavy inspiration from his home games, when almost every single Third Party (except maybe Pac-Man to a letter extent) is faithful to their origins.

Also all of the characters you mentioned are, again, exceptions to the norm (that norm beign that characters use moves from the games they come from, and stuff that you mention is the exception).

Zelda, C.Falcon, Duck Hunt, Shiek and Fox didn't have almost anything to work with, so they can't be used as examples here (as opposed to Simon, who has combat capabilities and moves to work with) if you used characters that had moves to work with and yet were different in Smash (that weren't last minute addition clone or semi-clone characters), your argument would hold more water, and even if you did, you could only mention some specific moves, rather than an entire moveset (because every single moveset has at least something that their characters use in their home games). Ice Climbers is the only character out of all you mentioned that ad something to work with (the Hammer that is used for Smash Attacks, Tilts and Aerials) and it's only in the Special Moves and Final Smash, and Gimmick of the characters (You could play Cooperatively in 2 player Ice Climber, and that was likely the inspiration where Sakurai turned them into a pair) in which you can really say they were stretching it.

The only good example you could use for a character that has moveset potential from their home games and yet hasn't used it yet is maybe Wario, but that's only one character of over 50 ones on the roster (and Wario uses his signature attack, the Shoulder Bash as a dash attack and his Ground Pound as a Down Throw)

Falco and Luigi (now Semi-clones) that were last minute addition clones that share moves as a result of them sharing the same body structure and mostly feature those same attacks as to not alienate the players that used in the eariler games (which is why we are still stuck with the Ganondorf we have, sword attacks notwithstanding). Same goes for Wolf to an extent since while he is not a clone or semi-clone, he was a low priority addition that was almost cut from Brawl.

Really, why would Sakruai try to do something like giving Richter's moves to Simon ,when he went up to the above and beyond with the likes of Ryu , *Mega Man, Cloud and Bayo that all heavily feature attacks and moves only they can use?

Why not emphasize on the Vampire Killer, Simon's Signature weapon? That's you liberty right there, it can easily be used at Simon's Advantage, i mentioned this before, and yet people insist on giving him moves from a far more acrobatic Belmont like Jump Slides or Roundhouse Kicks.

*You mention his Final Smash, and yet you don't mention how every single other attack outside of the FS, Floor and Edge attacks are all stuff Mega Man does in his home games, and while it's true that Mega Man has not teamed up with the other Mega Men ,in Ultimate Proto Man and Bass were added, and Mega Man has teamed up with them before in the Arcade games and Mega Man 10) not to metnion that the starting animation is based on the Black Hole Bomb from Mega Man 9.

Really why are you still trying to use exceptions to the norm as arguments when the norm for all guests is to heavily borrow from their source material?

Oh and also, Simon Belmont would be able to turn while Jumping, im not that ignorant and i know when to to take liberties with the character (namely when it comes to basic mechanics, like Sonic swimming when he usually can't).

When i stated that fact about Ryu jumping, it was just an example of Sakurai giving attention to detial. Simon would simply have low air acceleartion like Ryu, that's it.

Not to mention he had better control in Super Castlevania 4, so there was also that if you want a more flexible Simon.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Look, the problem i have with those whole discussion is that if you are gonna take liberties with the character, you have to make true to the character or fitting.

If we are gonna have Simon Belmont take some liberties, why give him abilities from other Belmonts that he has never used, are from games that come way after Castlevania's days on Classic Consoles, and were made with other characters in mind, when you could go with the much more simple anwser that i stated before:

Give him more whip attacks. That's his main weapon of choice, we barely any Whip Users on the roster. Simon Can aim the Vampire Killer at 8 directions on the ground and in the air, he can use a Leather, Chain and Fire Whip. If the attack animations look too stale, just make the Whip Attacks animations more lively. That's it. You don't need to give Simon acrobatic attacks like Richter's Slide Jump when they don't really fit what the character does in his home games. I already said this before in the last page. I was mostly against Simon using Richter's moves specifically, and questioning why wouldn't Simon take heavy inspiration from his home games, when almost every single Third Party (except maybe Pac-Man to a letter extent) is faithful to their origins.

Also all of the characters you mentioned are, again, exceptions to the norm (that norm beign that characters use moves from the games they come from, and stuff that you mention is the exception).

