• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
I cannot believe it. NoA is actually rubbing the salt in our wounds regarding Xenoblade X through Twitter.

They didn't even give us a release window yet they pull this ****?
On Japan's release day no less, they pull this...
Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/593142711655489536
... And I'm supposed to be mad about this why?
I'm just glad they're doing something to promote the game in the west. Even if it is just small stuff so far. Gives me hope they'll really roll out the red carpet closer to launch.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I had a friend show me Gunvolt last night, recognised some characters from some avatars here.
I might pick it up, it looks really cool. At the same time I really have to kill off my backlog, I have way too many unopened games.
I think I'll do Shulk's frame data next :secretkpop:

Edit: Does anyone have Monado standalone kanji pictures??????????????

important
Looking for the Smash Bros. ones, I assume? This covers Speed/Shield/Buster, but I get the feeling you're after the bright Smash ones.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Ok guys, i've been bored looking for Xenoblade X spoilers, and i saw one possible (assuming it's not a lie) story line course for the game, so here it is:

In short:

>The Growth NEED Mira clean for the coming of their God
>Humanity pretty much killed itself by denying to give up the DM Engine, and a few also saw profit to be reaped from the destruction of Earth, especially in a political and historical viewpoint
>The "DM Engine" is pretty much a f***ing Zohar, stands for Deus Ex Machina engine
>A big part of the story is a series of coincidental events that seem to be flowing way too well, the whole story revolves around humanity's seemingly endless deus ex machina solutions to itchy situations and the protagonist
>Elma does indeed go rogue from BLADE after figuring out why the escape from Earth wasn't better constructed, why it could've taken much less and more people could've been saved, not to mention the Life doesn't even contain humans to begin with, just rare/rich resources and alien technology
>Lao, Irina, Ru and Doug follow her
>The rest of the party stays with BLADE
>You choose which side you join
>Both paths end up with Elma getting shot
>Lao turns into a Telethia
>You decide who rules NLA, if either Nagi or Richard, after it's retaken
>s*** gets really HYPE with conflicts
>The god knows you're just a player, calls you out and begins f***ing with your perception of reality
>Mira's ecosystem then becomes, as a whole, an anti-human mechanism
>You end up nuking Mira, and all its innocent lifeforms within, realizing human nature is to simply destroy everything in front of it, then move forward
>And that's exactly what everyone does, they have to survive
>End

I'm taking this one with a grain of salt, but given how dark Xenoblade got and how serious this game seems to be, i could see this happening.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Well... Just no. Day 1 dlcis bad. DLC as sort of expansion packs, yes, so much yes. BUT NO DAY 1 DLC!
Pls don't. :<
I don't mind this DLC considering the game is out in Japan today. They might have been unable to add the content after the game was ready. Not all day one DLC is content held back from the game. I will probably get it though, looks fine by me, new characters and new skells!

Ok guys, i've been bored looking for Xenoblade X spoilers, and i saw one possible (assuming it's not a lie) story line course for the game, so here it is:

In short:

>The Growth NEED Mira clean for the coming of their God
>Humanity pretty much killed itself by denying to give up the DM Engine, and a few also saw profit to be reaped from the destruction of Earth, especially in a political and historical viewpoint
>The "DM Engine" is pretty much a f***ing Zohar, stands for Deus Ex Machina engine
>A big part of the story is a series of coincidental events that seem to be flowing way too well, the whole story revolves around humanity's seemingly endless deus ex machina solutions to itchy situations and the protagonist
>Elma does indeed go rogue from BLADE after figuring out why the escape from Earth wasn't better constructed, why it could've taken much less and more people could've been saved, not to mention the Life doesn't even contain humans to begin with, just rare/rich resources and alien technology
>Lao, Irina, Ru and Doug follow her
>The rest of the party stays with BLADE
>You choose which side you join
>Both paths end up with Elma getting shot
>Lao turns into a Telethia
>You decide who rules NLA, if either Nagi or Richard, after it's retaken
>s*** gets really HYPE with conflicts
>The god knows you're just a player, calls you out and begins f***ing with your perception of reality
>Mira's ecosystem then becomes, as a whole, an anti-human mechanism
>You end up nuking Mira, and all its innocent lifeforms within, realizing human nature is to simply destroy everything in front of it, then move forward
>And that's exactly what everyone does, they have to survive
>End

I'm taking this one with a grain of salt, but given how dark Xenoblade got and how serious this game seems to be, i could see this happening.
Wait what?

I doubt it. Very much. Xenoblade was dark, but not quite this dark.

Is this the storyline from what players have said or is it is just a mashed up player hypothesis with the story start of the game? People already beat the game (except reviewers I mean)?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't mind this DLC considering the game is out in Japan today. They might have been unable to add the content after the game was ready. Not all day one DLC is content held back from the game. I will probably get it though, looks fine by me, new characters and new skells!

Wait what?

I doubt it. Very much. Xenoblade was dark, but not quite this dark.

Is this the storyline from what players have said or is it is just a mashed up player hypothesis with the story start of the game? People already beat the game (except reviewers I mean)?
one possible (assuming it's not a lie)

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Fire Emblem, why you so amazing? It's going to take a stupidly high amount of quality to surpass Fire Emblem and Golden Sun as my favourite RPGS, XenoX, you better deliver!
I don't think it will pass Golden Sun for me, that is a very nostalgic spot for me.

Although it might come and equal with Xenoblade Chronicles which is 3rd on my list. Or maybe even usurp its position.

1) Golden Sun
2) Chrono Trigger
3) Xenoblade Chronicles

I don't consider Fire Emblem as a typical JRPG so it doesn't come in this list. That's a separate tactical RPG list.

Edit: Found some cool XenoX wallpapers, nice but not amazingly amazing yet though.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ls_on_these_xenoblade_chronicles_x_wallpapers

Still be HYPED! :p

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't think it will pass Golden Sun for me, that is a very nostalgic spot for me.

Although it might come and equal with Xenoblade Chronicles which is 3rd on my list. Or maybe even usurp its position.

1) Golden Sun
2) Chrono Trigger
3) Xenoblade Chronicles

I don't consider Fire Emblem as a typical JRPG so it doesn't come in this list. That's a separate tactical RPG list.

Edit: Found some cool XenoX wallpapers, nice but not amazingly amazing yet though.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ls_on_these_xenoblade_chronicles_x_wallpapers

Still be HYPED! :p
I put all RPGs in the category personally, that's why Fire Emblem 7 was mentioned

Kluft

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kluft-f-zero
Im probably the only one here who keeps my expectations low for Xenoblade X.

If you don't get hyped for something that ends up disappointing then you have nothing to lose.

If you don't get hyped, and it ends up great, it's one of those pleasant surprises you will fondly remember, like playing the first xenoblade chronicles for the first time without expecting it to be that good.

If get hyped and it does end up being good, it will probably still end up disappointing you because it didn't meet your personal bar you set, because you expected it be something it could possibly never achieve. In the worst case it ruins the game for you.

It you get hyped for something and it does end up disappointing, it can ruin your day and put you in this wierd state of denial, where you try to tell yourself and everyone who doesn't like it that it is actually good.

I have to quote Yahtzee here since he explained it way better than I ever will:
Not Hyped + Game is Good = Pleasantly Surprised
Hyped + Game is Good = All is Well
Not Hyped + Game is Bad = Smug Self-satisfaction
Hyped + Game is Bad = Suicide

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Fire Emblem, why you so amazing? It's going to take a stupidly high amount of quality to surpass Fire Emblem and Golden Sun as my favourite RPGS, XenoX, you better deliver!
Golden sun was THE ****.
But nothing will ever toss ChronoTrigger as all time Favourite rpg. The sound, the story, the characters and their development, multible endings and choices, visuals, artstyle (thanks akira!) and of course the battle system.

Xenoblade surpassed okami, even Earthbound, but Xenoblade X should better be mindblowing amazing from start to finish to surpass good ol chrono trigger.

Edit: And yes I know they are basically the same developer.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I put all RPGs in the category personally, that's why Fire Emblem 7 was mentioned
I will have a really really hard time categorizing them if I put 'em all in the same list.

Golden sun was THE ****.
But nothing will ever toss ChronoTrigger as all time Favourite rpg. The sound, the story, the characters and their development, multible endings and choices, visuals, artstyle (thanks akira!) and of course the battle system.

Xenoblade surpassed okami, even Earthbound, but Xenoblade X should better be mindblowing amazing from start to finish to surpass good ol chrono trigger.

Edit: And yes I know they are basically the same developer.
Golden Sun won for me cause I played it earlier, I think. Or I just have fonder memories, or have replayed it more times. One of these cases or all of them.

I had a hard time picking it over Chrono Trigger anyway, which has been the BEST JRPG in my opinion. Amazing game, story, gameplay, etc. I didn't do the multiple endings though.

Xenoblade came up pretty high cause of all the fun I had while playing it and my sheer level of addiction. Plus all factors we have discussed to death over here :p

Xenoblade X looks to be good but I am keeping my expectations high but not THAT high. Maximum, I expect it to meet or surpass Xenoblade Chronicles. Even if it does not, what I have seen of the game will most likely satisfy me.

Funny that Chrono Trigger and this game have the same developers.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'll wait until I finish the game before making a decision, but I'm all the way to
[collapse=] The start of the Mechonis [/collapse]
and this game was already getting close to jumping over EarthBound as my favorite RPG a few areas back.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I'll wait until I finish the game before making a decision, but I'm all the way to
[collapse=] The start of the Mechonis [/collapse]
and this game was already getting close to jumping over EarthBound as my favorite RPG a few areas back.
I need to step it up!
I am now in Makna hunting the telethia
I know you had about 8 days of a head start. But bravo!

Guys....
Both Xenoblade X, and it's Wii U bundle are sold out in Japan.
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=162040537&postcount=503
I think Xenoblade X is the Wii U's system seller(it's about time too). They really need to "bring the guns and canons" when it comes to advertising in the west. This game is going to sell Wii U's.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Guys we need to avoid Bravely Second: End Layer spoilers as well. Japan gets everything this week. :confused:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I really need to finish Bravely Default...

... maybe if I spent as much time playing games as I do talking about them on the internet...

Bravely Second got 36/40 in Famitsu. I mean, I don't care about review scores (well maybe except for games like Watch_Dogs and Destiny and some other games) but hey, it's something.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Last edited:

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
His frame data is the uncontested worst in the game. Well, frame speed being the right term. His main issue is that, and well he's combo meat in 4 stances (vanilla, buster, jump). The arts do some serious changes which helps him in staying away from low tier territory. Jump art is amazing to switch to once you're at a disadvantage it's your best bet in escaping juggles and recovering. It's also (imo) Shulk's best art because one n-air can easily confirm into a KO, and you can go deep and edgeguard any character easily. Speed art basically has no disadvantages, and it solidifies Shulk's neutral. Shield does its job well, stock tank. Buster art is basically the go-to art for spacing but you need to be really precise with your spacing. Smash art is read based, and it's probably the riskiest art to use.

Basically, you're not suppose to play him aggressively in the first place. You should mostly stay at mid-range. Charge in when it's safe with n-air or dash grab. Or pivot grab. You have range, exploit your generally insane disjoint. Don't go close-range because that's not what you're meant to do with Shulk. Lmao. Shulk thrives at mid-range and spacing and his reward from being at an advantageous state is insane. His arts also do a fine job in fixing his supposed weaknesses (except frame data and lag).

Lastly, we got MALLC because let's face it, they can't patch MALLC out. They're going to have to mess with the IASA frames which may break the character if trifled with. We still need to put that **** in our metagame. 9B has proved to us that we can't make johns for forcing the tech down our own throats.

His moveset (bar lol back slash and dash attack) is ultra solid. All his attacks are useful, even u-air actually. I thought u-throw was bad at first but the set ups from u-throw are rather interesting and it even varies depending on which art you're using

I should also mention, people have a relatively high/positive opinion on Shulk despite lack of representation because basically, a character with that much general range and mobility in jump or speed is utterly insane. I feel like buster is criminally underrated but it's hard to ignore the safety of speed or the stylish combos of jump. He's usually seen as top 20 or top 25 (upper mid tier to lower portion of high tier). At best, some people place him at top 15 (middle of high tier) which I question sometimes

His Monado arts' rewards are insane. You're at 150% and your opponent is at 70%. You still manage to kill them and win. BUT HOW? Shield mode and more importantly, exploiting rage. If you're opponent is smart, he'd camp shield out but that allows you to set the match to your pace, and it also gives your arts more time to come off cooldown

I very much doubt that anyone here actually truly mastered Shulk even at this point. I still feel like we haven't done enough to release his potential. Despite my impressions on Smash and shield (although I like shield now), I still feel like they actually have some hidden uses that are yet to be discovered. That, and we really need to use MALLC more.

So yeah. NOODLES. My impressions of Shulk. Hard to master, makes you question why you'd do this much for a character to be viable, every single action requires precision (decision making, art choosing, art management and spacing). Honestly from a far view, Shulk looks low tier. Well, in actuality, I don't even know anyone that outright called Shulk a bad character, which is weird because the frame data should be a turn off.

I guess we should be glad that this community doesn't end character judgement on solely frame data huh? :p

Oh and the player in the video was actually one of the best Diddys in Brawl (won MLG Dallas). He got 9th place out of 137 entrants in the tournament. He is slowly rising back....
Just a little note but most of this is why Shulk isn't a pick up and play character. I swear when people attempt to Shulk ditto me 9 times out of 10 they flat out can't use him.
Heck the first time I played him I was horrible. Even with the back up MA knowledge at the time I just couldn't get into it.
Though when I face a Shulk ditto with a good player it's so fun. The MA switches and such ah.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Edit: Up angled Fsmash kills REALLY early for a frame 14 move.
You forget it has ten years of endlag though :^)

Actually though, I end up throwing out a lot of random Fsmashes because I'm bad at tilts and a surprising number of them connect. I think about 10% of my kills against people I've played on SWF have been an accidental Fsmash

Last edited:
You forget it has ten years of endlag though :^)
It still comes out at frame 14 so for as long as you land it safely by using it for punishing, it's fine

Or you can combo it off from n-air, or d-throw, or you can pivot f-smash which catches a lot of people off-guard

Top Bottom