• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It seems the guy from the Twitter post was just as confused as everyone else. Taking people's stances as word when told fake.

Currently in speculation right now Steve is leaning towards being playable, Hitagi has been consistently on the mark to me with sharing potential characters (Katalina), staying silent about others, and updating his info to let everyone know if it's not 100% fact.

Supposing that Steve spirit is real, it would need to be a sort of homage to his original design so it isn't the character itself. That way the speculation could push further to analyze the Cirno "spirit", since it's a plausible choice than any other random character like Patchouli.

Sadly, fact is the leaked spirits were datamined and listed through code, not typical blurry images from early birds. Shoot x) x(
It was confirmed that the image was in fact fake.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Another supporter:

66. Idktehnub

(I'm assuming DragonBlaze is 65)

Last edited:

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
Japan did a poll on who they want the most as DLC, and Reimu is in the honorable mention!
Link

Although the credibility of this poll may be in question, since other honorable mentions include anime characters such as Luffy from One Piece, Levi from Attack on Titan, and Rimuru from mother****ing Tensura (a show that literally just aired this year and isn't even a classic)..... But still, for me, this tells me people are at least aware of the possibility of Reimu in Smash and are okay with it.

In case you're wondering, the proper Top 5 are as follows:
5. Crash Bandicoot
4. Geno
3. Sora
2. Rex
1. Bandana Waddle Dee

Last edited:

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
Joker being in Smash, this opens up a lot of doors. It's useless to talk about possibility now, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. Including our girl Reimu!

Last edited:

guitargamer57

Smash Cadet
Joker being in Smash, this opens up a lot of doors. It's useless to talk about possibility now, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. Including our girl Reimu!
That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw the trailer.
Persona 5 is not even in the NS, so they could take many other things in count when choosing a character. Hoping for Reimu!

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Reimu's chances have just shot up, since the last barrier to her conclusion: "not having a presence on Nintendo platforms", has... well, it hasn't been destroyed, but more like it was simply erased from existence, never having existed at all. Reimu still doesn't fulfil that criteria, but NEITHER DOES JOKER. Persona 5 was never on Nintendo. Heck, Persona Q was the only game in the entire series to be on Nintendo, and that wasn't even so much of a Persona game as it was an Etrian Odyssey game with a Persona coat of paint over it. Sakurai isn't choosing the DLC this time around. Nintendo itself is. Sakurai's rules don't apply here!

We've still got four more chances for ol' Red-White to join the fray. And pretty good chances too.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Reimu would be a really good ground breaking indie character, along with sans. Although my personal "Indie spot" is also in competition with Crash/Doomguy/Porky. There's no guessing tbh! I feel like there's going to be some characters leaked, but I'm willing to bet we'll have one more "out of nowhere" challenger too.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Reimu got an invitation to smash but was too lazy to go.

some one tell her that she can get a lot of donations hosting fights at the shrine!

Artist:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Reimu's chances have just shot up, since the last barrier to her conclusion: "not having a presence on Nintendo platforms", has... well, it hasn't been destroyed, but more like it was simply erased from existence, never having existed at all. Reimu still doesn't fulfil that criteria, but NEITHER DOES JOKER. Persona 5 was never on Nintendo. Heck, Persona Q was the only game in the entire series to be on Nintendo, and that wasn't even so much of a Persona game as it was an Etrian Odyssey game with a Persona coat of paint over it. Sakurai isn't choosing the DLC this time around. Nintendo itself is. Sakurai's rules don't apply here!

We've still got four more chances for ol' Red-White to join the fray. And pretty good chances too.
Persona is an spinoff of the Shin Megami Tensei franchise, which has been on Nintendo consoles before and even crossed over with Fire Emblem.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah i forgot to say, Joker does open the door greatly for her chances. Regia said it will be all characters we would never expect. Reimu is up there and also is a gaming icon, which the persona series is as well.

Time for our shrine maiden to show up!

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
As much as I love Reimu. With Nintendo having a strong history of shamelessly pandering to western tastes, I have a hard time believing Nintendo would add an almost exclusively Japanese character to the roster even if she is almost as popular as Mario in Japan and even had a Flower named after her by Japanese Scientists.

If you think Joker would have gotten in if PS5 sold mainly in Japan only, you're kidding yourself.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
As much as I love Reimu. With Nintendo having a strong history of shamelessly pandering to western tastes, I have a hard time believing Nintendo would add an almost exclusively Japanese character to the roster even if she is almost as popular as Mario in Japan and even had a Flower named after her by Japanese Scientists.

If you think Joker would have gotten in if PS5 sold mainly in Japan only, you're kidding yourself.
Correct me if I'm wrong; but I thought Touhou had a HUGE underground fanbase here in the States?

Troykv

Smash Master

I think at this pont the only rules for third-party are:

- Being quite popular/iconic (that depends of the kind of third-party, extra points if you're both like Sonic or Snake).
- Having some kind of appearance in a Nintendo-Game, but doesn't need to be a major one.
- Both Parties needs to agree (and this kind of obvious anyway)

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
l

Touhou has far more reach than what you give credit for. As what OptimisticStrifer OptimisticStrifer said, it definitely has a dedicated community in the West. Touhou had a huge internet presence, and stuff like Bad Apple and IOSYS animations are well known in Western otaku communities. Sure, it’s a franchise that appeals primarily to the Japanese audience, but it’s still leagues more recognizable in the West than your average JP-exclusive franchise.

There’s also the western released fan games. While you may argue that the fan games don’t count, the fact that they exist is proof that Touhou has at least some form of presence in the west.

Also don’t forget that Lucas, and the Fire Emblem characters in Melee were Japan exclusive characters. Adding a franchise like Touhou is not outside the realm of possibility.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
l

Also don’t forget that Lucas, and the Fire Emblem characters in Melee were Japan exclusive characters. Adding a franchise like Touhou is not outside the realm of possibility.
Marth and Roy in Melee seems to be a one-time exception seeing as Nintendo hasn't really tried doing anything like that since. Lucas may have been Japan-only but he probably wouldn't have gotten in if Ness wasn't an extremely popular character in Smash 64 and Melee.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
Marth and Roy in Melee seems to be a one-time exception seeing as Nintendo hasn't really tried doing anything like that since. Lucas may have been Japan-only but he probably wouldn't have gotten in if Ness wasn't an extremely popular character in Smash 64 and Melee.
The Smash fandom likes to make arbitrary rules to try and predict the roster, with varying degrees of success. Time and time again, these rules get broken. Before Brawl, everyone thought it was impossible for Snake and Sonic to get in because of their 3rd party status. Before Smash 4, everyone thought it was impossible for Cloud to get in because FF7 was never released on a Nintendo console. And now, we have Joker, whose entire franchise has never been on a Nintendo console. And now, more arbitrary rules are being made to justify Joker's inclusion. This is why I don't really take roster predictions seriously - people try to find patterns where they don't exist.

Now in regards to the DLC, we actually have a pretty informative statement on Reggie about the methodology of their DLC decisions:
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/1...blematic-of-smash-bros-ultimates-dlc-approach
“It's emblematic of the approach that Mr. Sakurai and the team are taking with the DLC,” Fils-Aime told IGN. “He wants characters that are unique, different, to bring them into the Smash Bros. environment. So it's going to be tremendously exciting.”

Fils-Aime explained that Sakurai and the team working on Ultimate’s DLC don’t necessarily see characters from franchises not typically associated with Nintendo as a limiting factor when it comes to Smash Bros.

“Mr. Sakurai, he's not only a student of Nintendo franchises, and obviously he's had his hand in a few, but he's a student of video games from a total perspective,” Fils-Aime said. “And so he's been the driver in really thinking about what type of character coming into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate would bring just a whole different level of fun and enjoyment for the player. That's been the approach. That's the thinking."
From what Reggie says here, the DLC characters don't necessarily need a direct link to Nintendo. Rather, Sakurai prefers characters who represent gaming as a whole. Now, I actually had a feeling that this was the case, since Pac Man was portrayed more as the grandfather of the arcade era, rather than how he was associated with Nintendo. There's also the fact that Cloud got in Smash 4 over the likes of Terra or Cecil. But now, we have more definitive proof that Sakurai doesn't really care about the Nintendo association, and cares more about representing gaming as a whole. This is emblematic of Joker's reveal. Reggie also said that they prefer characters who are unique, and can bring something new to Smash.

So yeah, I think these statements raise Reimu's chances just a bit higher. Her franchise helped grow the Doujin scene in Japan, and that's pretty significant, considering the fact that doujinshi are a large part of Japanese culture. She's also has satisfies the "unique" aspect, as she comes from a SHMUP/bullet hell game franchise. If she incorporates these mechanics from her games, she can truly make for a unique fighter. Reimu is also visually distinct, as her primary weapons: her gohei, ofuda and spell cards, are weapons no other character currently wields in Smash. It also helps that she isn't another swordsman.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Now in regards to the DLC, we actually have a pretty informative statement on Reggie about the methodology of their DLC decisions:
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/1...blematic-of-smash-bros-ultimates-dlc-approach
“It's emblematic of the approach that Mr. Sakurai and the team are taking with the DLC,” Fils-Aime told IGN. “He wants characters that are unique, different, to bring them into the Smash Bros. environment. So it's going to be tremendously exciting.”

Fils-Aime explained that Sakurai and the team working on Ultimate’s DLC don’t necessarily see characters from franchises not typically associated with Nintendo as a limiting factor when it comes to Smash Bros.

“Mr. Sakurai, he's not only a student of Nintendo franchises, and obviously he's had his hand in a few, but he's a student of video games from a total perspective,” Fils-Aime said. “And so he's been the driver in really thinking about what type of character coming into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate would bring just a whole different level of fun and enjoyment for the player. That's been the approach. That's the thinking."
From what Reggie says here, the DLC characters don't necessarily need a direct link to Nintendo. Rather, Sakurai prefers characters who represent gaming as a whole. Now, I actually had a feeling that this was the case, since Pac Man was portrayed more as the grandfather of the arcade era, rather than how he was associated with Nintendo. There's also the fact that Cloud got in Smash 4 over the likes of Terra or Cecil. But now, we have more definitive proof that Sakurai doesn't really care about the Nintendo association, and cares more about representing gaming as a whole. This is emblematic of Joker's reveal. Reggie also said that they prefer characters who are unique, and can bring something new to Smash.

So yeah, I think these statements raise Reimu's chances just a bit higher. Her franchise helped grow the Doujin scene in Japan, and that's pretty significant, considering the fact that doujinshi are a large part of Japanese culture. She's also has satisfies the "unique" aspect, as she comes from a SHMUP/bullet hell game franchise. If she incorporates these mechanics from her games, she can truly make for a unique fighter. Reimu is also visually distinct, as her primary weapons: her gohei, ofuda and spell cards, are weapons no other character currently wields in Smash. It also helps that she isn't another swordsman.
Thanks for sharing this, Noble! That is certainly very interesting. :)

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
I am legit expecting Reimu to show up now. The evidence is all there.

Now, it's time to go share this news and spread the word. Even if she doesn't show up, if we can convince others that she will, then she'll likely be more highly requested for the next Smash game.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
I am legit expecting Reimu to show up now. The evidence is all there.

Now, it's time to go share this news and spread the word. Even if she doesn't show up, if we can convince others that she will, then she'll likely be more highly requested for the next Smash game.
Haha, I don't know if we should be expecting her. Disappointment can be really crushing, after all. Because of that, I've honestly tried being pessimistic about Reimu's chances as they are incredibly slim. I mean really, a freaking Touhou character in Smash?? You'd think that's something only possible in a fever dream. But, the more and more I look into it, the more likely it seems, and the more I can't help but feel excited over the idea. If Sakurai has blown us away with Snake, Sonic and Cloud, he can very well do the same with Reimu.

zferolie

Smash Hero
The Smash fandom likes to make arbitrary rules to try and predict the roster, with varying degrees of success. Time and time again, these rules get broken. Before Brawl, everyone thought it was impossible for Snake and Sonic to get in because of their 3rd party status. Before Smash 4, everyone thought it was impossible for Cloud to get in because FF7 was never released on a Nintendo console. And now, we have Joker, whose entire franchise has never been on a Nintendo console. And now, more arbitrary rules are being made to justify Joker's inclusion. This is why I don't really take roster predictions seriously - people try to find patterns where they don't exist.

