• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHOW ME YOUR NEWS! - Gaming News PODCAST (Ep. 76 OUT!, New WEBSITE and iTunes!)

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
So after much help from Falco400, I FINALLY got around to playing Wii Sports Resort!

Some initial impressions of what I played:
- Archery is badass and very enjoyable. w00t!
- Table Tennis is actually one my favorites so far. Much better than Grand Slam Tennis from EA Sports. And I totally pwned that computer n00b.
- My Dog Peach (which I'm calling the Frisbee Dog game from now on) is better than I thought it'd be! Go figure!
- I annihilated the computer in Swordfighting. It's going to be a blast for multiplayer.
- Golf and Bowling were AMAZING UPGRADES! Seriously guys, these were probably the best just for the comparison to the original Wii Sports. It took me missing a gimme putt to realize that these are amazing.

I didn't play any of the water sports or any of that, but WSR is going to be a HUGE hit when it comes to America on July 26th. Dare I say, maybe even worth a purchase for the extra MotionPlus?

Revven

FrankerZ
I still dislike the frisbee... I have no idea how I'm supposed to angle it right. How did you figure it out? :laugh:

Bowling is pretty awesome, it actually registers the speed of your throws better and the twisting is completely recognized and very sensitive. If you accidentally twist it a second before throwing it, it catches on, I kid you not and your ball will roll in that direction based on how much you twisted it. It's pretty cool.

I'm still a little 'meh' on swordfighting myself though. How do you block? Side ways? All I do to the CPU is wait for them to raise their sword and then hit their face every time... maybe some side ways sword hits. Probably the best one in that mode is the 100 swordsman dealie, which is actually pretty awesome!

Table Tennis is very good, a LOT better than Mario & Sonic's table tennis *shiver*.

I hope you stream it soon, haha, people need to see. =P

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
From what I found, for My Dog Peach (yep, still using it), you shouldn't move your wrist too much. I'm a righty, and when I really try to make it fly, it hooks BADLY to the right. It's definitely more difficult to send it to the left though. Try angling upwards for more loft...it really helps when you've played some Tiger Woods disc golf.

I got a 107 on my first bowling game. Much closer to my actual average than averaging around 255 in the original game.

You block by pressing B and then angling it how you see fit. Which is kinda stupid, cuz it's like boxing - who actually guards in Wii Boxing? ...Speaking of which, they should have brought boxing back, dammit.

Maybe I'll stream it when Panda wakes up after getting back at 8:30 AM from Chicago.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Um...I've never seen that before. Maybe the shop owner did that on his own, lol.

As mentioned earlier, we're live on Stickam. Well, Panda's still a-snoozin. But join the chat and watch some game footage!

Darkurai

Smash Master
So after much help from Falco400, I FINALLY got around to playing Wii Sports Resort!

- Table Tennis is actually one my favorites so far. Much better than Grand Slam Tennis from EA Sports. And I totally pwned that computer n00b.
- My Dog Peach (which I'm calling the Frisbee Dog game from now on) is better than I thought it'd be! Go figure!
- I annihilated the computer in Swordfighting. It's going to be a blast for multiplayer.
- Golf and Bowling were AMAZING UPGRADES! Seriously guys, these were probably the best just for the comparison to the original Wii Sports. It took me missing a gimme putt to realize that these are amazing.

I didn't play any of the water sports or any of that, but WSR is going to be a HUGE hit when it comes to America on July 26th. Dare I say, maybe even worth a purchase for the extra MotionPlus?
I recall Panda saying last year (Episode 38) that we were probably going to end up buying Wii Sports Resort in a context that implied it would be a bad game.

May I ask he eat his words now?

Why, yes, I'm sure you will hate me someday. I am a huge jerk, thank you for asking.

Alanofawesome

Smash Rookie

Yeah, i logged on Stickam at a friend's place to see you playing Table Tennis. Looks SICK.

WaterTails

Smash Lord
Well, guys, Wii Sports Resort taught me how terrible I am at bowling. On my last ball, it took over fifteen tries to get it to finally work. At about ten, I started doing the approach I used on my high game, and on the time it actually worked, I just flailed my arm.

My puppy, Peach, however, is totally awesome!

Also, did anyone notice how bad the pointer sometimes is in the archery minigame? At one point, aiming at the sensor bar shot way off to my dude's right, and aiming at the wall, maybe a 45 degree angle to the sensor bar was normal-ish.

PS: Peach gives you angryish eyes when you miss a few generic throwing discs in a row. Too good!

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Hm, can't say that we've had problems with archery. In fact, we had a couple friends come over - archery is the BEST teams game in Wii Sports Resort!

Haha yeah, in My Dog Peach, either Panda or I had a really bad throw and the dog had an "are you f'ing kidding me" look in its eyes afterwards. Agreed, hilarious.

I forgot to mention basketball in my initial impressions! For the three point contest, it is extremely accurate and very challenging. My high is 21...but then again, why I play basketball, I don't drive, I shoot. It's what I do. However, the actual basketball game is surprisingly fun. It's amazing what they can pull off with just a Wii remote. Basketball's up there in terms of best games in WSR.

Exia 00

Smash Champion
Ok... this WSR thing is really scaring me. I didn't think this game would make a difference but I guess I should try it at least.

Let's see what else they can do with Motion plus. It will definitely mean more sports games but... what else ?

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
So... I just got around to listening to... You can have.... and... whatever the title for 49 is. C'mon Youko. I wanna see vids of your Falco and do you do tourneys at ALL now? Even just for friendlies?

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
I think I'm just going to leave this here...

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r1AiuM-lhRg&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r1AiuM-lhRg&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

Speculate away.

Moozle

Smash Champion
You're going to have a specific time for each section and have that all planned out. It seems like a good idea as long as you're not too hurried.

Also, yeah, I want to see vids of your Falco and Peach :laugh:

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
Thats great. I really can't wait for the PTI-inspired SMYN. The timer is the perfect thing to save you guys some time for real life stuff (or more video-gaming) and you can always go a little further than the timer (just like they do in the show). Of course, if the episodes are going to be shorter, I hope that they happen a little more often. Maybe once a week would seem reasonable again.

By the way. I don't think ANYBODY in Pittsburgh likes Steely McBeam. A local radio station that occasionally does comedy skits in the morning has an entire section of the show where they make fun of him.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Double post? Screw it, this is REALLY important.

In the very near future, our goal is to transform from an audio podcast to a VIDEO show, as some of you might have deduced from the previously-posted teaser. More details on that specifically later. However, in the meanwhile, that means we're going to need a show-specific email, Youtube account, and Twitter page. You know, it looks more professional that way.

smynshow (AT) gmail (DOT) com
http://youtube.com/showmeyournews
http://twitter.com/showmeyournews

So go subscribe, follow, and spread the word! We hope to record our pilot episode tomorrow, and after some editing, you'll get your first glimpse at how we handle the transition to video!

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
My favorite part of the podcast was listening to it on the go. Is that still gonna be possible or will it be overwhelmingly visual? I'm gonna follow it either way but....

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
My hope, but of course this still has to be run through those in charge, is that we'll establish a new iTunes feed in the audio format for these episodes. I'm seeing very little hope for getting the old one fully back on track. The updated version of SMYN will not be overwhelmingly visual, per se, but it will bring a nice and fresh flair to things.

I appreciate your concerns and would be glad to answer any other questions any of you may have, but the short answer is YES, listening on the go via mp3 will still be possible in some fashion!

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
lol. I don't doubt we'll be able to listen to it but like..... when you played with a large group(You, Panda, Ankoku... I forget who all was there...Vayseth? I think it was called 2nd Brawl) the audio wasn't entertaining but I still like listening to the Video Review. CARAMELDANSEN!

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
That is a COMPLETELY different story.

Like, it's not even CLOSE.

Yes, listening to audio commentary of a game while playing that game without video footage isn't so entertaining. That's why it was a bonus when we released that and not an episode.

Let's just say that if you liked Unlock'd (if you watched that), you'll love this new version of SMYN.

ZeonStar

Smash Ace
I was actually a big fan of the SMYN Video review, so seeing you guys on video again will be fun!

Although I do hope your right when you say that some form of audio will still be available, since I listen to you guys at work all the time.

Moozle

Smash Champion
Hooray I can't wait! I finally subscribed to your Youtube account...I wonder what took me so long:embarrass

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
An update:

Recording the pilot went well! I think we're pretty pleased with it - it seems like it's going to take a little bit of practice for us to get used to this new type of pacing, but we made a great first try at it. We're covering a LOT of material in just under a half an hour, so it's to be expected that there is a learning curve.

Now all the weight is on my shoulders to pull together a kickass edit. And so it begins.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Haha troll. Nice try.

Picture sneak-peek for the video's display structure...

REL38

Smash Lord
Oh snaps. Smyn is moving up to bigger things now. As long as I'll be able to listen to it on my iPod, then I'm happy. Watching it would be fantastic, but listening to it is just too good. I'll still watch it, regardless.

Can't wait for it, Youko.

Moozle

Smash Champion
An update:

Now all the weight is on my shoulders to pull together a kickass edit. And so it begins.
I searched for like 40 mins for a vid when rafiki says that but I couldn't find one lol. Anyways, do you guys have any plan or prediction for how often you will be doing these shows? I know it will take some time to get used to it all so i don't really expect an answer, but I'm just curious :p

Now that this will be in video format, you'll become amazing at that field like you have gotten at podcasting. You're getting some pro practice :laugh:

Top Bottom