• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

D

Deleted member

If you were expecting Photoshop quality, you'll be disappointed.

@ Solfiner Solfiner is better at this stuff compared to my MS Paint magic.
He really grew his hair out.

I didn't expect it to look that high-quality, so consider me impressed.

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
View attachment 26132

After thinking about it, Riki is the Jar Jar Binks of Xenoblade; Monolith Soft probably tried to make him cute for the younger folk, but he ends up coming off as annoying for some. Not to mention that both characters speak in their own slang.
Whoa whoa whoa

Riki is love. Riki is life.

Jar Jar is a trash character. Riki has hopes and dreams, and a wife and children. D:

Edit: Wow sorry for double post

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't know if I should ask this here, but I guess it's the most apopriate place:
Since I couldn't find a XC copy[it's impossible to find one in my country], I've decided to watch chuggaa's playthrough and just finished episode 40, didn't know he was sick and it makes me sad that I will have to wait so much time for the next video, so, are there any other good playthroughs that I could watch? Because I can't resist waiting to see more of the game, really enjoying just watch it, I wonder if I actually played it, anyways, thanks for the help in advance

AFeralFurry

Smash Cadet
Hello, there, everyone.

Can't say I've ever played Xenoblade though I most definitely would have had I been able to find a copy I still happen to like how Shulk seems to play. I'm definitely giving him a try come the US release.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Hello, there, everyone.

Can't say I've ever played Xenoblade though I most definitely would have had I been able to find a copy I still happen to like how Shulk seems to play. I'm definitely giving him a try come the US release.
Welcome to the thread!

If you are ever able to snag a copy of the game, I'm sure that you will enjoy Xenoblade. I hadn't been able to get a copy myself. ^^''

Just six more days until release~

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I had Désiree mention something about that company way before I had 5-stars. Maybe she brings it up again later, but I remember talking to her when I was around Alcamoth and she mentioned her father's shop by name.

Anyway, I second your point. The exploration element really kicks in at Bionis' Leg.
Hmm...
Well I was just referencing the wiki, I can't remember what affinity I was when I came across that.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that smash roster I was going to make a while ago. Well, I might as well post what I got done.

What I had planned:

D

Deleted member

After some thought, I take back what I said earlier about Riki being the Jar Jar of Xenoblade.

Instead, I consider the entire Nopon race to be the Ewoks of Xenoblade.

inb4 @Enyalb and @ Solfiner Solfiner use their Photoshop/MS Paint magic.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
My top 10 xenoblade suicides.
Lol, some of these things I didn't even plan for XD.

-

Oh hey Myer Briggs discussion.

Well I would be careful with the Myers Briggs type indicator because it's not as accurate as common opinion believes. The test on 16 personalies may be better than others because it has a bar for you to drag, but there's no evidence that this version of the test has been scholarly reviewed. The funny thing about that is most personality psychologists hate the Myers Briggs :p.

It's certainly not bad indulge the test and then read the description with an air of skepticism, but don't accept it as absolute truth. It will be right to some extent. However, that extent is different from person to person. To avoid self fulfilling prophecies, keep in mind that you probably know more about your personality than it does. If it tells something you don't agree with, you're probably right.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Just bought Xenoblade Chronicles. You guys can be my guide through this as I figure the game out, right? :3

Honestly not the biggest fan of XC's combat system. This is going to get much more involved as time goes on, right?

D

Deleted member

Honestly not the biggest fan of XC's combat system. This is going to get much more involved as time goes on, right?
I can answer that with a yes. I wasn't really feeling it at first either, but as I progressed and unlocked new arts, it got more interesting.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
http://www.16personalities.com/

So I'm wondering what kind of people my fellow Shulk mains are. I've seen a lot of personality tests but this one is the best by far. It's super interesting, you should definitely check it out!

:059:
I've taken tests like this before. INFP master race!

Wonder what Shulk would be...

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I can answer that with a yes. I wasn't really feeling it at first either, but as I progressed and unlocked new arts, it got more interesting.
Good to hear.

Not to say the combat I'm not enjoying the game proper though. I've been grinding in the areas outside Colony 9 for the past hour so it must be doing something right. Found my first Super Rare Treasure Chest just now. #OohShiny

Plus, I can just listen to this nighttime theme for HOURS. <3

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I've taken tests like this before. INFP master race!