Zelda, C.Falcon, Duck Hunt, Shiek and Fox didn't have almost anything to work with, so they can't be used as examples here (as opposed to Simon, who has combat capabilities and moves to work with) if you used characters that had moves to work with and yet were different in Smash (that weren't last minute addition clone or semi-clone characters), your argument would hold more water, and even if you did, you could only mention some specific moves, rather than an entire moveset (because every single moveset has at least something that their characters use in their home games). Ice Climbers is the only character out of all you mentioned that ad something to work with (the Hammer that is used for Smash Attacks, Tilts and Aerials) and it's only in the Special Moves and Final Smash, and Gimmick of the characters (You could play Cooperatively in 2 player Ice Climber, and that was likely the inspiration where Sakurai turned them into a pair) in which you can really say they were stretching it.

The only good example you could use for a character that has moveset potential from their home games and yet hasn't used it yet is maybe Wario, but that's only one character of over 50 ones on the roster (and Wario uses his signature attack, the Shoulder Bash as a dash attack and his Ground Pound as a Down Throw)

Falco and Luigi (now Semi-clones) that were last minute addition clones that share moves as a result of them sharing the same body structure and mostly feature those same attacks as to not alienate the players that used in the eariler games (which is why we are still stuck with the Ganondorf we have, sword attacks notwithstanding). Same goes for Wolf to an extent since while he is not a clone or semi-clone, he was a low priority addition that was almost cut from Brawl.

Really, why would Sakruai try to do something like giving Richter's moves to Simon ,when he went up to the above and beyond with the likes of Ryu , *Mega Man, Cloud and Bayo that all heavily feature attacks and moves only they can use?

Why not emphasize on the Vampire Killer, Simon's Signature weapon? That's you liberty right there, it can easily be used at Simon's Advantage, i mentioned this before, and yet people insist on giving him moves from a far more acrobatic Belmont like Jump Slides or Roundhouse Kicks.

*You mention his Final Smash, and yet you don't mention how every single other attack outside of the FS, Floor and Edge attacks are all stuff Mega Man does in his home games, and while it's true that Mega Man has not teamed up with the other Mega Men ,in Ultimate Proto Man and Bass were added, and Mega Man has teamed up with them before in the Arcade games and Mega Man 10) not to metnion that the starting animation is based on the Black Hole Bomb from Mega Man 9.

Really why are you still trying to use exceptions to the norm as arguments when the norm for all guests is to heavily borrow from their source material?

Oh and also, Simon Belmont would be able to turn while Jumping, im not that ignorant and i know when to to take liberties with the character (namely when it comes to basic mechanics, like Sonic swimming when he usually can't).

When i stated that fact about Ryu jumping, it was just an example of Sakurai giving attention to detial. Simon would simply have low air acceleartion like Ryu, that's it.

Not to mention he had better control in Super Castlevania 4, so there was also that if you want a more flexible Simon.
I still can't understand why inventing moves is "more fitting" than giving him actual moves from characters who are blood related to him (and also have a similar body structure, so the possible argument "Simon is too muscular to do a backflip" doesn't work), since it is likely that all the Belmonts went trough similar training.

The biggest problem with "more whip attacks" is in the nature of the weapon: a whip, in order to work, has to receive a particular movement, so the options aren't infinite like with a sword, which no matter how you touch it it can hurt you.

But I guess this is a divergence in our vision about character design. At this point let's wait and see how Sakurai envision the character, ok?

D

Deleted member

I still can't understand why inventing moves is "more fitting" than giving him actual moves from characters who are blood related to him (and also have a similar body structure, so the possible argument "Simon is too muscular to do a backflip" doesn't work), since it is likely that all the Belmonts went trough similar training.

The biggest problem with "more whip attacks" is in the nature of the weapon: a whip, in order to work, has to receive a particular movement, so the options aren't infinite like with a sword, which no matter how you touch it it can hurt you.

But I guess this is a divergence in our vision about character design. At this point let's wait and see how Sakurai envision the character, ok?
Look at Link in Smash.

Do you remember him doing something like his down Smash in any game particular? I don't, but it comes across as natural. The same could go to Simon's VK. If you have a problem visualizing it, why don't you look at other whip users in media to give you an idea? (the Whip Ability in Kirby gave me a good idea for a Dash Attack and Up Smash) also you don't have to use the whip in a reaslistic way.

Also is not that Simon is too muscular, it's that in the games Simon is playable he tends to be around the slow and low jumping type, and even in latter games he keeps some of those aspects of him alive even with all the modernization.

The reason i envision him as the slow but strong whipe user because characters like Mega Man literally are based or at the very least inspired by their NES sprites (the way he moves, the way he jumps, the balls that appear when he dies, he may not be as slow or fast has he was in the NES from what i remember but he comes pretty close) and then there's Ryu who i already mentioned in the past, so i don't have any reason to think that Simon would not take heavy, and i mean very heavy inspiration from his outing in home games, and the only liberties i see them taking are ones that are necessary to Smash itself (like, Simon Belmont would be actually capable to swim)

But, as you said, it's better to just agree to disagree, we went back and forth for so long, and i don't want to keep going.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I think balancing might be something to take into consideration. Obviously, the whip would be Simon's primary method of fighting and use it in most of his attacks. The whip is very long range melee weapon, and I believe the sweet-spot would probably be toward the end rather than close to Simon, as such, a few short-range non-whip attacks would be good for him to have to keep deal with foes getting too close. I don't see any harm in any of those attacks resembling those of other characters in the Castlevania series, it would be a nice nod to the fans of the series and much better than Sakurai pulling attacks out of thin air.

Anyway, here are a couple videos of Simon in fighting games that could shine some light onto some of the ways he could use his whip for attacks.

D

Deleted member

So to give another topic to talk about, i wanted to ask how would a Simon Belmont trailer go about to reveal him.

Will they put suspence as to who it is?

Will they just reveal Simon outright and make something similar to the Inkling's trailer?

Will they use the help PowerHouse Animation studios to animate Simon's trailer like Palutena or Robin?

Will Mega Man and Pit appear in the trailer?

D

Deleted member

Come to think of it, i think Simon Belmont fighting (if not outright killing) Ridley in his trailer wouldn't be far-fetched.

I mean, Ridley's look is mostly based on Super Metroid ownards, and that design shares an uncanny resemblance to Slogra and Gaibon (Death's main henchmen in Super Castlevania 4), from Slgora's head to Gaibon's teeth, and honestly looks like a fusion of both:
Simon Killed Ridley's Parents.

Not to mention that because of Simon's involvement with Mega Man (who was basically killed by Ridley in his trailer) in Captain N, it would be like him avenging his friend. Also, Simon does kill monsters and evil stuff, it's basically his job.

Hell, just make Simon's trailer be him oppening a can of whoopass (or whipass) on every playable Nintendo villain (Bowser, Bowser Jr, Ganondorf, K.Rool if he gets announced, etc) and the "dark" and "edgy" characters (Dark Pit, Meta Knight) and Bayo becasue she tried to hunt Pit, and we all know what happens when you mess with Simon's friends.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Will they just reveal Simon outright and make something similar to the Inkling's trailer?

Will they use the help PowerHouse Animation studios to animate Simon's trailer like Palutena or Robin?
You know, actually having Powerhouse animation would be an amazing idea, specially since they could pull an easy bait and switch, near the release date of castlevania season 2, Showing teh trailer in teh context of the netflix animation, it would make ppl think that is a teaser for third season or something, and plafff, simon breaks a smash ball out of nothing.

I do think it will have gameplay footage, unlike inklings though.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played it before. But, I'm planning on getting Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate for my 3DS. I support!

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Never played it before. But, I'm planning on getting Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate for my 3DS. I support!
Welcome, Welcome!

mirror of fate was a strange experience for me. I personally think that the game is pretty, and I ironiclly prefer the 3ds version over the HD versions, since i feel that they managed to get a great mileage of the 3d usage giving the castle a lot of sense of depth.

That being said, i don't think that the Lords of shadow formula worked at all just being slapped on a Metroidvania castle :c which is a shame really. Just save rooms would've done the game wonders... (and Lord of shadows battle system complexities didn't translated well at 2d)
Still, i hope you enjoy the game, is still looks very pretty :)

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Currently playing through every Castlevania, that I can, leading up to a hopeful reveal of Simon. Just got done with Castlevania on my NES Classic.

Uh, I don't remember Dracula being that easy... Anyways! First one is still fun. It's dated but it's still a Classic.

Moving on to Simon's Quest. This will actually be the first time I've ever completed this game! Will update as I beat each one!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What do you think Simon’s trailer tag line would be?

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Probably something involving his whip like "Simon Whips into Shape!". However, I'll attempt to get more creative and suggest "Simon Casts His Judgment!" to reference his appearance in the Wii fighting game and his clan's legacy of always fighting to take Dracula out of existence. After all, the Vampire Killer as a whip is pretty firm judgment in itself since it's intended for that purpose!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
“What a horrible night to join Smash!”
“What a Smashing night to have a curse!”
Probably won’t be that, as it doesn’t say Simon’s name, but I don’t see them not using it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
“What a horrible night to join Smash!”
“What a Smashing night to have a curse!”
Probably won’t be that, as it doesn’t say Simon’s name, but I don’t see them not using it.
That could be the trailer name, I guess? Like how Ridley’s is titled “A piercing screech”

just realized this is post no. 666 in the thread, woooooo spoopy

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Sign me up as a big supporter for Simon, i've wanted him in since i was like 10 years old back in the brawl days

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
How about: "Simon Vanquishes the Night" As the trailer Tagline. In reference to that quote from Simon's Quest: "The Morning Sun Has Vanquished the Horrible Night."

ZelDan

Smash Master
How about: "Simon Vanquishes the Night" As the trailer Tagline. In reference to that quote from Simon's Quest: "The Morning Sun Has Vanquished the Horrible Night."
I'm having trouble thinking of anything outside of lame whip puns, so I'm going to go ahead and say this is a pretty good one.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I am surprised that some people think that Simon don't have a chance just because Castlevania is a Konami IP. Bomberman's presence as an AT shows that Nintendo and Konami were both willing to negotiate IPs beyond Metal Gear.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I am surprised that some people think that Simon don't have a chance just because Castlevania is a Konami IP. Bomberman's presence as an AT shows that Nintendo and Konami were both willing to negotiate IPs beyond Metal Gear.
Exactly. Even without Vergeben's leak seeing Bomberman as an AT really convinced me that Simon Belmont is quite likely. The only precedents of content from non-playable series were a couple of songs from Baiten Kaitos (which is owned by Bandai Namco, who developed the game) and DLC Mii Fighter costumes. Seeing that AT in the base game proves that Konami is willing to license new content besides what was in Brawl (toady the website even revealed a brand new remix of Snake Eater), unlike what most people think.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
People continue to spout this nonsense for some reason. I still remember pre-e3 how Snake was impossible because Konami is stupid and Sakurai wouldn’t betray Kojima.
Glad those idiots got shut down then, but they still act like what we got is what we’re getting.

If anything, Bomberman being an AT lends credence to the idea of Simon being playable. There’s no way we’re not going to get Castlevania content if we got Bomberman content.

D

Deleted member

Most people that used that argument was back before Snake was announced to return.

Nowadays it's generally agreed that Simon is one of the most likely Third Parties and characters for Ultimate because:

-Castlevania is one gaming's most renowed franchises (Konami's 4th best selling series, 3rd best selling if you exclude the Japan Only "Pro Kyaku" series) and while it may not be as well known as some of the franchises already in Smash, it's still more iconic and recognized than a lot of other third parties that are requested for Smash. For one, it helped define an entire style of game (the MetroidVania) and is recognized by anyone who is into games of the 3rd and 4th generations of consoles.

-Simon Belmont is the most prominent and recurring protagonist of the series, appearing in 22 Konami titles, those beign 6 Castlevania games where he is the main playable character, 6 Castlevania games where he makes some sort of appereance wheter be playable of NPC, and has been used as the main and sole playable representative of the franchise in many crossovers, such as Dream Mix TV World Fighters and Super Bomberman R.

-Is heavily associated with Nintendo due the franchise's exposure in 80's where he appeared in a Cartoon with other Nintendo characters and was heavily advertised in Nintendo's Offcial now-defucnt magazine Nintendo Power (where he even appeared in the main cover of some issues), that means a lot of fans of Nintendo consoles and Games (who are the major core audience that likes Smash) will be familiar and may even want Simon Belmont, which means people could have requested him in the Ballot by a decent or even large number (Vergeben already stated that Simon did "Suprisingly well in the Ballot") remember that this aspect is also shared with Mega Man, since a lot of people see him as a "Unofficial Nintendo Character" due to his exposure in Nintendo Systems and was one of the most requested and speculated characters for Smash 4 (and after his inclusion he had the most exposure in Smash Advertising out of all the third parties, appearing in Newcomer posters, trailers and commericals far more than Pac-Man or Sonic)

-Since Bomberman is an AT, there's literally no other Konami character that has the same profile as Simon himself, let alone a larger one than him (Goemon is only known in Japan mostly, the likes Contra and Gradius have fallen of from grace and started a hiatus way before Castlevania did in 2014, Dance Dance Revolution isn't exactly a franchise you see people demanding to see in Smash, Hudson's franchise that Konami now owns like Adventure Island and Bonk are not as iconic and prevalent as Bomberman who only got as an AT, and Silent Hill actually has sold less than Castlevania from what i have researched) and so there's really no other character from the company that would prove to be competition against him.

