• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simon Belmont CONFIRMED PLAYABLE for Super Smash Bros Ultimate! Simon Belmont-exclusive Social Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Thanks guys. I’m probably go with a few recolors along with maybe three versions of his chronicles.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Nice selection of Simon costumes, but you still came up a few short.

NES official art

Castlevania Judgement

Haunted Castle

Super Castlevania 4

Although frankly, I always thought it looked more green in the game.

Nintendo Power's "Worst Cover Ever" Simon Belmont

They ran this on the cover of their Castlevania 2 issue. Lots of parents called in and complained that it gave their kids nightmares.

And of course we can't forget

Especially if he's going to be hanging out with Megaman and Kid Icarus
I'd use that last one exclusively. That's the Simon of my childhood.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
If Simon Belmont does get into smash. from then on out all I will ever be talking about for smash until the end of time is putting Alucard in as well.
I still think Simon will and should get in before Alucard. but that said there is nothing else that would make me happier and I'd be maining him forever no matter what.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I'm ready for that glorious trailer with remixed Bloody Tears as Simon tosses Holy Water on everyone.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
How have I not noticed this thread and joined the support sooner?! Sign me up!

I shamefully admit I’ve actually never played a Castlevania game (but I’d love to!) I have however seen the Netflix animated series and I’m so looking forward to season 2! In addition, Simon has a lot of uniqueness potential for Smash, and is a gaming icon in his own right.

What’s a good starting point for a Castlevania noob such as myself?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I shamefully admit I’ve actually never played a Castlevania game (but I’d love to!) I have however seen the Netflix animated series and I’m so looking forward to season 2! In addition, Simon has a lot of uniqueness potential for Smash, and is a gaming icon in his own right.

If you liked the animated series (what’s not to like?), maybe try Castlevania 3? It’s the easiest of the original trilogy, and you get to play as the characters from the show. Otherwise, IV and Symphony of the Night seem like the go-to recommendations for introduction to Classicvania and Metroidvania.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman

it can depend on which you would prefer. once you get to Symphony of the night and onward it's the exploration style that game helped coin Metroidvania. so if that is what you think you'll like definitely go for Symphony of the night.
as for the more classic platformer style of the old games I couldn't really say myself since I've mostly played the former.

but man really gotta get back to finishing the original NES one because I was actually quite digging it. also gotta get on super.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
Super Castlevania IV if you like more standard platformers and want a somewhat breezy romp through classic monster movie setpieces.

Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles (the remake of Rondo of Blood for the PSP, I think that’s the English title?) if you want a ball busting platformer challenge and the truly horror-inspired aesthetic that a game about demons and vampires would imply.

Symphony of the Night if you want beautiful sprite art and a more exploration/level up/collectathon experience. It basically created and perfected the Metroidvania genre.

Order of Ecclesia if you want something resembling good storytelling and the most polished version of the Metroidvania style gameplay in existence. (I’d personally save this one for after SotN due to its generally higher difficulty.)

People talking about Alt costumes:
I’d prefer Chronicles as the main costume and Conan as the Alt. And I’d rather have Trevor or Richter instead of Conan. They would be perfect costume swaps. Especially with how popular the Netflix series is, Trevor is a particularly good choice. (And it might open the door for Alucard to be an Assist Trophy or something.)

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Super Castlevania IV if you like more standard platformers and want a somewhat breezy romp through classic monster movie setpieces.

Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles (the remake of Rondo of Blood for the PSP, I think that’s the English title?) if you want a ball busting platformer challenge and the truly horror-inspired aesthetic that a game about demons and vampires would imply.

Symphony of the Night if you want beautiful sprite art and a more exploration/level up/collectathon experience. It basically created and perfected the Metroidvania genre.

Order of Ecclesia if you want something resembling good storytelling and the most polished version of the Metroidvania style gameplay in existence. (I’d personally save this one for after SotN due to its generally higher difficulty.)

People talking about Alt costumes:
I’d prefer Chronicles as the main costume and Conan as the Alt. And I’d rather have Trevor or Richter instead of Conan. They would be perfect costume swaps. Especially with how popular the Netflix series is, Trevor is a particularly good choice. (And it might open the door for Alucard to be an Assist Trophy or something.)
haha, great synopsis. What do you think about the original 3 on the NES? Or have you played them?

D

Deleted member

Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles (the remake of Rondo of Blood for the PSP, I think that’s the English title?)
Yes, that is the English title.

---

One thing I'd like to add is that The Dracula X Chronicles also includes the original Rondo of Blood (fully translated in English, unlike the version that was on the Wii Virtual Console) and Symphony of the Night as unlockable bonuses. That particular port of the latter game featured an additional unlockable playable character, among other smaller changes such as redubbed and retranslated English voice acting (the original's was "so bad it's good").

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
If we get Simon I really hope that it’s the Chronicles design, as it’s my favorite design of the character. I was never really a fan of the classic design as I felt it wasn’t very distinct enough for him to stick out, in fact I found myself to like it even less than he design from Judgement in all honesty.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Thinking about Castlevania stages in Smash, I feel the obvious choice is the first level from the NES game.

I was thinking that maybe the stage could be five tiered. It could be made of two halves. The top half could be based on the hallway section and the bottom half could be based on the moat section.

The hallway section could have the Battlefield layout. The platforms are connected to each other by stairs. Fighters can walk on these stairs too.

The stairs are connected to the main platform. There is a gap in the middle of the main platform. This gap leads to the moat section.

The moat section could have the Jungle Japes layout. Fighters can swim in the water. The platforms are supported by the submerged columns.

Oh, and all of the platforms in this stage are solid but the stairs are not solid.

I guess it could be a big stage like Hyrule Temple... but not too big like The Great Cave Offensive or Palutena's Temple. I think I will keep the stage name simple... "Castlevania".
Lol Simon could never swim

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
haha, great synopsis. What do you think about the original 3 on the NES? Or have you played them?
I like Castlevania 3 on the NES quite a lot but I don't think it's a great starting point for what the series is like as a whole? They wouldn't re-use character-switching until Portrait of Ruin. (And outside of character-switching, I can't really recommend CV3 over other games in the series.)

I'm not a huge fan of the original incarnations of CV1 and CV2. They are pretty clunky. Challenging, sure, but I don't feel like the payoff is worth the frustration. SCV4 (the worst name for 'Castlevania 1 remake' ever?) just did everything I wanted from the platformer style of CV, so it's hard to revisit the older games now. If I want the truly retro CV experience these days, I'd play Bloodstained Curse of the Moon (Actually, I should recommend that people play that game anyway, it's freakin' amazing for $10 bucks...)

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'd like to be on the list for Simon Belmost supporters. I'm a big fan of the Castlevania series, and SUper Castlevania IV is one of my favorites in the series. If he does make it in, I coukld see this song being great for his reveal trailer:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I like Castlevania 3 on the NES quite a lot but I don't think it's a great starting point for what the series is like as a whole? They wouldn't re-use character-switching until Portrait of Ruin. (And outside of character-switching, I can't really recommend CV3 over other games in the series.)

I'm not a huge fan of the original incarnations of CV1 and CV2. They are pretty clunky. Challenging, sure, but I don't feel like the payoff is worth the frustration. SCV4 (the worst name for 'Castlevania 1 remake' ever?) just did everything I wanted from the platformer style of CV, so it's hard to revisit the older games now. If I want the truly retro CV experience these days, I'd play Bloodstained Curse of the Moon (Actually, I should recommend that people play that game anyway, it's freakin' amazing for $10 bucks...)
Your right, they are clunky as you put it. They were my first experience as a child though, and quite honestly, as much as I liked Castlevania 4, it frankly felt too easy compared to what I struggled through with CV1 and 3. CV2 was a breeze in terms of gameplay, but would have been impossible to solve without a Nintendo Power at my side. My favorite of the whole franchise would probably be symphony of the night though. I grew up loving platformers, adventure style and RPG games, so it melded all those elements quite well for me.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
As much as I love Simon Belmont, I'm going to be honest. Half the reason I want him in the game is so I can Smash to Bloody Tears... (Now that I type that out, it seems very wrong...)

I will say, Simon Belmont feels like one of the easiest characters to ever design a move set for. Just give him the whip in most directions for his basic attacks, and the special weapons for the specials. There's an almost anticlimactic quality to how his move set would probably be in that way, but I still really want to see him as a legitimate third party rep.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Considering Simon Belmont has been sounding strong for Smash, I would love it and be happy if at least Carrie Fernandez makes it to Smash as an AT.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Personally I think that a good AT for Castlevania would be either Alucard or Dracula, if the latter isn't a stage hazard.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Considering Simon Belmont has been sounding strong for Smash, I would love it and be happy if at least Carrie Fernandez makes it to Smash as an AT.

Honestly... i would be surprised if anything related to cv64/lod makes into the game...dont get me wrong, i love the game, fondly, but im pretty sure that game isnt on konami priority list, and doesnt seem to be in sakurais list either...

that being said i would love a rerelease on the switch. well i guess there is always emulation.

as for castlevania assist trophie, would love Dracula.
sypha and medusa heads could also be interesting ATs.

Regarding the ballot, yeah, the "theory" actually makes sense. it actually makes sense that the started developing this game during smash's dlc. in fact they would ended developing bayo, cloud and corrin for 3 games instead of 2... maybe thats why those 3 are almost unchanged.

Still i feel you are slightly underselling bayo, I certainly would've voted for he on the ballot if i decided to vote for characters that i though that had a chance, of all the possible winners she was my favorite... (more than dixie, krool, or even shovel knight)

But I "Thrown away" my votes for "imposible"characters voting for Ridley and Simon Belmont... silly me, uh? (note this is ironic)

Still, while 80% sure Simon is in, i still have a 20% of healthy skepticism... and it raises me an eyebrow that verge knows that he reason for simon is the ballot, we can certainly speculate that he is in due (in part) the ballot, but knowing means that his source is kinda deep.

Still, if by any way, simon isnt in Im 100% pushing him for DLC (assuming this game have DLC ) and i feel due to the leak a lot of people have discovered a castlevaniashaped void on their hearts. :242:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Okay, I didn't admittedly think too much about the idea of Simon joining Smash other than "huh, that'd be neat" before Ultimate's reveal of Konami content and the Vergeben leak came along. Now that we know that this game is fanservice haven with the ballot, I had to return to this idea.

I do love the charm of the older Castlevania games, with SCIV being one of my favorite SNES titles and SotN one of my favorite PS1 titles. Other than that and being giddy at the idea of having more gaming icons join Smash and strengthen its legacy, I think a whip user in Smash would be such an addicting character that I may seriously consider picking up as a main. I would also never complain about the chance of seeing Alucard possibly cameo in Smash.

@Tord the Red Leader, I'd like to be added to the support clan!

slambros

Smash Ace
So I've thinking aboutthe prospect of Simon Belmont in Smash, and a thought came to me. It's probably a thought that's already been expressed to be honest.

I fully expect the developers to approach his design the way they approached Mega Man's. I think they'll give him a design that's very in line with his look from the NES games. It'd definitely be the most intriguing approach.

:131:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'd say Alucard would be the best candidate for Assist Trophy as he's more-or-less the second face of the series (excluding Dracula himself of course). Plus, I would imagine he has decent popularity outside of Smash to warrant an inclusion in the role.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
I fully expect the developers to approach his design the way they approached Mega Man's. I think they'll give him a design that's very in line with his look from the NES games. It'd definitely be the most intriguing approach.
God, I hope not. Castlevania 1 Simon is the clunkiest character in the world. I mostly want Simon in Smash Bros so that I can finally play a Belmont who doesn't control like a boulder tied to a string.

Sakurai can keep the cool essentials while modernizing him and making him a bit more mobile for a game like Smash.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I'd say Alucard would be the best candidate for Assist Trophy as he's more-or-less the second face of the series (excluding Dracula himself of course). Plus, I would imagine he has decent popularity outside of Smash to warrant an inclusion in the role.
Agreed. So would Alucard be his original CV3 incarnation where he throws fireballs or his more well known SOTN incarnation which attacks with both sword and magic?

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
If by some miracle Alucard ends up in the game (even as just a normal decorative trophy), it'll be his more iconic SotN design. Unlike Simon, there's no question which Alucard is the most well-known.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
God, I hope not. Castlevania 1 Simon is the clunkiest character in the world. I mostly want Simon in Smash Bros so that I can finally play a Belmont who doesn't control like a boulder tied to a string.

Sakurai can keep the cool essentials while modernizing him and making him a bit more mobile for a game like Smash.
I agree with making pragmatic changes that will work in a modern moveset that people will want to play as, but I still hope they keep some aspect of that intact. I like Simon being unwieldy with his jumps, it makes him feel heavy.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Honestly... i would be surprised if anything related to cv64/lod makes into the game...dont get me wrong, i love the game, fondly, but im pretty sure that game isnt on konami priority list, and doesnt seem to be in sakurais list either...

that being said i would love a rerelease on the switch. well i guess there is always emulation.

as for castlevania assist trophie, would love Dracula.
sypha and medusa heads could also be interesting ATs.

Regarding the ballot, yeah, the "theory" actually makes sense. it actually makes sense that the started developing this game during smash's dlc. in fact they would ended developing bayo, cloud and corrin for 3 games instead of 2... maybe thats why those 3 are almost unchanged.

Still i feel you are slightly underselling bayo, I certainly would've voted for he on the ballot if i decided to vote for characters that i though that had a chance, of all the possible winners she was my favorite... (more than dixie, krool, or even shovel knight)

But I "Thrown away" my votes for "imposible"characters voting for Ridley and Simon Belmont... silly me, uh? (note this is ironic)

Still, while 80% sure Simon is in, i still have a 20% of healthy skepticism... and it raises me an eyebrow that verge knows that he reason for simon is the ballot, we can certainly speculate that he is in due (in part) the ballot, but knowing means that his source is kinda deep.