Wonder what Shulk would be...
Took the test as I thought Shulk would respond and got ENFJ.

"You are one of the Diplomats - an empathic and idealistic individual who enjoys exploring interesting ideas and prizes morality. You are known for your determination, intuitive skills and ability to inspire other people."

Agree? Disagree?

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
And then you were really feeling it?!
Just bought Xenoblade Chronicles. You guys can be my guide through this as I figure the game out, right? :3

Yeah, it gets better. It's not very involved at first, but that will change.

Well according to 16 personalities I have the most intelligent personality type. intp
#bowdowntomymightybrain
Apparently, despite my intelligence, I can't begin to comprehend the array of complex human emotions. Anyways..

Shulk's personality.

It's probably best we analyze him for what he is and then see if we can try to generalize him into one of those 16 types. I've done some consideration on this subject already, so here's some of my thoughts

Shulk values logical thinking higher than emotions. This is very evident in that one scene where Reyn is out of control with the Monado. Shulk knows that the Monado can't cut people so he wasn't at all worried about Fiora. This makes Fiora mad at him, to which he still does not back down from his logical perspective.

He's smart. As Reyn says, Shulk's the brains and Reyn's the brawns. Reyn doesn't need to think when he's got Shulk around.

He never really takes a stance on whether the food is good or not until he realizes that Fiora gets upset by him just always saying 'it's good.' There's another moment like this (although not necessarily the same scenario) in the ending cutscene of the game, where he just says something is good and avoids taking a true stance on it.

Shulk may be low on extroversion. Dickson comments that Shulk spends all of the time in the lab and doesn't get much sun.

He's not prone to express himself. There's that whole thing throughout the game where he gets a vision but doesn't let anyone know about it. He just kind of keeps it to himself.

He tries to get the full picture of why something is going on.
At the scene where Metal Face dies, Shulk wants to understand why the bionis/mechonis must keep on fighting. That is his fight.

Umm what else do we know? Well, he's scared of caterpillars... but that has nothing to do with anything...
Took the test as I thought Shulk would respond and got ENFJ.

"You are one of the Diplomats - an empathic and idealistic individual who enjoys exploring interesting ideas and prizes morality. You are known for your determination, intuitive skills and ability to inspire other people."

Agree? Disagree?
Disagree, for a few reasons. "unafraid to stand up and speak when they feel something needs to be said." I would say this conflicts with how Shulk does not speak up about the visions. Another example might be when he takes the Monado from Reyn, he has that big vision thing. He tells Reyn and Fiora that this has happened to him before. Lol, he never bothered to tell anyone about it?

Also, "ENFJs are natural-born leaders."
It actually seems to be Dunban that acts as leader through most of the game.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
And then you were really feeling it?!

Yeah, it gets better. It's not very involved at first, but that will change.

Well according to 16 personalities I have the most intelligent personality type. intp
#bowdowntomymightybrain
Apparently, despite my intelligence, I can't begin to comprehend the array of complex human emotions. Anyways..

Shulk's personality.

It's probably best we analyze him for what he is and then see if we can try to generalize him into one of those 16 types. I've done some consideration on this subject already, so here's some of my thoughts

Shulk values logical thinking higher than emotions. This is very evident in that one scene where Reyn is out of control with the Monado. Shulk knows that the Monado can't cut people so he wasn't at all worried about Fiora. This makes Fiora mad at him, to which he still does not back down from his logical perspective.

He's smart. As Reyn says, Shulk's the brains and Reyn's the brawns. Reyn doesn't need to think when he's got Shulk around.

He never really takes a stance on whether the food is good or not until he realizes that Fiora gets upset by him just always saying 'it's good.' There's another moment like this (although not necessarily the same scenario) in the ending cutscene of the game, where he just says something is good and avoids taking a true stance on it.

Shulk may be low on extroversion. ****son comments that Shulk spends all of the time in the lab and doesn't get much sun.

He's not prone to express himself. There's that whole thing throughout the game where he gets a vision but doesn't let anyone know about it. He just kind of keeps it to himself.

He tries to get the full picture of why something is going on.
At the scene where Metal Face dies, Shulk wants to understand why the bionis/mechonis must keep on fighting. That is his fight.

Umm what else do we know? Well, he's scared of caterpillars... but that has nothing to do with anything...

Disagree, for a few reasons. "unafraid to stand up and speak when they feel something needs to be said." I would say this conflicts with how Shulk does not speak up about the visions. Another example might be when he takes the Monado from Reyn, he has that big vision thing. He tells Reyn and Fiora that this has happened to him before. Lol, he never bothered to tell anyone about it?

Also, "ENFJs are natural-born leaders."
It actually seems to be Dunban that acts as leader through most of the game.
Good points. Thinking back on my answers, it seems I've screwed up because Shulk develops as a character and I didn't just take his personality at one point in time. For example, you make some very good points that Shulk thinks with logic first and emotions second, a point I'd agree on, though he does rely on his emotions more later. For example, the Mechonis Core scene.

The logical thing to do would have been to kill Egil. Egil was a direct threat to Shulk's homeworld and his friends at the time, however, Shulk spares him out of mercy and an idealistic belief that the Machina and Homs can live in peace.

This would seem to suggest a more emotional personality, leading at least partially to me coming up with ENFJ from the test. "An empathetic and idealistic individual" indeed. Ultimately, for a full analysis of his personality, we'll have to look more at why he does things rather than what he does.

Permit me to clarify.

We'll need to go through all four of the categories presented by the tests.

Extroverted vs. Introverted
For one, Shulk definitely does spend a majority of his time alone in the lab. However, he also works well with his group of friends and is generally pretty helpful to the people he meets. He is slow to trust his friends with his visions, however. It seems he isn't really "shy" so much as he simply prefers to be alone. I think, in the end, he'd be an introverted character.

Sensing vs. Intuition
According to a few different sources, this basically boils down to how one perceives the world. Important to note is that this is not how one judges the world. Sensing individuals tend to observe pure hard facts, the individual details, while intuition individuals prefer the big picture. I feel like this places Shulk firmly in sensing territory. A good example is a heart-to-heart with Dunban in Satorl Marsh. The two discuss the beauty of Satorl Marsh, which immediately leads to Shulk describing just how it's formed. He sees more beauty in the ether that creates the sight than the pretty blue lights themselves. Reyn would be an intuition character. He can never see anything but the big picture, leading to him having a pretty good understanding of the other characters while being, for lack of a better term, "book dumb."

Thinking vs. Feeling
This is how someone comes to their decisions. Do they come to it just from what logically makes the most sense, or do they come to their decisions based on what feels right? As you pointed out, Shulk, in the beginning, is unconcerned about Fiora when the Monado's blade passes through her, suggesting a more thinking personality. Shulk later swears revenge on the Mechon, which is a more "feeling" type thing, though Reyn says this is out of character for him. Overall, though, I would say Shulk is more thinking than feeling. He's methodical in the vast majority of what he does. Going back on what I spoilered above, that scene shows a refusal to let his emotions of revenge get in the way of what is logically the best thing to do. Don't get me wrong, he has an incredible amount of empathy, but that's not why he
spares Egil and Metal Face. He spares them because
despite his desire for revenge, he thinks it through and comes up with a new plan that is compatible with his empathy.

Reyn, on the other hand, is again a good example of "feeling." His desire for revenge is only lessened when Shulk explains his ideas, not when Reyn thinks things through on his own.

Judging vs. Perceiving

Judging individuals tend to prefer deadlines and strictness, while perceiving individuals can improvise and create new plans on the fly. I feel like Shulk would fit under perceiving, given his tendency to create new plans rather easily when someone throws a wrench in his old ones. A lot of his projects in the lab early on seem to be whatever he's in the mood for at the time. In one of the first cutscenes, he doesn't go out looking for part X, Y, or Z in the Mechon Scrapyard. He looks at the parts available and says "this would be great for X!"

So, in conclusion, I'd give Shulk an ISTP type personality.

"ISTPs love to explore with their hands and their eyes, touching and examining the world around them with cool rationalism and spirited curiosity. ISTPs are natural Makers, moving from project to project, building the useful and the superfluous for the fun of it, and learning from their environment as they go. Often mechanics and engineers, ISTPs find no greater joy than in getting their hands dirty pulling things apart and putting them back together, just a little bit better than they were before."

Yeah, that sounds like Shulk right there. ...Wow that is literally the exact opposite of what I came up with when I just plain took the test as him.

Last edited:

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
Good points. Thinking back on my answers, it seems I've screwed up because Shulk develops as a character and I didn't just take his personality at one point in time. For example, you make some very good points that Shulk thinks with logic first and emotions second, a point I'd agree on, though he does rely on his emotions more later. For example, the Mechonis Core scene.

The logical thing to do would have been to kill Egil. Egil was a direct threat to Shulk's homeworld and his friends at the time, however, Shulk spares him out of mercy and an idealistic belief that the Machina and Homs can live in peace.

This would seem to suggest a more emotional personality, leading at least partially to me coming up with ENFJ from the test. "An empathetic and idealistic individual" indeed. Ultimately, for a full analysis of his personality, we'll have to look more at why he does things rather than what he does.

Permit me to clarify.

We'll need to go through all four of the categories presented by the tests.

Extroverted vs. Introverted
For one, Shulk definitely does spend a majority of his time alone in the lab. However, he also works well with his group of friends and is generally pretty helpful to the people he meets. He is slow to trust his friends with his visions, however. It seems he isn't really "shy" so much as he simply prefers to be alone. I think, in the end, he'd be an introverted character.

Sensing vs. Intuition
According to a few different sources, this basically boils down to how one perceives the world. Important to note is that this is not how one judges the world. Sensing individuals tend to observe pure hard facts, the individual details, while intuition individuals prefer the big picture. I feel like this places Shulk firmly in sensing territory. A good example is a heart-to-heart with Dunban in Satorl Marsh. The two discuss the beauty of Satorl Marsh, which immediately leads to Shulk describing just how it's formed. He sees more beauty in the ether that creates the sight than the pretty blue lights themselves. Reyn would be an intuition character. He can never see anything but the big picture, leading to him having a pretty good understanding of the other characters while being, for lack of a better term, "book dumb."

Thinking vs. Feeling
This is how someone comes to their decisions. Do they come to it just from what logically makes the most sense, or do they come to their decisions based on what feels right? As you pointed out, Shulk, in the beginning, is unconcerned about Fiora when the Monado's blade passes through her, suggesting a more thinking personality. Shulk later swears revenge on the Mechon, which is a more "feeling" type thing, though Reyn says this is out of character for him. Overall, though, I would say Shulk is more thinking than feeling. He's methodical in the vast majority of what he does. Going back on what I spoilered above, that scene shows a refusal to let his emotions of revenge get in the way of what is logically the best thing to do. Don't get me wrong, he has an incredible amount of empathy, but that's not why he
spares Egil and Metal Face. He spares them because
despite his desire for revenge, he thinks it through and comes up with a new plan that is compatible with his empathy.

Reyn, on the other hand, is again a good example of "feeling." His desire for revenge is only lessened when Shulk explains his ideas, not when Reyn thinks things through on his own.

Judging vs. Perceiving

Judging individuals tend to prefer deadlines and strictness, while perceiving individuals can improvise and create new plans on the fly. I feel like Shulk would fit under perceiving, given his tendency to create new plans rather easily when someone throws a wrench in his old ones. A lot of his projects in the lab early on seem to be whatever he's in the mood for at the time. In one of the first cutscenes, he doesn't go out looking for part X, Y, or Z in the Mechon Scrapyard. He looks at the parts available and says "this would be great for X!"

So, in conclusion, I'd give Shulk an ISTP type personality.

"ISTPs love to explore with their hands and their eyes, touching and examining the world around them with cool rationalism and spirited curiosity. ISTPs are natural Makers, moving from project to project, building the useful and the superfluous for the fun of it, and learning from their environment as they go. Often mechanics and engineers, ISTPs find no greater joy than in getting their hands dirty pulling things apart and putting them back together, just a little bit better than they were before."

Yeah, that sounds like Shulk right there. ...Wow that is literally the exact opposite of what I came up with when I just plain took the test as him.
So Reyn would be ENFP? Like me, according to the test and my general opinion of me?
Man, what a bunch of jokers! NOW IT'S LEMMEH TIME!

Aaaanyway, let's think further why Shulk fits perfectly to ISTP.
Shulks strengths:
Optimistic and energetic. ISTP personalities tend to be cheerful, energetic individuals who always seem to have something to do. They rarely get stressed and prefer to go with the flow rather than plan their next steps.
Good at dealing with crisis situations. ISTPs do not mind taking risks (this can also be a weakness—see below) and can easily think on their feet, making snap decisions when necessary. Crises do not really scare them.
I'd say Shulk is rather cheerful and energetic (He's really feeling it!), and the "going with the flow" thing as well as the "Good at dealing with crisis situations" thing sounds a lot like Shulk using his future sight like he uses it! It's not like he has a lot of room to plan his stuff since his visions tend to be very vague at first and he needs to make quick decisions in Xenoblade multiple times, in the plot, in the battles...
Very creative and practical. ISTP personalities have a vivid imagination, especially when it comes to practical or mechanical matters. They find it easy to come up with novel ideas and do things in a way that no one has thought of before.
Shulk seems more like a guy who instead of just having ideas, he sees something and all pieces of the thing he sees come together. Like not just his machines, but after watching the cutscene where they save Otharon, this is a pretty character-establishing moment. He just sees the crane and thinks "ah, that's it".
Relaxed. People with this personality type live in the present and often simply go with the flow, not worrying too much about the future. This is one of the main reasons why they rarely get anxious about anything.
Shulk is quite chill, but he also worries about the future at the beginning. Let's think again about the Otharon scene. He worries about what they can do to save Otharon, but he instantly reminds himself of what Reyn said about changing the future. He doesn't get nervous at all and takes direct action, with sucess. I assume in that moment, he got a lot more confidence that he can change everything up, and he isn't all too worried about future events.
Know how to prioritize. Despite being quite unpredictable, ISTP personalities are very good at conserving their energy and releasing it only when necessary.
Definitely.
Both spontaneous and rational. ISTPs are able to combine spontaneity with logic, switching from one “mode” to another, depending on the situation. This makes them very flexible and versatile individuals.
Already explained enough in points "Very creative and practical" and "Good at dealing with crisis situations" as well as "Relaxed".
You might even say this makes the Monado Arts even more brilliant if you think about it; "flexible and versatile individuals"? Both in Xenoblades and in Smash's gameplay, Shulk is DEFINITELY that.

Weaknesses:
Can be very stubborn. ISTPs are not too sensitive when it comes to conflicts and criticism, but they can become very blunt and irritated if someone tries to criticize their habits, lifestyle, or ideas.
I just want to live my life as Homs, in a world without gods!
This quote there should pretty much say how far Shulk can go if someone disturbs his lifestyle.
(No spoilers: VERY FAR.)
Private and reserved. Surprisingly, ISTPs can be very difficult to get to know as they keep most of their thoughts and ideas to themselves, especially when it comes to private or sensitive matters.
He's... not exactly the guy who tells Reyn about the vision in Tephra Cave and then Reyn gets in danger as he just didn't knew about something Shulk did knew about *cough*
This could very well establish that he thinks about stuff on his own first before he involves anyone else.
Get bored quickly. People with the ISTP personality type may find it difficult to remain focused on something for an extended amount of time, with their thoughts drifting off to more interesting things.
Can someone with more Heart-to-Heart knowledge confirm this? I expect Shulk to be like that, but I need some proof.
May be insensitive. ISTPs tend to be very practical and logical, and they may often inadvertently hurt other people’s feelings by failing to recognize the importance of emotions.
Shulk's relationship with Fiora in the beginning of the game is proof. He just says Fioras cooking is "good" and nothing more, and that kinda disappoints her. Also, that one Heart-to-Heart. He can openly say that Fiora and him wanted to marry eachother, and he bluntly says to her he "quite likes the idea", making Fiora pretty flustered.
Enjoy taking risks. ISTP personalities are big risk takers and may often do that simply for the sake of having fun. For instance, they may escalate a conflict with a colleague just to see how they react.
Can someone with more Xenoblade experience confirm this? I do expect him to be like that, but I can't bring anything to the table here.
Dislike commitments. ISTPs like to review their obligations on a daily basis instead of committing to something for a very long time. This can cause significant problems in their romantic relationships.
Same as above, really.

I think ISTP is very appropiate for Shulk. Now we just need to fill in those gaps I left open!

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
In other words I'm the perfect Shulk player because I have the exact traits as him and we share the same personality ^_^

Raccoonman_900

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RMan_900
3DS FC
1418-6736-6840
Switch FC
SW-5350-0976-4122
Okay, I need some tips.
Can someone tell me what is the best way to face against Jade Face the first time?

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
More proof Shulk is an ISTP.
Intuitive (N) types, on the other hand, may make the ISTP somewhat uncomfortable as ISTPs often have trouble understanding their abstract ideas.
Reyn: But you did get on my nerves a bit back then. You were just too clever, man. It got under my skin.
Shulk: And I thought you were just this big, dumb brute. Hey, I guess that’s what we were arguing about.
Enjoy taking risks. ISTP personalities are big risk takers and may often do that simply for the sake of having fun. For instance, they may escalate a conflict with a colleague just to see how they react.
Shulk: [You’re scared of spiders!] Reyn, are you OK? You don’t look so good.
Reyn: Sorry, Shulk. Mind if we take a break for a bit?
Shulk: That’s not a problem at all. Hmm. I’m just trying to think when your phobia started. If I remember right, it was that time when...
Reyn: Come on, man, don’t remind me!
Shulk: [I played a prank on you!] I’m sorry, Reyn. I shouldn’t have stuck that spider in your shoe.
Reyn: Too right you shouldn’t! When I went to put my shoe on I nearly jumped out of my skin! You should be glad it didn’t make me scared of shoes!

Although this IS mutual...
Shulk: That reminds me. Do you remember why I put that spider in your shoe?
Reyn: Umm... Not really.
Shulk: You hid a caterpillar in my sock drawer! Did you forget?
Reyn: Haha! Oh yeah... Sorry, man. Hey, Shulk, don’t you have a phobia? There’s something you’re afraid of, but I can’t remember what.
Shulk: It’s caterpillars, Reyn.

Also, this:
Shulk: [You love spiders!] All these strange and exciting spiders around... No wonder you look nervous! I bet you can barely contain your excitement!
Reyn: You must be kidding! I’m starting to feel sick just looking at the ugly things!
Shulk:
Haha, gotcha! I was only joking, Reyn. Don’t be so uptight! It’s just a few creepy crawlies.

And this:
Reyn: You shouldn’t have done it in the first place, man! Why the heck did you have to go and stick a spider in my shoe?!
Shulk: [It needed a good home.]
If I recall, your shoe looked just the right size for the spider.

Oh man, Shulk has lots of fun with Reyn.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So I just thought I'd stick my head in and say Shulk has somehow found his way onto my list of potential favourite newcomers. Good on you, guys, your passsion and enthusiasm is nothing if not infectious.

I've never played Xenoblade Chronicles and yet I am incredibly excited for the sequel though I find it's becoming more and more intriguing to me. Ungodly prices aside, would anybody here recommend it? Is it cool to just jump into playing Shulk in Smash without really knowing the story, or should at least do some research beforehand?

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
  • Get bored quickly. People with the ISTP personality type may find it difficult to remain focused on something for an extended amount of time, with their thoughts drifting off to more interesting things.
Can someone with more Heart-to-Heart knowledge confirm this? I expect Shulk to be like that, but I need some proof.
From a heart to heart with Dunban:
Shulk: But you're right, Dunban. It has to be worth spending more resources to study this.
Dunban: Hey, where are you going?
Shulk: I'm gonna fetch my notes! *leaves*
Dunban: But we were enjoying this strange phenomenon! You can take the boy out of the lab, but not the lab out of the boy!

I've never played Xenoblade Chronicles and yet I am incredibly excited for the sequel though I find it's becoming more and more intriguing to me. Ungodly prices aside, would anybody here recommend it? Is it cool to just jump into playing Shulk in Smash without really knowing the story, or should at least do some research beforehand?
I'm pretty sure all of us here would recommend it... We are the Shulk thread, after all. Though I don't see why you'd need to play it to play Shulk in Smash.

For what it's worth, I spent $90 on it and never regretted it for a second.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm pretty sure all of us here would recommend it... We are the Shulk thread, after all. Though I don't see why you'd need to play it to play Shulk in Smash.

For what it's worth, I spent $90 on it and never regretted it for a second.
Oh, I'm just wondering if it's worth the investment. I prefer to at least be aware of the history behind the characters I'm playing as ahahah. >w<;;

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
So Reyn would be ENFP? Like me, according to the test and my general opinion of me?
Man, what a bunch of jokers! NOW IT'S LEMMEH TIME!

Aaaanyway, let's think further why Shulk fits perfectly to ISTP.
Shulks strengths:

I'd say Shulk is rather cheerful and energetic (He's really feeling it!), and the "going with the flow" thing as well as the "Good at dealing with crisis situations" thing sounds a lot like Shulk using his future sight like he uses it! It's not like he has a lot of room to plan his stuff since his visions tend to be very vague at first and he needs to make quick decisions in Xenoblade multiple times, in the plot, in the battles...
Shulk seems more like a guy who instead of just having ideas, he sees something and all pieces of the thing he sees come together. Like not just his machines, but after watching the cutscene where they save Otharon, this is a pretty character-establishing moment. He just sees the crane and thinks "ah, that's it".
Shulk is quite chill, but he also worries about the future at the beginning. Let's think again about the Otharon scene. He worries about what they can do to save Otharon, but he instantly reminds himself of what Reyn said about changing the future. He doesn't get nervous at all and takes direct action, with sucess. I assume in that moment, he got a lot more confidence that he can change everything up, and he isn't all too worried about future events.
Definitely.
Already explained enough in points "Very creative and practical" and "Good at dealing with crisis situations" as well as "Relaxed".
You might even say this makes the Monado Arts even more brilliant if you think about it; "flexible and versatile individuals"? Both in Xenoblades and in Smash's gameplay, Shulk is DEFINITELY that.

Weaknesses:
This quote there should pretty much say how far Shulk can go if someone disturbs his lifestyle.
(No spoilers: VERY FAR.)
He's... not exactly the guy who tells Reyn about the vision in Tephra Cave and then Reyn gets in danger as he just didn't knew about something Shulk did knew about *cough*
This could very well establish that he thinks about stuff on his own first before he involves anyone else.
Shulk's relationship with Fiora in the beginning of the game is proof. He just says Fioras cooking is "good" and nothing more, and that kinda disappoints her. Also, that one Heart-to-Heart. He can openly say that Fiora and him wanted to marry eachother, and he bluntly says to her he "quite likes the idea", making Fiora pretty flustered.
Can someone with more Xenoblade experience confirm this? I do expect him to be like that, but I can't bring anything to the table here.
Same as above, really.

I think ISTP is very appropiate for Shulk. Now we just need to fill in those gaps I left open!
Sounds like that would be the right myers briggs personality
In other words I'm the perfect Shulk player because I have the exact traits as him and we share the same personality ^_^

But the issue with this is the myers briggs itself. Just because you fall under the same category as someone does not mean you have the same personality. First, there's the matter of how much of a trait somebody has. For example, Shulk's level of extroversion (or introversion, inversely) is very likely different from yours.

There are also traits that myers briggs does not consider. Like if you take a look at the traits included in the Big Five Factors Model, the Myer Briggs does not have much to say about openness, conscientiousness, agreeableness, and neuroticism, which could all be seen as personality traits. It's kind of a narrow perspective of what personality is in my opinion. Is proneness to resort to aggression a personality trait? Honesty? How about tendency to be able to put off gratification for a later, greater reward (found with the Marshmallow Study, seems to predict later success in life).

So I just thought I'd stick my head in and say Shulk has somehow found his way onto my list of potential favourite newcomers. Good on you, guys, your passsion and enthusiasm is nothing if not infectious.

It's cool to jump in but it would be a lot better if you played Xenoblade

Also if you're planning to use Shulk, then you can head to this thread

It's full of info and opinions, theories and tips on Shulk. The opinions and theories waiting to be proven wrong :troll:

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
But the issue with this is the myers briggs itself. Just because you fall under the same category as someone does not mean you have the same personality. First, there's the matter of how much of a trait somebody has. For example, Shulk's level of extroversion (or introversion, inversely) is very likely different from yours.
... I'm not stupid

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

If you can't get a copy, I highly recommend watching a playthrough or cutscenes. Also, the soundtrack... It's really, really good.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Perhaps this is an unpopular opinion:
Random Xenoblade irritant, but I hate when this song cuts off the currently played song during battle:

It isn't a bad song by any means but I would just like to have "You Will Know Our Names" or "One Who Gets in Our Way" to play throughout the whole battle. Sometimes I purposely let my future just happen so that it doesn't cut off the current song. :p

Top Bottom