• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Like that one 4chaner says, I wish we could get sources on this...
So do I, but at the same time, it's understandable. He says that's all he can say because he doesn't want to get anyone in trouble, which makes sense.

In other news, I hope there's some Touhou news during the indie direct tomorrow. Hopefully we get some Luna Nights release date for the US.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
"Reimu is heavily rumored for Smash in Touhou music circles"
He says that's all he can say because he doesn't want to get anyone in trouble.
Nonsense. Every time. Such rumors do not exist. Its just yet another epic guy on 4chan.

In other news, I hope there's some Touhou news during the indie direct tomorrow. Hopefully we get some Luna Nights release date for the US.
I personally wouldnt expect to see anything Touhou or Doujin related at this Indie World presentation.
And it also seems the whole lineup has already been leaked the day before.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So do I, but at the same time, it's understandable. He says that's all he can say because he doesn't want to get anyone in trouble, which makes sense.

They all can say that and use it as an excuse. I mean i want Reimu but some random guy on a chan site rarely has correct info

I wasnt expecting touhou in the direct and i was right. Its indie but these directs tend to focus on western indies.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I support Reimu! I don't know her very well as of now, but I might want to try her series later.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Nonsense. Every time. Such rumors do not exist. Its just yet another epic guy on 4chan.
*shrug* I don't judge based on the location of leaks. I judge based on information and, if possible, the source of the information. This particular one has nothing one way or the other for me to judge it's actual veracity with me only bringing it up due to the similarities to recent events despite being posted 10 months ago. To me, it comes off as oddly specific.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Just figured I'd check back here since I haven't done so in a while. You guys enjoying WBaWC? I reckon it's the best new game in quite a while even if it's a bit on the easier side.

Anyway, as for those leaks, I wouldn't pay attention to them if I were you. In the end, if she's in, she's in, and vice versa. No leak is going to change that. All we can do is be patient until Nintendo reveals the next character.

BTW, the last one is kinda buried in the middle of this thread, so I may as well post another invite to the Reimu Supporters Discord Server that I'm a mod for. It's gotten considerably more organised since then, and the trolls who used to be there have either left or been kicked, so if any of you are interested in joining, it'd be cool. https://discord.gg/6GwBh36

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Just figured I'd check back here since I haven't done so in a while. You guys enjoying WBaWC? I reckon it's the best new game in quite a while even if it's a bit on the easier side.
I absolutely love it, easily my favorite Touhou since UFO. I'd recommend playing without hypers if the game is too easy for you. Makes the whole thing a lot more interesting.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
The source for the Reimu leak has been found.

Status Update: Professional Clown Main
Kyo (king of fighters) and Reimu are my 2 most wanted 3rd party primary reps as of now who aren't deconfirmed nor confirmed. Both are just as Iconic as Snake (Metal Gear), which is why I support them both.

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
So if we really end up getting Terry that would make me a little bit more hopeful for Reimu. It clearly shows that they're willing to add characters from niche franchises who carry a lot of history with them instead of just picking the biggest third party icons out there right now.
Consider me carefully optimistic

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So if we really end up getting Terry that would make me a little bit more hopeful for Reimu. It clearly shows that they're willing to add characters from niche franchises who carry a lot of history with them instead of just picking the biggest third party icons out there right now.
It also gives me more hope for Goemon from the Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja series to get in. He is my most wanted character now that :ultkrool:, :ultridley:, and :ultbanjokazooie: are all in.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I would love Reimu, but I would rather have Kyo as a 1st SNK rep instead of Terry.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
It also gives me more hope for Goemon from the Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja series to get in. He is my most wanted character now that :ultkrool:, :ultridley:, and :ultbanjokazooie: are all in.
It really feels like it's anyone's game for the last slot at this point. Very refreshing after a month of nothing but "It's 100% gonna be Crash and Doomguy guys"
I would love Reimu, but I would rather have Kyo as a 1st SNK rep instead of Terry.
I don't know anything about SNK besides how influential they were back then for the fighting game scene. Would rather have Kyo too because he looks cooler and has fire but I think Terry is more popular and iconic (?)
Anyway, doesn't really change my point

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
It really feels like it's anyone's game for the last slot at this point. Very refreshing after a month of nothing but "It's 100% gonna be Crash and Doomguy guys"

I don't know anything about SNK besides how influential they were back then for the fighting game scene. Would rather have Kyo too because he looks cooler and has fire but I think Terry is more popular and iconic (?)
Anyway, doesn't really change my point
I think Kyo and Reimu are both equally iconic as Snake (Metal Gear). And all are more iconic than Terry. But I think Terry would make a great 2nd King Of Fighters rep.

However, I think Bomberman would make a better addition than all four of those characters above. But I still want Reimu and Kyo.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Same. The only SNK Character I think would hurt Reimu's chances are Nakoruru, and at this point, I don't see her as the likely SNK Rep.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Same. The only SNK Character I think would hurt Reimu's chances are Nakoruru, and at this point, I don't see her as the likely SNK Rep.
Why would Nakoruru effect Reimu's chances. I know Reimu and Nakoruru look like siblings, although they're not even blood related.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
That's exactly why. lol. They have nearly the same attire and (as a silhouette) look almost identical.
I understand, it's like saying Ken would effect Ryo's (King of Fighters) chances because they look like siblings or cousins despite not being related.

So far my ratio of fighters in the fighters pass of wanted to unwanted is 2-1. If Reimu or Ryu Hayabusa is the next DLC fighter, It would increase my ratio to 3-1.

Last edited:

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
CloverWorks made an animated PV for Quatro A's (Aniplex) mobile board game Touhou Cannonball.
Check it out~

There was a problem fetching the tweet

zferolie

Smash Hero
Man i wish we could get an actual tougou anime or big budget studio chibli like game...

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
So, with Sans getting a Miit outfit and Toby hanging around with Sakurai here is a little reminder to this tweet: https://twitter.com/tobyfox/status/999210405959426048?s=20
You think they were talking about what inspirations Toby had when creating Undertale?
I don't think anything needed to be discussed. If you're familiar with Touhou, the inspiration is outright clear as day. I'm sure Sakurai already knew that.

Not gonna lie though, that sans costume scares the hell out of me because that does open Reimu up to the same fate. Regardless, She's really the only indie left standing at this point and with no clear leaks pointing to a particular direction, I'm glad she's still in the game.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I don't think anything needed to be discussed. If you're familiar with Touhou, the inspiration is outright clear as day. I'm sure Sakurai already knew that.

Not gonna lie though, that sans costume scares the hell out of me because that does open Reimu up to the same fate. Regardless, She's really the only indie left standing at this point and with no clear leaks pointing to a particular direction, I'm glad she's still in the game.
I think Shantae has a good chance still. I really don't think Spirits deconfirm, especially if more DLC is coming, maybe even 10 more after the first pass. That means they can make spirits fighters as they most likely weren't even thinking of the dlc characters for them when they made spirits.

Shantae and Reimu are the top picks for Indie reps atm. Both I would love.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I think Shantae has a good chance still. I really don't think Spirits deconfirm, especially if more DLC is coming, maybe even 10 more after the first pass. That means they can make spirits fighters as they most likely weren't even thinking of the dlc characters for them when they made spirits.

Shantae and Reimu are the top picks for Indie reps atm. Both I would love.
FWIW, I'm talking specifically DLC#5. Shantae and Reimu have always been the ones I bet on to be the first indies to be playable in Smash.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
With Shovel Knight, Shantae and Undertale already represented with no fighters and with Sakurai being interested in Indie games, then surely Reimu has to be the chosen one.

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
I think part of the reason they chose Sans for a costume instead of a spot of on the roster is harder to make a fighter out of Sans or any undertale character really than Shantae or Reimu. Its possible they may add in another undertale character, but from i have seen in the past i think people would favor Reimu as the indie rep instead.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I think part of the reason they chose Sans for a costume instead of a spot of on the roster is harder to make a fighter out of Sans or any undertale character really than Shantae or Reimu. Its possible they may add in another undertale character, but from i have seen in the past i think people would favor Reimu as the indie rep instead.
While I do think that may be part of it, I think history plays a bit part of it. Undertale is new, While popular, it has not solidified itself as a major player. One of the things I say a lot in Smash discussions is that "Popularity is not a free ticket into smash". I've always felt there was more to it, especially for a third party. Undertale lacks the longevity. There's no saying if it will hold it's popularity 5 or 10 years from now. I can look at every Smash roster and can't Say "You can tell this game is from X time period". Every character included in Smash is timeless in some manner and right now, Undertale lacks that aspect.

sam☆jam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MiracleJeanacle
3DS FC
1032-1249-3789

theres a rumor resurfacing from months ago. Anyone know about it? I want reimu as much as you all do but we haven’t gotten Rare Replay and Banjo certainly isn’t advertising for Nintendo (Sakurai even said as much today) so I can’t get behind it.

Maybe there were plans in the works to bring Rare to switch but they had to just settle for just Smash? idk

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

theres a rumor resurfacing from months ago. Anyone know about it? I want reimu as much as you all do but we haven’t gotten Rare Replay and Banjo certainly isn’t advertising for Nintendo (Sakurai even said as much today) so I can’t get behind it.

Maybe there were plans in the works to bring Rare to switch but they had to just settle for just Smash? idk
This rumor hinges on Rare Replay which is currently MIA. Sabi says it's coming, but it has yet to come to fruition. Even then, there's nothing in there that is "unguessable".

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
While I do think that may be part of it, I think history plays a bit part of it. Undertale is new, While popular, it has not solidified itself as a major player. One of the things I say a lot in Smash discussions is that "Popularity is not a free ticket into smash". I've always felt there was more to it, especially for a third party. Undertale lacks the longevity. There's no saying if it will hold it's popularity 5 or 10 years from now. I can look at every Smash roster and can't Say "You can tell this game is from X time period". Every character included in Smash is timeless in some manner and right now, Undertale lacks that aspect.
I share the same view against Minecraft for smash. Yes its popular enough worldwide and well known to the point where it may get a stage and a few music tracks to go along with it, it still doesn't have that longevity and history yet. Shantae does have a bit of longevity but honestly in terms of characters with history Reimu still wins there.

AoCF port for switch was confirmed this year in May. I haven't found any new information since then. Especially with Gensou SkyDrift since summer is nearly over and some of us have been waiting since they said it would be released sometime in the summer.

Rikarte

Smash Ace

I think Reimu is either gonna be playable or not in at all. Sakurai said that Sans was a popular request so I'm going to assume that that's the reason he got a costume while Reimu doesn't have nearly as much fan support.
Also don't forget about Quote. While not nearly as old as Touhou, Cave Story was the game that globally kicked of the indie craze and since this one is well known in pretty much every region I could see Sakurai going for him instead of Reimu. Frisk could still happen too but I doubt it since we got the Sans costume now and Undertale is lacking in the history department as you've explained in another post.

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
I think Reimu is either gonna be playable or not in at all. Sakurai said that Sans was a popular request so I'm going to assume that that's the reason he got a costume while Reimu doesn't have nearly as much fan support.
Also don't forget about Quote. While not nearly as old as Touhou, Cave Story was the game that globally kicked of the indie craze and since this one is well known in pretty much every region I could see Sakurai going for him instead of Reimu. Frisk could still happen too but I doubt it since we got the Sans costume now and Undertale is lacking in the history department as you've explained in another post.
The Cave Story devs deconfirmed Quote. He's not in.

Top Bottom