• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
I keep alot of the other sword fighters under my belt. My secondaries though are also Roy and Pit. I use Pit to deal against more ranged fighters and so I can also annoy them with my own projectiles. And technically, we all have an Ike under our belt's since he and our herohom play a bit similarly. and @JamesDNaux some of the items aren't that bad to grab for the colony 6 restoration. There are two infamous items on that list (rainbow slug and black liver bean) that can become tedious to get.
Yea same here about the sword fighter thing. I mean I play Shulk, greninja (he counts as a sword fighter right?) and every fire emblem character except Roy because he's cheap beyond sheik.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Roy is not cheap. Lol
Opinions sure are great aren't they?

Anyway. Today's my birthday so there's that. I got splatoon yesterday and beat it today at like 4 am. And I still haven't started my 100% playthough of Xenoblade chronicles and school starts in a few days. Lot o' crap a happenin' this week. Jeez I'm so bad at keeping a plan in order.

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Question:
has anyone here played XCX? Silly question, but I'm curious. (no spoilers, of course)

Also, I've been thinking about the Faces (basically one of my favorite Xenoblade topics) and there's a couple of a things I'm unsure about.

In-universe, how come Metal Face doesn't speak on his first appearance? Were Faces not given a speaking apparatus? Was his damaged during the attack on Colony 9? Did he simply choose to stay silent (lolno)?

The red light on the Faces is their blood, right? Used to fool the Monado into thinking they are beings of Bionis. It's taken from what remains of the Homs body, circulated after the metabolic functions have been integrated into the Mechon body. So... why does Egil have those red lights on Yaldobaoth? He's Machina, not a being of Bionis. His blood being circulated through the Mechon (if Machina even have blood) wouldn't do anything to stop the Monado pre-unshackling. It's unnecessary. Was this a design choice for all the Mechons accidentally carried on to Egil? Is circulating blood of any sort simply a requirement for operating the Mechon? All the Face Mechon continue to use blood after the Monado is unshackled, even though it would no longer do anything. Jade Face, who appears to have been created more recently than the other 3, still has the red lights, so it seems like it's almost a requirement of running a Face that has the desirable side effect of stopping the Monado pre-unshackling.

Xord almost succeeds at killing Shulk once, but his red lights start going green and he runs off, telling Shulk he got lucky.This doesn't happen to any other Face at any other moment. What caused this? Why did it happen? Is the green light ether? Xord was barely hurt by the squad, so what could have caused him to run out of blood? In addition, after Xord falls into the ether river and he returns to attempt to kill the gang, he has no lights and is damageable by the Monado. The implication being that falling into the ether river somehow made blood stop circulating through Xord's Mechon... but I feel like that would mean he wouldn't have enough blood to support his Homs body, let alone battle against the Monado for any decent amount of time. It also means blood is unnecessary for running a Face, so the Egil thing is in question again. We see green lights on Gold Face's face, so who knows what that means. We also see it on Metal Face's arm after he's armed with ether, so we have 3 different instances of green light, but they seem to mean something different each time.

3rd question - can the Homs pilots survive outside their Faces? It looks like they can leave for short periods of time, but they can't survive long-term because their metabolic organs are connected to the Face or they get energy from it or something.
Xord is never seen outside his Mechon.
Mumkhar leaves twice for the purpose of taunting Dunban + Shulk.
Fiora is running on Monado energy after leaving her wrecked Mechon and is slowly dying after Meyneth leaves.
Gadolt appears to be seriously injured outside his Face, but he also just suffered a serious beating.
Egil can clearly come in and out as he pleases, but he has a normal body.
If they can't survive outside the Faces, can we say the Faces are intended to replace their old bodies and be used full-time? The Mechon-ized bodies have upgraded abilities (Fiora + Mumkhar) but we only know about these because Mumkhar's a jerk who wanted to personally taunt Dunban and Fiora was forced outside her Mechon, so perhaps they were intended as last resorts in case the pilots found themselves outside their Face and facing a threat.
We see Metal Face observing Silver Face flying off - with his arms crossed, to my amusement - while clearly not doing anything. So in their off time, they're still in their Faces, not chilling in their Homs bodies while the Face gets repaired/upgraded (Meyneth speaks to Vanea during repairs, although we can see Fiora's body inside Silver Face as it is being repaired).
And another point - Mechon Homs do not have red lights. When Mumkhar leaves his Face at Valak Mountain, you can still see the red lights running through his Face, which suggests leaving the Face means you lose access to that recirculated blood. Perhaps this is why Fiora is always weak after Sword Valley. She's lost a significant amount of blood and has no way to regenerate it?

Finally - other than "Xord is the least important Face and therefore we could reuse his model without repercussions," why is Xord the model for the Mass-Produced Face Mechon? And why are some Homs turned into unique Mechons based on their unique fighting ability/exemplary skill (Mumkhar = claws, Xord = hammer, Gadolt = rifle, Fiora = daggers) while the rest are shoe-horned into Xord's hammer-based style? What's the criteria for having your very own Face Mechon? Why is Fiora, a teenager, given her own Face while the rest of the presumably more experienced MIA soldiers from the Battle of Sword Valley were turned into Xord copies? Does Vanea's creeping around with Meyneth have something to do with it? Who even decides this? Linea is somehow an expert on Homs turned into Mechon, but we don't see her working with Egil. Meyneth asked Vanea not to inform Egil of her reawakening and Vanea repaired Face Nemesis, so Vanea appears to have worked with Egil at some point. Meyneth also revived Fiora, but... when? Was she dead when Metal Face tossed her away to be "eaten" by Mechon? Why would the Mechon harvest a dead Homs when they were trying to get living Homs to be inserted into Faces? Did Fiora die 'on the way' but was revived when Meyneth realized her connection to Shulk?

I'm sorry, I just love talking about the Faces.

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
Smashboards has an odd habit of not notifying me when there's new posts in the social thread I just posted in yesterday, but then alerting me when someone has posted in the Shulk player finder thread, which hasn't been touched in like, a month.
Also, welcome to Smashboards @Fullgore, wherever you are. Hope you're really feeling it here.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Smashboards has an odd habit of not notifying me when there's new posts in the social thread I just posted in yesterday, but then alerting me when someone has posted in the Shulk player finder thread, which hasn't been touched in like, a month.
Also, welcome to Smashboards @Fullgore, wherever you are. Hope you're really feeling it here.
sometimes it does happens...

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
For goodness knows what reason, I'm gonna enter a tournament on Friday that's being held on SmashLadder... where you can only play Mario. Wonky rules, but I guess it'll be fun. (This means I better practice my Mario...)

Meanwhile, college looms close in three weeks, when all my time will be drained and I'll fade like a Boo from here... Time to really feel it, and stake my ground as best in the cafeteria.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Xenoblade Chronicles is coming out on Wii U as a VC title.

Great there go another 150 hours of my life -_-

Edit: After it comes out on NA that is.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Question:
has anyone here played XCX? Silly question, but I'm curious. (no spoilers, of course)

Also, I've been thinking about the Faces (basically one of my favorite Xenoblade topics) and there's a couple of a things I'm unsure about.

In-universe, how come Metal Face doesn't speak on his first appearance? Were Faces not given a speaking apparatus? Was his damaged during the attack on Colony 9? Did he simply choose to stay silent (lolno)?

The red light on the Faces is their blood, right? Used to fool the Monado into thinking they are beings of Bionis. It's taken from what remains of the Homs body, circulated after the metabolic functions have been integrated into the Mechon body. So... why does Egil have those red lights on Yaldobaoth? He's Machina, not a being of Bionis. His blood being circulated through the Mechon (if Machina even have blood) wouldn't do anything to stop the Monado pre-unshackling. It's unnecessary. Was this a design choice for all the Mechons accidentally carried on to Egil? Is circulating blood of any sort simply a requirement for operating the Mechon? All the Face Mechon continue to use blood after the Monado is unshackled, even though it would no longer do anything. Jade Face, who appears to have been created more recently than the other 3, still has the red lights, so it seems like it's almost a requirement of running a Face that has the desirable side effect of stopping the Monado pre-unshackling.

