• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Add me to the Toad Brigade.

With the unveiling of Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker, his chances just skyrocketed. If not Smash 4, then he will definitely be in Smash 5.
I really hope so. My hopes were raised when New Super Mario Bros. Wii/U and especially Super Mario 3D World came out in 2009, 2012, and 2013. But I'm disappointed they meant nothing to Sakurai after all... and now in 2014, I have new hope for Toad in Smash 5 with the announcement of his own game. I also hope his own game is a success to justify a sequel and that Toads are still playable in future main Mario games like New Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario Galaxy 3, and/or Super Mario 3D Land/World 2. Toad needs more games to provide him with more material to work with into a moveset and to keep him important/relevant/recent by the time Smash 5 is announced.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Huh, I thought I would've been on the list of supporters already. Feel free to add me as you see fit (meaning as soon as is possible for you, haha).

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
OP has been updated with the list of supporters!

This is your Captain speaking;
In two-ish days Captain Toad is getting ranked again in the "Rate Their Chances" Thread. That moveset in the OP is horribly outdated, having been created back before 3D World was even released. If you guys want to try and come up with moveset ideas, I will attempt to draw a new one up to show off for his day.

Specials and Final Smash are mostly required but any ideas regarding his jumping mechanics(I.E. does he have them even?) would be great. Feel free to clump together to create "Da Best" Captain Toad moveset you can.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
At the current state, I think it's already too late for Captain Toad to be playable in Smash 4, just like Sceptile.
Honestly I think it's too late for anyone not called Chrom, Shulk or Chorus Boys/Men/Kids, but hey; DLC potential/Smash 5* support gathering can't hurt.

*or 6 if you count Wii U and 3DS as different numerical games like Sakurai does. Which sort screws up the "for" joke if one of them is "5"

Last edited:
At the current state, I think it's already too late for Captain Toad to be playable in Smash 4, just like Sceptile.

While I would agree that it's too late for Captain Toad if his new game was his first appearance, I could easily see Nintendo staff telling Sakurai that a Toad game is coming out based around the Captain Toad levels in Super Mario 3D World and he can build off that. The character himself has been around since 2007, and his appearance, personality, and some of his abilities (the headlamp stun) were shown off in Mario Galaxy 2 (2010). There's quit a bit to work with even without the Captain Toad game. And who's to say Sakurai hasn't had access to the Captain Toad game during it's development? It's in house.There is no reason they can't show him what they've been working on.

If Sakuai can make a character out of Greninja based on concept art, he can make a character out of Captain Toad based on the games he's been in so far

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
@ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad Could you add me to the supporter list? Captain Toad's game is one of the four Wii U titles I'm hyped for.

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
I always had a hard thinking about how a captain toad would be, it is a really interesting game and he would be an excellent choice for smash 5

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I imagine Captain Toad will be put in DLC. I have this strange feeling that they'll use him for another reason though. Though not fitting "Captain Toad" specifically, using him and giving him abilities from franchises that normally will not get representation makes sense to me. I could see him using Mario Party powerups and boost mushrooms from Mario Kart.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
@ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad Can you add me to the supporter list? Ever since the revel of Treasure Tracker I want him in Smash Bros. Also he's the Indiana Jones of the Mushroom Kingdom!

Makaronileo

Smash Journeyman
Captain Toad is Awesome, i support.
He would be the worst jumper in the game tho.

B: tiny turnup, like peaches but quicker and weaker

B>: minecart, works kinda like warios bike, but keeps going when CT Jumps out of it.

B^: flying buggy: a little controllable bug with wings from SM3DW pops out of nowhere. It is the only way for CT to get up on platforms, due to being a terrible jumper.

Bv: backpack, throwes out a random item from his backpack, these items can be a mushrom witch heals a bit, a gem witch can be throwen at people, or more CTTT items witch are not reveald yet.

FS: super Pickaxe, a much better verision of Hammer, all kinds of special attacks can be made while using it.
Or
Riding a giant Dragon.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
So Captain Toad treasure tracker is going to use Amiibo, right? Well here is my idea for utilizing it in Treasure tracker. What if when you scan a figure (say, Pit for example) you unlock a stage based on that character's universe! There could be a stage for each series that has a figure(s) (So Pit and Palutena could have the same stage) or each character could have their own stage. It's unlikely, but I think it would make a really cool addition to treasure tracker. Plus, with a feature like that, Captain Toad would be a shoe-in for smash 5!

Makaronileo

Smash Journeyman
So Captain Toad treasure tracker is going to use Amiibo, right? Well here is my idea for utilizing it in Treasure tracker. What if when you scan a figure (say, Pit for example) you unlock a stage based on that character's universe! There could be a stage for each series that has a figure(s) (So Pit and Palutena could have the same stage) or each character could have their own stage. It's unlikely, but I think it would make a really cool addition to treasure tracker. Plus, with a feature like that, Captain Toad would be a shoe-in for smash 5!
Yeeees, this should happen.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Why is this such a huge issue? We already have characters who don't jump in their own games and they are playable in Smash. Arrgh!!
And there have been countless counter-argument and fixes itt to it if it was considered an issue. People, when you see a thread, PLEASE READ IT OR DO SOME KIND OF RESEARCH BEFORE MAKING DUMB ASSUMPTIONS! It happens in almost every thread I make! Maybe I should make better threads or something then lol.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Honestly, "Captain Toad can't jump" is the new "Ridley is too big"
Can we make this a thing?

Ridley is too big actually worked wonders for gathering more Ridley support. I'm totally game for it helping out Captain Toad for the next Smash...hooray for inane arguments!

I'll just leave this here, it's so pretty!
Also this is my new favourite thing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Marth can't jump either. Guess he can't be playable.

Add me to supporters list. I love Toad, and if Captain Toad is playable, then we have 3 captains; Captain Falcon, Captain Olimar, & Captain Toad. 3 Captains event match please?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Updated the supporters list.

I plan at some point this week to get around to doing an overhaul on the OP.

Until then, I'd like to point out today is Captain Toad's day (alongside fellow royal guardian; Bandana Dee) in Rate Their Chances. Feel free to go over there and talk about your want for the little adventurous shroom, but be realistic about his chances.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Marth can't jump either. Guess he can't be playable.

Add me to supporters list. I love Toad, and if Captain Toad is playable, then we have 3 captains; Captain Falcon, Captain Olimar, & Captain Toad. 3 Captains event match please?
To be fair, be backflips in his original game after using the Falchion. He just can't jump any other way.

His backflip in Smash is actually based directly off of that backflip.

Olimar, on the other hand...

D

Deleted member

To be fair, be backflips in his original game after using the Falchion. He just can't jump any other way.

His backflip in Smash is actually based directly off of that backflip.

Olimar, on the other hand...
Ivysaur can't jump I don't think.

Not Jumping is a horrible argument against a character. His jump height could be low with a high fall speed maybe.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am serious, if people want a Toad to be playable they should ask about one that can jump >.<
The playable Toad in Smash should represent all Toads. It shouldn't be one specific Toad, he is just "Toad"... just like how the playable Yoshi in Smash represents all Yoshiz and is just "Yoshi". Yoshi in Smash has moves based on Super Mario World (Final Smash) and Yoshi's Island games (all other moves). Keep in mind that THE Yoshi didn't even do any of these in Yoshi's Island games because he was born at the end of Yoshi's Island DS.

Toad should have two costumes. One based on the classic Toad and one based on Captain Toad. Both costumes should come with their own palette swaps.

Classic Toad
1. Red spots / blue vest (THE Toad)
2. Red spots / red vest (Red Toad / Mushroom Retainer)
3. Blue spots / blue vest (Blue Toad)
4. Yellow spots / yellow vest (Yellow Toad)
5. Green spots / green vest (Green Toad)
6. Purple spots / purple vest (Purple Toad)

Captain Toad
1. Red spots / red bandanna (Toad Brigade Leader)
2. Blue spots / blue bandanna (Blue Toad)
3. Yellow spots / yellow bandanna (Yellow Toad)
4. Green spots / green bandanna (Green Toad)
5. Pink cap / white spots / red outfit / white bandanna (Toadette)
6. Tan cap / brown spots / purple outfit / yellow bandanna (Toadsworth)

That way, Toad can represent the most important and well-known Toads through costumes and palette swaps in Smash. Fans of the classic Toad can pick him... and fans of Blue Toad can pick him via Classic Toad's palette swaps... and fans of Captain Toad can pick him via Toad's alternate costume. Everyone wins.

On to moves, Toad should have moves from the main Mario platformer games and from Toad's own games. Toad should have THE Toad's moves and abilities from Super Mario Bros. 2 and Wario's Woods. Toad should also have Blue Toad's moves and abilities from New Super Mario Bros. Wii/U and Super Mario 3D World. Finally, Toad should have Captain Toad's moves and abilities from Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. The goal is to have a playable Toad who can represent all the Toads in Smash.

Makaronileo

Smash Journeyman
Not being able to jump is sort of a Iconic thing to Captain Toad, why is he should be the worst jumper in the game, but still able to jump.

Also Captain Toad is a good way to represent the Toads with someone who acctualy is a person, not Just A Toad.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Smash would overflow with Captains. And I think his "C. Toad cant jump" thing would translate into "Little Mac levels of recovery".

I thought of stage for Captain Toad and I figured I'd post it here. It's kind of hard to explain, so I drew up a rough sketch. I made it in MS Paint, so I apologize for its crappiness.

Captain Toad's Trek:
A very typical stage at first glance: a few platforms for players to battle it out and a hole in the middle. Nothing fancy. But the stage's main appeal is the camera rotates and changes the stages lay out. Here's the example:

Side 1 is the angle the level starts at: two floating platforms on the sides, a hole in the middle, and you can walk off the sides. Then a warning goes off and the camera rotates to the right. At this angle there is one platform in the middle and the stage has ledges on either side. The stage stays at one angle for a minute and a half and then rotates again changing the stages setup. There would be four sides total to keep things simple. When the stage rotates the characters stay on the same plane. In other words, if you are standing on the far right side of the screen when the camera rotates you will still be standing on far right side after the rotation.

I would love it if the level was based off the stage in Captain Toad with the crocked bridge. The crocked bridge would change the stage dynamic each rotation,and the water would be a factor as well. But with the camera changing I think that is too much going on in one stage. I think a simple design like the one above would be interesting, but not enough to over whelm the players.

Last edited:

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
I'm in. I may not be a well known member, but I want this little guy in Smash. I love those puzzles way too much!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So apparently Luigi can be playable and be inside Nabbit's bag... why cannot Toad be playable and be inside Peach's dress? :urg:

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Double post; I know, I know, I'm sorry... but shut up a second, you critical individuals you.

Captain (Yoshiand)Toad's announcement:

• Updated the OP to include some information about Captain Toad.
  • Added arguments section. Any aid in this would be appreciated.
  • Naturally the supporters list has been updated.
Any other things the Brigade would like to see in that OP?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Looks good. You need to include the "Captain Toad can't jump!" argument. It's incredibly stupid that it needs to be countered.

Top Bottom