• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Well, I found something of great Touhou related interest on Twitter just now.
Holy crap, I've been wanting this so much. Glad to see this guy has picked up that project again. Can't wait to see the full version.

Also hello to all the new friends in this thread!

Zennistrad

Smash Rookie
All the Fighters' Pass characters were decided by Nintendo and not by Sakurai himself, right? I think that might make her as the choice for Fighter Pass 5 a bit less likely.

I definitely do want her, but if they're going to reveal the next character at a very mainstream event like The Game Awards, it will likely be a character that appeals to the mainstream.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
All the Fighters' Pass characters were decided by Nintendo and not by Sakurai himself, right? I think that might make her as the choice for Fighter Pass 5 a bit less likely.

I definitely do want her, but if they're going to reveal the next character at a very mainstream event like The Game Awards, it will likely be a character that appeals to the mainstream.
That's my only worry atm. I'm hoping we get an announcement for the fifth fighter before that event. They can always tease someone else there instead.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Nintendo has directly sold Touhou music before, so there is a connection for Nintendo to go through with it.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace

I actually have completely opposite opinion.
The reason I think Reimu has a chance to begin with is because of Nintendo. If Sakurai out right admitted that he chose every picks for DLC then I would not have consider her as a possibility tbh.
I know Sakurai loves shmups and I do believe he has played a Touhou game at least once but I can't think of him being into the franchise. May be he liked the game itself, but I don't think Touhou girls are his kind of characters. I just can't picture him expressing his love to Touhou like he did with Terry and SNK.

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice

Sakurai decides which characters becomes a DLC fighter or not based on a list of characters Nintendo gives him. No doubt Reimu would be on that list and i am confident that Sakurai did pick her.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
This is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while, god damn I hope it gets completed. I'm actually astonished by how much OC has been made for Reimu being included in smash now that she's becoming more and more of a popular choice. God does it make me happy.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely not Smash related, but I laughed my ass off at this

I remember that one. Actually got me into buying them so the marketing definitely worked on me. I was surprised to even find them in Germany but they are quite tasty, even if they are very brittle and always make a mess.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Now that I realize, Reimu has never had official English and Japanese voice actresses, right? Have to wonder if an inclusion in Smash could change all that (assuming that Reimu has both English and Japanese voice lines). There is no doubt that someone who lands the part of Reimu in Smash would become her most prominent voice.

If I recall, Melee marked the first time Roy was voiced (in Japanese because FE characters weren't dubbed back then), yet his Japanese voice actor never officially voiced Roy in a Fire Emblem game until Heroes.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Now that I realize, Reimu has never had official English and Japanese voice actresses, right? Have to wonder if an inclusion in Smash could change all that (assuming that Reimu has both English and Japanese voice lines). There is no doubt that someone who lands the part of Reimu in Smash would become her most prominent voice.

If I recall, Melee marked the first time Roy was voiced (in Japanese because FE characters weren't dubbed back then), yet his Japanese voice actor never officially voiced Roy in a Fire Emblem game until Heroes.
Mainline Touhou probably won't ever have any kind of character voicing, but it is an interesting question whether other fangames might converge on a particular actress. I could definitely see it happening.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Well, we have the voice actors from the the Genso Wanderer games, published by Aquastyle. I know that those are officially published fangames but the voices kinda stuck with me and the dub, from what I can tell, isn't bad. I suggest getting in touch with whoever voiced Reimu. Though, I loved Genso Wanderer and I'm currently playing Lotus Labyrinth, so I am a bit biased towards those games.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
I took a look to find some voice actresses that got a chance to voice Reimu (in Japanese, as no works were ever dubbed in English). Here's what I got:
  1. Mai Nakahara (Juvia in Fairy Tail, Estelle in Tales of Vesperia, Nagisa Furukawa from Clannad) voiced Reimu in the fan-made Touhou: A Summer Day's Dream miniseries.
  2. Rie Murakawa (Kagero and Est in Fire Emblem, Ram in Re:Zero) voiced Reimu in Square-Enix's mobile game Lord of Vermillion III.
  3. Satomi Sato (Ritsu in K-On!, Wendy in Fairy Tail) voiced Reimu in Genso Wanderer. Worth noting that Satomi is the Japanese voice of :ultcorrinf:.
  4. Akari Kito (Nezuko in Demon Slayer) voiced Reimu in Touhou Cannonball. She's also the latest voice actress to voice Reimu.
I can see Nintendo continuing in vein of the doujin nature and cast a different voice actress for Reimu in Smash if they decide not to have either of the four reprise, but there is no doubt that whoever voices Reimu in Smash would become the most prominent voice of the character.

I am also curious if they will cast an English voice actress for Reimu. Whoever lands the part will become her most prominent English voice.

Last edited:

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
I honestly think if Reimu got in she'd probably be mute with her only real "audio" being sounds from the mainline games. I just want her death sound to be the iconic "PI-CHUUUUN!"

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'd really want her to have an English voice if she did have lines, as I think a more accessible personality would go a long way towards winning over people who don't know the character. With that said, I think doing her Link-style would be fine.

I honestly think if Reimu got in she'd probably be mute with her only real "audio" being sounds from the mainline games. I just want her death sound to be the iconic "PI-CHUUUUN!"
PICHUUUUUUN is definitely non-negotiable.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I hope a bunch of items explode out of Reimu when she gets KO’d too. Just like how they went the extra mile for Mega Man’s death animation.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
Honestly a big part of me wonders, if Reimu was revealed at TGA but her trailer was a complete smashified version of Bad Apple with all the char's silhouettes and an arrange of the song done by the vocalist of Lovelight, would that be enough to hype people up for her even if they hadn't heard of her before? It'd at least be a damn ****ing sweet reveal video.

Last edited:

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Well, we have the voice actors from the the Genso Wanderer games, published by Aquastyle. I know that those are officially published fangames but the voices kinda stuck with me and the dub, from what I can tell, isn't bad. I suggest getting in touch with whoever voiced Reimu. Though, I loved Genso Wanderer and I'm currently playing Lotus Labyrinth, so I am a bit biased towards those games.
Waaaait a minute. Genso Wanderer dubbed? Who voiced Reimu in English, then?

Narp

Smash Cadet
I hope a bunch of items explode out of Reimu when she gets KO’d too. Just like how they went the extra mile for Mega Man’s death animation.
What if they instead of using the standard stock icons used the Touhou life icon for her stocks instead. Makes me also think of the possibility of bombs being incorporated somehow, like weaker spell cards, maybe even letting you refill them through enough attacks. Like Wonderwing charges, just not permanently gone.

Pichun is a definite must.
Waaaait a minute. Genso Wanderer dubbed? Who voiced Reimu in English, then?
Dubbed can just mean voice acted in general.

Last edited:

Alla wala town

Smash Rookie
After seeing so many new people create accounts to show support for our wonderful shrine maiden, I finally decided to do the same thing :D
I definetly think it would be super interesting seeing her as a character in my favorite switch game !

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Honestly a big part of me wonders, if Reimu was revealed at TGA but her trailer was a complete smashified version of Bad Apple with all the char's silhouettes and an arrange of the song done by the vocalist of Lovelight, would that be enough to hype people up for her even if they hadn't heard of her before? It'd at least be a damn ****ing sweet reveal video.
Considering the style of the Joker reveal trailer, it would also kind of be a continuing theme.

Narp

Smash Cadet
Considering the style of the Joker reveal trailer, it would also kind of be a continuing theme.
I wonder how much fan content they would base the potential reveal trailer on, or if it would be all original ZUN-based content. Fan works are a huge part of Touhou after all, so it could go either way.

D

Deleted member

I wonder how much fan content they would base the potential reveal trailer on, or if it would be all original ZUN-based content. Fan works are a huge part of Touhou after all, so it could go either way.
That would be very interesting considering the character's background as an indie character.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I personally hope it'd be 100% fanwork free, as Touhou is so much more than the mainstream memes. Canon Reimu has personality in spades, and could easily carry a CGI trailer that's her just interacting with other characters.

D

Deleted member

I personally hope it'd be 100% fanwork free, as Touhou is so much more than the mainstream memes. Canon Reimu has personality in spades, and could easily carry a CGI trailer that's her just interacting with other characters.
I for one believe that her trailer will be WoL related akin to Hero's.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Reimu goes to investigate the World of Light incident...

Then it's just a montage of Reimu beating everyone up for no good reason. >_>

But I actually would like to see them lean into the fan-sphere. While it can stand on the merits of the official games alone, the fact that the series has become such a phenomenon with a large number of robust communities supporting and building upon is really what sets it apart.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
I personally think the Bad Apple one would be the best way to reveal her since the music video is filled to the brim with personality and is quite iconic, it'd be a downright awesome way to end off the fighter reveals too. Though knowing Sakurai I bet the reveal for her would be fantastic either way, a good reveal trailer can do a hell of a lot in making you interested in a character you might not even know. I for one didn't know much about Terry or SNK at all but his reveal trailer is by far my favorite for just how much love it screams for the series, it was such a fun watch and got me genuinely interested in checking out SNK's library.

D

Deleted member

While you guys are going about, here is a meme I posted on the Newcomer Thread.
3g21du.jpg

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'm not too familiar with how the Touhou community does meme posts but...yeah.
The Reimu for Smash twitter is actually unironically a good way to look at it. I'd say it mostly stems from the early days of 4chan. ****posting is pretty ingrained in the western Touhou fandom because of it.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
https://twitter.com/CensorDope/status/1194006081267101696
Oh well look at this. If this means we're getting a direct this month with another trailer instead of TGA, I think there's a relatively decent chance it might be our girl if they're going to save the first post-pass character announcement for the game awards.
Hoping it'll be sometime this week since I'll be in NYC. I would love to watch a Nintendo Direct at the Nintendo World Store and that opportunity won't be this likely ever again, imo.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Hoping it'll be sometime this week since I'll be in NYC. I would love to watch a Nintendo Direct at the Nintendo World Store and that opportunity won't be this likely ever again, imo.
If you end up in one of those crowd reveal videos that would be amazing!

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
If you end up in one of those crowd reveal videos that would be amazing!
I try to avoid cameras, but something like that might be inevitable. >_>

Eitherway, I get to NYC on Thursday morning which is prime direct day. But I doubt it's gonna happen this week. I'm placing my bets on the 21st or for the 1 year anniversary.

Top Bottom