• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So thought of the day: would Sakurai want to outsource to other character designers for Reimu's design? I mean, realistically, we'd have Reimu use one of her designs from the official titles, i.e. ZUN or Twilight Frontier, but then there's the fact that the official manga, as well as the fangames out on the eShop right now bearing the Touhou name (Luna Nights, Genso Wanderer, etc.), show Reimu in a multitude of other styles and Touhou has been known for its extensive fanworks. Hell, maybe Sakurai could draw his own Reimu design to use for the game. But I'm getting off-topic here, would Sakurai do this?

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
So thought of the day: would Sakurai want to outsource to other character designers for Reimu's design? I mean, realistically, we'd have Reimu use one of her designs from the official titles, i.e. ZUN or Twilight Frontier, but then there's the fact that the official manga, as well as the fangames out on the eShop right now bearing the Touhou name (Luna Nights, Genso Wanderer, etc.), show Reimu in a multitude of other styles and Touhou has been known for its extensive fanworks. Hell, maybe Sakurai could draw his own Reimu design to use for the game. But I'm getting off-topic here, would Sakurai do this?
I kinda doubt that he will pull her design outside her own source material other than Bullet Hell particularly ZUN's artstyle, I could actually see him mix and match different design of her clothes or just made one that is original to Smash.

For specific ZUN artstyle tho I kinda leaned in to her Undefined Fantastic Object look.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Probably a mix. Richter has much less appearances, and he still incorporates elements from all his designs; Heck, the Vampire Killer even takes after the Lord of Shadows iteration. Reimu would probably take elements from various different designs from throughout the official works.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So the most crucial question...

How long will her Gohei be?
General agreement is that between the shooters and her character, Reimu would be a more defensive character. Based on that, I'd say her gohei would be the length of most swords, somewhere between Link's Master Sword and Marth's Falchion.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
General agreement is that between the shooters and her character, Reimu would be a more defensive character. Based on that, I'd say her gohei would be the length of most swords, somewhere between Link's Master Sword and Marth's Falchion.
So somewhere between the length in PCB and PoFV as that game pretty much have the shortest Gohei length that is actually useful in a short range combat, unlike her EoSD Gohei which is pretty much look like a dagger. Additionally, it could also be used in a whip motion similar to Simon and Richter as it's pretty much extended the hitbox as you could interpret the stick as a handle of a sword and the shide (the zig-zag paper that is attached) as the blade but wobbly.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Thought I'd post this here
The benefit of being a Touhou fan (or a Reimu supporter) is that you are already expected someone to make a remix out of the music from Touhou which is pretty common in the community, I'd say that GGalactigal did a good job merging Reimu's multiple theme into one as it's something Smash always does especially for short music.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
yo, a reminder in case you already think 2021 is entirely without Touhou news.
January 29th (Friday) at 20:00 JST
there will be a follow up to the Danmaku Kagura New Years livestream called Danmaku Kagura New Years SP (Special. No, not Smash.)

Of course, its hosted by the devs of the mobile game, Unknown X (Aquastyle's JYOUNYA)
as guest appearances theres going to be ZUN,
Beatmario (COOL&CREATE),
Sumire Uesaka (Voice Actress and Singer who previously appeared in the livestreams)
and Noda Crystal (Manzai comedian who also appeared in previous Touhou livestreams)

Since Unknown X's goal is boosting Touhou Projects general popularity, the broadcast will likely have some variety outside the Danmaku Kagura mobile game announcements. Part of the program was them asking people on Twitter to submit their new years wishes for 2021.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
nevermind i figured out how to make it work

Last edited:

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Rakugaki Kingdom (Graffiti Kingdom) has a launch livestream for their mobile game the day before the Danmaku Kagura stream.
ZUN will also be there. Dang, what a busy livestream week for ZUN. 2 consecutive days.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
There was a problem fetching the tweet
The Twitter account for Smash Ultimate Stock Icon hold a poll on who's character you want their stock icon to be remade and one of the options is Reimu. So come on and vote for her!

Last edited:

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
I checked the Japanese time and now it's already past the Danmaku Kagura stream.
If anyone fluent in Japanese and English saw this, what did the stream say?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Purple summarized it here:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
omg its so cuuuuuute 🥺

Hey uh

if this game goes on sale next should I probably get it

it’s probably the only Touhou spin-off on the eshop I don’t already own (which is Luna Nights, Azure Reflections and Gensou Skydrift) that appeals to me - nice big roster of fan favorites, great music, art, gameplay looks fun, and the graphics don’t look like butt (looking at you Kobuto V)

its basically Dissidia Final Fantasy but Touhou

... ok actually spell bubble looks cool too cuz it has some famous remixes

is that another must buy

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Got some translated connection charts from the stream. They're fanmade, mind you, but it's still nice to look at.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Got some translated connection charts from the stream. They're fanmade, mind you, but it's still nice to look at.
These are rather interesting, but I have some points that may need some clarification:
1) Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Kasen rather tense around Suika or something? That's the impression I got when they actually meet for the first time in Wild and Horned Hermit.
2) Junko being fond with Reisen is interesting. The Moon Rabbits were often associated with the Lunarians, right? Why would she be just "fond of" Reisen and not, I dunno, be out to kill her or torture her or something?
3) Aya and Momiji hate each other? That was an interesting revelation. I was always of the impression that it was one-sided hate towards Aya from Momiji.
4) Shinmyoumaru being kept in a cage??? Reimu, the gal needs her space! And she's a princess too, for crying out loud!
5) What's with the "You're a hermit..." thing going from Miko to Youmu? Am I missing something?

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
These are rather interesting, but I have some points that may need some clarification:
1) Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Kasen rather tense around Suika or something? That's the impression I got when they actually meet for the first time in Wild and Horned Hermit.
2) Junko being fond with Reisen is interesting. The Moon Rabbits were often associated with the Lunarians, right? Why would she be just "fond of" Reisen and not, I dunno, be out to kill her or torture her or something?
3) Aya and Momiji hate each other? That was an interesting revelation. I was always of the impression that it was one-sided hate towards Aya from Momiji.
4) Shinmyoumaru being kept in a cage??? Reimu, the gal needs her space! And she's a princess too, for crying out loud!
5) What's with the "You're a hermit..." thing going from Miko to Youmu? Am I missing something?
  1. I haven't read the manga, but I'd assume it refers to them working together in the past
  2. Not sure. Maybe it's a mistranslation of just being interested in her. Remember that as of LoLK, Reisen has become too impure to return to the Moon and now identifies as an Earth Rabbit, so Junko wouldn't associate her with the Moon.
  3. The original text was "like cats and dogs," same as Marisa and Alice. Blame the translators for that one.
  4. Think of it like a shark cage. Shin's so small, the birds would eat her without it. Evidently, the conditions were nice enough for them to bond. Heck, Shin even went as far as to make a kimono for Reimu (Though she wears it more like a headdress since Shin forgot to make it human-size)
  5. Miko noticed Youmu was lacking two "desires" - That is, attachment to life and envy of death, being half-phantom - And mistook her for a hermit (Despite Youmu denying such a thing multiple times)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
  1. I haven't read the manga, but I'd assume it refers to them working together in the past
  2. Not sure. Maybe it's a mistranslation of just being interested in her. Remember that as of LoLK, Reisen has become too impure to return to the Moon and now identifies as an Earth Rabbit, so Junko wouldn't associate her with the Moon.
  3. The original text was "like cats and dogs," same as Marisa and Alice. Blame the translators for that one.
  4. Think of it like a shark cage. Shin's so small, the birds would eat her without it. Evidently, the conditions were nice enough for them to bond. Heck, Shin even went as far as to make a kimono for Reimu (Though she wears it more like a headdress since Shin forgot to make it human-size)
  5. Miko noticed Youmu was lacking two "desires" - That is, attachment to life and envy of death, being half-phantom - And mistook her for a hermit (Despite Youmu denying such a thing multiple times)
Ah, makes sense. Thanks.

sam☆jam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MiracleJeanacle
3DS FC
1032-1249-3789
Here's my idea for Reimu's stage. It's just Hakurei Shrine but since Gensokyo is home to so many powerful residents, it would show off the incidents that occur there. There's normal Gensokyo, the false moon from IN, the scarlet mist from EoSD, and the palanquin ship from UFO.

I think a Gensokyo Tour would be cool too, show off the Scarlet Devil Mansion and the Netherworld maybe.

View attachment 232767
Not sure if this is the one you’re thinking of, but i did a similar mockup Zyliee Zyliee

Zyliee

Smash Cadet
Not sure if this is the one you’re thinking of, but i did a similar mockup Zyliee Zyliee
Images are spot on with what I remember, but I remember there was an image showing the time frames one could play the stages and what characters would appear. The best I recall was that the Blood Moon event was 7pm-8pm host side as the 'rare' option to appear for characters. There was also a dusk one from 4pm to 7pm

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I've been giving a little thought to the idea of Reimu being voiced in Smash, and honestly, there are two points in favor of this:

1: THE NATURE OF TOUHOU FANWORKS: Touhou has been known for its fanworks, and this has been brought up on this thread time and again. But some fanime (Memories of Phantasm, Midsummer Day's Dream, etc.), Touhou fan animations (Touhou M-1 Grand Prix, and I've even seen some fandub Osana Reimu/Reireimu), and fangames (Genso Wanderer), have given Reimu more than a few actors to her name. It wouldn't hurt for Sakurai to find another to cast as Reimu for Smash. Which leads me to my second point:

2: SAKURAI HAS GIVEN MUTE SMASH CHARACTERS VOICES BEFORE: In Smash 64, Sakurai gave voice actors to Ness and Captain Falcon, characters who at the time were mute in their source material. Melee did the same thing with Roy and Ice Climbers. Then Brawl came along and gave a voice actor to Lucas, who ALSO wasn't voiced in Mother 3 at all, as well as Pit, who at the time was never voiced before this appearance. And now, Smash Ultimate has done this for Arusu, Solo, and Eight, three alternate costumes of the Hero who prior to this game have had no voices.

Now I'm not saying Sakurai's gonna give Reimu a voice actress. Just that it's more likely than one would think.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Quick question, have we ever gotten a map of Gensokyo? Or at least, has a fan tried to construct one? I'm planning something out, and I think a map would help out a lot with it.
Well, someone DID make the entirety of Gensokyo in Minecraft, as painstakingly accurate to source material as possible:

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nabbing from Elma thread, ignore the last sentence as it only applies to Elma but other than that ye I ain’t worried
So tonight’s tourney is projectile users

normally I’d be worried

but considering the 90’s tournament happened a whole ass pass before Sephiroth I’m not worried anymore

and technically Elma uses swords in addition soooooo

7NATOR

Smash Master
Hmmm

While I personally wouldn't count Reimu out, and I'm not even predicting Reimu currently, I think this is kind of a big deal

Touhou's whole thing is Projectiles, so I think a tournament based around the main thing about Touhou/Reimu is something to take into account. The Lightweight and 90's Tournament took place before Sephiroth was revealed, but Sephiroth main thing isn't being from the 90's or being lightweight. It's about him having that long Sword of his and being the Main Villain/Boss of one of the most Iconic games

At the least, I don't think Reimu is FP9 definitely not.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Hmmm

While I personally wouldn't count Reimu out, and I'm not even predicting Reimu currently, I think this is kind of a big deal

Touhou's whole thing is Projectiles, so I think a tournament based around the main thing about Touhou/Reimu is something to take into account. The Lightweight and 90's Tournament took place before Sephiroth was revealed, but Sephiroth main thing isn't being from the 90's or being lightweight. It's about him having that long Sword of his and being the Main Villain/Boss of one of the most Iconic games

At the least, I don't think Reimu is FP9 definitely not.
Another whole thing about Touhou is almost every character in it is a female. Perhaps a tourney exclusively for female only fighters would coincide with Reimu if she gets in.

Soulor

Smash Cadet
Well, someone DID make the entirety of Gensokyo in Minecraft, as painstakingly accurate to source material as possible:

Woah, that's cool.

I remember I shared one japanese user who made Touhou Minecraft videos. They too were remaking locations and such. Mostly to go along with their unique little story involving the Touhou characters in the Minecraft world. Eh, they never completed it though because of health issues and um them literally working them self to death on replicating the large scale locations and what.not. Tragic, I loved their videos and it's already been a few years since their final posted video. Entertaining stuff, have yet to see anything done quite like it.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Another whole thing about Touhou is almost every character in it is a female. Perhaps a tourney exclusively for female only fighters would coincide with Reimu if she gets in.
Well, I don't know if it's sounds far fetched but they could make a tourney event all about magic or "spells" like spell card, granted there's not much character that utilize magic heavily in their moveset, including elemental attack

zriL

Smash Journeyman
That tourney event is decent hit against Reimu. I went over the past tourney events and there are very few instances of tourney that would have included a future character, that is if you ignore these ones :
  • the first one : "Hero and Villains" which was already missing expected characters like Cloud, Kirby, Corrin, etc. It would have obviously featured the future Sephiroth, and maybe Byleth
  • all the release dates ones (80s, 90s, 2000s) because they would rule out everything except recent characters.

For example, Sephiroth succesfully dodges every bullet by having these features :
  • no mushroom
  • no hat
  • not a eater
  • no tool
  • not lightweight (edit : he actually is)
  • has a projectile
  • not royal
  • not a pilot
  • not arm centric
  • not from Zelda
  • not from DK
  • not from Kirby
  • not electric
  • no reflector
  • not round
  • not spikey
  • no axe, no bow, no lance
  • not a Pokemon
  • not heavy
  • not from Mario
  • not a duo

Here are the only few instances that don't really work, but they are quite small omissions :
  • Steve has an axe so he could have been included in Byleth's tourney
  • Min-Min could have been included in the electric themed tourney (even Fox is there)
  • Min-Min could have been included in the reflector themed tourney (debatable)

And that's it, these tourneys might be better clues than I expected.

In defense of Reimu, we don't even know if she would get 3 projectiles and be elligible for that tourney. Reimu mostly has 2 main projectiles (needles and amulets), Touhou's gameplay is always centered around only 2 shooting modes. You really don't need lots of projectiles to make a moveset for Reimu. And finally, Touhou is more about dodging projectiles rather than shooting projectiles, so I'm not sure that tourney would be the best theme for a Reimu release Tourney, although the tourney description about "projectiles flying everywhere" is a good fit. I would be still be more worried if we got a dodging tourney or a flying tourney.

Speaking of flying tourney, it would be a good fit for Reimu if they make her fly in some way. And this theme is really easy to think of and has a lot of characters that fits. It's almost weird that it hasn't already happened.

Another glaring omission is the sword-themed tourney, it's the most obvious theme when you look at the roster, and they didn't use Sephiroth to make it happen while it was the perfect occasion. I wonder if this means we'll get another sword character.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
That tourney event is decent hit against Reimu. I went over the past tourney events and there are very few instances of tourney that would have included a future character, that is if you ignore these ones :
  • the first one : "Hero and Villains" which was already missing expected characters like Cloud, Kirby, Corrin, etc. It would have obviously featured the future Sephiroth, and maybe Byleth
  • all the release dates ones (80s, 90s, 2000s) because they would rule out everything except recent characters.

For example, Sephiroth succesfully dodges every bullet by having these features :
  • no mushroom
  • no hat
  • not a eater
  • no tool
  • not lightweight
  • has a projectile
  • not royal
  • not a pilot
  • not arm centric
  • not from Zelda
  • not from DK
  • not from Kirby
  • not electric
  • no reflector
  • not round
  • not spikey
  • no axe, no bow, no lance
  • not a Pokemon
  • not heavy
  • not from Mario
  • not a duo

Here are the only few instances that don't really work, but they are quite small omissions :
  • Steve has an axe so he could have been included in Byleth's tourney
  • Min-Min could have been included in the electric themed tourney (even Fox is there)
  • Min-Min could have been included in the reflector themed tourney (debatable)

And that's it, these tourneys might be better clues than I expected.

In defense of Reimu, we don't even know if she would get 3 projectiles and be elligible for that tourney. Reimu mostly has 2 main projectiles (needles and amulet), Touhou's gameplay is always centered around only 2 shooting modes. You really don't need lots of projectiles to make a moveset for Reimu. And finally, Touhou is more about dodging projectiles rather than shooting projectiles, so I'm not sure that tourney would be the best theme for a Reimu release Tourney, although the tourney description about "projectiles flying everywhere" is a good fit. I would be still be more worried if we got a dodging tourney or a flying tourney.

Speaking of flying tourney, it would be a good fit for Reimu if they make her fly in some way. And this theme is really easy to think of and has a lot of characters that fits. It's almost weird that it hasn't already happened.

Another glaring omission is the sword-themed tourney, it's the most obvious theme when you look at the roster, and they didn't use Sephiroth to make it happen while it was the perfect occasion. I wonder if this means we'll get another sword character.
From that list that you mentioned there's still possibility of Reimu coming with a tourney theme all about:
  • Female Character
  • Character with high air mobility (debatable)
  • "Magical" character
  • Genre representation (Schump, Stealth, Platformer and etc.)
That's all I got.

Top Bottom