-Konami onwing the franchise is actually a plus, because it means they don't have to negotiate with another completely different company in order to get a character.

Really the only problem i see Simon facing is that his support doesn't seem to be as vocal as other highly requested characters like K.Rool, Bandanna Dee, Isaac or even Geno.

It could be "Silent Majority" issue (i rarely use this argument because most of the time it comes across as a Boogeyman) and that most people that like the idea haven't spoked yet.

and i say this is because back in Smash 4 speculation, Simon was always shot down as early as possible because of "1 character per 3rd Party company" , which was a fan-rule that basically turned him down before anyone alanlyed any of his merit as a character.

After Ryu's reveal in Smash 4 (which killed this fan-rule) i saw an influx of Supporters coming out of the woodwork after this event, but this still wasn't enough , and that was because there was also the whole issue with Snake's asbence that divided supporters between Simon, Snake and Bomberman (who started to gain some traction). Snake took the lead because of his veteran status, Metal Gear beign Konami's 2nd best selling franchise and therefore their second most important one, but there were a lot of doubters because of the whole Konami-Kojima debacle that blew up in 2015 and was heavily talked about in 2016.

In 2017, Bomberman became one of the most if not THE most disscussed 3rd Party character in Smash Ultimate speculation thanks to *Super Bomberman R, which meant that Bomberman had a recent game while Castlevania and Simon Belmont didn't. However Konami's reputation made a lot of people question the idea of Bomberman beign in Smash, and there was also a lot of debate as to why would Konami give Bomberman approval for Smash and yet not for Snake's return. This lasted for the entirity of 2017, and Simon was mostly tagging along as the second Konami character that got alongside either of the other 2.

and then, in March 2018, Vergeben stated that Simon was playable. After that, talk about Simon became much more prevalent and much more recurring, and the only reason why people didn't talk more about Simon was because there wasn't a lot to talk about when it came to Smash Ultimate (remember, before E3 2018, we didn' even knew the title of the game, all we knew was that Mario, BotW Link and the Inklings were in the game, that's it) but that changed after E3, thanks to Snake beign in the game (which means Konami is now on-board with Smash again) there's literally nothing that can stop Simon, and i haven't seen a singular argument against him that holds any merit.

I have been desiring Simon for Smash online since 2013, and of all my years on this site, Simon has never been as requested or as talked about as he is now.

Something tells that a LOT of people also wanted Simon, but they dind't have confidence in that happening until now, where all of his issues are no longer present.

*This actually ended up not helping much, since Smash Ultimate's first project plan was done in 2015 (meaning that at least some character choices were already done by that point). Castlevania's most recent game at that point was Lords of Shadow 2 in 2014 and Simon's most recent appearence in any game in general was in Mirror of Fate in 2013, while Bomberman's most recent appearence was in Bomberman Live: Battlefest in 2010.

D

Deleted member

Not sure if it was talked about yet but

https://smashboards.com/threads/smash-ultimate-discussion.434391/post-22216417

Another vergeben thing correct

We're just hairs away from cloud nine easily
Just before anyone says "the dataminers leaked Base Goku and Vegeta first!"

Vergeben's statement of Base Goku and Base Vegeta playable in DBFighterZ: November 13, 2017. Everyone always states "but he edits his posts all the time!", so i actually used the Internet Wayback Machine to see if he changed it and rewinded the post to way back to November 13 2017, and even way back then he still stated that these 2 were playable, Spirit Bomb inlcuded.

Dragon Ball FighterZ release date: January 26, 2018 Worlwide and Feb 1 in Japan.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Base Goku having a spirit bomb was pretty much guaranteed, that doesn't really help his case much. Though him even claiming as early as November that the base forms would be in is certainly eyebrow raising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom