• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Uhhh... they're fairly hidden, I guess. I know where Shulk's are, along with one for Melia, Dunban and Sharla but that's it. You are correct in that usually one character will have to initiate the quests, and it's usually at the end of a quest line. At the very least I can say you have the right mindset in searching for them. None are missable, I believe. But when you think about it, there's 14 skill trees to earn as extras, and (if I recall correctly) 400+ quests. They're in (reasonably) sensible places for each character, but you'll still have to acknowledge that there's a lot of quests you might have to do to find them. Some might be accessible after certain levels of Colony 6's reconstruction but I don't really remember. It's been a while :laugh:
Well one of Sharla's trees is definitely after Colony 6's almost complete reconstruction or atleast after the Core. I always kept building the colony continuously so can't differentiate. I guess it does require some more housing though.

I think one of Reyn's route is also in colony 6, the one involving the cooks.

In my opinion Dunban's tree at Valak mountain is the hardest to find. I just stumbled upon it by accident, same with Seven's first tree although the latter is probably the easiest to find.

It does take quite some time to max out everyone's skill trees especially Seven's due to the extreme late nature of the character. Well worth it though, makes the superbosses quite a cakewalk as well (except in cases of bad luck though).

Last edited:
I spoiled myself even more with Xenoblade X......'s soundtrack

"Your Voice" is amazing. Oh my god

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
All of them are amazing!

Although you should be careful since 1-2 track names are sorta spoilerific (I think...). They are near the end of the listing though.

Excited since my exams are almost over and Xenoblade will launch right after them! Winter Vacation here I come!

Hopefully it is as faithful as possible to the Japanese version since some rumours of 8-4 editing stuff in the game (odd name changes + removal of some Xenosaga references I believe) sort of concern me. Minor changes but changes nonetheless.

Last edited:

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
I couldn't help but pre-order the collectors guide as well... Bye wallet. :skull:

Last edited:

TrueSapphire

Smash Apprentice
After watching around 70 videos in Spectator Mode of:4shulk:players in For Glory in which 3 of them won, doesn't:4shulk:became the new holder of the worst win ratio after :4littlemac:with the latest patches ?
So...you're relying on Spectator Mode to reach that conclusion instead of public data results from Sakurai? Just staying, there are good Shulk players and Little Mac players in there; they're rare to encounter. :ohwell:

I still play For Glory since the beginning, and I still have good results. Almost the majority of my results are Shulk as my main.

FG Results 3.jpg

My other online Shulk results:

11546 battles
10220 wins
1222 losses
415 hours of playtime
I played Shulk 94% of the time

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172

TrueSapphire

Smash Apprentice
For those interested...

http://operationrainfall.com/2015/11/26/xenoblade-chronicles-x-full-english-cast-revealed/

I'm planning to make a big post to go [elsewhere] that also lists 2-3 other works of each person. I always find it fun to match voices across games and anime like that. I'll share it here too, once I finish.

Pleased to see Adam Howden and Carina Reeves (Shulk and Fiora's voice actors) are potential Avatar voices!
That's funny...because I already complied my list of all of the voice actors of Cross! :laugh:

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
So...you're relying on Spectator Mode to reach that conclusion instead of public data results from Sakurai? Just staying, there are good Shulk players and Little Mac players in there; they're rare to encounter. :ohwell:

I still play For Glory since the beginning, and I still have good results. Almost the majority of my results are Shulk as my main.

View attachment 84834

My other online Shulk results:

11546 battles
10220 wins
1222 losses
415 hours of playtime
I played Shulk 94% of the time
Man, hopefully one day I'll be able to reach those heights... My Shulk usage is closer to something like 65% of the time, with Robin filling in most of the rest.

I'm currently hovering in the 53% zone, though... That said, my internet is super laggy as of late, so results are rather screwed.... I've been cheated out of recovery way more than I should be or lagged into a Smash attack, but oh well. My fault for trying, lol.

