• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SIMON BELMONT: Castlevania's First Vampire Slaying Whip-Wielder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Warning Received
I respect your fanboysim and all. it would be stupid to replace the companys mascot.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
I wouldn't overdo that - Castlevania definitely outsold Metal Gear back in the day - Snake may be an iconic character, but so are the entire Belmont clan, a DDR pad, and a bunch of soccer players. It's like arguing for Ryu over Megaman with Capcom - you may be technically right, but I'll be damned by the sweet and almighty lucifer if Simon Belmont isn't at least SOMEWHAT iconic enough in a game that celebrates Nintendo's history to be possibly considered.

I also like Snake. I'd love if the rules were broken and Snake returned (had a Big Boss alternate) and Simon Belmont were both representing Konami - because at that point we'd only be missing Square to really reflect on the good ol' days.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
We need Simon Belmont to complete the Captain N party and fix the horrors done by his DiC counterpart.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
I don't know why it took me so long to realize how awesome Simon Belmont would be in smash. I'm here to support until he is in. I need whip some people in smash hopefully to Simon's Theme.

Also I like how obvious his specials should be. Before I came here I had thought of some of the things you guys had written down already like neutral special axe arch and side special cross toss. What would you guys think if he worked on mana (not sure what the blue bottles are called because I only really played Super Castlevania which is where the Simon love comes from even though I suck at Castlevania) basis? For instance, having a blue bottle makes his special stronger but he has to deal so much damage to enemies in order to acquire the blue bottles.

Don't be too harsh if it is a terrible idea. Like I said I am a Castlevania noob.

Edit: Also, I didn't fully read the moveset on the OP yet.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Simon Belmont's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Simon Belmont's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
I just saw you post this in the Ridley forum a few pages ago lol. I would imagine something like a bruiser ranger. He has a decent enough arsenal to be a ranger but I feel like his whip would give him some nice bruiser qualities.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I just saw you post this in the Ridley forum a few pages ago lol. I would imagine something like a bruiser ranger. He has a decent enough arsenal to be a ranger but I feel like his whip would give him some nice bruiser qualities.
Yeah I know, I am just curious of all the Support Threads moveset potential when it comes to the characters they support. I love talking about Smash a little too much.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
I just realized I called them blue bottles in my first post here. I meant the hearts. I was thinking of shovel knight for some reason.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I FULLY support the inclusion of Simon Belmont. After Mega Man, Simon Belmont is my most wanted 3rd party character to appear in Smash Bros. And seeing that Mega Man is in (as well as Pit and Samus [though Samus was only in the comics]), Simon Belmont would complete the Captain N trio.

Well, that and I love the Castlevania games! He would be the better Konami character to have in Smash Bros. to represent the history of Nintendo gaming.

Sign me up as a supporter (if you have a support box)! :)

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Hey guys, what do you think of this?:

Nice, rooting that franchise logo. the final smash though, from a game design perspective freezing characters withouth they having a chance to avoid it is usually a very bad idea...maybe a very big cross as FS?

And regarding gimmicks and stuff, simon should have a powerful theter recovery, but maybe a horrendous up b recovery (a la yoshi) to sipce things up, plus throwing axes with a up b motion would feel sooo castlevania (maybe he can gain some height like when ice climber is alone. ) on teh other hand, a B move that works as a theter and can be angled upwards? well, one thing sure, moveset potential is VERY high.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Nice, rooting that franchise logo. the final smash though, from a game design perspective freezing characters withouth they having a chance to avoid it is usually a very bad idea...maybe a very big cross as FS?

And regarding gimmicks and stuff, simon should have a powerful theter recovery, but maybe a horrendous up b recovery (a la yoshi) to sipce things up, plus throwing axes with a up b motion would feel sooo castlevania (maybe he can gain some height like when ice climber is alone. ) on teh other hand, a B move that works as a theter and can be angled upwards? well, one thing sure, moveset potential is VERY high.
Yes; however, I don't think Simon Belmont's moveset would allow Crosses, considering how Nintendo of America took them away from the Earthbound/Mother series.

Sheng Long

Smash Apprentice
Full support on this one. I have always wanted a Castlevania character to be Konami's rep and Simon is it. However, I do prefer Soma Cruz to be the best character though.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
nah, it would be Bull****, Op as annoying as ****.

Maybe the crosses on big cross could be changed to the cross boomerang. since it's a lot more neutral.
I thought you meant it as a Final Smash. Honestly, I don't know what could be replaced with the Crosses if Nintendo decides to replace them.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Takamaru and Simon Belmont debuted in 1986! Both have my full support for Smash 5!

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I thought you meant it as a Final Smash. Honestly, I don't know what could be replaced with the Crosses if Nintendo decides to replace them.
the Hydro storm was actually a joke referencing how stupidly OP and cheap is in SOTN intro. thats why I linked the video.
I can understand though that jokes and lighthearted jokes are hard to catch on teh internet.. since you have no entonation and stuff
: /
I think it would be silly to replace standar castlevania crosses though, since they are on almost every castlevania game on a nintendo sistem.

since the cross with all the four edges the same lenght isn't by any means exclusive to christian faith, it would be as ridiculous as calling Ridley "satan" or stuff like that.

Here is an example of how equal length crosses could work on a grand cross FInal Smash.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
the Hydro storm was actually a joke referencing how stupidly OP and cheap is in SOTN intro. thats why I linked the video.
I can understand though that jokes and lighthearted jokes are hard to catch on teh internet.. since you have no entonation and stuff
: /
I think it would be silly to replace standar castlevania crosses though, since they are on almost every castlevania game on a nintendo sistem.

since the cross with all the four edges the same lenght isn't by any means exclusive to christian faith, it would be as ridiculous as calling Ridley "satan" or stuff like that.

Here is an example of how equal length crosses could work on a grand cross FInal Smash.
I agree with ya, but I just don't know what Nintendo of America will allow. Hopefully they allow the crosses in the game in some shape or form.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I really wonder if Sakurai would consider Simon to be a "worthy" 3rd party character.
If you ask me, he's almost as relevant to Nintendo as Sonic is.

Besides, I think the roster would benefit from having a 2nd Middle-ranged character.

I've been thinking, if Simon were in the game, how would he get the whip power ups?
Eventually his whip has to turn into a chain, and then on to a flaming chain.

Maybe depends on how hard you hit? (Standard = whip, Tilts = chain, Smash Attacks = Flame)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Hmmm....

Normal A or Side A = leather whip
Smash A moves = chain whip
Fully charged Smash moves = flame whip

Sounds good?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hmmm....

Normal A or Side A = leather whip
Smash A moves = chain whip
Fully charged Smash moves = flame whip

Sounds good?
Yeah, that sounds great. :D

Here's another one. And it's a tad crazy but bear with me.

What if they give him a mechanic where if he WHIPS an item, said item turns into a Castlevania power up?
So that way he can upgrade his whip in mid-battle. Would force his opponents to be careful with how they use items around him.

Not sure about energy projectiles, but solid projectiles like Banana peels, turtle shells, turnips, etc.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Yeah, that sounds great. :D

Here's another one. And it's a tad crazy but bear with me.

What if they give him a mechanic where if he WHIPS an item, said item turns into a Castlevania power up?
So that way he can upgrade his whip in mid-battle. Would force his opponents to be careful with how they use items around him.

Not sure about energy projectiles, but solid projectiles like Banana peels, turtle shells, turnips, etc.
unless he have a solid way for taking advantage of the enemy restraining himself regarding items... I don't see it a very useful mechanic. and would be OP with items ON. maybe coul dbe something similar to levin sword and little macs one hit ko? you charge the powerups while doing damage.

or maybe combinanting something akin to Lords of shadows, since you charge your power ups the more damage you do withouth getting hit?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What if the items are turned off? Then that mechanic would be useless in For Glory mode.

Maybe Simon could make a candle appear out of thin air, whip it to make random items appear, and Simon can pick them up? The random items are hearts (enable you to use subweapon special moves), money bags (useful for Coin Battles), Double/Triple Shots, and whip upgrades. Maybe it's too complicated...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
unless he have a solid way for taking advantage of the enemy restraining himself regarding items... I don't see it a very useful mechanic. and would be OP with items ON. maybe coul dbe something similar to levin sword and little macs one hit ko? you charge the powerups while doing damage.

or maybe combinanting something akin to Lords of shadows, since you charge your power ups the more damage you do withouth getting hit?
Yeah, I can see why my idea would be severely limiting to the character.
Your idea sounds a lot more possible.

And... Well, there's also the Lucario effect. Except it's just limited to whip strength and range.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
What if the items are turned off? Then that mechanic would be useless in For Glory mode.

Maybe Simon could make a candle appear out of thin air, whip it to make random items appear, and Simon can pick them up? The random items are hearts (enable you to use subweapon special moves), money bags (useful for Coin Battles), Double/Triple Shots, and whip upgrades. Maybe it's too complicated...
Sounds too complicated... but could be an interesting idea for a castlevania level, having some candles spawn in fixed places and droping certain items upon being destroyed. high chances of dropping a low health item (such as fruits) middle chance to drop an equipable item, low chance to drop a explosive item. if it is fixed and predictable can even be used on no items competitve match i guess.

As castlevania items, maybe doubleshots and tripleshots, that for a little ammount of time let you chain up to 2 or 3 times your b special?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don't know why, but I'd really like to see a Medusa head as an item. :D

You pick it up, and then you let it go as it zig-zags herway accross the screen, in all her annoying glory.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

You pick it up, and then you let it go as it zig-zags herway accross the screen, in all her annoying glory.
heh, it could work like cuukos, being slower, more avoidable, but turning players into stone :D

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
What would be funny is if the Medusa head was an item but Medusa from Kid Icarus was playable as well.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Finally, the most epic thread ever.
love this song though:

and this for a trevor alt?:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Finally, the most epic thread ever.
love this song though:

and this for a trevor alt?:

As a Castlevania 64/Legacy of Darkness fanboy, I loved what they did with Cornell theme... too bad the game sucks even more than Dracula D:

And as for alts, I would prefer Classic Simon to be his main and LOS Simon to be his alt. (Considering Mirror of fate was a 3ds release and all) actually i really dig a lot Simon belmont LOS design (Even if the plot was somewhat meh) It was a great mix of his more iconic features (Barbarian like, redhead)

not the biggest fan of kojima redesign (even if i'm a huge fan of her works)

But the LOS design takes the best parts of the Kojima design.

And please, no judgement alt, I want simon, not light yagami D:

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Bur Judgment music should be in. The soundtrack was amazing. If only the game was given more money/time...

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Bur Judgment music should be in. The soundtrack was amazing. If only the game was given more money/time...
if only the game was developed outsside of konami and by someone with a very minimal experience in fighting games, Certainly the game could have used more budget... but dunno if it was a good idea spending all the little money they got on the intro cgi and obata artwork DX.

Really wouldn't mind Judgement 2 done by people who know what they are doing, but since it flopped so hard, I really doubt it. sad thing is that knoami executives probably think that it didn't succeded because the idea of a castlevania fighter was too awkward, and not because the quiality of the game is terri-bad and the game did a great job alienating the very same fanbase it was supossed to appeal for.

And it's a Castlevania, doesn't matter how bad the game is, it still have amazing music :p (ask Curse of Darkness, Simon's Quest or Castlevania Legends, heck, even Haunted Castle!)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Medusa from Kid Icarus should be a newcomer... and Medusa Heads from Castlevania should be Smash Run enemies!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

I'm gonna go with Zoner/Ranger.
That whip of his is bound to stop enemies on their tracks and take more cautious approaches at him.
But he'd also have his knives, axes, crosses, and Holy Water to throw at the enemy, forcing a desperate move out of him/her if they have a keep-away strategy in mind.

Being so good at middle range and long range, I think his only drawback should be his recovery.

I can only think of a Zair recovery, but if he were to have an UP+B recovery as well, I think it should be that giant vampire bat boss from the very 1st level of Castlevania 1.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I'm gonna go with Zoner/Ranger.
That whip of his is bound to stop enemies on their tracks and take more cautious approaches at him.
But he'd also have his knives, axes, crosses, and Holy Water to throw at the enemy, forcing a desperate move out of him/her if they have a keep-away strategy in mind.

Being so good at middle range and long range, I think his only drawback should be his recovery.
I agree, not having a good up b recovery is usually a quite powerful drawback, and having a good tether recovery would force to always recover with tether, making him more unique.

Edit: in fact this combined with the whip power up the more damage you do withouth getting hit could make a very unique character

I can only think of a Zair recovery, but if he were to have an UP+B recovery as well, I think it should be that giant vampire bat boss from the very 1st level of Castlevania 1.
Or a ring could appear on the stage and Simon could use it to swing or go up, Super Castlevania 4 style.

Last edited:

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
if only the game was developed outsside of konami and by someone with a very minimal experience in fighting games, Certainly the game could have used more budget... but dunno if it was a good idea spending all the little money they got on the intro cgi and obata artwork DX.

Really wouldn't mind Judgement 2 done by people who know what they are doing, but since it flopped so hard, I really doubt it. sad thing is that knoami executives probably think that it didn't succeded because the idea of a castlevania fighter was too awkward, and not because the quiality of the game is terri-bad and the game did a great job alienating the very same fanbase it was supossed to appeal for.

And it's a Castlevania, doesn't matter how bad the game is, it still have amazing music :p (ask Curse of Darkness, Simon's Quest or Castlevania Legends, heck, even Haunted Castle!)

in their defense they hired eighting which has been capable of making fun, simple fighters that manage to be deeper than they seem. I just feel they forced them into their first full 3D battle game and didn't fund jack. Back then the Wii was seen as trash remember? everyone in the industry hated it.
the artwork, without options for different classic looks, killed people on the surface though.
sad story, because I liked the idea, even part of the gameplay. I just felt unfinished, unpolished, as if I were playing a game only 30 percent done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom