• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHOW ME YOUR NEWS! - Gaming News PODCAST (Ep. 76 OUT!, New WEBSITE and iTunes!)

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
If you guys want to make brief 15-30 sec commercials, you can feel free to (and send them to smynshow AT gmail DOT com), but I'm not going to do so ON TOP OF a (weekly?) podcast. That's just too much.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Awesome.

Alternatively, you could also some time throw in commercials for new video games or movies.

In other news, Scribblenauts gets the best ESRB summary ever.

Rating summary: This is a puzzle game in which players navigate a series of traps, puzzles, and enemies to collect stars scattered throughout the colorful levels. Players have the ability to summon different objects by writing/typing in the word (e.g., bike, spaceship, lion) and watching it come to life. If multiple words are entered in a sequence, different whimsical scenarios can be triggered: a bicycle can be used to jump over a baby; a bulldozer can clear away a shark; and cabbage can be fed to dinosaurs. Players can elect to summon "cartoony" versions of bats, bombs, guns, and flamethrowers. These types of items can be used to destroy objects or even other summoned items (e.g., a club can be used to hit an animal; steak can be attached to a baby to attract lions; rockets can be lobbed at a man). These triggered animations are minimally depicted and are usually accompanied by popping, musical sound effects; bright, star-shaped flashes; or small puffs of smoke. If players wish to, they may type in the word vomit, which causes a beige-colored lump to appear on the screen.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Hey Youko, we brought up the fake-commercial idea earlier

But could there also be real commercials (still made and sent in by fans) for real things? Usually something like projects that the fans are working on? Now that I'm actually saying it, it seems like a cheap way to get a plug on something popular, but it'd help to get the real TV show feel.

Exia 00

Smash Champion
I like the video format. It's well done. I especially like the layout and background thingy. Nice and clean.

I always liked audio more cause that's what I adapted to.

Good job, I would like to see more of the video podcast. I'll probably adapt to it as well lol

Actually, it kind of reminded me of The Dogface Show (the shows aren't similar at all IMO). For those who
care, The Dogface Show is a a show hosted by a Street fighter player and he interviews SF pros. The episodes are separated into 4 or 5 parts and one part is released every week.

Anyways, what I was getting at was Dogface puts a preview of the next part of the episode at the end of every video (it's usually humorous to get you interested).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMFCLPmeOTQ&feature=channel_page

Releasing parts separately would let you pace yourself. I could definitely see it working if the audio version was released with the last part.

I'm just making suggestions. I'm not saying copy the man lol. I'm just saying be like sony and microsoft and do it better XD

Good **** though :)

:023:

Darkurai

Smash Master
Wii Browser is the only real way to watch the video format. If it's not on the TV, it's not as awesome.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Actually, it kind of reminded me of The Dogface Show (the shows aren't similar at all IMO). For those who
care, The Dogface Show is a a show hosted by a Street fighter player and he interviews SF pros. The episodes are separated into 4 or 5 parts and one part is released every week.

Anyways, what I was getting at was Dogface puts a preview of the next part of the episode at the end of every video (it's usually humorous to get you interested).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMFCLPmeOTQ&feature=channel_page
The only problem with this is that when we split it in parts, it's to get around Youtube's time limitations...nothing more. We create the whole thing to be an entire entity, all released ideally at once, and the "previews" are what the teasers at "commercial breaks" are for.

Thanks for the input, but I don't think this idea works for what we're trying to accomplish.

Exia 00

Smash Champion
The only problem with this is that when we split it in parts, it's to get around Youtube's time limitations...nothing more. We create the whole thing to be an entire entity, all released ideally at once, and the "previews" are what the teasers at "commercial breaks" are for.

Thanks for the input, but I don't think this idea works for what we're trying to accomplish.
I figured time limitations would be a factor.

Lol. I just realized it was a pilot :confused: I like the format. I hope it doesn't change too much.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Hey Youko, we brought up the fake-commercial idea earlier

But could there also be real commercials (still made and sent in by fans) for real things? Usually something like projects that the fans are working on? Now that I'm actually saying it, it seems like a cheap way to get a plug on something popular, but it'd help to get the real TV show feel.
Hate to be a whiny little jerk, but this was never answered.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Whatever, I don't care, as long as it's something.

So how often are we going to have these episodes?
Ideally, when we get things up and running with support, and Panda comes back from vacation next week, we're hoping for weekly episodes again.

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
I saw it. It was the first time I actually went to a midnight premiere. I thought the movie was pretty good, but the most serious moment was ruined when people laughed at Dumbledore's fall. It DID look kinda cheesy.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Hey hey guys guess what.

So my friend is making a tv-show type thing, and I auditioned for a part in it (with little competition, btw), and guess what.

It's gonna be on egoraptor's website.

This is exciting.

Auditions were only just today though, so nothing to get excited about yet.

I saw it. It was the first time I actually went to a midnight premiere. I thought the movie was pretty good, but the most serious moment was ruined when people laughed at Dumbledore's fall. It DID look kinda cheesy.
NA~ARM

Moozle

Smash Champion
I saw Harry Potter at midnight too and it was awesome :p They skipped my favorite part of the book but it was still the best movie yet. Maybe someone could do a quick review of it for one of those commercials.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Nothing like a LoZ: Wind Waker run, going down right now at stickam.com/smyn.

Best Zelda game, imo.

Darkurai

Smash Master

Best Zelda game, imo.
Wind Waker is indeed one of the more superior games. The graphical style was pretty badass too.

Youko, I think it's great how you sing along to the harmony.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089

Best Zelda game, imo.
I Like Majora's Mask better.
So many side quests, so little time.

I know you are trying to keep the episodes short, but I recommend that every 4 episodes, you have some random guest and save the tangents for those guest episodes. It should please the tangent lovers. They are best when there's more than just you two.

Master of Fossils

Smash Apprentice
Youko I hear you have the conduit. If anyone else here has it we could get some smyn group games going on on wifi, because we all know thats why we bought the game in the first place.

Best Zelda game, imo.
I still have to play that game....... But I have been doing an Ocarina of Time runthrough at the moment. Majora's Mask was another of my favorites. The whole time thing was neat and I thought that it was the hardest. (out of the ones I've played mind you.)

Darkurai

Smash Master
Youko I hear you have the conduit. If anyone else here has it we could get some smyn group games going on on wifi, because we all know thats why we bought the game in the first place.
Agh I already don't play with my clan as much as I should. Now I actually have friends to play with?

Crap.

thedobaga

Smash Apprentice
I am most likely WAY late for this (Cut me some slack, I've been on a camp staff all summer long), and I know barely any people actually know or care who I am around here, but I just feel like, as a fan, I have to say this.

It's regarding the pilot episode of the video podcast. I just finished it watching not one hour ago, and my thoughts are basically this: Nice work, looks good, but it's not the Show Me Your News I know and love anymore... It was a larger step in the small, small degrading manner it's been going since the introduction of the SBR podcast, IMO. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the SBR podcast sucks or that episodes after that suck, because I really don't think that. I still love them, just not as much.

They've kind of lost what, in my opinion, made me love Show Me Your News in the first place after literally having it come up with the random article button on Smash Wiki.. The guests that brought humor and such into the greatly interesting talks on gaming news. I remember back in the days when guests like Buzz and Mic_128 graced the audio with their jokes, adding their humor to your humor, making a fail-proof combo. Those are the episodes that made me laugh so much that I almost couldn't listen to SMYN in classes. The latest episodes, the two E3 ones that I have only recently had time to listen to, made me laugh once, maybe twice. They had the interesting viewpoints part that was so crucial to the SMYN formula, but they were missing the other half of the formula.

Don't take this offensively, but I nearly found myself falling asleep during some parts of those episodes. I didn't of course, it's SMYN and was once a huge part of my life, sitting at the computer waiting an hour sometimes for the latest episode to download on iTunes.

The video podcast I found equally boring. It's a great concept, but, IMO, not the RIGHT concept. It's no longer the beloved podcast I used to know that would keep me up to date, interested, and laughing my *** off all at the same time.

If this is the path you guys choose to take, I wish you guys and my fellow fans the best of luck, but I will most likely stay behind and not follow. I know, not a huge loss, not like I really did anything, right? Meh, I still figured I should get this opinionized post off my chest before it ended up happening. I'm sure you've all had the feeling one time or another, eh?

Peace.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
So...make it funnier. I got ya.

It's a tough line to walk on, to be honest. My professional future has been eating at me a lot the past few months, so I'm trying to do something that would actually look good on that front. That's actually most of the reason why I'm not picking up WTFP anymore. What good is all that effort going to do on a resume? At least a show that centers on gaming journalism looks professional.

That said, I still haven't submitted the pilot to MLG yet. I'm not happy with it, to be honest. It just doesn't feel right and I think we'll have to make another one that looks, sounds, and...just feels better. Correct all the flaws, you know?

Panda comes back in two days. That means we'll record the next one in a few days. If you want to make/submit your own 30-second commercials or do some mailtimes or whatever, you have that long.

Master of Fossils

Smash Apprentice
I know you are trying to keep the episodes short, but I recommend that every 4 episodes, you have some random guest and save the tangents for those guest episodes. It should please the tangent lovers. They are best when there's more than just you two.
I think that this is a good idea. Once a month or so you guys could make a podcast with the old formula while the rest have the new formula.

MegaMan087

Smash Apprentice
Youko, I just e-mailed you a commercial. Just making sure you know so if it didn't go through I can resend it. It's a little bit longer then you asked, 36 seconds. I hope that's ok.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Hmmm... *thinks up commercial ideas*

Maybe I can whip something up.

Roymyboy284

Smash Journeyman
VIDEO PODCASTS?! Why, back in my day, we turned on an audio file, clicked it, and listened to it. Now you whipper snappers, with your webcams, and editing software. What happened to the good old days?!

Seriously, I've been gone a while. A lot has changed. I'm gonna try and stay interested in the boards long enough to see more!

Darkurai

Smash Master
VIDEO PODCASTS?! Why, back in my day, we turned on an audio file, clicked it, and listened to it. Now you whipper snappers, with your webcams, and editing software. What happened to the good old days?!

Seriously, I've been gone a while. A lot has changed. I'm gonna try and stay interested in the boards long enough to see more!
If you're only just hearing of the video part now, yeah you have been gone a while. Where were you?

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
It is my goal to get a sleepy SamuraiPanda to record Episode 1 with me tonight. He hasn't made his presence known yet, so I can only assume he's still sleeping. So, not sure when tonight this will exactly happen.

Maybe we'll have the audio live on Stickam. No guarantees though. Youko Radio's up on there now though, anyway.

Darkurai

Smash Master
So how many people still actually listen to/watch the podcast? 'cause I remember hearing 4,000 back in the day, but no one has actually joined the fan forums that I'm bitter about.

Top Bottom