Yeah Reimus chances are much higher now. Not an expected chance, but i will put her at 50%, same with banjo and shantae. If all 3 of those get in...

Arcadenblog

Smash Apprentice
Did I miss anything important? [Aside from the obvious?]

Last edited:

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman

Reggie also stated that this is how DLC lineup will look like. Bunch of characters Nintendo fans would never expect.

Honestly, this made many unlikely characters look so much more possible, or at least plausible. At this point, I would absolutely not be surprised to see Steve get in or even the supposedly leaked Granblue Fantasy rep. So yeah, Reimu is 100% in the realm of possibility now imo, and I definitely see it happening.

Although on the contrary, I think this also makes likely characters look much more unlikely, since this adds in so much more contenders that can steal their place, and I think what Reggie means by "not what Nintendo fans would expect" is that they are mostly not Nintendo characters, or if so it will be someone nobody has asked for like Piranha Plant. Geno might still have somewhat of a chance since he's technically 3rd party but I think I need to temper my expectations on Bandana Dee and Viridi.....

But yeah, generally, this is a good sign for Reimu. I'm gonna go as far as to say she's not even a long shot anymore. She has a genuine chance. I think now she is as likely as any other 3rd party characters you can think of that have never been associated with Nintendo, since that barrier of "only Nintendo" has truly been broken once and for all. Now the only factor we have to consider to see if a certain character can be in Smash or not is whether they have the potential to be an interesting and fun-to-play fighter, and I think Reimu has absolutely no problem with filling in that condition.

p. s. Quick correction there Noble;
And now, we have Joker, whose entire franchise has never been on a Nintendo console.
Persona actually has been on a Nintendo console before; its spinoff series Persona Q is exclusive on the 3DS. But yeah, no mainline Persona game has ever been affiliated with Nintendo before, so this is still a big deal. Just wanted to be clear.

Last edited:

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Another supporter:

69. BernkastelWitch

Sorry man. You got landed with the most unfortunate number.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
So...What tracks would you want Reimu to bring with her, if she was one of the DLC characters?

Also:
Fate of Sixty Years
Nuclear Fusion
Romantic Fall
Suwa Foughten Field

I really only listen to the symphonic metal versions of most Touhou songs.
I wish SSH did some music for Smash.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Eh, fine, here's a metal variant of my favorite Touhou theme, "History of the Moon":

And here's one that basically asks "What if Eirin decided to be a boss in a Sonic game and attempt to assassinate Blaze the Cat?" (Don't ask me to explain that joke, it'll take a long time and a lot of hyperlinks.)

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
I think personally, regarding music choices, honestly, they could go the Smash For Route with Ryu and Ken.
Having pretty much only the Themes of both Reimu and Marisa.

Maiden's Capriccio / Maiden's Capriccio ~ Dream Battle
Dichromatic Lotus Butterfly ~ Ancients / Dichromatic Lotus Butterfly ~ Red and White
Spring Lane ~ Colorful Path
Witching Dream
Eastern Mystical Love Consultation

Love Coloured Master Spark / Love Coloured Magic
Vessel of Stars ~ Casket of Star
Magus Night / The Witches' Ball
Oriental Dark Flight
Dimensional Dream

And of course, the most important song to Touhou:
Theme of Eastern Story
The Main Theme you hear pretty much everywhere, be it on the Title Screens or even as a leitmotif in various other themes.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Umm... Guess what just got leaked on 4chan:

Capture.PNG

This wouldn't hold any credit by itself. However, the Granblue Fantasy fighting game that it talks about was only announced a couple days ago. When was this posted? December 11th. And unlike the LaPailleDor leak, this one is 100% real. I saw it myself.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero

View attachment 183344

This wouldn't hold any credit by itself. However, the Granblue Fantasy fighting game that it talks about was only announced a couple days ago. When was this posted? December 11th. And unlike the LaPailleDor leak, this one is 100% real. I saw it myself.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM
The GranBlue fighting game was a rumor for a long time, back when people thought Katalina was going to be DLC. Still, neat.

Cristaran

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 183344

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM
I want this to be true so bad, but lets not lose our heads here. Only time will tell.

BUT PLEASE BE REAL

Top Bottom