• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Do you have a link to the Treehouse thing? I couldn't find it and just assumed it was what I'd just watched.

The only time I've seen localised music is once when some songs were full Japanese, which here it's not. And yeah, I don't think the Direct was too bad - it was just that if you'd been following the Japanese news (most people haven't), you won't really get anything new. It's hardly the doom and gloom the internet is making it out to be.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
My brother had finished Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.
Will anyone be surprised that Xenoblade Chronicles X is gonna get leaked a few days later in Taiwan?
Ugh...
I've just not been really feeling it with Shulk lately.
Like, I put so many hours into this character and I haven't seen major improvement. :( It's honestly been a massive roller coaster for me with Shulk... I hit highs and I hit lows... tonight against a friend, I encountered lows.
I can feel your depression...
Me too.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Ugh...
I've just not been really feeling it with Shulk lately.
Like, I put so many hours into this character and I haven't seen major improvement. :( It's honestly been a massive roller coaster for me with Shulk... I hit highs and I hit lows... tonight against a friend, I encountered lows.
I saw that too last month!
Just... play a few other characters, I mean. You will understand others playstyles, and be far better at predicting. Mindgames are always fun.
Just play what does fun. Like I play with Charizard and Ness lately. Clear your head, and come back later. You skills will only impove!

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Alright, because of the terribly busy day I had, I perhaps was a bit too hyperbolic. The Treehouse stream was extremely good however. I have a couple of rebuttals to say however.
I thought it was fine :v

The direct itself was lacking but I enjoyed the Treehouse a ton

Seriously go watch the Treehouse, all of the other info is covered there
Ok
- the announcer did a fine job of introducing the story and mechanics. NoA decided to take on a more informative approach to this direct and that's fine. Stop hating on the announcer, please.
Point taken, but she wasn't wasn't as good as the characters from the game.
- they most likely don't have VAs for any of the characters. A lot of the text has not been localized and VAs generally record all of their lines within about 2 weeks. It makes sense they would want the game fully translated before bringing in VAs.
They have had over 7 months(at the very least), I at least expect a game that has some of it translated.
[/quote]
- the pronunciation we are used to is European. If you haven't noticed by now, American and European dialects are pretty different. Maybe it's pronounced No-pon in American.
That is very ridiculous. It's a fictional proper noun! The pronunciation should be the same. Should us stupid Americans start calling Shulk "Shilk", Reyn "Rain", Dunban "Dune-ban", and Melia "Meel-i-ar"? No!? Because that is ridiculous! I can understand them changing names from Japan to America(like... Tatsu has been changed to Tats apparently...) because that is a true barrier of language. But changing the pronunciation in English for absolutely no reason is absurd.
[/quote]
- there HAS NOT been an American direct for XCX yet. Much of the general public doesn't know anything about it. It is worse to go completely in-depth and confuse many people while making the direct super long than going over basics and going more in-depth at a later time. Plus it keeps people engaged and interested as many want to hear more about all of these features.
The Japanese directs were very entertaining, and informative. Mario Kart 8's, and Tomadachi's were informative as well. The audience did not mind one bit learning a lot about the game.
- running an English build needs a fully translated English copy of the game. In case you didn't know, Xenoblade Chronicles was released in Europe over a year after its release in Japan, most likely due to the huge amounts of text. Frankly, it's amazing that they're still pushing a 2015 release date.
Eh.. Alright. But they really should have been translating while the game was in hard development. They should have aimed at a worldwide release.
[/quote]
- music will most likely NOT be localized. Even if it is, it'll be like a one word change, easy enough to substitute with about 10 minutes of editing. The only times I've heard video game music get localized is when the original song is in Japanese. Sawano was probably asked to make his songs on English so that localization would go faster.
This was merely speculation on my part. But since the songs are in English and specifically mention Dolls(such as Black Tar where the lyrics state "standin' aside before we can get\DOLLS UP"). It is intriguing what the treehouse is going to do about that, as Americans don't know what dolls are in the context of this game(damnit! Well @ AlvisCPU AlvisCPU .... I have to say... The song has grown on me...)
[/quote]
- Metroid and Zelda are common franchises that are owned by Nintendo (so that they're still supporting their own IPs) and are similar enough in their focus of exploration and open world that a comparison can be drawn. It's probably the best comparison within Nintendo games there is.
Eh... Alright point taken. But Xenoblade really does dwarf Zelda and Metroid in scale. It dwarfs many games of its scale such as Skyrim. I get it's advertising for other games, but the consumers need to know that the game is so much more.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Forget the boring direct/presentation:

Listen to this again and get HYPED!

Last edited:

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
If anyone else is looking for it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX-hjunMjxc

EDIT: Apparently that link isn't the whole thing. The rest is here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UwJbZIFOTU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdgwE3_qrBc
Thanks! It wasn't a bad direct. I think it was mainly for those who didn't see those Japanese ones though as they pretty much summed up things that they mentioned there. Nothing wrong with that.

So they said there were plenty nods towards Xenoblade Chronicles. And I'm pretty sure we know a lot already.
  • Lyn having Monado pins
  • Nopon
  • "Vangarre"
  • If you didn't know, Elma has Back Slash and Stream Edge. It's part of her Commando class.
  • Telethia
I wonder how much there actually is in terms of references. I'm also waiting for the DLC where we get to dress up as Xenoblade characters and deck out our "Skells" as Face Mechon. Can't wait to make Fiora and her Face Nemesis!

I also just want to say that I like the term Skell better than Doll. Dolls sound like toys to me where as Skells remind me of a skeleton which means a human body. Sounds less childish I guess.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Wait...it's not pronounced No-pon? That's what I've been saying the whole time...o_o' Is it supposed to be Nop-on?
It's a game with voice acting!
How could you not know it's not Nop-on? unless you didn't play the game, or if you played with the Japanese Dub
[
Forget the boring direct/presentation:

Listen to this again and get HYPED!
Simply stunning.
I cannot wait until Uncontrollable is put online. I am really interested how good it will be compared to YWKON

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Wait...it's not pronounced No-pon? That's what I've been saying the whole time...o_o' Is it supposed to be Nop-on?
Both o's are short. the XCX direct announcer person said it with the first o as a long o

Also! there are now pretty colors on the boards

:D

Last edited:

Xenoblade Hero

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1891-1509-5006
Back from the Smash tournament this weekend and I feel I did surprisingly well in all of them. Got to the Semi's of the WiiU Tournament, Quarters in 3DS and Semi's in Melee (I put the latter down to a lack of players who have actually played the game as I'd barely played the game in months). In particular I learnt so much from my WiiU games because I don't get much practise against human opponents in a live setting, I'm amazed my local area has so many good players as well. Quarter Finals was my Shulk in a mirror match and I managed to somehow take a game with an air slash away from the ledge al a Relaxed in his set vs Average Joe, a completely unexpected and risky move that won me the set but I decided it was worth the risk seeing as my opponent was at 70% and I was around 150%. I lost to a Mega Man in Semi's, I found they put so much pressure on me not approaching through the low air with pellets and their up air prevented my aerial approaches with Jump arts so I found it tough to get to them, and their combo game as a player was top notch. Bought it to a third set as I was surprised by my own capabilities offstage but the pressure of the match got to me, and with my nerves fired out a few too many Smash attacks which got me punished by my very patient opponent.

I'm glad that I've got something to learn from though and that there's good players in my area, hopefully I can improve for the next tournament! I wish I could show you all some videos of my game play as you could all probably help me with my Shulk game (nothing was recorded at the event though as far as I'm aware), but I generally found it hard to attempt MALLC in a tournament setting and I also need to seriously work on my Mega Man matchup because although it was close, I felt lack of knowledge hurt me a fair bit particularly when there were times I felt like I couldn't approach.

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Back from the Smash tournament this weekend and I feel I did surprisingly well in all of them. Got to the Semi's of the WiiU Tournament, Quarters in 3DS and Semi's in Melee (I put the latter down to a lack of players who have actually played the game as I'd barely played the game in months). In particular I learnt so much from my WiiU games because I don't get much practise against human opponents in a live setting, I'm amazed my local area has so many good players as well. Quarter Finals was my Shulk in a mirror match and I managed to somehow take a game with an air slash away from the ledge al a Relaxed in his set vs Average Joe, a completely unexpected and risky move that won me the set but I decided it was worth the risk seeing as my opponent was at 70% and I was around 150%. I lost to a Mega Man in Semi's, I found they put so much pressure on me not approaching through the low air with pellets and their up air prevented my aerial approaches with Jump arts so I found it tough to get to them, and their combo game as a player was top notch. Bought it to a third set as I was surprised by my own capabilities offstage but the pressure of the match got to me, and with my nerves fired out a few too many Smash attacks which got me punished by my very patient opponent.

I'm glad that I've got something to learn from though and that there's good players in my area, hopefully I can improve for the next tournament! I wish I could show you all some videos of my game play as you could all probably help me with my Shulk game (nothing was recorded at the event though as far as I'm aware), but I generally found it hard to attempt MALLC in a tournament setting and I also need to seriously work on my Mega Man matchup because although it was close, I felt lack of knowledge hurt me a fair bit particularly when there times I felt like I couldn't approach.
Nice!

I agree, MALLC is a lot harder to pull off in-game. especially when the opponent hits you during your jump :sadsheep:

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
Opening cutscene of Xenoblade X (not a spoiler since this was shown at the treehouse back at E3, this is just without the commentary).

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Opening cutscene of Xenoblade X (not a spoiler since this was shown at the treehouse back at E3, this is just without the commentary).
Not gonna lie this thumbnail looks like Final Destination

:p

I'm gonna hold off from watching this similarly to how I haven't listened to the XCX soundtrack preview

Last edited:

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
The game looks pretty. I like how they tried to use the power of the triforce and failed. lol

I'm glad that I've got something to learn from though and that there's good players in my area, hopefully I can improve for the next tournament! I wish I could show you all some videos of my game play as you could all probably help me with my Shulk game (nothing was recorded at the event though as far as I'm aware), but I generally found it hard to attempt MALLC in a tournament setting and I also need to seriously work on my Mega Man matchup because although it was close, I felt lack of knowledge hurt me a fair bit particularly when there were times I felt like I couldn't approach.
Congratz!

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Since no one is checking the Elma thread, I'll post some things here! :)

Here's a cutscene video of Cross and Elma walking into NLA for the first time (yeah, this particular cutscene was already shown at the Treehouse demo last year, but at least there's no commentary in this video). The background song is called THEMEX (fun fact: the vocal song from the latest story trailer is the reprise of this song).

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
It's a game with voice acting!
How could you not know it's not Nop-on? unless you didn't play the game, or if you played with the Japanese Dub
I guess I just saw the word first, pronounced it how I would say it, and then when it was actually said it just didn't register that they were saying it slightly differently, or that they were just saying it fast enough that I didn't notice? I dunno man.

So let me guess, heropon is actually pronounced "here-uh-pon" and not "here-o-pon"? UGGGHHHH the puns in this game keep screwing me up. I went through the first whole chunk of the game pronouncing Reyn as "Rain" instead of "Rine(which is the correct way I'm told?)" because there's at least two rain puns in the dialogue.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Spoiler-tagging this one out of respect for those who do not wish to see XCX videos. Nothing too spoiler-ish, just some footage of the gameplay/exploration of a later area.

Some gameplay/exploration footage in Noctilum. The area theme is a-mah-zing!

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
ARRGGGGHHHH
All these videos and streams of Xenoblade X!
It's so hard not to take a peek, but the game could be ruined for me!
Sigh...
I just am more lost than Skull Kid in lost woods....
nop-on is how the cast pronounced it, so that's how I'll say it, British myself afterall
Lucky :-P

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
I'm not watching any XCX videos you guys put up btw.
1. It makes me want the game even more. I don't want more waiting torture.
2. I like having a game fresh. All I have watched of it is the first hour of gameplay. Plus I kind of watched too much of the first Xenoblade. I don't want to make that mistake. But I still don't know who the final boss is so don't tell me.
I'm guessing the final boss will be Juju. That buggie's dangerous.
Sarcasm is fun.

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Hi I am new to the shulk threads. I do not main shulk I main the amazing Link! But I do secondary Him with robin! I have beat Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii and I give it 13 out of 10. great story amazing music good voice acting and unique gameplay!

Fun fact, if the game music is godlike enough, I will buy the game (Xenoblade and Bravely Default)

Oh and a heads up

I'll be off to Europe at May 15. I'll be away from Smashboards for... 3 weeks? So yeah

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Oh. That's cool! enjoy!

Also Vote for the default custom character from xenobladeX for smash! I think he would be cool since he could switch btween his or her gun and sword!

Last edited:

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Stepping back a tiny bit, I'm surprised quite a few people prefer the name Doll of Skell. I honestly think Dolls are a stupid name for them. These are giant, world exploring mechs that serve as the humans' greatest weapon yet are named after a young girl's toy? Skell is a clearly a play on the word "skeleton", showing how they serve as robotic exoskeletons for the humans. It makes infinitely more sense.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Oh. That's cool! enjoy!

Also Vote for the default custom character from xenobladeX for smash! I think he would be cool since he could switch btween his or her gun and sword!
Hmm. I wouldn't mind him/her, but I actually prefer Elma since she's bad*ss and technically the main character story-wise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom