• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

What a surprise,another character that has Sheik as his worst MU.
No one beats Sheik though tbh (she's probably the worst MU for about 80% of the roster). Doubt anyone goes even against her. She just has the tools for everything so idk dude. Either adapt and outplay, or pray that she gets nerfed

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
No one beats Sheik though tbh (she's probably the worst MU for about 80% of the roster). Doubt anyone goes even against her. She just has the tools for everything so idk dude. Either adapt and outplay, or pray that she gets nerfed
Or be better than your opponent. But hell, I am happy that shulk got buffed, will await the whole patchnotes.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
I just feel bad that if somebody's main gets nerfed beyond repair.
That's the thing, everything is repairable by another patch. Rather, I'd say that it'd be bad if a character got nerfed bad enough that it dropped two or three tiers until the next patch. Except Sheik because...

Can confirm, Back Slash buff is much better of a buff than I expected. I decided to play some For Glory matches, and now it's much easier to pull out the move without whiffing it 90% of the time. In fact, I even got a Smash Art KO with it on a back-hit. \o/

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Since the buff, I've been using Bakku Surasshu a lot more now that's easier to utilize. The Uair adjustment is interesting too, trying to get accustomed to it. I never used Uair too often except for trying to do some funky kills

Thank god for the jab lock nerf, it was the worst man

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Playing some more Xenoblade again.

[collapse=]
I need to kill a Green Feris to get the materials for a replica Monado, but it seems just about impossible with my being at level 75. Should I just continue towards the beating heart of the Bionis? It seems most quests now are way too high for me to complete.
[/collapse]

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Playing some more Xenoblade again.

[collapse=]
I need to kill a Green Feris to get the materials for a replica Monado, but it seems just about impossible with my being at level 75. Should I just continue towards the beating heart of the Bionis? It seems most quests now are way too high for me to complete.
[/collapse]
Well, you're nearing the endgame stuff. Nearly every quest that is available now that wasn't before the big plot twist will be really tough... When I finished the game I wasn't too much stronger than you are now.
Probably not impossible to take one down now, though.
The next area will toughen you up for sure, but even then I don't know if it'll be enough. Making [those weapons] requires beating stuff ranging, like, Lv.75 -> 90 if I recall correctly. Though I think I set myself the challenge... I'd gotten maybe one of them before finishing the next area.

It's really your call. At this point there's a lot of cool stuff happening, you can get Colony 6 reconstruction done with materials from new places, you can accidentally stumble across superbosses (Lv. 100+) in old areas, get incredibly satisfying feelings from finally beating all these Lv. 70+ things on the Bionis' Leg and Colony 9... so you can go and do whatever you want.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It's really your call. At this point there's a lot of cool stuff happening, you can get Colony 6 reconstruction done with materials from new places.
On a scale of "tedious" to "I'm wasting my time," how bad is it getting the materials to reconstruct Colony 6?

I'm around level two-three on each part if I recall correctly.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
On a scale of "tedious" to "I'm wasting my time," how bad is it getting the materials to reconstruct Colony 6?

I'm around level two-three on each part if I recall correctly.
I think it goes up to Lv.5-6. Depends what the items you need are. On that scale, some items/upgrades are "tedious", while others would score roughly a "RNG why have you forsaken me?"

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
The complain of Foxes is really too much man. They only lost the bull**** "infinite" and the guaranteed Upsmash/grab out of it at the end. The new knockback allows for some nice footstool setup and they still have a lot of kill setup with Dair, jab lock and Upair and they can still punish someone with that powerful Upsmash for killing. They are a bit overreacting to this nerf. If Sakurai wants to nerf this is the right way to do it, eliminate super good setup that stop the Metagame and make this last advance. Fox relies too much on that jab- > Up smash before because it was the best option like Diddy HOO HAA. It wasn't as effective so the nerf was not necessary but it stopped the advancement of the metagame in the same way imo. The problem is that that Fox's nerf indirectly makes Sheik more OP. Before, Sheik wasn't always the best choice for all MUs because, while not being the second best character, Fox had better MU against a part of the roster because he could punish and play footsies better than Sheik. Now Sheik is the best choice for 95% of the MUs and without nerfs her dominance will become worse than Diddy pre patch. Sorry for the wall of text, but I feel it was somewhat inherent since Fox was our worst MU and now Sheik is.

9th place *******. Okay, not much to boast about but yeah, I did WAY better than I expected in a customs tourney. I had a custom Rosalina, 2 custom Villagers, and a customs Mario to deal with. Customs Villager is... actually not as hard anymore for me. I adapted, I guess. Rosalina is kinda easy with smash art and Mario? Out-range so yeah. I had a close match with a Falcon but lost 2-0 because I lost in the clutch :< then I got Sheik'd although it was super close. Shield art makes the match-up waaay better

I also won a lot of matches with Zelderly. D-throw > elevator is greeeat. I used Mario, Zelda, Sheik, Fox, Ike, Rosalina, and Kirby. I think I didn't flop with Mario, Zelda, and Fox. The rest, eeeeh. ****. I got 3rd in doubles with a Yoshi :p (Used Shulk and Mario)

OH, one last thing. There's this Smasher that came from BC. He knows Big D..... Captain something..... and he knows how @SBphiloz4 looks

Edit: Should have made my tag "Max.factor" instead of "Horo" :|
SO YEAH

Also, Fox is still really good. Lol, but the match-up feels much easier to be honest. Fox can still be scary though

Last edited:

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
How good is DV against custom Villager? I imagine it helps a lot because it should hit people hanging on the ledge (?)

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
Because you haven't fought against mine yet.
Yeah, you guys wouldn't a chance against a Shulk I met on For Glory. Seriously, he taught me that Back Slash off a cliff is the new meta. I was no match for his mastery of the character.

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Yeah, you guys wouldn't a chance against for a Shulk I met on For Glory. Seriously, he taught me that Back Slash off a cliff is the new meta. I was no match for his mastery of the character.
The moment when you find out... it was me afterall!

Jokes aside, I think I am atleast somewhat decent. Hence my name Master of Mediocre.

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Yeah, you guys wouldn't a chance against a Shulk I met on For Glory. Seriously, he taught me that Back Slash off a cliff is the new meta. I was no match for his mastery of the character.
That gave me a good laugh. Thank you.

My shulk is really bad.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
I can relate to this so well. I played some FG yesterday... and for some unknown reason, I Back Slashed way at the edge of the screen by accident when I meant to switch to Jump. yams my life...

Seriously, @ smokebomb12 smokebomb12 , I'm much worse, I'm sure. Lag doesn't help me learn though. I can still beat the local scrubs with Shulk any day in a free for all, even when three guys make a team against me.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
I'M REALLY INKING IT!

Monado Charger and Colony 9 Shoes, vest and goggles please.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I'm assuming DV and "Elevator" are Zelda terms, I'm kind of curious now.

I had a bit of a play with Shulk last night against CPUs. Man, Back Slash 2.0 is beautiful. The second they go for a bair, I'm on it. I'm also slowly learning the timing for MALLC. Just need to teach my muscle memory to do things other than full hop->fair->jab combo.
Maybe, just maybe, I won't scrub out when this big tourney comes around later this month.

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Nah. Even after playing this game for a few months, I STILL try to Back Slash to grab the ledge.
I can relate to this so well. I played some FG yesterday... and for some unknown reason, I Back Slashed way at the edge of the screen by accident when I meant to switch to Jump. yams my life...

Seriously, @ smokebomb12 smokebomb12 , I'm much worse, I'm sure. Lag doesn't help me learn though. I can still beat the local scrubs with Shulk any day in a free for all, even when three guys make a team against me.
Why is my shulk the worst on the planet?

Trying out @GuyWithTheFace's Metal Face pics.

Anyways,

Considering Shulk has the highest learning curve. Also, if you want to improve, cut out FG and replace it with smashladder. Also, read up around the Shulk boards. There are many useful things here which seem to go unread.

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
I really have to fight one of you one time, just for test my level. I feel it's pretty low but ehi, it's just for fun

TheHopefulHero

Smash Apprentice
Oh I 'm actually real nervous right now. There's a tournament in my area in which the top 2 will go on to compete in Dallas for another tournament in about a week. I signed up and I plan on using Shulk the whole trip, but I've only won the tournaments at venue once last year, and I"m up against a lot of people who've been able to win consistently (one who managed to win tournaments for 9 weeks straight). I'm not dropping out by any means, but I know I'm up against some good competition today. Wish me luck and I hope to bring good news tonight.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
I agree about the high learning curve, and that is part of Shulk's appeal to me. High difficulty = high reward, most of the time, especially in video games. And I've already picked up smashladder. I just go to FG on occasion to blow off steam and get a few [usually] easy wins. I have not garnered everything from the forum that I can though, yet. There's a lot to learn, not to mention put into practice. I have trouble timing my MALLCs, the last several times I attempted it, I was intercepted midair... And I can't do it period on stages with platforms. :p

TrueSapphire showed me the way of the Shulk, and I can barely win 5% of matches with him. xD I've got a long ways to go.

Good luck, @ TheHopefulHero TheHopefulHero !

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
Can we just all agree that my Shulk is best Shulk?
In seriousness playing for glory is more of a downgrade when you're fighting people like these. I find it funny that everyone in this video is a for glory stereotype.

TheHopefulHero

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm back from the tourney. I placed 5th out of 21 people, which isn't too bad in hind-sight, though it also means I won't be going anywhere. Got sent to losers by a Ness main and later eliminated by a ZSS both whom I"m friends with. It took some time to get over the slight disappointment I had at first, but I'm happy with how I did.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm back from the tourney. I placed 5th out of 21 people, which isn't too bad in hind-sight, though it also means I won't be going anywhere. Got sent to losers by a Ness main and later eliminated by a ZSS both whom I"m friends with. It took sometime to get over the slight disappointment, but I'm happy with how I did.
Good job man :D

I'm experienced against Ness so feel free to ask me about the match-up. ZSS? I'm not that experienced but I know a thing or two about the MU

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I think my issue against ZSS and Ness is that playing Shulk has taught me to have absolutely zero respect for my opponent's range. Ness' d/usmash, PK Fire, utilt and even fair will sometimes catch me off because his attacks are faster that ours. ZSS is even worse but at least I'm more aware of her range. Grab, Paralyser, fair, side-B, usmash... yeah. I find I need to be less aggressive, but that's me.

The elevator is also that one thing that makes Zelda actually fun to play as
This is easily the most satisfying kill in the game :laugh:

Last edited:

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
Wow, the boards are kind of dead today.

Anyway, I'm curious on what you guys' secondaries are and for what matchups you use them. I use Roy mainly for the Fox matchup, but I might start using him for the Good Captain and other rushdown characters as well. Except Sonic. That matchup sucks no matter which character I play. I also play Mario and Marth, but my Mario still has a long way to go and Marth is more of a character I use for fun. He might fare better against Jigglypuff than my other characters, but... eh? Apparently Mar-Mar does pretty well in the Roy matchup, too.

yaystrawberrypie

Smash Cadet
NNID
[MFiC]ySP
I keep alot of the other sword fighters under my belt. My secondaries though are also Roy and Pit. I use Pit to deal against more ranged fighters and so I can also annoy them with my own projectiles. And technically, we all have an Ike under our belt's since he and our herohom play a bit similarly. and @ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux some of the items aren't that bad to grab for the colony 6 restoration. There are two infamous items on that list (rainbow slug and black liver bean) that can become tedious to get.

Last edited:
This is easily the most satisfying kill in the game :laugh:
D-throw > Elevator is sooo satisfying to pull off. Haha
Wow, the boards are kind of dead today.

Anyway, I'm curious on what you guys' secondaries are and for what matchups you use them. I use Roy mainly for the Fox matchup, but I might start using him for the Good Captain and other rushdown characters as well. Except Sonic. That matchup sucks no matter which character I play. I also play Mario and Marth, but my Mario still has a long way to go and Marth is more of a character I use for fun. He might fare better against Jigglypuff than my other characters, but... eh? Apparently Mar-Mar does pretty well in the Roy matchup, too.
Just stick to Mario. No seriously, he's like... the best secondary in the game (barring Sheik)

Top Bottom