• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
Its exactly as @Rawbinator said. Its a 8 GB Wii U. I've had this sucker since Christmas of 2012. I had a feeling I should of gotten a 32 GB instead, but I didn't have the money. I barely had the money to get a 8 GB Wii U. Again, I'll get a external storage for it probably next week, then I start doin' Shulk Dittos with you guys.

Also its sad we didn't get any buffs, but its better then better nerfed. And could they not do better with nerfing Sheik, Rosa, and ZZS? Like really...lowering there weight by 1 unit...is that even doing anything? And if they were tampering with weights, why not give Mewtwo a few Cheeseburgers and up that weight by like 15 or something.

Anyway. I've discovered something amazing today. I can do a near perfect replication of the Smash Announcers voice...Tomorrow is gonna be fun at school AND during the parade we marching in. (I'm in Marching Band)
The weight changes make small differences, they are noticeable with late kill moves (150%-170%?) and high damaging moves (Cross Slash, Bowser Bomb, etc.).
Are you going to use the voice on the parade or something?

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Its exactly as @Rawbinator said. Its a 8 GB Wii U. I've had this sucker since Christmas of 2012. I had a feeling I should of gotten a 32 GB instead, but I didn't have the money. I barely had the money to get a 8 GB Wii U. Again, I'll get a external storage for it probably next week, then I start doin' Shulk Dittos with you guys.
I see…so your Wii U is the early version.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
The weight changes make small differences, they are noticeable with late kill moves (150%-170%?) and high damaging moves (Cross Slash, Bowser Bomb, etc.).
Are you going to use the voice on the parade or something?
Idk. 1 Unit of weight just doesn't seem like a lot, but ill see when I can update my game.
And yes. I'll be using that voice a LOT tomorrow. Its so much fun to do. Just thinking about the things I can say in that voice. I mean really think about it for a second...Dankey Kang, Goku, Donald Trump, Shrek, Shantae...The possibilities are endless.
I can also say Wolf in that voice and pretend he's back in the game.....

I see…so your Wii U is the early version.
Yup. Very early version. It doesn't feel like it has 8 GB though. I have like 250 blocks of retro games and like 2K in Smash updates. All I have left is like 260 something blocks of space. Infact for the 1.1.0 update of Smash I had to delete my Splatoon updates to get Smash 4 updates. Its kinda sad actually.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Yup. Very early version. It doesn't feel like it has 8 GB though. I have like 250 blocks of retro games and like 2K in Smash updates. All I have left is like 260 something blocks of space. Infact for the 1.1.0 update of Smash I had to delete my Splatoon updates to get Smash 4 updates. Its kinda sad actually.
Yikes…
Well, I am rhnk of buying a Wii U for myself, but for now it's impossible.

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
Thats because you don't actually have 8gb. Its more like 3gb since 5gb is used for system resources.

Idk what nintendo was thinking when they released that model.
They could have just added a 500gb hd and bump up the price by $50 or so.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Thats because you don't actually have 8gb. Its more like 3gb since 5gb is used for system resources.

Idk what nintendo was thinking when they released that model.
They could have just added a 500gb hd and bump up the price by $50 or so.
That model was actually -the- go-to modell tho.
"Why wasting 50 more bucks, for a fex GB, if I can waste 50 more buckst, for 500 more GB?"
A lot of people just bought external harddrives, or even USB sticks with the leftover money, and used that for games.
It really is barely to not noticeable if it's installed directly, or not directly. Atleast not for Smash.

dhblademaster

Smash Cadet
NNID
dhblademaster
3DS FC
3737-9562-1267
So, this is off topic, but something weird happened when I was playing some Shulk v. Corrin matches with a friend of mine.
So, we were on Omega Jungle Hijinks, I was around 50/60% and he was around 80%. I hit him with a buster mode forward tilt, he countered, and I died off the top. But then, a few games later, I was around 100% and in speed mode, and he was around 60% and we were on Omega Wooly World. This time, he countered my Up Smash, and I didn't even reach the magnifying glass. I really have no idea what happened.

The only explanation I can think of, is that this is the extension of the Shulk conspiracy theory that Shulk wasn't supposed to be in sm4sh, but because of the ESRB leak, Shulk was put in the game, which is why his trailer is called "I Guess We Don't Have a Choice". Basically, if you believe that conspiracy theory, you would believe that Sakurai is trying to cover up his mistake by putting in DLC swordsmen that either a) have more range with more frame data than Shulk b) Make these swordsmen have way better nairs than Shulk or c) Have a counter that does way more knockback when Shulk hits Corrin in buster mode and exclusively hen Shulk hits Corrin in buster mode. Thus making Shulk somewhat outclassed, and everyone will forget that Shulk exists. :p

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
So, this is off topic, but something weird happened when I was playing some Shulk v. Corrin matches with a friend of mine.
So, we were on Omega Jungle Hijinks, I was around 50/60% and he was around 80%. I hit him with a buster mode forward tilt, he countered, and I died off the top. But then, a few games later, I was around 100% and in speed mode, and he was around 60% and we were on Omega Wooly World. This time, he countered my Up Smash, and I didn't even reach the magnifying glass. I really have no idea what happened.

The only explanation I can think of, is that this is the extension of the Shulk conspiracy theory that Shulk wasn't supposed to be in sm4sh, but because of the ESRB leak, Shulk was put in the game, which is why his trailer is called "I Guess We Don't Have a Choice". Basically, if you believe that conspiracy theory, you would believe that Sakurai is trying to cover up his mistake by putting in DLC swordsmen that either a) have more range with more frame data than Shulk b) Make these swordsmen have way better nairs than Shulk or c) Have a counter that does way more knockback when Shulk hits Corrin in buster mode and exclusively hen Shulk hits Corrin in buster mode. Thus making Shulk somewhat outclassed, and everyone will forget that Shulk exists. :p
Hah, jokes on him.
We still have MALLC.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman

You answered yourself with c). As far as I know, damage affects the counterattack's power, Sweetspot FTilt and the last hit of USmash do the same damage, but the arts made the big difference.
And I'd say Shulk is outclassed offensively, but we have better throws than most DLC characters and recovery than the DLC swordsmen, and don't forget the Shield/Jump Art to keep us alive.

Last edited:

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman

Or Shulks up smash is a two combo and he countered the first hit which has very little knockback and does like 5 damage, where as Shulks forward tilt in Buster mode does still decent knockback and like 20%. Also the dlc swordsman just want to be like Shulk with there Nair...and they're failing, because Shulks Nair will always be the best Nair in game, at least to me. And as MeatOfJustice MeatOfJustice was saying, damage does have an effect on counters. Not forgetting that more damage means more knockback too.

*Talking about, but not spoiling Undertale*

So...I got Undertale about a week ago. I did the Pacifist route I though "Wow what a cool game this is!" A little time later I "wanted" to do a Genocide run...wow what a mistake that was. After wanted to quit life like 3 times, I finally got to the final boss of the Genocide route...It took me like 20 attempts over a week to beat him/her. I did it yesterday before we started the parade with a lot of my band friends watching me fight them. I would say what I said when I finally beat them, buuuut i'd get hit with saying things that shouldn't be said on Smashboards. Lets just say I scared people when I did it. Well, now that that's over with. I'll be continuing my playthough of Xeno X.

Last edited:

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Interestingly, it seems like the release of Kamui and Mayonetta has sparked an interest in Shulk on For Glory. Perhaps people hope he can challenge Corrin's range? :p

That said, I feel sort of out of gear... I still have good moments, but I keep making some bad mistakes, especially at the ledge. Corrin is fun, but it's sad Bayonetta kinda outclasses him. She's really frustrating to fight...

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Interestingly, it seems like the release of Kamui and Mayonetta has sparked an interest in Shulk on For Glory. Perhaps people hope he can challenge Corrin's range? :p

That said, I feel sort of out of gear... I still have good moments, but I keep making some bad mistakes, especially at the ledge. Corrin is fun, but it's sad Bayonetta kinda outclasses him. She's really frustrating to fight...
Do the Shulks do something besides Backslash off of the edge?

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

So am I, I try to utilize Shulk's range and try to out beat Corrin. But most time I fail.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
So am I, I try to utilize Shulk's range and try to out beat Corrin. But most time I fail.
Use Shulks Bair. I believe this was posted here not that long ago, but ill say it anyway. Use his Bair. It has insane range and it beats most of Corrins moves if I remember...corrinectly...I'm not sorry.

Also, this is the longest unchanged name for our social. We've had it since Clouds trailer...Wow.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Do the Shulks do something besides Backslash off of the edge?
Surprisingly, yes. Actually, I switched back to Shulk after one match, and I got beat by their Shulk. Darn BeachBoys... They were using Speed and Jump and everything, had to hand it to them.

Corrin I can handle, I already figured out that BAir is love and BAir is life. It's Mayonetta getting me down. I have some replays of 2 stocking her... but against really good ones I'M the one getting two-stocked.

What I will share is that the ones spamming the long range bullets are best dealt with using Jump. If you get far enough away, you can pass through the fire and land close enough for a solid FAir.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Use Shulks Bair. I believe this was posted here not that long ago, but ill say it anyway. Use his Bair. It has insane range and it beats most of Corrins moves if I remember...corrinectly...I'm not sorry.

Also, this is the longest unchanged name for our social. We've had it since Clouds trailer...Wow.
I did tried B air, but I had problem of being shield grab for most of the time, sometimes I even miss.
Yeah, it feels a bit outdated...

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Surprisingly, yes. Actually, I switched back to Shulk after one match, and I got beat by their Shulk. Darn BeachBoys... They were using Speed and Jump and everything, had to hand it to them.

Corrin I can handle, I already figured out that BAir is love and BAir is life. It's Mayonetta getting me down. I have some replays of 2 stocking her... but against really good ones I'M the one getting two-stocked.

What I will share is that the ones spamming the long range bullets are best dealt with using Jump. If you get far enough away, you can pass through the fire and land close enough for a solid FAir.
Wow, its a freaking miracle. Shulks on FG that don't do the famous "BACKSLAARRRUUUUGGHHH!!!"

I did tried B air, but I had problem of being shield grab for most of the time, sometimes I even miss.
Yeah, it feels a bit outdated...
Um...I'll figure something out when I get my game updated and I get Corrin and Bayonetta. Also WindHero WindHero said Bair is love, Bair is life when they were talking about fighting Corrin, so maybe you were just fighting a higher skill level of Corrin players. I'd try doing fast attacks. Like feint attacks. That's how I use Shulk most of the time and I usually get good results.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Um...I'll figure something out when I get my game updated and I get Corrin and Bayonetta. Also WindHero WindHero said Bair is love, Bair is life when they were talking about fighting Corrin, so maybe you were just fighting a higher skill level of Corrin players. I'd try doing fast attacks. Like feint attacks. That's how I use Shulk most of the time and I usually get good results.
Not lying, that higher skill level of Corrin player could be my brother since he's the only Corrin player I face with. Like I said before, I have a terrible approach, so that's why I often get grabbed a lot. AS to B air I like to move, but very hard to aim it right. I guess only practice can make it good.

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
Corrin has better frame data (not by that much, though), but Shulk has more movement options. You have Speed and Jump. Use them to fake out the opponent. If you're always getting shield grabbed, for example, try jumping in, but instead of nairing, land and dash grab. If you notice that the opponent is always doing the front kick with side B, try dash canceling with shield to block both the initial attack and the front kick, then turn around and dash grab him.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Yeah, the MU plays somewhat like the Marth MU in terms of approach options. Tomahawking is the best strategy if they like the shield+punish game. Be very careful around his counter though, especially in Buster and Jump, you can die ridiculously early, especially in the air. Speed is a little less useful than Jump though, since a lot of Corrin's attacks are horizontal. Actually, that's kinda similar to Bayo as well... Here's the golden advice that works when I remember it, which is rarely: condition your opponent.

In other words, learn How to Train Your Corrin. XD

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Not lying, that higher skill level of Corrin player could be my brother since he's the only Corrin player I face with. Like I said before, I have a terrible approach, so that's why I often get grabbed a lot. AS to B air I like to move, but very hard to aim it right. I guess only practice can make it good.
I also get grabbed a lot. Its probably my biggest flaw in all of smash. Both getting grabbed, and doing grabs. Good thing Shulk isnt grab heavy like ZZS or Sheik. Just play normally you'll find a way past it in time.

I'm also having a lot of fun with the new "Ice Climbers" mode I made up.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172

Yes, Corrin has a stupid Counter. It's probably scaled directly off damage dealt rather than knockback, considering I've seen Buster ftilt Countered kill Shulk at something like 20%. Your up-smash probably had its first hit countered.

As for the rest... I really wanna hold my tongue but I've gotta say something. The conspiracy theory is completely ridiculous. Shulk could not have been added since the ESRB leak because Sakurai's stated all the characters (excl. DLC I assume) were decided before almost everything, they couldn't have made a full character in a short few weeks, and not to mention Shulk was in the leak. "Looks Like We Don't Have A Choice!" is word-for-word what Shulk says when initiating a fight with an enemy 10+ levels higher than him. Cover up what mistake? What does it matter if there's characters with good range? Nair is one attack. I could say more but what I'm trying to say is that it's really grasping at straws to downplay Shulk's abilities and it rubs me the wrong way, haha.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Yes, Corrin has a stupid Counter. It's probably scaled directly off damage dealt rather than knockback, considering I've seen Buster ftilt Countered kill Shulk at something like 20%. Your up-smash probably had its first hit countered.

As for the rest... I really wanna hold my tongue but I've gotta say something. The conspiracy theory is completely ridiculous. Shulk could not have been added since the ESRB leak because Sakurai's stated all the characters (excl. DLC I assume) were decided before almost everything, they couldn't have made a full character in a short few weeks, and not to mention Shulk was in the leak. "Looks Like We Don't Have A Choice!" is word-for-word what Shulk says when initiating a fight with an enemy 10+ levels higher than him. Cover up what mistake? What does it matter if there's characters with good range? Nair is one attack. I could say more but what I'm trying to say is that it's really grasping at straws to downplay Shulk's abilities and it rubs me the wrong way, haha.
I have lost to that counter for two times recently...

And that conspiracy theory is not even a theory, it's really ridiculous imo as well. And Sakurai had also mentioned that making a Smash Bros character will take a very long time if start from scratch. DLC characters have be start sometime between the 3DS release and Wii U's release. And making DLCs might not take that long.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
So....I've made a monster.
My Shulk amiibo is so good.
-------Stats-------
Name: The Beast.
60+ ATK 40+ DEF 20+ SPD.
Effects: Auto heal, Vampire, Heal on KO.
Customs: Decisive Arts, Back Slash Charge, Mighty Air Slash, SUPER ULTRA BROKEN DEATH COUNTER OF DOOM!!! (2,3,3,3)
Feats: Fought two LVL 50 Amiibos at once (2v1) and won at LVL 45.
JV4'ed me, a LVL 50 D3 amiibo, and multiple lvl 9 CPUs. (Not all at once, in separate matches)
What do I expect is his breaking point? Nothing. Nothing is the answer. Non shall stand in his way.

Also whats with the new name of the social? What did Sakurai do?

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Shulk is simply -very- hard to balance correctly.
You can't forget that 2v2 or free for all is a thing too. Shulk's range is simply pretty strong, and his monados can be devestating.

I agree, even right now, he would be bad in either of them, but it's just the thinking part. We got very strong buffs. If we get a 2 start-up frames buff for all his aerials, we prolly would get a bit better, yet...
Anything beyond 2 frames, I cannot be certain. Like shieldstun, buster monado, low landing laag, MALLC, range and spacing could make him into -the- most broken machine, if he gets buffed a bit too good. It's a more delicate matter.

I am prolly overrestimating it a bit, but you get what I mean.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Shulk is simply -very- hard to balance correctly.
You can't forget that 2v2 or free for all is a thing too. Shulk's range is simply pretty strong, and his monados can be devestating.

I agree, even right now, he would be bad in either of them, but it's just the thinking part. We got very strong buffs. If we get a 2 start-up frames buff for all his aerials, we prolly would get a bit better, yet...
Anything beyond 2 frames, I cannot be certain. Like shieldstun, buster monado, low landing laag, MALLC, range and spacing could make him into -the- most broken machine, if he gets buffed a bit too good. It's a more delicate matter.

I am prolly overrestimating it a bit, but you get what I mean.
Yea. He is probably in the top 5 of most difficult to balance area.
Shieldstun hasn't changed anything, as least from what I've seen.
I rarely use Buster.
His landing lag is fine where it is.
I don't use MALLC, but I'm learning.
His range doesn't mean much when everyone shields it then grabs.
And its kinda hard to space out someone who does nothing but projectiles.
I'd honestly take a debuff on the Monado arts to get better frame data. Shulk will never REALLY be an unkillable machine or top tier OR win tournaments, because people are lazy as crap and don't wanna try to win, that's why theres so many Rosa's, ZZS's and (T) Links.

Edit: Ya know. People that say Roy isn't OP are wrong. There opinion is wrong. I SHOULDN'T DIE AT LITERALLY 25% FROM A FORWARD SMASH FROM ANYONE!!!

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So how does Shulk do in the Bayonetta and Corrin match-ups?
Corrin's fine, despite what the fsmash comparison implies Shulk still outranges Corrin in general, and he lacks the mobility to easily slip past it (while arts let him easily trump that too).

Bayonetta I don't have Shulk experience with, but playing around the dive kick is important.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
My biggest beef with the Bayo MU is that Shulk not only is the perfect size for being combo food, but the lack of an autosnap recovery move makes it terrifying to recover low, what with her DSmash at the edge... No snap, no life, the demon's heel will meteor you. >.< Mobility arts are great, however, and for once we're on similar footing regarding frame data. As long as you can space well and keep her out, you stand a chance. Let her in, and you might find yourself dangerously close to the blast zone. Nice fact: DTilt trumps her sliding kick. But you need impeccable timing.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
My biggest beef with the Bayo MU is that Shulk not only is the perfect size for being combo food, but the lack of an autosnap recovery move makes it terrifying to recover low, what with her DSmash at the edge... No snap, no life, the demon's heel will meteor you. >.< Mobility arts are great, however, and for once we're on similar footing regarding frame data. As long as you can space well and keep her out, you stand a chance. Let her in, and you might find yourself dangerously close to the blast zone. Nice fact: DTilt trumps her sliding kick. But you need impeccable timing.
Oh wow. I already nearly spam Dtilt, so I guess I'm fine. XD.

I'm not too worried about the Dsmash meteor from Bayo. Shulk have what most non-snap recovers don't. A second slash which gives decent horizontal movement, can his Bayo and cancel the attack, and probably enough sideways movement to avoid the heel of Dsmash. Because its Smash Bros theres also the "Magentic hands" thing where you can grab the ledge from distances clearly longer then that characters arms. From what ive seen of Bayo gameplay, I feel like if you properly use his aerial attacks or just his range in general you'll be fine. I'm not worried about Shulk vs Bayo.

I COULD make a different thread on this after I get my game updated and Bayo, but then i'll go overboard and do many if not all of the characters, and theres already a MU thread around here somewhere witch in time (See I did a funny) will do Shulk vs Bayo. That's when ill go overboard will details and use hours of my time.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Both Bayonetta and Corrin have powerful D air, which can easily lead to early kos.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Both Bayonetta and Corrin have powerful D air, which can easily lead to early kos.
Corrin will more likely end up killing him/herself trying to kill you with dair. Don't think it'll be a real issue.

I'm not too worried about the Dsmash meteor from Bayo. Shulk have what most non-snap recovers don't. A second slash which gives decent horizontal movement, can his Bayo and cancel the attack, and probably enough sideways movement to avoid the heel of Dsmash. Because its Smash Bros theres also the "Magentic hands" thing where you can grab the ledge from distances clearly longer then that characters arms. From what ive seen of Bayo gameplay, I feel like if you properly use his aerial attacks or just his range in general you'll be fine. I'm not worried about Shulk vs Bayo.

I COULD make a different thread on this after I get my game updated and Bayo, but then i'll go overboard and do many if not all of the characters, and theres already a MU thread around here somewhere witch in time (See I did a funny) will do Shulk vs Bayo. That's when ill go overboard will details and use hours of my time.
Or Shulk could just activate Jump and avoid the ledge situation entirely.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Corrin will more likely end up killing him/herself trying to kill you with dair. Don't think it'll be a real issue.
I think Corrin's D air range when hitting the ground can be annoying as well, really need to be careful when at high damage. Also his/her up B...

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
Does Bayo's down smash hit below the level of the stage? If not we should be able to use the second hit of AS to grab ledge. If I remember correctly, the second hit of AS snaps to ledge.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172

Just remember that if you hit her too late, the Wicked Weave will still come out and you'll take a boot to the head.
Does Bayo's down smash hit below the level of the stage? If not we should be able to use the second hit of AS to grab ledge. If I remember correctly, the second hit of AS snaps to ledge.
It does snap, and I don't think it hits below - however if you hold A she has Bullet Art hitboxes in her shoes which I think can really only be abused on semi-solid surfaces, like platforms on Battlefield and (in terms of edgeguarding) the main moving platform on Delfino. If you get hit by those though, the d-smash will have already finished and you'll get your up-B back.

I think it's best to space Air Slash as low as possible against her, to be safe. Just watch out for mix-ups, you don't want to go low just to be back-aired instead. And like others said, Jump and even Speed should help out there.

Top Bottom