• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
From memory, I think mine's below that by a few metres. Buster HRBat Smash x3 + uSmash + Smash HRBat Smash.
Edit: Roughly 1300m, not as good as I thought I had. Thought I was high 1400's.

I passed 1,000,000 on Stage 1, and 4,000,000 by Stage 4.
My score on Stage 5: Stage choice hurt my usual strategy, >4,400,000
My score on Stage 6.

I didn't even make it to the end of All-Star, by ~1.8 stages. I was KO'd on Stage 6 because Link, Zelda and Samus kept spamming projectiles. I lament the loss of the score that could've been.

I figured out how to break All-Star. Either way, it's a paperclip well-earned, I think. Thank you and goodnight.
Nice! I wonder if you, me, and Aero all are using the same technique. To anyone who is wondering: I'm not telling:awesome:
Sweet jesus, we should open an social greeting thread.
I was actually thinking the same! "Shulk's advanced communication techniques" "The art of communicating as Shulk" or something like that :p

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
For my little Christmas, I hesitate between Tropical Freeze, Bayo 2 and Omega Ruby.
Which priority would you give to them by doing a Top 3 ?
1. Bayonetta 2
2. Tropical Freeze
3. Omega Ruby
Bayonetta 2 is awesome, absolutely incredible, it's a huge step-up from the first and you get the first one with it anyway, two games for one.
Tropical Freeze is also incredible but if you've played Returns this one can wait but you definitely should not miss it.
Omega Ruby was a let-down, to me, it's cool to see the region in 3D and not top-down, but unless you care, extremely, about the Megalutions, this games only about Nostalgia, that's it, still a very good game though.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
For All-Star, can we do it on the 3DS version? Is it possible? :O I want a paper clip!

TrueSapphire

Smash Apprentice
Still, Shulk dittos are funnest dittos.
Speaking about Shulk dittos, this one also happened to me a few days ago.

My opponent and I went on for three matches. Not only my opponent was using the Reyn pallete like I do, but my opponent's playstyle was very identical to mine. Most moves he did are moves I would do (including mistakes and habits). Basically, it was almost like fighting against myself (even with the Reyn pallete).

First match, my opponent had a big advantage until the end, but I barely won with a lucky D-smash after my opponent finished his Vision animation.

Second match, I won using F-airs enough so that he would not recover, even with Jump Art.

Third match was the most interesting one. Back in the past, I once lost against a Shulk player who did not use Monado Arts at all (and it still stings to this day). In this match, I added that restriction...and won! And oddly, I considered this to be my easiest match against him (even though I had one stock left).

The only thing missing was that we did not taunt once...

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I was doing some Shulk dittos yesterday, and oddly it seemed the best MArt for either of us to use was Buster. It doesn't seem like there's any art that counters it; l I tried speed. Shield is beaten, Smash is only good at high percents, Jump is rediculously hurt by Buster, Vanilla would probably be better off in Buster if trying to give damage. Speed was the only thing I could think of as being a counter, other than Buster, but it wasn't that great tbh.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Nice! I wonder if you, me, and Aero all are using the same technique. To anyone who is wondering: I'm not telling:awesome:
Quite possible. Maybe I'm not creative enough, but outside of my strategy I can't think of many ways to push it so high. I'm not sure if difficulty affects the score, but where's the challenge in setting it to Easy? I told my brother what I was doing to get the score and he said it was kind of cheap. Then when I lost in All-Star he said "Not good enough!" in Dunban's voice.

I've never had any Shulk dittos on FG, but I don't get to play online much anyway... if any of you don't mind the laggy connection I'd like to play against some of you at some point.

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
So my sister and I decided to play a bit differently today.
We went on team battles as swimsuit Shulk with the tags: Back and Slash.
We started out with a side taunt and then proceeded to use Back Slash only for the entire match.
That was honestly the most fun I've had online in quite a while.
It got even more fun when another team did the same thing as us and everyone was doing just Back Slash.
Surprisingly we won most of the matches.

D

Deleted member

So my sister and I decided to play a bit differently today.
We went on team battles as swimsuit Shulk with the tags: Back and Slash.
We started out with a side taunt and then proceeded to use Back Slash only for the entire match.
That was honestly the most fun I've had online in quite a while.
It got even more fun when another team did the same thing as us and everyone was doing just Back Slash.
Surprisingly we won most of the matches.
Hahaha! This was awesome!

I'm gonna do this myself someday in 1-on-1 For Glory...

Been testing 3 tricks I found on all characters so that's like going into 150 training matches

x_x

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
HOly crap, i fought the best :4megaman: i've ever seen on FG and he wrecked me so bad. Seriously, this is like, top level play, he stunlocked me with Standard Attack/Neutral Air, knew how to use Metal Blade to his advantage, Fair/Bair/Uair,a nd he was even great at meteoring, he got me twice with that. I beat him only 3 times, and only with Shulk, noneo f my other mains could do it andthat s because i managed to take advantage of Shulk's spacing/range, artes, and off stage KOs. I didn't KO him when he went AFK for a minute, since that's not fair,a nd he saw that as nice, so he friended me, and we had some more firendly battles, chatting a bit with nicknames. He goes by Locke 06(username), and he's pretty damn good. Id' love to see him play in a tourney, seriously.

HOly crap, i fought the best :4megaman: i've ever seen on FG and he wrecked me so bad. Seriously, this is like, top level play, he stunlocked me with Standard Attack/Neutral Air, knew how to use Metal Blade to his advantage, Fair/Bair/Uair,a nd he was even great at meteoring, he got me twice with that. I beat him only 3 times, and only with Shulk, noneo f my other mains could do it andthat s because i managed to take advantage of Shulk's spacing/range, artes, and off stage KOs. I didn't KO him when he went AFK for a minute, since that's not fair,a nd he saw that as nice, so he friended me, and we had some more firendly battles, chatting a bit with nicknames. He goes by Locke 06(username), and he's pretty damn good. Id' love to see him play in a tourney, seriously.
@ Locke 06 Locke 06

Also Locke, the Mega Man match up is being discussed but the ratio isn't our main focus (We don't display ratios). It's more on what Mega Man can do and what Shulk can do. Feel free to post. No one bites

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
What was his name?

We have an annoying as **** megaman here, it honestly baffles me people think Megaman is bad.

What was his name?

We have an annoying as **** megaman here, it honestly baffles me people think Megaman is bad.
Locke 06. I've seen him post about Mega Man in the character competitive impressions thread

And yeah, I don't think Mega Man is a bad character. lmao. He's high mid at worst if anything

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Oh

I should lrn2reed

Edit: if I wasn't in Australia I would be styling all over you guys

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Yeahh... ^_^ Sorry for being annoying. Loved our games, @ spiderfreak1011 spiderfreak1011 . Thanks for waiting that one time I had to take a phone call. That was really awesome of you.

I know the Shulk matchup pretty well. @Windmaster012 has taught me the ways of Shulk. I'll throw in my input, Berserker, as I think it's a very interesting matchup that could go either way.

Edit: I was thinking of switching to my secondary, DK, but Shulk v Mega Man is too much fun.

Edit 2: Also, about the competitive impressions thread, I post about Mega Man because I feel like a lot of people don't understand the character. He's the one character I feel like I have a very strong grasp of his potential in relation to his matchups, etc. so I post about him. I don't really feel all that comfortable posting about, say, Charizard, but I feel like that makes me "that Mega Man guy" in that thread which I'm not a huge fan of being. Ehhh, c'est la vie.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
@ Locke 06 Locke 06

Also Locke, the Mega Man match up is being discussed but the ratio isn't our main focus (We don't display ratios). It's more on what Mega Man can do and what Shulk can do. Feel free to post. No one bites
Oh, so he's on Smashboards, cool. DEfinitely would love to friend him.

Yeahh... ^_^ Sorry for being annoying. Loved our games, @ spiderfreak1011 spiderfreak1011 . Thanks for waiting that one time I had to take a phone call. That was really awesome of you.

I know the Shulk matchup pretty well. @Windmaster012 has taught me the ways of Shulk. I'll throw in my input, Berserker, as I think it's a very interesting matchup that could go either way.

Edit: I was thinking of switching to my secondary, DK, but Shulk v Mega Man is too much fun.
Lol, no prob, you're so skilled, it was a pleasure losing to you. XD

And yeah, i figured something like that probably happened, no problem. I can be a pretty fair guy, even on FG if someone accidentally suicides i'll suicide to be fair too. I defintiely look forward to fighting you again, although i would love it if you'd teach me in the ways of your MM sometime. : D

I finally finished testing buster n-air to buster f-tilt on all characters

Now to finish trying out buster n-air to buster f-smash then buster n-air to buster u-tilt

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
What was his name?

He is extremely, almost entirely, projectile based so I guess his worst enemies would be Fox and Palutena right? Shulk, I've noticed, is very hard to play against camp based characters like Mega Man and Robin...

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
He is extremely, almost entirely, projectile based so I guess his worst enemies would be Fox and Palutena right? Shulk, I've noticed, is very hard to play against camp based characters like Mega Man and Robin...
I wouldnt' neccessarily say Robin's a hard match up for Shulk, since he cannot deal with pressure well at all. Shulk can shut down/avoid his projectiles easier than MM's, and once Shulk get's in, he's basically finished given Shulks' options. MM's a different story. And then there's Duck Hunt...oh boy, that can's manueverability is ridiculous.

Shulk, I've noticed, is very hard to play against camp based
Not really. Maybe some campers are troublesome but most of them aren't even difficult and at worse, it's still winnable but innately not at our favor
I wouldnt' neccessarily say Robin's a hard match up for Shulk, since he cannot deal with pressure well at all. Shulk can shut down/avoid his projectiles easier than MM's, and once Shulk get's in, he's basically finished given Shulks' options
I don't know the match up but after watching nearly an hour of it, I'm convinced that the match up does not work like how you've said it would. I got no idea on what to say about Mega Man. Duck Hunt isn't difficult imo

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Took me a solid minute to figure out who MM was, I kept reading it as Majora's Mask...

Anyway, I agree that Shulk has issues with projectile users, but as beserker said, not unwinnable. As stupidly obvious as this sentence will sound, I think it's just a matter of practise. By this, I mean figuring out what tricks the projectiles have (speed, distance, possible travel path, etc.) Between Jump and Speed, Shulk has the ability to quickly close the distance on projectile-users, it's just a matter of being able to use them appropriately for the situation.

My circle pad is beginning to fail me. I noticed that the circle pad felt a LOT more stiff so it's harder to move

*sigh* I wish I got the Wii U version but I still need to wait

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Edited my matchup post. I feel like I'm underselling Shulk a lot, which is bad... but I can't get over how poor his aerial mobility is outside of Speed. It's something I didn't notice until last night and then this morning when I went into training mode with him to confirm my suspicion. It's like Ganondorf but without the power for aerials to be safe on shield.

Do you guys find this to be a problem as Shulk mains? I didn't realize it until I sat down with him and thought about how I usually beat him.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Edited my matchup post. I feel like I'm underselling Shulk a lot, which is bad... but I can't get over how poor his aerial mobility is outside of Speed. It's something I didn't notice until last night and then this morning when I went into training mode with him to confirm my suspicion. It's like Ganondorf but without the power for aerials to be safe on shield.

Do you guys find this to be a problem as Shulk mains? I didn't realize it until I sat down with him and thought about how I usually beat him.
Well, i don't always find this to be a problem with Shulk, his range helps compensate for a bit for being shielded+grabbed if you can space it right and be smart, and with Buster activated, his attacks become safer on Shield. But i will admit, he doesn't have many approaching options that can't be predicted/countered easily.

I'm not really feeling it

His air mobility is on par with Pacman and Ike's according to the air speed ranking which isn't really that good but not Ganondorf bad. It's something that I'm don't really feel atm unless I get juggled

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I'm not really feeling it

He actually has the best mobility with jump on and second best with speed. His air mobility is on par with Pacman and Ike's according to the air speed ranking which isn't really that good but not Ganondorf bad
I'm sorry, seems like I probably should've explained more. He's got really good air mobility in terms of max speed, but I feel like he struggles to decelerate/change direction (without a double jump), which makes his aerial approaches easy to disrupt.

Edit: and probably why he gets juggled quite a bit. Also, you don't have something you can B-reverse or anything like that to shift momentum other than Backslash. I don't have any concrete evidence or anything, but it's something I noticed which might explain why I get so many shield grabs on Shulks.

Last edited:
It's 4 am at the moment. I must be crazy to be awake for no reason
I'm sorry, seems like I probably should've explained more. He's got really good air mobility in terms of max speed, but I feel like he struggles to decelerate/change direction (without a double jump), which makes his aerial approaches easy to disrupt.
Oh this. It's a problem which unfortunately seems to be only solved with a double jump or speed

Slightly off topic but usually, I'd rather not close in or get out of range unless I'm in speed. I'd rather just maintain some distance between me and my opponent. Shulk's game plan imo outside of speed is to play mid-range. The misconception with jump is that you just blitzkrieg into the enemy with n-air. Jump is best used defensively. Using the mobility to dance around and wait for your opponent to do something stupid then you, bait approaches, empty hops and when they bite, you rush into the enemy with n-air

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
It's 4 am at the moment. I must be crazy to be awake for no reason

Oh this. It's a problem which unfortunately seems to be only solved with a double jump or speed

Slightly off topic but usually, I'd rather not close in or get out of range unless I'm in speed. I'd rather just maintain some distance between me and my opponent. Shulk's game plan imo outside of speed is to play mid-range. The misconception with jump is that you just blitzkrieg into the enemy with n-air. Jump is best used defensively. Using the mobility to dance around and wait for your opponent to do something stupid then you, bait approaches, empty hops and when they bite, you rush into the enemy with n-air
Oof. Go to sleep. I woke up at 5 AM today. That just sounds weird. Also, glad I'm not imagining he has trouble reversing direction.

I think you hit the point that I was trying to hammer home with my Mega Man matchup post. Outside of speed, you're playing a mid-range waiting game. Mega Man plays a mid-range pressure game where he can safely throw out hitboxes without overextending himself to do something stupid. If you're content to try and wait for an opening, you're going to be hard pressed to find one against a zoner like Mega Man. Meanwhile you're being pressured to do something other than wait by Mega Man's projectiles.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117

Edit: and probably why he gets juggled quite a bit. Also, you don't have something you can B-reverse or anything like that to shift momentum other than Backslash. I don't have any concrete evidence or anything, but it's something I noticed which might explain why I get so many shield grabs on Shulks.
About reversing momentum, there is one other trick for doing that with Shulk, though it's hard to pull off. With the Monado Artes, if one activates in while he's in the air, if Shulk's holding the opposite direction to where he's already heading (like say he's moving to the right in the air) when the Arte activates, he'll immediately shift and move the other direction, which can throw opponents off guard. Here's a video example of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbl4xLB5J8U

Go to 4:20-4:27 to see thisin action itself. I'm trying to master it, right now actually.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
About reversing momentum, there is one other trick for doing that with Shulk, though it's hard to pull off. With the Monado Artes, if one activates in while he's in the air, if Shulk's holding the opposite direction to where he's already heading (like say he's moving to the right in the air) when the Arte activates, he'll immediately shift and move the other direction, which can throw opponents off guard. Here's a video example of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbl4xLB5J8U

Go to 4:20-4:27 to see thisin action itself. I'm trying to master it, right now actually.
Ooh. That's pretty. I can't wait to see more Monado Arte cancel stuff. I find that really really cool and fun to watch. I saw the video you guys have on canceling landing lag with it, but I didn't know you could b-reverse/wavebounce it like that. Does it work for when you deactivate the arte as well?

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Ooh. That's pretty. I can't wait to see more Monado Arte cancel stuff. I find that really really cool and fun to watch. I saw the video you guys have on canceling landing lag with it, but I didn't know you could b-reverse/wavebounce it like that. Does it work for when you deactivate the arte as well?

As for De-activating the Arte, not sure, dont think so though, i'll test it. But yeah, you have to hold a different direction the moment the Arte activates to shift momentum.

EDIT: Tested it, De-activating the Arte doesn't shift Shulk's momentum, manually anyway. I'm the only reason Monado Arte's cancel landing lag/reverse momentum is because Shulk does poses when they activate which can cancel his current action. :\

I'm still trying to get used to that momentum reversal with the Monado Arts. That'd help in a lot of scenarios, plus I have some tricks in mind but I can't do 'em if I can't even do this tech right

And lol @ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer . Derp

Last edited:
forward slash > back slash
That will be the title next week or when I come back from my short vacation because Christmas and New Years which is 2 weeks from now

There might be wifi but I wanna enjoy the fire works and all that fancy semi-formal parties

D

Deleted member

To be honest, when I read the title, I thought it meant that Shulk's u-tilt had a guaranteed lead into Back Slash. :( That wouldn't make too much sense, though.

Top Bottom