• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SIMON BELMONT: Castlevania's First Vampire Slaying Whip-Wielder

Status
Not open for further replies.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
We need to come up with arguments and counter arguments to support Simon Belmon's inclusion in Smash 5.

Why Simon Belmont and not other Castlevania characters?
Because he's the most iconic protagonist in the series.

Why should Castlevania get a playable character?
Because Castlevania is pretty much a gaming classic.

What can Simon Belmont do? Is he unique?
He's got multiple weapons on his arsenal, allowing him some pretty unique combinations of moves.

Which version of Simon Belmont would fit in Smash?
One that resembles his classic look, a la Mega Man and Pac Man.

And the toughest question to answer... why Simon Belmont and not Snake?
Maybe since Castlevania has more history with Nintendo than Metal Gear? Plus, the former is a more family friendly franchise than the latter.
Answers below.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Answers below.
You are preaching to the choir here! Now, can we convince ignorant people into supporting Simon Belmont with these arguments? I was thinking we could solidify our arguments some more... we should show how Castlevania has a history with Nintendo and why Simon Belmont best represents Castlevania's connection with Nintendo. We need to sell Simon Belmont to the Smash fanbase. I've been posting on Facebook supporting Simon Belmont. Some people liked the idea... some people needed some educating.

Damn it, Simon Belmont would be so unique in Smash with his whip and sub weapons. Is there a way we can incorporate the hearts? What if he has a gimmick involving collecting and spending hearts to use sub weapons? Maybe that's not necessary?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I completely support Simon Belmont's inclusion in Smash. Just not at the cost of removing Snake.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
We need to come up with arguments and counter arguments to support Simon Belmon's inclusion in Smash 5.

Why Simon Belmont and not other Castlevania characters?
Simon Belmont is the series' first and most iconic protagonist. He has appeared in the most titles. He is most strongly associated with Castlevania 1 & 2 which appeared on the NES. Other prominent protagonists are more associated with games on non-Nintendo systems, like Alucard and Symphony of the Night.

Soma Cruz is a Nintendo exclusive basically, but he's not the most iconic choice for Castlevania. He's not a whip-wielding Belmont, and if you weren't going to use a whip-wielder, you'd probably go for Alucard, who is more famous.

Simon even appeared as a main character in the Captain N cartoon show.
Why should Castlevania get a playable character?
Castlevania is a long-running series with a strong Nintendo connection. The series debuted on the NES. Castlevania 1-3 were big name games on the NES, Super Castlevania was on the SNES.

Castlevania has an even stronger connection with Nintendo handhelds, with almost all of its portable titles being on Nintendo handhelds. They kept the Metroidvania genre alive with a number of titles on the GBA and DS.
What can Simon Belmont do? Is he unique?
Whips, subweapons, item crashes. He's got plenty by himself.

He can borrow moves from other Castlevania protagonists if necessary.
Which version of Simon Belmont would fit in Smash?
It's obvious he'd be a design inspired by Castlevania 1 & 2. For one, Sakurai likes the classic looks, see: Mega Man and Pac-Man. For another, those and the similar design used in Super Castlevania, etc. are the designs most strongly associated with Nintendo. His new bishonen style is associated with the reboot and such.

He'd have a black, red and white palette for Simon's Quest and a brown and tan palette for Castlevania 1.
And the toughest question to answer... why Simon Belmont and not Snake?
Simon is a classic video game character who is more strongly associated with Nintendo than Snake by a long shot.

And the Castlevania series has maintained a stronger connection to Nintendo than Metal Gear, which only gives Nintendo ports of games that came out years earlier on other consoles. Metal Gear is associated primarily with Playstation, with Nintendo getting just the scraps after both Sony and Microsoft have had them.

And come on, we all want to see the Captain N reunion: Pit, Mega Man and Simon Belmont!

Unlike Snake, he would be a worthy inclusion even without the creator personally begging his friend Sakurai to put him in.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
i never really got all the snake hating, as i see simon would represent konami, since castlevania is more strongly tied to nintendo than anything else konami have (as much as i would love silent hill characters, thats not gonna happen).

on the other hand, snake would be an oddball that isnt necessarily representing konami, but rather expressing sakurai and kojima friendship and Nintendo oddball relation with kojima, since lets face it, konami doesnt do much regarding MGS, its mostly kojima productions.

but the chances of konami trying getting simon belmont are as slim as weird konami executive decisions are. if you think capcom and square enix were bad DX. Konami probably would ask for the PES futbol player in smash, and once its denied, they would launch their own smash bros with hookers and slot machines and it's gameplay would even worse of judgement, so they will turn it into an actual slot machine and will wonder why it would fail.

I really don't have any hope in konami... doesn't look like? XD

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
i never really got all the snake hating
I think a lot of people who are only peripherally knowledgeable of Snake felt like his "feel" was really different from Smash Bros since he can come off as a really serious, gritty, modern shooter kind of character. Of course, in reality the Metal Gear series is super silly.

Simon definitely would be a more Nintendo related representative, of course.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I want Simon Belmont soooooooooooo bad after recently buying a NES that came with Castelvania 1, 2, and 3. A perfect character to represent Konami and the classic age.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I like Snake. I want him to come back. It's just sad that his inclusion would mean that my two most wanted third party reps (Bomberman and Simon Belmont) would have a rep from the same company to contend with.

Also, we need Simon for the Captain N reunion.... we're so close!

FreezeGuy64

Smash Cadet
Hey guys i found that there's a petition to include Simon Belmont in Smash 4 on change.org so i thought that it maybe our chance to make simon enter the smash world, so what do you think "Simon for Smash 4"

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Hey guys i found that there's a petition to include Simon Belmont in Smash 4 on change.org so i thought that it maybe our chance to make simon enter the smash world, so what do you think "Simon for Smash 4"
It is far too late for Simon Belmont to get in Smash 4 unless you want the game delayed to 2015.

But we have plenty of time to gather supporters and hopefully make Simon Belmont the number one most-wanted third-party character for Smash 5. It worked for Sonic in Brawl and Mega Man in SSB4... maybe it might work for Simon Belmont in SSB5. Maybe we will finally have our Captain N reunion with Pit, Mega Man and Simon Belmont in SSB5.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
It is far too late for Simon Belmont to get in Smash 4 unless you want the game delayed to 2015.

But we have plenty of time to gather supporters and hopefully make Simon Belmont the number one most-wanted third-party character for Smash 5. It worked for Sonic in Brawl and Mega Man in SSB4... maybe it might work for Simon Belmont in SSB5. Maybe we will finally have our Captain N reunion with Pit, Mega Man and Simon Belmont in SSB5.
Samus was a member of the N team in the comic as well, so might as well throw her in.

Simon for DLC!

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Last night, I was playing Castlevania II: Simon's Quest for ideas... what if he got moves that involve Sacred Flame, Garlic, Laurel, Diamond, and Flame Whip?

I also want Simon to have something unique that makes him stand out... and I thought, what if he got a gameplay mechanic that gives him Double Shot and Triple Shot? It could enable Simon to use subweapons twice and thrice in a row instead of one at a time.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What if Simon can make his whip go limp and whip it around like in Super Castlevania IV if you hold down the A button and toggle the control stick around?

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528

I don't know why - it just feels appropriate.

I'm old. I want Simon Belmont.

Hong

The Strongest
Not to take anything away from Mega Man or Pac-Man, but I'll take Simon over them any day.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
He's the most epic hero from his era besides Link - and I'm with you, though I suppose Mega Man fits the aesthetic more.

Pac-Man's rad, I'm glad he's in the game, but Namco was a pillar of the arcades, not a pillar of Nintendo, and Konami was basically THE JAM when I was little, and no one rocks that harder than Simon.

Plus his potential is through the roof in terms of move sets

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think we should be more proactive about supporting Simon Belmont for SSB5 (because it's too late for SSB4). I was posting a few posts on Miiverse to support Simon. I think our numbers need to grow... to increase our visibility that Nintendo and Konami couldn't ignore the fan demand. How about using a hashtag to support Simon Belmont for SSB5 on social media websites?

Hong

The Strongest
I think we should be more proactive about supporting Simon Belmont for SSB5 (because it's too late for SSB4). I was posting a few posts on Miiverse to support Simon. I think our numbers need to grow... to increase our visibility that Nintendo and Konami couldn't ignore the fan demand. How about using a hashtag to support Simon Belmont for SSB5 on social media websites?
I am not even sure why Nintendo would want to work with Konami again.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I don't think Konami would want Simon over Solid Snake. Metal Gear is Konami's Cash Cow. Castlevania games don't sell well anymore like they use to. I understand you Guys want a Captain N reunion. But Snake is Konami's Mascot Having Simon Belmont overtop of Snake is like having NiGHTS overtop Sonic The Hedgehog. And don't even bring up your arguments about The Phantom Pain not coming to the Wii U. Snake has roots way back to the NES, GBC, NGC and Most recent WiiVC,N3DS on top of the MGS3D is getting an e-shop release.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The "(insert franchise) doesn't sell anymore" argument is not a good argument. It didn't work on Sonic. It didn't work on Mega Man. It definitely didn't work on Pac-Man. Why would it suddenly NOT work on Simon Belmont?

Nights over Sonic would be cool but the analogy isn't good. Nights only had ONE game on the Wii while Sonic had many games on Nintendo systems since the Gamecube / GBA days. Castlevania has more games on Nintendo systems than Metal Gear does. Also, let's not forget that Kojima begging Sakurai is the main reason Snake got in. Nights getting in over Sonic would be analogous to Snake getting in over Simon in that sense.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Why? Are Nintendo and Konami on bad terms now?
They have more or less had an allergy to Nintendo this past generation.

The only real interaction was Lords of Shadow 2. A 3DS game that is a sequel to a game that won't be found on any Nintendo hardware, when most Nintendo customers are rather loyalist. Needless to say, it was a huge commercial failure, only increasing the distance between the two companies.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
The "(insert franchise) doesn't sell anymore" argument is not a good argument. It didn't work on Sonic. It didn't work on Mega Man. It definitely didn't work on Pac-Man. Why would it suddenly NOT work on Simon Belmont?

Nights over Sonic would be cool but the analogy isn't good. Nights only had ONE game on the Wii while Sonic had many games on Nintendo systems since the Gamecube / GBA days. Castlevania has more games on Nintendo systems than Metal Gear does. Also, let's not forget that Kojima begging Sakurai is the main reason Snake got in. Nights getting in over Sonic would be analogous to Snake getting in over Simon in that sense.
Tell me this why would you take Konami's Mascot replace him with another character. Sakurai fought to get Snake in there not going to take him out for Belmont

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Tell me this why would you take Konami's Mascot replace him with another character. Sakurai fought to get Snake in there not going to take him out for Belmont
If he's still in, that is...

If we aren't getting Snake in SSB4... why not add Simon Belmont in SSB5 instead?

Also, Sakurai didn't really fight to have Snake in Brawl... that was Kojima's doing.

DANICK

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0619-4467-3811
If simon appear i hope he castlevania chronicles costume shows up

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
If he's still in, that is...

If we aren't getting Snake in SSB4... why not add Simon Belmont in SSB5 instead?

Also, Sakurai didn't really fight to have Snake in Brawl... that was Kojima's doing.
Actually. Sakurai had to prove Nintendo that Snake was Nintendo enough to join the roster!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sakurai had to prove that? What evidence did he use to support that claim?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Kojima 'practically begged" Sakurai to include him in Melee but couldn't due to time constrains. Nintendo thought Snake was more of a "Sony Character" So Nintendo had to get on the same stance as Sakurai. So i put together myself a little list of Metal Gear Games over the year. Snake's only had 2 Sony Exclusives MGS1 and MGS4. Us Nintendo fans had 3 Ghost Babel, The Twin Snakes, Snake Eater 3D. 5 if you count the 2 NES games. I don't know what evidence he used probably the same thing I just said (minus MGS3D) because it had not been release yet.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This is the evidence you are presenting? Well, there are more Castlevania games that are exclusive to Nintendo than there are Metal Gear games that are exclusive to Nintendo.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Heck Simon was helping, along with Megaman in making Nintendo the super power they are now. Even after Sony threw their hat in. Konami still had a fair few Castlevanias on Nintendo systems.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Castlevania appeared on Nintendo Consoles more than Metal Gear I get it. But Snake is the Mascot of Konami. Sakurai is already a fan of Metal Gear. I say Sakurai already contacted Konami and Snake's already in. Also Snake was well received in Brawl and was the most used character in Tournaments.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Castlevania appeared on Nintendo Consoles more than Metal Gear I get it. But Snake is the Mascot of Konami. Sakurai is already a fan of Metal Gear. I say Sakurai already contacted Konami and Snake's already in. Also Snake was well received in Brawl and was the most used character in Tournaments.
Okay, and?

Do you want us to stop supporting Simon Belmont because Snake is probably back in SSB4? Or do you not want us to support Simon Belmont for SSB5 as the new Konami rep in case Snake doesn't come back?

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Okay, and?

Do you want us to stop supporting Simon Belmont because Snake is probably back in SSB4? Or do you not want us to support Simon Belmont for SSB5 as the new Konami rep in case Snake doesn't come back?
If Snake Returns he will be a permanent Konami rep and wont (probably) wont be replaced. After Every Smash Bros theres a few Metal Gear games that come to Nintendo platforms. Watch this for better understanding! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZva9lt7N78

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That's nice and all... but I think most Simon Belmont supporters are already aware of this. We just don't care... we want our voices be heard and I think most of the supporters want Nintendo and Konami to acknowledge that there is fan demand for Simon Belmont to be in Smash regardless whether Snake is in or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom