• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simon Belmont CONFIRMED PLAYABLE for Super Smash Bros Ultimate! Simon Belmont-exclusive Social Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
In case you were wondering about Simon's current scores in the Rate Their Chances thread...

Wow... That chance rating is one of the biggest increases I have ever seen, especially for a third party.
Leaks tend to do that, especially when they get something right. Look as how much larger the Simon support thread has grown as of late. Isabelle's support thread also just got a big increase after she was included in this leak.

I find it interesing as to how Vergeben just DOESN'T back down regarding Simon, he's pretty damn confident he is coming.

Although im very confident in Simon's inlcusion myself, Vergeben was just the launching point and all the research i made regarding Simon's history and importance in his series only has helped me.

Onto another topic, Castlevania's 2nd Season Trailer has dropped:
(OBVIOUSLY VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED, but i think everyone knows this show isn't for the faint of heart)

I noticed one thing, and that is that Hector from Curse of Darkness makes an appereance in this trailer. There's also a mysterious character that may or may not be Grant Danasty (yeah the design is different but Trevor looks different from what he did in the Castlevania 3 Artwork and the only thing he shares with the Curse of Darkness Design is the scar on his left eye)
I'm looking forward to this. I hope we get more than four episodes this time, but I'll take what I can get.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I hope Simon gets a recolor based on Soma, would be perfect for an Ayami Kojima design based costume, maybe his barbarian costume can get recolors based on other Belmonts and his Kojima design gets colors based on other Castlevania protagonists.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I imagine the Simon recolors will be of other Belmonts and maybe Alucard. Would be even better if they went full Bowser Jr. With the Alts and gave us Gabriel, Trevor, etc as actual costumes.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
If Vergeben is 100% credible in regards to Smash Bros, then I think that Simon Belmont could very well be the next newcomer revealed. With the Castlevania Season 2 trailer released now, it would be a fitting timing for his announcement in the coming weeks.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I feel like having Konami back in Smash with Snake and Bomberman but no Simon, would be like Smash 4 not having Pac-Man despite Namco developing the game, this is why i feel confident on his inclusion too.

mediyogurt

Smash Cadet
I also support Simon. Alucard would be a cool skin, since that's one of the more popular characters in the series.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I was wondering: how would you feel if for the Castlevania series icon they went with something incredibly boring like a bat? I mean they used a generic gear for Mega Man...

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I was wondering: how would you feel if for the Castlevania series icon they went with something incredibly boring like a bat? I mean they used a generic gear for Mega Man...
Well, at least it would make some sense since Dracula can transform into one. The cogs are used on some Japanese Rockman games, but not really notably. Mega Man's helmet really would've looked so much better, even if the cogs are probably used as a catch-all for the robots through the entire franchise.

I wouldn't like it, no matter what justification is used. Series symbols should always be specialized. After all, they're symbols for a reason. Using the Vampire Killer would really captivate what Castlevania is all about, in the same way the Falchion does for FE.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I would be a bit underwhelmed, but it would at least make more sense than Mega Man's gear icon.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I played a little bit of Super Castlevania 4 on the SNES Classic a little while ago. It made me think about the possibility of Simon’s moves “leveling up” mid combat, almost like a playable amiibo...actually the idea came from a design for Brian from Quest 64, but this is the Simon thread.

The regular whip over time could become the chain whip or the flame whip, and the other items could upgrade too. I’m not sure about how the upgrade system could work though. Maybe connecting a move a certain amount of times?

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I suppose they can’t use a cross or a crescent moon as the series icon as cool as they could be because religious symbolism and controversy, the vampire killer would be the best option since it links all the series.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'd actually prefer the bat over the Vampire Killer as it represents the entire series better.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Castlevania, Akumajou Dorakyura...

Present in every game, even if dracula or the vampire killer are nowhere to be seen...

I still think the catsle is a better simbol :p

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think the castle is way to busy compared to the other series icons used in Smash.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

Present in every game, even if dracula or the vampire killer are nowhere to be seen...

Yeah, my personal preference for a Castlevania simbol would be:
1) The Castle
2) The Vampire Killer
3) A Bat

And I think that the Castle can work as an icon, even if it is complicated. I mean they managed to use the Mother planet.
20180801_070213.png

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord

I fully agree. My preference would be his logo be the silhouette of the castle.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I'd actually prefer the bat over the Vampire Killer as it represents the entire series better.
Oooh, I like that too! It would simply convey "Dracula" as well as the horror motif of the entire series, yet still very recognizable as a symbol (if they don't make it look like Batman anyway...).

I'd still probably prefer with the whip/vampire killer though. The castle does seem a bit overly complicated, and the Christian cross is just a big no-no to me. Or even the crescent moon if they can still make it distinctive enough from Bayonetta's...

Oddball

Smash Lord
What about the castle in front of the moon?

https://imgur.com/orkuFhe

edit: Okay. this is weird. When I got to edit the post, the pciture shows up. When I actually post it, it doesn't. So here's a link instead.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
edit: Okay. this is weird. When I got to edit the post, the pciture shows up. When I actually post it, it doesn't. So here's a link instead.
Seems like an issue between this site and imgur as I've had that problem posting imgur links as well.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Thinking about it the bat would be very striking to most people not familiar with Castlevania.

The castle in front of the moon looks really good, and it doesn’t have to be complicated, they can simplify its design by showing less towers of the castle.

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen
I was thinking about the castle, the bat, and the vampire killer as well for the series icon.

By the way, looking at the intro video of the Grand Prix mode of Super Bomberman R, I noticed a symbol on the memory cartbridge that Belmont Bomber gave to Bomberman, it's a diagonal cross, and the same symbol flashes when Bomberman activates it. Maybe that could work for the franquise icon?

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I was thinking about the castle, the bat, and the vampire killer as well for the series icon.

By the way, looking at the intro video of the Grand Prix mode of Super Bomberman R, I noticed a symbol on the memory cartbridge that Belmont Bomber gave to Bomberman, it's a diagonal cross, and the same symbol flashes when Bomberman activates it. Maybe that could work for the franquise icon?

Well, it'd get around the problem of bearing too strong a likeness to religious iconography since it's so stylized now with the jagged ends and diagonal angle. We've seen more out of left-field decisions with series symbols before (again, Mega Man), and R was co-developed by Konami, so I won't be surprised if this is what they'd want Sakurai to use.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
What about the castle in front of the moon?

https://imgur.com/orkuFhe

I hope not, it doesn't really scream "Castlevania." To be honest, it looks more like a shuriken than anything from Castlevania.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
So after hearing about the leak, I started Castlevania on my NES Classic. Managed to beat it and am now working my way through both Simon's Quest and Super Castlevania 4 on the SNES Classic. There's definitely a ton of moveset potential here. Simon can be easily playable, especially since Konami's already on board.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Do you think his reveal trailer might be animated by Frederator since they're doing the animated series in Netflix?

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I was gonna say that i preferred redhead Simon but as soon as i saw his artwork from Castlevania Grimoire of Souls it makes me want that his appearance in Smash is specifically based on it, it's best of both worlds: iconic barbarian look with iconic Kojima's style, hands down the best Simon i have seen, no joking it made me change my mind on what design is my favorite.

He could always get the Chronicles look as an alt costume.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Honestly, looking at that art makes me dislike the original design more. I think his Chronicles version fits Super Smash Bros Ultimate's art style best.

Simon Belmont shouldn't look like a Barbarian. He is a Vampire Hunter not a Barbarian.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I've said this before, but the fact that Konami suddenly dropped the Chronicles version they've been using for years now and all of a sudden have gone back to using that classic Barbarian look in the last year or so leads me to believe that that's the design Nintendo chose for Smash, and Konami (wisely)realized that his Smash design would be his new iconic look going forward(because Smash is more popular than CV), and decided to adopt that appearance for all future Simon appearances.

Heck, even the Simon Bomberman is clearly based on this new design.
Simon Belmont shouldn't look like a Barbarian. He is a Vampire Hunter not a Barbarian.
I mean, to be fair, he was ABSOLUTELY a barbarian in early games. But if your argument is that hunter Simon is better, than I agree with you.

In fact, it's interesting that the Chronicles version has become the more mainstream version now, because the design above seems most closely based on the ORIGINAL version of Chronicles, the X68000 version. Right down to the single the shoulder pad. And that design itself is clearly just an adaptation of his original famicom artwork.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom