• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
You do know that you can now charge up smash attacks by tilting the control stick and pressing B and A at the same time, right?
...Though I didn't think that such a thing would be good for Shulk. Hmm...
Yeah I do, I was trying it out and I accidentally pressed B too quickly.

works for any monado art if you cycle to it beforehand (although that kinda ruins the point) and probably works for any direction or smash attack
I noticed some characters have more arts than can fit on the bar, are there any arts that I should definitely use over others?
It's all up to preference really

RIki should always be packing Happy Happy and You Can Do It, Melia should always have Spear Break and Starlight Kick for great Topples, Dunban should have Gale Slash because followups

other than that it's up to you. Find a playstyle you like and stick with it.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
So, Colony 6 eh...
[collapse=Spoilers?]
I've only just begun to rebuild it, but I went through more of the story first...

So there's a sea... floating in the sky.

How does this game keep getting better with each area?
[/collapse]
Now I'm trying to figure out how affinity and heart to hearts work.

[collapse=]
I noticed some characters have more arts than can fit on the bar, are there any arts that I should definitely use over others?
[/collapse]
They grow up so fast :')
You should have seen yourself when you first got the game. You were really confused, and really not sure about the game. I knew you would turn eventually :). Now look at you! Saying stuff like that!
Oh, and to answer your question. Yes. The game still does get way better, the areas will make your jaw drop even more. I guarantee that you will be even more astounded.

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
Oh, and to answer your question. Yes. The game still does get way better, the areas will make your jaw drop even more. I guarantee that you will be even more astounded.
You know, except the Bionis Interior second time around. Your jaw will drop because of how stupid it is compared to the rest of the game.

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
So, Colony 6 eh...
[collapse=Spoilers?]
I've only just begun to rebuild it, but I went through more of the story first...

So there's a sea... floating in the sky.

How does this game keep getting better with each area?
[/collapse]
Ho ho just wait till you get to the area after that. Especially at night.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
You know, except the Bionis Interior second time around. Your jaw will drop because of how stupid it is compared to the rest of the game.
I agree. The absolute end of the game failed to enchant me as the rest of the game. I was more willing to kill Avalanche Abassy over and over again, making 100% ether gems, and getting top weapons rather than to go finish the game.

By the way, does Xenoblade X have something like ether gems to customize weapons and armour and all that? Didn't notice if it was shown considering all focus has been on combat, mechs and storyline?

Listened to the official orchestral rendition of Xenoblade yesterday as well as the teaser soundtrack for X, AND watched the story trailer so I am all hyped up now!

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Fell into the ether? HAVE FUN GETTING OUT!

I dunno, I didn't mind the area, but maybe that small teaser for it kind of killed the surprise. Either that, or consistent fighting in areas where it's easy to fall off and die.

Please be a June/July release date! That would be perfect!

EDIT:
It seems like there is no Xenoblade X direct for Europeans, or at least, none is announced.
I really hate to say this, but with confirmation of the direct it is almost certain that North America is getting this game in the summer. Be it, June, July, or August. If Europe doesn't have a direct, then I definitely think you guys will have a fall release.
What further backs this up is the fact that you guys are getting YWW in June 26th, whilst we get it in Fall... I believe we will get Xenoblade on June 26th while you guys get it in fall.
I know, this definitely isn't a fair trade at all, but this is the way I see things... The facts are right there, but I really wish I am wrong.
My apologies to you, especially to you @ AlvisCPU AlvisCPU .

I have to say this as well. Hearing Elma, Lyn, and Tatsu speak English is going to be sooo weird. I hope they have good voices...
i cri evry tim ;_;
But seriously, I'm a little worried that it's just a US Direct. If there's not a release date for any other region, :salt:... :shaker::shaker::shaker:
Speaking of regions, the Direct airs at 2AM for me. But even through all that, I'm sure I'll wake to some cool stuff. I'm especially interested to hear the English voices. Is it bad that I still hope for British voice acting, despite the ship clearly being American? I loved the VAs we had in Xenoblade.

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Fell into the ether? HAVE FUN GETTING OUT!

I dunno, I didn't mind the area, but maybe that small teaser for it kind of killed the surprise. Either that, or consistent fighting in areas where it's easy to fall off and die.

i cri evry tim ;_;
But seriously, I'm a little worried that it's just a US Direct. If there's not a release date for any other region, :salt:... :shaker::shaker::shaker:
Speaking of regions, the Direct airs at 2AM for me. But even through all that, I'm sure I'll wake to some cool stuff. I'm especially interested to hear the English voices. Is it bad that I still hope for British voice acting, despite the ship clearly being American? I loved the VAs we had in Xenoblade.
To be honest, the only British VA(s) I can see making the cut is Adam Howden, and perhaps a few of the other popular VAs from the original, as voice options for Cross. The majority of the voice cast should primarily be western American since, you know, the city is New Los Angeles.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
All I know is that Elma better sound the way she appears. . . Which is like a Goddess. xoxo

Seriously though, I'm certain the American-English V.A.'s will be fine. We won't be able to justly compare until we're actually experiencing the game ourselves, and even then, I'm not really concerned about it being "better". . . It just needs to not be bad in my book. Haha.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I thought it was fine :v boss sucked but I liked how they finally gave you an area that wasn't a complete pushover

the music is okay as well. Carcass is bad, but Pulse imo is ok.
Our MU image is finished. Shout outs to the incredibly talented @ Jae Jae

RIP when Lucas

why is Shulk on here when that's just an even matchup?
To be honest, the only British VA(s) I can see making the cut is Adam Howden, and perhaps a few of the other popular VAs from the original, as voice options for Cross. The majority of the voice cast should primarily be western American since, you know, the city is New Los Angeles.
I mean Los Angeles has people from all over the world... they don't have to be all American.

there are British people in LA

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I've got to say, initially not knowing anything about her, I was pretty indifferent to Elma. But with the short stories and some of the trailers showing a bit of her personality, I think she's shaping up to be pretty awesome.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I thought it was fine :v boss sucked but I liked how they finally gave you an area that wasn't a complete pushover

the music is okay as well. Carcass is bad, but Pulse imo is ok.

RIP when Lucas

why is Shulk on here when that's just an even matchup?

I mean Los Angeles has people from all over the world... they don't have to be all American.

there are British people in LA
Lucas later

I don't know tbqh. I guess just cuz?

yaystrawberrypie

Smash Cadet
NNID
[MFiC]ySP
I'm hoping that mexicans are being represented in xenoblade x since there is a lot of Mexican influence here in the city of angels...

One day, I linked my account for Squidboards. Made it Kamui because she's so cute

Found out @ Neo Zero Neo Zero made an account. It's Kamui also.

Biggest coincidence of all time

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I got too absorbed while making the chart sorry

Well it looks a bit more complete anyways imo

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Meep, Dolls are now localized as "Skells"(IIRC)

I initially thought it was a misspelling of Skills, but I don't really like it

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Doll is a much better name. Skell is dumb
I agree, I don't know why they needed to change that? Doll was just fine the way it was. it's just me but why do they always have to do a treehouse for like every game in north America. The tree house are always all over the place, I never learn anything from them.

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I don't want to complain too much but damn, I was hoping to get a hear out of the dub, but no luck. ;__;

And it was a very bare bones Direct, nothing new beyond localized names and Treehouse gameplay (which is meh-worthy IMO)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I agree, I don't know why they needed to change that? Doll was just fine the way it was. it's just me but why do they always have to do a treehouse for like every game in north America. The tree house are always all over the place, I never learn anything from them.
Probably because GRR WE LIVE IN AMANICA! GRR NO DOLLS BUT MANLY SKELLS INSTEAD

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I think it's fine. To be fair I lived through name speculation for Pokemon and witnessed people get bent up over English names

no one cared 2 months later

D

Deleted member

When I saw "Skells" I thought, "Did they seriously misspell Skills?" When it was revealed to be the name of the Dolls, I thought, "What? That's a stupid name." I guess I'll grow accustomed to it over time.

It's just a shame that the Direct was 8 minutes of information that we already knew from the Japanese Directs (though, actually understanding what is going on is good). Seeing as how bare bones it was, I'm legitimately afraid that NoA won't market this game as much.

I'm just glad that we will get the game sometime in 2015.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
To be honest, I have mixed feelings. I hate to sound so salty, but when I realized that there was no english dub or release date announced in the direct I was legitimately disappointed. I got a little too hyped I guess. Seeing the treehouse footage, I can understand why its taking Nintendo so long to localize though. So much content. So much.

The wait is gonna be torture, but well worth it.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I'm still really hyped

seems they made some QoL changes like putting quest markers over quest monsters and such

fun~

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Maybe they were going for like a shortened form of skeleton or something. Either way it makes no difference to me. I think both names are kinda dumb.

The Nav ball makes me think of Sonic Adventure's hint orbs. Really love those kind of features being added cause there's plenty of times during Xenoblade where I've known where to go, but I've forgotten the exact path.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Yeah I do, I was trying it out and I accidentally pressed B too quickly.

works for any monado art if you cycle to it beforehand (although that kinda ruins the point) and probably works for any direction or smash attack

It's all up to preference really

RIki should always be packing Happy Happy and You Can Do It, Melia should always have Spear Break and Starlight Kick for great Topples, Dunban should have Gale Slash because followups

other than that it's up to you. Find a playstyle you like and stick with it.
I don't topple, so I wouldn't even use speark break and starlight kick on my melia :p. And yeah, I beat Abaasy without toppling :^)

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I don't topple, so I wouldn't even use speark break and starlight kick on my melia :p. And yeah, I beat Abaasy without toppling :^)
understandable, I don't particularly focus on toppling (no one likes roly poly anyway). Normally my topples are to build up party gauge for Chain Attacks.

it's just funny seeing Melia do a dropkick

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Just watched the Direct.

Despite not playing them, I know that previous Xeno-games borrowed names from other languages. I expected "skell" to be German, Google Translate tells me it's actually Icelandic for "shell". I initially thought skell was weird too, but knowing that, I think it actually makes a bit more sense than 'Doll'. Doll is just what we're used to, I guess.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Nah I'm going to have to go with full on bad for the direct. Directs are usually fun loving, exciting times. If they are going to tell us information we potentially already know, at least make it entertaining. Tomadachi life was probably a game some people knew about before the direct, but that direct was still amazing! (All hail the virtual boy!)

Not to mention they didn't even fully explain things. They shorten each segment to smallest possible denominator possible.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Oh jeez.....
I went through school, work, an orchestra concert, 2 calculus tests, and a physics experiment today. The only thing that kept me going was that I got to see the Xenoblsde X direct when I finally returned home....
I am very much not happy.
First, I really want to murder whoever was narrating that direct. She sounded lifeless, boring, and altogether terrible. Why couldn't they just have had the VA for Elma, Lyn, and Tatsu do it?! That had a ton of humor in the Japanese directs!
Plus, she ****ing mispronounced Nopon. How much of an idiot do you have to be to mispronounce a common species in a game with official translations!!!!!
The information sucked as well. It was bare-bones, and only stated the obvious.

Sigh. They aren't even running an English build of the game as well... That's very concerning...

Also to note. I believe that the music has to be localized as well. With the unnecessary name change of Dolls to Skells we are going to need different lyrics for the music.
Many songs mention Dolls, including the battle theme. So it is going to have change as well.

Really NoA, you are proving yourselves to be incompetent.....
Why couldn't NoE localize this game.... They probably would have got it done faster.....

Also. Really Bill? Metroid and Zelda are nothing compared to the scope of Xenoblade. It's just a fact...

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I thought it was fine :v

The direct itself was lacking but I enjoyed the Treehouse a ton

Seriously go watch the Treehouse, all of the other info is covered there

Oh jeez.....
I went through school, work, an orchestra concert, 2 calculus tests, and a physics experiment today. The only thing that kept me going was that I got to see the Xenoblsde X direct when I finally returned home....
I am very much not happy.
First, I really want to murder whoever was narrating that direct. She sounded lifeless, boring, and altogether terrible. Why couldn't they just have had the VA for Elma, Lyn, and Tatsu do it?! That had a ton of humor in the Japanese directs!
Plus, she ****ing mispronounced Nopon. How much of an idiot do you have to be to mispronounce a common species in a game with official translations!!!!!
The information sucked as well. It was bare-bones, and only stated the obvious.

Sigh. They aren't even running an English build of the game as well... That's very concerning...

Also to note. I believe that the music has to be localized as well. With the unnecessary name change of Dolls to Skells we are going to need different lyrics for the music.
Many songs mention Dolls, including the battle theme. So it is going to have change as well.

Really NoA, you are proving yourselves to be incompetent.....
Why couldn't NoE localize this game.... They probably would have got it done faster.....

Also. Really Bill? Metroid and Zelda are nothing compared to the scope of Xenoblade. It's just a fact...
Ok
- the announcer did a fine job of introducing the story and mechanics. NoA decided to take on a more informative approach to this direct and that's fine. Stop hating on the announcer, please.
- they most likely don't have VAs for any of the characters. A lot of the text has not been localized and VAs generally record all of their lines within about 2 weeks. It makes sense they would want the game fully translated before bringing in VAs.
- the pronunciation we are used to is European. If you haven't noticed by now, American and European dialects are pretty different. Maybe it's pronounced No-pon in American.
- there HAS NOT been an American direct for XCX yet. Much of the general public doesn't know anything about it. It is worse to go completely in-depth and confuse many people while making the direct super long than going over basics and going more in-depth at a later time. Plus it keeps people engaged and interested as many want to hear more about all of these features.
- running an English build needs a fully translated English copy of the game. In case you didn't know, Xenoblade Chronicles was released in Europe over a year after its release in Japan, most likely due to the huge amounts of text. Frankly, it's amazing that they're still pushing a 2015 release date.
- music will most likely NOT be localized. Even if it is, it'll be like a one word change, easy enough to substitute with about 10 minutes of editing. The only times I've heard video game music get localized is when the original song is in Japanese. Sawano was probably asked to make his songs on English so that localization would go faster.
- Metroid and Zelda are common franchises that are owned by Nintendo (so that they're still supporting their own IPs) and are similar enough in their focus of exploration and open world that a comparison can be drawn. It's probably the best comparison within Nintendo games there is.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ugh...
I've just not been really feeling it with Shulk lately.
Like, I put so many hours into this character and I haven't seen major improvement. :( It's honestly been a massive roller coaster for me with Shulk... I hit highs and I hit lows... tonight against a friend, I encountered lows.

Top Bottom