Real talk though, in-person my results are far better. Never placed lower than top half, usually get top third in local tourneys. Hopefully, I can improve on that in a couple days at the next monthly. Also, at the place I go to college, I can confidently say I'm at least the second best Smash 4 player there, and I haven't played the recognized best for like, five months.

In less than I month I can start playing Xenoblade Chronicles!

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Man...I love starting like every weekly post here with "I can't poost hurr cuzz irl probluuumz".
Anyway. ZeRo made a Shulk analysis video...I say he's 75/25 with it. I'm (sadly) agreeing with the fact that there's barely any Shulk players out there and that slow characters are like no threat to Shulk. Then there's when he said characters like Sonic and Pikachu kill Shulk...I have like no problem with Sonic *cough* Countering Neutral B *unconvincing cough* and Pikachu only when they glue down there B button...even then there's counter and jump MA. I'm kinda confused on why he didn't mention Shulk needing better frame data. Also kinda confused on why he didn't mention shield MA either. Oh well. It's ZeRo. He's most likely more right then me.
He also complimented us Shulk mains as being really nice and determined with Shulk.
Oh yea. I'm also gonna try to be more involved with the Shulk community and help out and test stuff more.

Last edited:

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Man...I love starting like every weekly post here with "I can't poost hurr cuzz irl probluuumz".
Anyway. ZeRo made a Shulk analysis video...I say he's 75/25 with it. I'm (sadly) agreeing with the fact that there's barely any Shulk players out there and that slow characters are like no threat to Shulk. Then there's when he said characters like Sonic and Pikachu kill Shulk...I have like no problem with Sonic *cough* Countering Neutral B *unconvincing cough* and Pikachu only when they glue down there B button...even then there's counter and jump MA. I'm kinda confused on why he didn't mention Shulk needing better frame data. Also kinda confused on why he didn't mention shield MA either. Oh well. It's ZeRo. He's most likely more right then me.
He also complimented us Shulk mains as being really nice and determined with Shulk.
Oh yea. I'm also gonna try to be more involved with the Shulk community and help out and test stuff more.
I wouldn't take everything he says to be true just because he's a better player. Still, he did raise a lot of good points.

Honestly, I feel as if Shield is the last Art a Shulk player masters. I feel like I struggle the most to play well in Shield, but I'm learning. Jump and Smash come next for difficulty, Buster and Speed seem to be harder to go wrong with. (That's not to say you can't seriously yams stuff up in those arts though...) Maybe that's why Zero didn't spend much time on it: he hasn't played around enough with it. (Or maybe he just never gets to high enough percents to need it. :troll:)

Yeah, Sonic and Pikachu are just MUs with a steep learning curve. Personally, though, I prefer to use Robin against Sonic. But that's just me. Meta Knight is harder, methinks, though I've beaten some decent players too. I wouldn't think it's too much to say most MUs are just learning curves to Shulk. With proper Art usage, we can almost be anything we want. That versatility gives us options for most of the cast, with some exceptions that are tough-as-nails anyway. But I really don't feel there are any "impossible" MUs, which is cool. And at least ZeRo acknowledged that Shulk has an advantage against ZSS, which is something I've felt for a while now.

Tomorrow, I must once again challenge the island's Sheik...

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't take everything he says to be true just because he's a better player. Still, he did raise a lot of good points.

Honestly, I feel as if Shield is the last Art a Shulk player masters. I feel like I struggle the most to play well in Shield, but I'm learning. Jump and Smash come next for difficulty, Buster and Speed seem to be harder to go wrong with. (That's not to say you can't seriously yams stuff up in those arts though...) Maybe that's why Zero didn't spend much time on it: he hasn't played around enough with it. (Or maybe he just never gets to high enough percents to need it. :troll:)

Yeah, Sonic and Pikachu are just MUs with a steep learning curve. Personally, though, I prefer to use Robin against Sonic. But that's just me. Meta Knight is harder, methinks, though I've beaten some decent players too. I wouldn't think it's too much to say most MUs are just learning curves to Shulk. With proper Art usage, we can almost be anything we want. That versatility gives us options for most of the cast, with some exceptions that are tough-as-nails anyway. But I really don't feel there are any "impossible" MUs, which is cool. And at least ZeRo acknowledged that Shulk has an advantage against ZSS, which is something I've felt for a while now.

Tomorrow, I must once again challenge the island's Sheik...
To me ,Zero skill spamus...OOPS DID I SAY OUTLOUD!?!?! is a bad match up for me no matter who I play as. Same with (Toon)Link, and Rosalina+luma. Where my pent up anger and frustration just explodes upon seeing those characters. I call them my Unholy Trinity. ZSS with her easy bake combos, (T)Link with nothing but arrows, boomerangs, and bombs along with waaaay over powered smash attacks,and Rosalina with her army of poor lumas getting mutilated because Rosa is too scared to fight alone. It's something I need to control so I can continue to grow and develop my skills. I have enough anger in my life as is. I don't need something that allows me to forget about my angers to BECOME some of my anger. Aaaanyway. Forget my life story. Shulk is indeed very diverse which is something I love in anything not just video games. His MA are very powerful, especially buster. A 40% more damage increase!? Jeez. An attack that normally would do lets say...30% of damage. With buster it instead would do 42%...wow...just wow. I don't use buster BTW. Don't exactly like magically reverting into the skill of a 7 year old any time I activate that art then taking about 80% of damage.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
To me ,Zero skill spamus...OOPS DID I SAY OUTLOUD!?!?! is a bad match up for me no matter who I play as. Same with (Toon)Link, and Rosalina+luma. Where my pent up anger and frustration just explodes upon seeing those characters. I call them my Unholy Trinity. ZSS with her easy bake combos, (T)Link with nothing but arrows, boomerangs, and bombs along with waaaay over powered smash attacks,and Rosalina with her army of poor lumas getting mutilated because Rosa is too scared to fight alone. It's something I need to control so I can continue to grow and develop my skills. I have enough anger in my life as is. I don't need something that allows me to forget about my angers to BECOME some of my anger. Aaaanyway. Forget my life story. Shulk is indeed very diverse which is something I love in anything not just video games. His MA are very powerful, especially buster. A 40% more damage increase!? Jeez. An attack that normally would do lets say...30% of damage. With buster it instead would do 42%...wow...just wow. I don't use buster BTW. Don't exactly like magically reverting into the skill of a 7 year old any time I activate that art then taking about 80% of damage.
Well, hopefully I can help a bit there.

The easiest thing to do in Buster is to go ham on the opponent, which is NOT GOOD. You don't have the frames for it, especially against the three characters you mentioned. Instead, bait and punish. You'll still rack up tons of damage on them, rather than on yourself. Some people advocate either Buster or Smash against Luma, and while I personally prefer Buster, mixing it up is good. Mostly, Smash doesn't have the power to really stun Luma except WITH a smash attack, which is risky as heck. It really doesn't take many hits in Buster to pop Luma, and usually you'll have enough Buster left to take advantage of Luma's absence to make up for the time spent playing defensively. Just for the love of God be careful around her janky dash attack (FAir cancels it... I think), and don't let her juggle you. IF you start getting juggled, fast-fall and airdodge to get past her, with some drifting to either side.

I have a friend who plays an annoying Tink, and I agree that it's a creepy MU. Usually I go for Speed against projectile campers, but here I usually start in Jump, as Toon can spam projectiles faster than your SH in Speed. Keep mixing up with grabs or attacks as you approach, sometimes land behind him if possible should he start punishing with that awful FSmash. Spot dodging helps against his grab too. Smash Air Slash OoS is marvelous after blocking a smash from them.

ZSS... mobility, NAir, FAir, and UTilt are your most powerful tools. The endlag on her grab is worse than most of our lag, so spot-dodge and punish like a boss. Buster should only be used if you get in, but deactivate it fast if things turn sour. She will go for DThrow -> UAir/UpB, DI smartly. She takes forever in the air, and likes to jump a lot, so either challenge with Jump or catch her with UTilt. I'm really feeling the UAir love lately too. <3

Hope this helps!

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
Do you guys think the price of Xenoblade Chronicles X will rise after some time the way the price of Xenoblade Chronicles did?

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Well, hopefully I can help a bit there.

The easiest thing to do in Buster is to go ham on the opponent, which is NOT GOOD. You don't have the frames for it, especially against the three characters you mentioned. Instead, bait and punish. You'll still rack up tons of damage on them, rather than on yourself. Some people advocate either Buster or Smash against Luma, and while I personally prefer Buster, mixing it up is good. Mostly, Smash doesn't have the power to really stun Luma except WITH a smash attack, which is risky as heck. It really doesn't take many hits in Buster to pop Luma, and usually you'll have enough Buster left to take advantage of Luma's absence to make up for the time spent playing defensively. Just for the love of God be careful around her janky dash attack (FAir cancels it... I think), and don't let her juggle you. IF you start getting juggled, fast-fall and airdodge to get past her, with some drifting to either side.

I have a friend who plays an annoying Tink, and I agree that it's a creepy MU. Usually I go for Speed against projectile campers, but here I usually start in Jump, as Toon can spam projectiles faster than your SH in Speed. Keep mixing up with grabs or attacks as you approach, sometimes land behind him if possible should he start punishing with that awful FSmash. Spot dodging helps against his grab too. Smash Air Slash OoS is marvelous after blocking a smash from them.

ZSS... mobility, NAir, FAir, and UTilt are your most powerful tools. The endlag on her grab is worse than most of our lag, so spot-dodge and punish like a boss. Buster should only be used if you get in, but deactivate it fast if things turn sour. She will go for DThrow -> UAir/UpB, DI smartly. She takes forever in the air, and likes to jump a lot, so either challenge with Jump or catch her with UTilt. I'm really feeling the UAir love lately too. <3

Hope this helps!
My main issues with Rosalina is the luma. They immediately smack out luma and just mash every button on the controller SOMEHOW hitting me for like 60% or so before it dies. When the luma kicks the bucket Rosalina runs away and seems to turn on some kind of airdodge and shield robot so they always dodge everything. Her recovery move is also quite a bit op.
Issues with Links. Spams all projectiles.
Issues with ZZS. Op up B and paralyzes.
I've gotten better with dealing with them. Like with Rosa I play Ike instead. Not sure why Ike is my Rosa repellent but if it works. ZZS I play Normal samus, the one that takes SOME skill. And Links I'm not sure. Every link i fight leaves after the first fight. Backslash from above seems to work surprisingly a lot against links.

Link's fastest option on the ground is his jab which is frame 7. Just jab him when you get up close. Dash to shield works wonders against his projectiles, especially with speed art. Buster art at mid-range is also great against Link. Be wary though of his grab because that **** reaches far. Jump art is pretty good but every single SH-aerial approach (that Shulk has) loses to Link's u-smash. If Link whiffs an aerial, that's a free jump art punish, plus he's combo bait which is why jump art has a bit of a purpose in the match-up

With Rosalina, just space correctly against luma and you'll do fine. Always make sure to use mobility arts once Rosalina is left alone because she's gonna run away and stall for time to luma to spawn. From there, it's all up to you to read the movements of the Rosalina player

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
There's a really good Rosa in my scene but somehow throughout the course of the entire year, I've not come across him in a tournament. Can't offer much help there... for Toon Link I'll second that Speed running-shielding is great. Up-close, remember that you outrange him in pretty much any non-projectile attack but keep in mind how quickly he can move.

I've really gotta learn what to do against ZSS, Falcon and Sheik one of these days... I have some of the theory for Sheik but none of the practise. I have practise for Falcon (so many Falcons in my scene) but no theory. I have war flashbacks every time someone picks ZSS. I very rarely have a good time against her.

Do you guys think the price of Xenoblade Chronicles X will rise after some time the way the price of Xenoblade Chronicles did?
Nah. That was only priced so high because it was poorly stocked but got incredibly high reviews. I think Nintendo will be on their game this time. No pun intended. Nopon intended.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Link's fastest option on the ground is his jab which is frame 7. Just jab him when you get up close. Dash to shield works wonders against his projectiles, especially with speed art. Buster art at mid-range is also great against Link. Be wary though of his grab because that **** reaches far. Jump art is pretty good but every single SH-aerial approach (that Shulk has) loses to Link's u-smash. If Link whiffs an aerial, that's a free jump art punish, plus he's combo bait which is why jump art has a bit of a purpose in the match-up

With Rosalina, just space correctly against luma and you'll do fine. Always make sure to use mobility arts once Rosalina is left alone because she's gonna run away and stall for time to luma to spawn. From there, it's all up to you to read the movements of the Rosalina player
Thanks for help. I never thought of staying on the ground against (T)link.
Also a few days ago I was on fg playing as Shulk and I ran into another Shulk player. I thought "Oh cool, a fellow smasher that is really feeling it. He's most likely not good though..." The first thing he did was turn on speed MA. I then thought "He's better then 95% of other Shulks on fg." After that was said me and him had our fight. By the near of the ens of the fight I was winning with me at around 30-ish% second stock with my opponent at 90-ish% second stock. I hit him off the stage. Naturally I slap on the Jump MA and pursuit him trying to hit him with a f-air which would end him as he wouldn't recover. He does a down air (I'm above him slightly when he does this) and it barely hits when it really shouldn't of hit. It the time between the first and second hit of the move, I remembered that the sweet spot is around the mid-bottom of the blade. I was above Shulk himself and the Monado. He spikes me....I do not understand how that hit me let alone spiking me.Even though i was a bit salty from that spike and him being a good Shulk I still gave him a GG and he returned it. So how did he spike me when I was very clearly above him?

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I played a few games today. Out of 20 games, not a single one lost.
... to be fair, I felt like playing against young kids.

Side b wario spamm/bowser jr. spam, or up b spam...

Anyways, gave my chances to play a bit more risky and around with jump monado. Shulk's offstage game isn't too bad to be honest. Just can't use reverse air slash...
The toon link spam I had to face today aswell. I feel you Monado Master Monado Master .

Last edited:

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
I played a few games today. Out of 20 games, not a single one lost.
... to be fair, I felt like playing against young kids.

Side b wario spamm/bowser jr. spam, or up b spam...

Anyways, gave my chances to play a bit more risky and around with jump monado. Shulk's offstage game isn't too bad to be honest. Just can't use reverse air slash...
The toon link spam I had to face today aswell. I feel you Monado Master Monado Master .
I beat you weren't really feeling that match tho.
Today I've fought a Kirby that did nothing but side B...and I lost...I felt ashamed. I then destroyed him about 15 times in a row with Little Mac.

I wanna have a talk with the developer who thought that it was a fantastic idea to make all of Link's special moves projectiles. Although projectiles are great and all, Link's projectiles (notably bow and arrow) lack synergy. Hell, you could replace one of them with a melee attack (helm splitter, or something) but that's not the only problem with Link's design. His frame data sucks and I'm not sure why it has to be bad in the first place

or... just make Link similar to P:M Link

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Toon Link is really good, and Link is an annoying Noob character, but a bad skilled character.

meleebrawler meleebrawler How many characters do you play? We seem to run into each other everywhere...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
His frame data sucks and I'm not sure why it has to be bad in the first place
:marth::metaknight:
Be thankful he at least has power to match.

Toon Link is really good, and Link is an annoying Noob character, but a bad skilled character.

meleebrawler meleebrawler How many characters do you play? We seem to run into each other everywhere...
Get ready for a huge list *deep breath*

All of the fatties, the DLC characters (with Mewtwo being my main obviously), the Mario Bros. (emphasis on :4drmario:), :4samus:,:4megaman:, :4zelda:, :4shulk:, :4duckhunt:, :4falco:, :4gaw:, :4bowserjr:, :4pacman:, :4palutena: and :4robinm: *whew*.

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
If you're looking for a very detailed review of Xenoblade Chronicles X that is spoiler free, GameXplain has you covered. It's a 27 minute review that greatly expands on the various aspects that the game has to offer, and easily the best review I've seen thus far.

A GRAND DESTINY AWAITS!!! :happysheep::4shulk::happysheep:

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Welp, even though I scrubbed out majorly yesterday (too... tired... not... enough... practice), the former Shulk main on that side of the island tried doing some dittos with me... And I beat him 2-1. They were pretty close, I wasn't near my best, but he was trying way too hard to get the FAir -> FAir -> Air Slash combo to the edge of the screen.

At least I can still 2-0 the players on FG who lose to me and then try beating me with Shulk for disrespect.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Toon Link is a pretty solid character, and to give Link his due, he's a hell of a lot better in Smash 4 than he ever has been. ('cept maybe 64, I've never seen 64 competitive scene).

9B :4ryu: The legendary Brawl Ice Climbers player! He broke out with Ryu at Umebura F.A.T. but has finished disappointingly low since.
From one of the front-page articles. I remember hearing that 9B was an excellent Shulk player and seeing a couple of videos - I'd hoped he'd have kept on with him because I wanted to see some excellent Shulk play. Seeing Ryu's icon makes me a little sad. RIP in pieces.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Toon Link is a pretty solid character, and to give Link his due, he's a hell of a lot better in Smash 4 than he ever has been. ('cept maybe 64, I've never seen 64 competitive scene).

From one of the front-page articles. I remember hearing that 9B was an excellent Shulk player and seeing a couple of videos - I'd hoped he'd have kept on with him because I wanted to see some excellent Shulk play. Seeing Ryu's icon makes me a little sad. RIP in pieces.
64 Link could 0-death people, but so could everyone in that game. Otherwise he was really slow and had one of the worst recoveries in the entire series, possibly even worse than Little Mac's.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I remember his up-B going up a little and then just dropping like a rock. Good times, good times.

Rawbinator

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HypothesisTest
Speaking of the Links, I got Dair windboxed a few days ago on FG. Seems like the windbox got me right before the AS 2 so I didn't grab the ledge

For XCX, it's gonna be so hard working on Friday. I wonder if there will be any XCX smash content? To take a wild guess, a Skell Mii costume maybe? A stage + music would be cool too, or maybe they could just add music to Gaur Plains

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
If you're looking for a very detailed review of Xenoblade Chronicles X that is spoiler free, GameXplain has you covered. It's a 27 minute review that greatly expands on the various aspects that the game has to offer, and easily the best review I've seen thus far.

A GRAND DESTINY AWAITS!!! :happysheep::4shulk::happysheep:

That video explained the game mechanics in an infinitely better way than the Survival Guide in my opinion. Now I'm hyped. 27 minutes well spent.

Also, I'm surprised that GameSpot gave it an 8. I mean, it's not a well written review or anything, and their credibility is still lost at sea, but still. An 8 from GameSpot is surprising indeed.

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Tomorrow I will hold Xenoblade Chronicles X in my hands. Finally.
I went unspoilered...!

Also, Shulk is just too much fun... I really am thrilled to fight against cloud to show who's our real blonde jrpg protagonist.
... and hope for better framedata at clouds implementation.

Top Bottom