• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Simna ibn Sind's Guide to PK Thunder (NTSC)

dan smith

Smash Champion
I still haven't seen the video. How is this possible?! I need to do something about it.

Simna is the PK Thunder Ness master.

Lt. Killjoy

Smash Ace
OHMYGOD!!! I just watched your video man..... HOLY ****!!! That was so awesome! I need to learn how to do some of that stuff! Next time I can get my hands on my GC I'm so, trying that ****! You are the greatest Ness I have ever seen.... that includes.... you and Joshu and me! Anyway.... mad props to you! Matt's going to be so pissed when I glitch his *** all over the place.

ANTX

Smash Ace
dat full range PK thunder 2 is tite.
like killjoy's sig.
rok on ness.
(i won a tourney with ness today! yay!)

LonelyNess

Smash Cadet
Hey yeah nice vid

Really like the thunder section...When you were talking about it in the thread i wasnt too impressed but seeing it work is something else...all guides should have a video suplement.

i actually used some of your stuff...on accident this weekend.
I was shinespked and the pktb i think thats what you called it saved me.

Also i did that thing where you thunder right as they smash you and you dont go anywhere and you attack them... very cool stuff

could you give me some advice on tailwhipping? Thats my biggest underdeveloped ness skill? How do i practice it? Can i do it on a staitionary person? How whould i curve it so that only the tail hits them??

Wow simna im impressed! I would like to play you sometime where do you live?

dan smith

Smash Champion
Check the Ness Finder to figure out where Simna lives! Haha...

The most useful thing on the vid, in my opinion, is the one where you shoot the PK Thunder right before you get hit and then tech out of it. (I forget it's name...)

I have known about this for a long time and tried using it...but I never got that good. I am convinced it could become useful though, I guess I should practice with it more. Also, full range PKT2 on the ground is cool, I have never tried to do it that way..but then again...I rarely use PKT2 on the ground.

Still awesome.

Lt. Killjoy

Smash Ace
I've only seen Joshu play in vids, but I'd still give the title to Simna.

I'm glad you guys like my banner, General Fox made the new one! :D

I think we should all use similiar banners.... that way people would be like, "Hey, what the hell are they talking about?" Then we could show them Simna's vid, and they'd be all like, "HOLY ****! TOP TIER THAT CHARACTER NOW!!!!"

That would rock!

Anyway, I'll try to post the link to my sweet *** banner if anyone else want's to use it.

EDIT: take out the spaces and Sig away!

dan smith

Smash Champion
Haha, I already asked Jamo to make me a Yo-yo Glitch banner. It might take a while but it will be worth it.

YYG represent.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Love the banner! I might make one in the future^_^

Thanks again, Dan and Lonely for making the discovery. I'm gonna be playing at MLG San Francisco on Feb. 26. I'm teaming with ender for the 2v2 teams tournament and YYG is gonna be our ace.

Wish us luck, plz!^_^

dan smith

Smash Champion
Good luck, show the world the power of the YYG.

If you can you should make vids! You are the public relations manager of the Ness forum. :chuckle:

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
LOL

HAHAHAHAHAHA, you guys talk about the yoyo glitch as if it was some broken tech. lol, wow never thought ness players were so desperate that as soon as somthing is learned bad or worst ness players would be all over it...silly ness players :D .

LonelyNess

Smash Cadet
hmm

That maybe be true that we're desperate or trying to just find something to finnaly win...

But when was the last time something brand new was discovered about the game?

It must be at least a year since almost everything in the game became public knowledge... wave sliding...ic glitches ect...

Anyway its refreshing to see new stuff. And it rekindles some passion for playing ness.

And its awesome.

Besides when was the last time you discovered something new about your character, Thomas Tipman?

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
lol its funny you ask that, like a week and a half ago i learned a cool tech.

oh and did you guys know that ness fowards smash has like 3 frames were if you hit him you'll take damage as a counter effect? i havent seemn it mentioned on the ness forum so since we're on the suject of neew stuff i figured id bring that up.

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
nope, i bearly play ness and when i do i just PKT *** blast myself all over the place. i was messin with AR and was looking at ness' hitboxes when i noticed a green hitbox around the front part of his body during his foward smash (green hitbox means counter hitbox). so i timed an attack to test the hitboxes reaction and DK (ironically) went flying to his death (he was at 120% so no madd tech there). i would guess this would be helpfull in a melee since you manage to get attack out of nowhere during attacks but its not so usefull. actually if you guys want i can post a pic of what it looks like?

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
YYG deserves the attention its getting...because we all know there is more about it than what we already know. I doubt we know half of what there is to know about it.

Its a wonderful ability, but I'll have you know I was pushing for a top tier Ness before its discovery.

LonelyNess

Smash Cadet
yeah the bat does have a green part right infront of ness's body...

That is what gives the bat its reflecting power, but i would never use this a a reflection after seeing it on AR.

The green line is on ness's body ... so your bat timming has to be perfect. It it hits the regular part of the bat it wont reflect... This is why ness and also reflect backwards with the bat..its on his body not the bat.

BUt i would rather powershield...i end up getting hit more than i do reflect when i try the bat..

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
Originally posted by Simna ibn Sind
YYG deserves the attention its getting...because we all know there is more about it than what we already know. I doubt we know half of what there is to know about it.

Its a wonderful ability, but I'll have you know I was pushing for a top tier Ness before its discovery.
come on you cant be serious, YYG is barely practical the only time ive ever noticed it as a potential useful tech was on a low % falco just because he was at low % and it happend. its not like you could do the glitch left and right let alone have someone walk right into a fully charged yoyo. nothing wrong with aiming for top tier (who isnt) but a glitch like this is the last thing thats gonna take ness there. now PKT thats the trick.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Like I said there is more to YYG than we know about. Also, with enough practice it can be managed in 1v1 as a useful tactic. The way to manipulate this was discovered just earlier month; people will discover new setups and ways to manage it. Aside from 1v1s, YYG can be pulled off left and right in Team matches(FF-on).

dan smith

Smash Champion
Go dig a hole and die in it.

Well Thomas Tipman you have made quite a statement.

You say that the YYG is barely practical.

Almost all of the serious Ness players on this board have pulled off the YYG in a competitive match. I have, it's not that hard and it is extremely powerful...

So, NO Thomas Tipman...it's not too difficult to use. Just because you can't do something dosen't mean everybody else shares your ineptitude.

It is also something to be excited about but more importantly it is something we don't understand fully.

What you stated, the green hitbox, is something that ISN'T new. I use the bat to reflect projectiles all the time, WOW THANKS FOR THE INFO DUDE.

You learned a cool tech recently with your character? You LEARNED a tech? So...you didn't discover something at all. You learned something, probably something everybody else already knows...

What did you learn? How to Cancel Falco Phantasm? How to Bomb Jump?

You say we have the right to aim for the top tier, **** the top tier. We don't want to be there. We want to own YOU and everybody else with Ness, a low tier character, and justify our choice to ignore the status quo.

Stop spamming ingorance.

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
ignorant spamming? how is this spam? im just saying how the YYG is nothing to go insane about, it aint gonna be game breaking to ness' game. OMG YOU YYG THAT DK!!!!! AT 250%, YOU DA MAN! enough with the sarcasim, the YYG is cool i wont lie but its not somthing thats soo insane. and the green hitbox was somthing i didnt know about and havent seen it mentioned so i figured id throw it out there. im not spammin im just sayin YYG isnt as practical as you guys make it out to be.

on a side note do you know stan smith?

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Tipman....you sound like you haven't actually read the YYG thread. Many characters can be glitched at any percent.

Can we not turn this into an argument tho...

We should at least move this discussion into the YYG thread.

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
sorry bout that simna

stan smith got in my face for nothing.....FOR NOTHING! *runs away sobbing*:(

PKT edge guard on fox was cool in your vid. now anytime someone picks fox i get owned with ness but i try to do it atleast once.

Dark_Fire

Smash Ace
Originally posted by Simna ibn Sind
Like I said there is more to YYG than we know about. Also, with enough practice it can be managed in 1v1 as a useful tactic. The way to manipulate this was discovered just earlier month; people will discover new setups and ways to manage it. Aside from 1v1s, YYG can be pulled off left and right in Team matches(FF-on).
Yeah, it's really powerful in team matches...but your teammate needs to know about it, and needs to know when to walk into it.

As for the YYG itself and actually being used in 1v1 tourney matches, it takes too much time and (only idiots/people who don't know about it) would run into it in a competitive match...Though, if someone were to run into the YYG, they would either hit the hitbox or run into it...and even if they purposely didn't run into it, they wouldn't DI away, destroying the hitbox...or running into the yoyo when it unwinded, possibly hitting them which would mess up the glitch.

Yes, YYG is awesome, but no number of set-ups/mind games will ever help the YYG for the reasons stated above, until it can be used effectivly...like, being able to place the hitbox on the edge of FD (aka used an edge guard) it will be a useless tech to master.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Yeah, I agree Simna, the YYG thread spill over into this thread is terrible. It might be partially a product of the discussion involving your video.

Either way it has it's own place to go...this thead is for PK Thunder related conversation only.

Lt. Killjoy

Smash Ace
Just out of curiousity (I don't know if I missed it in this thread or not) Does anyone know how much of a difference in distance their is between the new way to use thunder and the old one? Is there even a difference? To me it seems like it, but I'm not sure. Any info here would be nice.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Most people say its shorter in SSBM, but in truth its immeasurable. For all we can tell they are the same distance. In order to measure it we would need both Nesses in the same game in the same stage at the same time. There is a very visible size difference between the games that makes it immeasurable. Take note of the differences in sizes of Dream Land 64 and the Great Fox while compared to character size in each smash game.

I know I'm spouting useless crap, but its the truth. If you wanna go to a land where PK Thunder feels longer then by all means play smash64.

If you still don't understand what I'm getting at, play tiny melee. now do a PK Thunder2. Feel any different?

Lt. Killjoy

Smash Ace
Very nice explanation, I get what your saying. Yeah, it does seem longer in the first one, but then again, the first one sucks by comparison. I played the first one recently after playing Melee for a long time, and I was just sittin there thinking wow.... Ness's moves suck in this one! His PK shove is crap and his fair is crap! Sure his thunder is better by comparison, but then look at how ****ty all of the other recoveries were in SSB. For example, look at Links recovery in both games! His recovery in melee far outstrips his recovery in the original. I think that Ness's may have been left alone and goes the same distance. It just seems like he isn't going as far because most of the other characters have recoveries that go further than in the first game. I could be wrong though.

(P.S. I was just trying to get back to talking about thunder)

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
this may be a dumb question but can a floorblast do any damage? im crappy at aiming the PKT so when i try to false edge guard (oooooh buddy is that fun) i occasionally end up floor blasting and in my mind im like wtf. since i mess up so ofen i figured hey maybe try to do damage with it till i thought, can you do damage with it?

dan smith

Smash Champion
If the NME is right below you...yeah...it would deal damage. Plus if they are at low % and don't fly very far you might be able to tech and hit them with the flex kick.

Super combo!

Weather the explosion does any extra damage, the fire that is, I don't think so. (?)

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
If you are floorblasting while attempting PK2FE then it won't damage them at all. The only time floorblast can hurt an nme is if its done from the air and they are below you(like dan said)...otherwise...hit A while u are down to attack(what dan called flex-kick)

dan smith

Smash Champion
There is no offcial name for the attacks characters execute when they are comming back from a ledge grab or teching...but they are more of a reflex than an actual move...so I call them Flex-Kicks. (a joke on sex-kicks)

I would like it if the term spread, for the sake of ease.

Lt. Killjoy

Smash Ace
Ok, I got to play smash today for the first time in a long while. I was messing around with PK Thunder and all of the sudden the little sparks were still around me. Even after the thunder had run out. It stayed like this untill I used thunder again, then the sparks went away. I couldn't replicate it and I was wondering if anyone else has ever had it happen to them. If so, that would be a pretty sweet taunt....

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
Wait what? More Ness glitches? I've never had that happen to me but it would be a pretty sweet taunt.

Where were you when it happened? Did you hit yourself with it? I'm assuming so. Grr.. I don't even have enough time for the YYG let alone cool sparks.

dan smith

Smash Champion
I like your new Avatar Matunas...EarthBound is way better than Metroid.

I am pretty sure he is talking about the Static Glitch...

If you PK Thunder yourseld straight down into the stage (very easy to do) you will be surrounded with cool looking sparks. The effect last until you PK Thunder, Sheild, or any other cool and important non A move.

A section on this glitch should be included in the guide Simna...

Top Bottom