Xord almost succeeds at killing Shulk once, but his red lights start going green and he runs off, telling Shulk he got lucky.This doesn't happen to any other Face at any other moment. What caused this? Why did it happen? Is the green light ether? Xord was barely hurt by the squad, so what could have caused him to run out of blood? In addition, after Xord falls into the ether river and he returns to attempt to kill the gang, he has no lights and is damageable by the Monado. The implication being that falling into the ether river somehow made blood stop circulating through Xord's Mechon... but I feel like that would mean he wouldn't have enough blood to support his Homs body, let alone battle against the Monado for any decent amount of time. It also means blood is unnecessary for running a Face, so the Egil thing is in question again. We see green lights on Gold Face's face, so who knows what that means. We also see it on Metal Face's arm after he's armed with ether, so we have 3 different instances of green light, but they seem to mean something different each time.

3rd question - can the Homs pilots survive outside their Faces? It looks like they can leave for short periods of time, but they can't survive long-term because their metabolic organs are connected to the Face or they get energy from it or something.
Xord is never seen outside his Mechon.
Mumkhar leaves twice for the purpose of taunting Dunban + Shulk.
Fiora is running on Monado energy after leaving her wrecked Mechon and is slowly dying after Meyneth leaves.
Gadolt appears to be seriously injured outside his Face, but he also just suffered a serious beating.
Egil can clearly come in and out as he pleases, but he has a normal body.
If they can't survive outside the Faces, can we say the Faces are intended to replace their old bodies and be used full-time? The Mechon-ized bodies have upgraded abilities (Fiora + Mumkhar) but we only know about these because Mumkhar's a jerk who wanted to personally taunt Dunban and Fiora was forced outside her Mechon, so perhaps they were intended as last resorts in case the pilots found themselves outside their Face and facing a threat.
We see Metal Face observing Silver Face flying off - with his arms crossed, to my amusement - while clearly not doing anything. So in their off time, they're still in their Faces, not chilling in their Homs bodies while the Face gets repaired/upgraded (Meyneth speaks to Vanea during repairs, although we can see Fiora's body inside Silver Face as it is being repaired).
And another point - Mechon Homs do not have red lights. When Mumkhar leaves his Face at Valak Mountain, you can still see the red lights running through his Face, which suggests leaving the Face means you lose access to that recirculated blood. Perhaps this is why Fiora is always weak after Sword Valley. She's lost a significant amount of blood and has no way to regenerate it?

Finally - other than "Xord is the least important Face and therefore we could reuse his model without repercussions," why is Xord the model for the Mass-Produced Face Mechon? And why are some Homs turned into unique Mechons based on their unique fighting ability/exemplary skill (Mumkhar = claws, Xord = hammer, Gadolt = rifle, Fiora = daggers) while the rest are shoe-horned into Xord's hammer-based style? What's the criteria for having your very own Face Mechon? Why is Fiora, a teenager, given her own Face while the rest of the presumably more experienced MIA soldiers from the Battle of Sword Valley were turned into Xord copies? Does Vanea's creeping around with Meyneth have something to do with it? Who even decides this? Linea is somehow an expert on Homs turned into Mechon, but we don't see her working with Egil. Meyneth asked Vanea not to inform Egil of her reawakening and Vanea repaired Face Nemesis, so Vanea appears to have worked with Egil at some point. Meyneth also revived Fiora, but... when? Was she dead when Metal Face tossed her away to be "eaten" by Mechon? Why would the Mechon harvest a dead Homs when they were trying to get living Homs to be inserted into Faces? Did Fiora die 'on the way' but was revived when Meyneth realized her connection to Shulk?

I'm sorry, I just love talking about the Faces.
I should really just go to bed, but...
  • Plotwise, no idea why Metal Face doesn't speak. Design-wise, my theory is that it's too close to the game's prologue. By the time he speaks after the Central Pit, you've forgotten about Mumkhar and it's harder to just go "Hey, I heard that voice recently..."
  • My understanding of the Face Units was that they were interfaced with the pilot, so through that, the Unit itself was identified as a Bionis being. As for Yaldabaoth... uhh... well... I guess I'd have a different theory. That the Face Units are designed to be impervious to the Monado by being identified as Bionis beings, so it's simply Egil flying one of those. It depends how the trick is done, really. If it's does physically, it means that the machine is constructed somehow using Bionis entities. If it's done technologically, then it means Egil used all the captured people to work out how to fool the Monado, and can just produce them all. Maybe it's a mix and that's how it works on both ends?
  • I don't think the red lights mean blood exactly. I just think they're lights. I took the green lights to indicate some kind of remote communication reception because of Xord getting stuff. But then again, could just be a design choice by Egil. Maybe red = standard operation and green = modes of other kinds.
  • For leaving Faces, it's never really covered. It sounds like they need some kind of recharge though (did the Machina need that?). The Faces would probably have some kind of in-built energy system, so I think if anything the pilot would be able to recharge while in the cockpit.
  • Need to note, the other "Xords" don't actually wield a hammer. The ones that rock up with Metal Face don't have a weapon, and every other one later on has one of those ether spears.
  • To give Fiora her due, conversations with Vangarre imply that she's had at least some kind of Defence Force experience. Maybe he's just being nice because she's Dunban's sister, but she's apparently able to drive the Mobile Artillery Unit. I was always under the impression that she was chosen by Vanea because she was close to the Monado wielder (Meyneth-Fiora didn't know it at the time. She says something like "You know this body?" on Valak Mountain.) I think this was stated as fact at some point in Central Factory / Agniratha.
  • Are you confusing Linada and Vanea...? Anyway, Linada's a doctor for Machina but I don't think it'd be too farfetched for her to have a bit of an understanding of how Bionis beings work. It'd be a bit like a vet, I guess. She'd be able to see each side of Fiora and with Vanea's help (knowing how the Faces worked and were constructed), work out what had been done to her and how to deal with it.
  • I was pretty sure that Fiora was just grievously wounded in Colony 9, and then taken to Mechonis and patched up and Mechonified. Same with Mumkhar (he might've just been kidnapped.)

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
@ AlvisCPU AlvisCPU
Gotta say, I love your posts, man. You always put so much thought into them and raise a lot of good points. Thanks for that.

Plotwise, no idea why Metal Face doesn't speak. Design-wise, my theory is that it's too close to the game's prologue.
This is definitely the design reason; you can still remember Mumkhar's voice (and you're still thinking he might be relevant since he was a prologue character). In-game, it's never justified or mentioned, and we all know that Metal Face has two great passions: talking and hating Dunban. He manages to get a bit of sass in when he wags a finger at Shulk (I'm amazed at how they showed so much of Mumkhar's personality in a speech-less robot during this section, honestly) and he gives Dunban the most hateful look an expressionless machine is capable of giving, but he doesn't say anything. Plotwise, I guess he didn't have a voice unit or it was damaged because there's no way he wouldn't have said something to Dunban at that moment, the moment where he had destroyed Dunban's home, killed his sister, made the Monado useless... his moment of triumph.

My understanding of the Face Units was that they were interfaced with the pilot, so through that, the Unit itself was identified as a Bionis being. [...] That the Face Units are designed to be impervious to the Monado by being identified as Bionis beings, so it's simply Egil flying one of those. It depends how the trick is done, really. If it's does physically, it means that the machine is constructed somehow using Bionis entities. If it's done technologically, then it means Egil used all the captured people to work out how to fool the Monado, and can just produce them all. Maybe it's a mix and that's how it works on both ends?
I think your understanding makes sense. The brain stem and metabolic organs, iirc, are integrated with the Face, so basically they become some larger organism.
I like the idea that Egil used the captured people to fool the Monado for his own Face, but the only issue is that by the time Shulk faces off against Gold Face the first time, he just uses the Apocrypha Generator to screw up the Monado, since the "put Homs in Mechon" trick had stopped working. Although Egil seemed surprised that Zanza decided to unshackle the Monado, so perhaps the Apocrypha Generator was a backup plan. Egil doesn't interact with Shulk before Prison Island, so unfortunately we don't know if Yaldobaoth would also have been impervious to the Monado by some kind of trickery (I also question if the Monado could have hurt Nopon, since it could hurt other creatures that clearly had societies and stuff, but Nopons are referred to as one of the 3 races of Bionis, so I guess they count).

I don't think the red lights mean blood exactly. I just think they're lights. I took the green lights to indicate some kind of remote communication reception because of Xord getting stuff. But then again, could just be a design choice by Egil. Maybe red = standard operation and green = modes of other kinds.
When Shulk fights Metal Face the first time, he notices that, unlike other Mechon, Metal Face has red lights and wonders if those lights are the reason the Monado can't hurt him. This is relatively shortly after the Monado failing to hurt Fiora thing, too, which lead me to think the two were related. Plus the phrase "blood of Zanza" or something along those lines is used with regards to the Monado's limitations, which I thought was metaphorical but it makes sense for it to be literal since without a Bionis component in the Face itself, the Monado wouldn't be able to distinguish it from other Mechon. Red lights + blood of Zanza + Homs presumably have red blood, it just makes a lot of sense.
The "green = being called back" thing is a good idea. Being remotely deactivated or something. It's the only explanation that makes sense in the context of that one-sided battle. Plus Faces can work by remote (Mumkhar physically moves outside of his Face to make it work, but in the Face his brain stem is integrated and he wouldn't have space to move, so presumably when he goes to make a move the Face itself does it. Faces don't have controls. which makes them doubly cool but w/e) so maybe there's some master control. When Yaldobaoth picks up Silver Face, he isn't telekinetically holding her up and dragging her with him when he flies off. He activates her jet form - and Fiora was clearly unconscious all this time. He forced Silver Face to fight. idk if her lights were any different at this time (or if the game's blurry graphics would make it easy to see them even if they changed), but some remote is clearly a possibility.

I'm certain the green in Metal Face's arms is from the ether thing, which hadn't been discovered during Xord's time, so I guess it's just two different meanings for the same color.

Faces and Mechon in general have a lot of extraneous and silly design choices (high heels, random spikes, those really skinny legs that makes it looks like you could topple them with a gust of wind), so maybe he just has a weird aesthetic he wants to carry on in his own Mechon. It is the strongest Mechon evah built, after all. Got to differentiate it from all those other lame Mechon.

For leaving Faces, it's never really covered. It sounds like they need some kind of recharge though (did the Machina need that?).
Water and ether is all the Machina need, and supposedly all Fiora needs. What Egil did is referred to as an abomination, so unlike the Machina, who developed "naturally," the Frankenstein-like Mechon Homs weren't meant to last long, since they're artificial creations against nature. Perhaps Egil purposely made it so they'd never be able to last outside their Faces and escape if they regained their memories, which is pretty chilling.
Need to note, the other "Xords" don't actually wield a hammer. The ones that rock up with Metal Face don't have a weapon, and every other one later on has one of those ether spears.
Good point! I hadn't paid attention to that. Xord's the bulkiest of the Faces, so it makes sense to pick him because he'd (theoretically) be able to take more hits than a mass produced Metal/Silver/Jade Face and he'd have a different weapon.

I was always under the impression that she was chosen by Vanea because she was close to the Monado wielder (Meyneth-Fiora didn't know it at the time. She says something like "You know this body?" on Valak Mountain.) I think this was stated as fact at some point in Central Factory / Agniratha.Yeah, it was at Agniratha that Vanea says the reason Fiora's body was chosen was because she was close to the Monado wielder. I wonder how she did this. Egil seems to have the ability to look through Gadolt's memories, so I guess Vanea did the same to Fiora, realized she knew the Monado wielder, and transferred Meyneth's soul there.

Are you confusing Linada and Vanea...?
Meant to say Linada, whoops. She's the questionable doctor who somehow couldn't tell that Fiora wasn't Machina, despite her not looking like any other Machina in the game. And is an expert on Mechonized Homs, despite the program being, at most, a year old, and despite not wanting to work with Egil, like all the other Machina in Hidden Village. Linada... you worry me sometimes.
I was pretty sure that Fiora was just grievously wounded in Colony 9, and then taken to Mechonis and patched up and Mechonified. Same with Mumkhar (he might've just been kidnapped.)This was my theory until there was some mention that Meyneth brought Fiora back to life. I'll have to go through the cutscenes again to see if that actually happened or if I just confused that with something else.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Hello Shulks!
Ganondorf returns to the Bionis to share some news with you.
European gamers, great news for you!
You are getting a limited edition of Xenoblade X!
This comes with:
A metal case
A double sided poster
An art book
A map of Mira
And the game.
Congratulations!

US gamers
NoA has confirmed via Twitter that we will be getting "An Unique Xenoblade X special edition"!
This likely means we could be getting more than Europe!
We kind of deserve this too. Nintendo of America has not given us a special edition game for over 2-3 years. NoE kept getting all of them.... I am still really salty we didn't get HW special edition.

However, this is a great time for everyone! Xenoblade might be getting the push it needs(a push that never happened in Japan) to become one of Ninty's most popular franchises.

I am totally going to preorder the special edition the second it comes out for pre-ordering.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Hello Shulks!
Ganondorf returns to the Bionis to share some news with you.
European gamers, great news for you!
You are getting a limited edition of Xenoblade X!
This comes with:
A metal case
A double sided poster
An art book
A map of Mira
And the game.
Congratulations!

US gamers
NoA has confirmed via Twitter that we will be getting "An Unique Xenoblade X special edition"!
This likely means we could be getting more than Europe!
We kind of deserve this too. Nintendo of America has not given us a special edition game for over 2-3 years. NoE kept getting all of them.... I am still really salty we didn't get HW special edition.

However, this is a great time for everyone! Xenoblade might be getting the push it needs(a push that never happened in Japan) to become one of Ninty's most popular franchises.

I am totally going to preorder the special edition the second it comes out for pre-ordering.
As someone who is NoE affected... neat! But I think NoE just tries to make up for never giving us earthbound when it originally came out. Explains so much.

XcerosZeku

Smash Rookie
NNID
X-Zeku
3DS FC
2878-9650-2437
I was wondering, what is everyone's opinion on Shulk in competitive meta?

TheHopefulHero

Smash Apprentice
I think Shulk's viable and can take on anyone. Yeah his attack are slower than everyone else because of his frame data, which causes him to have trouble with fast and light characters (looking at you Fox and Shiek) and give him a sense of predictability if you know how Shulk generally fights, but his strengths can out-weigh his negatives.

You won't find a character who has strong attacks with great range and someone who can adapt to multiple situations in a matter of seconds thanks to the Monado Arts. Some of the advance techs for Shulk can allow him to have a CQC-esque style, which raises skill bar even higher. This gives him insane potential and a huge learning curve because you're dealing with a lot of variable with the Monado Arts, but once you have the arts down, Shulk can hold his own against anyone.

- Biased because I'm a Shulk main? Maybe. But I still believe that there's more to this character we haven't touched on yet. And that's what makes me enjoy playing Shulk so much: to find what else we're capable of , because he really is a character like no other.

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
I was wondering, what is everyone's opinion on Shulk in competitive meta?
The way I see it, Shulk is high tier when played to his fullest potential with the tech we have available at this moment. He is considered mid tier now, but his matchup spread does not reflect on of a mid tier character. This is almost solely due to Monado Arts, which grant Shulk great versatility. We have some trouble with some of the top tiers, like Sheik for example, so I would put Shulk maybe below Fox/Mario/Falcon. Now, I might be a LIIIIIIITLE biased since Shulk is my main man, but I do think he is solidly above mid tier. The problem is, Shulk is one of the most technical characters in the game to master, which will turn a lot of people off.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Man, I so hard to play Smash Run without equipment and powers with Shulk, I can't even get to 9000 points...

XcerosZeku

Smash Rookie
NNID
X-Zeku
3DS FC
2878-9650-2437
I'm a Shulk main myself, I have a lot of trouble against Sheik and Fox and I don't quite know what to do.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Just got the most Smash Run points with no powers or equipment with Shulk.

I'm a Shulk main myself, I have a lot of trouble against Sheik and Fox and I don't quite know what to do.
It's ok. You're not alone :4shulk:

In all seriousness

Against Fex, just don't fall for his baits and space. Shield (not the art) a lot because he lacks safe options on shield (sans b-air and tipped f-tilt). His throws can't kill so his kills will purely come from hit confirms into u-smash or a tech read. Counter is surprisingly more useful because of this

Against Sheik, shield art is like the second coming of Jesus for us. Not being sarcastic. Seriously. Both of the top Sheiks in my country's scene couldn't combo me for sh*ts when I went on shield art. And even when they got to combo me on shield art, their damage was like lol
Monado Shield Jesus.png

relevant_pic.png

Last edited:

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
So I checked out the 1.1.0 patch notes......sadly very very sadly rosalina still hasn't been removed (sarcasm kinda)) or nerfed worst then diddy kong.....welp whatever just let her side and up smash continue to do 35% to everyone that looks at her. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that load of bs of a no skill spammy character.
Anyway I'm starting to post my replays that I save to YouTube and I thought I may as well share them to someone besides myself, so I'm asking you guys (mainly @ Berserker. Berserker. because there the moderator 'round these parts) is posting links to YouTube videos is not against the rules. I'd like to get those 2-3 extra views and to show you guys that I'm not all talk. Who knows maybe you guys with be feeling it with me, or you may learn a thing or two.

Last edited:
So I checked out the 1.1.0 patch notes......sadly very very sadly rosalina still hasn't been removed (sarcasm kinda)) or nerfed worst then diddy kong.....welp whatever just let her side and up smash continue to do 35% to everyone that looks at her. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that load of bs of a no skill spammy character.
Anyway I'm starting to post my replays that I save to YouTube and I thought I may as well share them to someone besides myself, so I'm asking you guys (mainly @ Berserker. Berserker. because there the moderator 'round these parts) is posting links to YouTube videos is not against the rules. I'd like to get those 2-3 extra views and to show you guys that I'm not all talk. Who knows maybe you guys with be feeling it with me, or you may learn a thing or two.
Rosalina is kinda hard to use imo but opinions. I guess

Feel free to share your replays in the video thread (or even in this thread) :)

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
At least Shulk got some minor buffs right? And I don't really think that Rosalina needs to change or get nerfed imo.

Yes, she is hard to use.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
There aren't many Rosalina's in my area - I fought one in the last tourney, but there's another guy in Top 5 who I've not had the pleasure of fighting yet. I imagine Smash would be awesome for her light weight. Speed and Buster both help in dealing with Luma in my opinion.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman

Ok, thanks @ Berserker. Berserker. I'll be sure to do so.
At least Shulk got some minor buffs right? And I don't really think that Rosalina needs to change or get nerfed imo.

Yes, she is hard to use.
Shes just ruining the game for me. I play smash mostly for fun, but i play 1v1 fg. Seeing her and that mutant ebola cell that fellows her to the pits of hell just ruins my fun and enjoyment.
She's not hard to use for me. I whent on a fg match, play cancer and ebola, absolutefight
stroyed a good shiek, then drank some bleach to cleanse myself from her cheapness.
And yeah Shulks got buffs on his backslash and up air.

And here's a couple of videos I've posted thus far.

And every ganon fight ever.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QfhCL_eeO3o

I'm sick of seeing her and it every other fight
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HAxDibL3ijM

And finally, the ultimate ganondorf combo.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LAHC3K8yMFk

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Ok, thanks @ Berserker. Berserker. I'll be sure to do so.

Shes just ruining the game for me. I play smash mostly for fun, but i play 1v1 fg. Seeing her and that mutant ebola cell that fellows her to the pits of hell just ruins my fun and enjoyment.
She's not hard to use for me. I whent on a fg match, play cancer and ebola, absolutefight
stroyed a good shiek, then drank some bleach to cleanse myself from her cheapness.
And yeah Shulks got buffs on his backslash and up air.

And here's a couple of videos I've posted thus far.

And every ganon fight ever.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QfhCL_eeO3o

I'm sick of seeing her and it every other fight
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HAxDibL3ijM

And finally, the ultimate ganondorf combo.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LAHC3K8yMFk
Gosh you called her cancer? Just say that you think she's annoying.

Face your worst enemy like a man on the second video...:glare: , I wouldn't do that even though I face a character I hate.

Uh... Ganndorf, I have a bit trouble fighting against this character with Shulk...

... Ganndorf, I have a bit trouble fighting against this character with Shulk...
Huh? How?

You have the range advantage and his fastest attack is F7 (Grab) or F8 (Jab). Your jab is frame 5 so even then, you can beat him out once he gets up close. Just be campy against Ganondorf. You already have the advantage at mid-range and you're not hopeless in close range because your jab is faster than Ganondorf's whole moveset. If you're careless with Ganon though, things can go south real quickly but this is a mentality for every character against Dorf

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Huh? How?

You have the range advantage and his fastest attack is F7 (Grab) or F8 (Jab). Your jab is frame 5 so even then, you can beat him out once he gets up close. Just be campy against Ganondorf. You already have the advantage at mid-range and you're not hopeless in close range because your jab is faster than Ganondorf's whole moveset. If you're careless with Ganon though, things can go south real quickly but this is a mentality for every character against Dorf
Yeah, I need to improve how I use Shulk's range.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
For Ganondorf, I find you have to be really careful. The most useful thing I try to remember is that at a distance he can really only down-B or side-B so I'm always expecting them if I'm in range. Make the most of Shulk's range, and when up close rely on stuff like jab and other quick attacks. Up-smash has a strange lack of endlag so if you're gonna punish it, make sure you're quick or you'll eat an ftilt. Speed works best, and Buster can too if you're playing well enough.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Huh? How?

Yea. If a ganon gets a good read or a non perfect shielded up tilt, you'll be losing a stock or almost taking 37% of damage. Use speed and jump arts. N-air and f-airs. And try getting good reads with counters, but do NOT spam the counter. You will get killed immediately.
Gosh you called her cancer? Just say that you think she's annoying.

Face your worst enemy like a man on the second video...:glare: , I wouldn't do that even though I face a character I hate.

Uh... Ganndorf, I have a bit trouble fighting against this character with Shulk...
About that second video...that was just in the moment, I was really pissed about fighting literally 6 other canc-rosalinas before that one.....all spamming pieces of trash with homing lumas of cheap death.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Yea. If a ganon gets a good read or a non perfect shielded up tilt, you'll be losing a stock or almost taking 37% of damage.

About that second video...that was just in the moment, I was really pissed about fighting literally 6 other canc-rosalinas before that one.....all spamming pieces of trash with homing lumas of cheap death.
Yeah... Lumas, sometimes they are very easy to take down, but when you are being juggled, Lumas can be very annoying.

Last edited:

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Yeah... Lumas, sometimes they are very easy to take down, but when you are being juggled, Lumas can be very annoying.
"Sometimes" also known as waiting at the other side of the stage waiting for rosalina to unglue the B button, then shielding the luma, then side smash. And as usual, after that, the spamming begins. If I were to nerf rosalina in anyway without messing with damage and range. I would make it so you can pocket and reflect the Ebola back at rosalina.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
"Sometimes" also known as waiting at the other side of the stage waiting for rosalina to unglue the B button, then shielding the luma, then side smash. And as usual, after that, the spamming begins. If I were to nerf rosalina in anyway without messing with damage and range. I would make it so you can pocket and reflect the Ebola back at rosalina.
I don't know if Kirby's Luma can be pocket by Villager or not... and I don't know if that will happen, Villager can't pocket Sonic's spring and Pacman's trampoline anymore.
And I only know that Luma can be reflect by Pit as seen in this gif. Perhaps this will make you feel better:

This Rosalina is a bit stupid, she should have just wait for Pit to get up or edge Smash with Luma's smash.

And quit with the Ebola....

Last edited:

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if Kirby's Luma can be pocket by Villager or not... and I don't know if that will happen, Villager can't pocket Sonic's spring and Pacman's trampoline anymore.
And I only know that Luma can be reflect by Pit as seen in this gif. Perhaps this will make you feel better:

This Rosalina is a bit stupid, she should have just wait for Pit to get up or edge Smash with Luma's smash.

And quit with the Ebola....
It does make me feel better. Thank you. And my new main is pit.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
It does make me feel better. Thank you. And my new main is pit.
I somewhat got good Pit when I used him for the first time, and then I mained Dark Pit because he is cooler. I even bought his amiibo.

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
Man, I'm loving Upthrow-> Air slash in Jump. Even on the character on it isn't a true combo it's still an excellent mixup since they normally just jump away and it setups perfectly for edgeguarding while doing good damage. Definitely gonna use it much more.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
I've owned this game since spring of 2014, but this is still very good! The more availability the better.

I just knew one day the game would be released on the eShop!! (just hope I don't cry over the reasonable eShop price compared to how much I paid for mine... Then again, having a physical copy of one of the greatest JRPGs has way more sentimental value)

Last edited:
Top Bottom