Still, if by any way, simon isnt in Im 100% pushing him for DLC (assuming this game have DLC ) and i feel due to the leak a lot of people have discovered a castlevaniashaped void on their hearts. :242:

I apologize for saying that.

Artix

Smash Journeyman
I will support Simon Belmont for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!

Castlevania is one of my favorite games of all time and that would make my dream come true if Simon gets in. You know, that makes me wonder if his alternate costumes will be based on the other Belmonts. (Trevor, Richter etc.) That would be great if they did.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I apologize for saying that.
uh?... why?

i also stated that i like that game and i would be very happy with ANY CV64/LoD representation, but Konami certainly have forsaken that game and is certainly VERY low on the list of priorities... to the point that we didn't have it on the virtual console on the wiiu :/

don't see how your statement is a problem.

Edit: oh, i see, my post structure is terrible... btw, I only quoted your post for the first part regarding CV64 DX

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Indeed. While it'll be Simon, I expect a lot of his moves will come from SotN Richter.
Heavily dobut this will happen. Once you look at how the Guests are handled in Smash, it's clear they are trying to be as accuarate as possible.

Look at Ryu. He has 3 button types depending on how hard you press them (a mechanic from the first Street Fighter game) ,has a very slow air acceleration which is a nod to how jumps function in the Street Fighter series in which they follow an arc and cannot be made to change direction once initiated, Collarbone Breaker's shield breaking property is based off of its usage as an overhead in his home series in which it is frequently used as a way to attack opponents who are blocking low and now in Ultimate he always faces his opponents in 2v2s like in his home series.

Not to mention every single Third Party guests (except maybe Pac-Man) use abilities only they could use in their home series.

Simon Belmont is definetly going to take inspiration from his games specifically, and if Simon Belmont is gonna take any inspiration outside of his NES debut, it will likely be from Castlevania 4's Whip Mechanics, giving him the possibility of having diagonal Tilts, Smash Attacks and Aerials (and IV Simon has better controls so if it's not gonna be based on the NES games it could be based IV)

Last edited by a moderator:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Once you look at how the Guests are handled in Smash, it's clear they are trying to be as accuarate as possible.
The only problem with that is that Simon on his own does not have enough moves to fill out a Smash moveset. Sure, you can make his Special attacks all subweapons, but his basic whip attack is not going to be sufficient to cover all of his normals and smash attacks.

Richter on the other hand, while still being a Belmont, has all of the dash attacks and rising attacks that Simon would need in order to be a fleshed out character.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The only problem with that is that Simon on his own does not have enough moves to fill out a Smash moveset. Sure, you can make his Special attacks all subweapons, but his basic whip attack is not going to be sufficient to cover all of his normals and smash attacks.

Richter on the other hand, while still being a Belmont, has all of the dash attacks and rising attacks that Simon would need in order to be a fleshed out character.
Remember that Mega Man has 3 attacks where he uses the Mega Buster in the same way (Jab, Foward Tilt and Neutral Aerial) so Simon Belmont using the whip for almost every attack is not an issue, since that's Simon's primary weapon of choice and method of attack outisde of Sub-Weapons.

Would Simon Belmont using only the Vampire Killer in his Normal attacks look a little stale? Maybe, but that's how Simon fights. He's not like Richter who is very agile and quick and does backflips high jumps and kick attacks, Simon is much more slow and basic (and that's not a bad thing in the slightlest, characters that are the face of the series like Ryu and Little Mac are very basic once you compare them to other characters in their home series) and there's no precedent for Guests using abilities from other characters of their home series, instead they are 1-1 conversions and use all of their signature abilities.

The Tilts and Aerals could imitate the classic 8-bit/16-bit animations for the Vampire Killer while the Smash Attacks and take a little more liberty (like the Whip changing from leather, to chain whip to fire whip depending on how much you charge them) and have more "cool" and "flashy" animations like in other games of the franchise such as the 3D Castlevania games, that way it would be true to the character and his games of origin, but not redundant. In the same way there are many ways of swinging a sword, there are many ways of swinging a whip.

The only non-whip, non-sub-weapon attacks i can see Simon use is a Jump Kick (Similar to Sonic) for a down aerial or a Slide for a down Tilt since he was capable of using those in Harmony of Despair.

Why is it wrong for Simon Belmont to only use the Vampire Killer and Sub Weapons while it's OK for the likes of Link and Marth only use their basic weapons?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom