• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHOW ME YOUR NEWS! - Gaming News PODCAST (Ep. 76 OUT!, New WEBSITE and iTunes!)

Silverline

Smash Apprentice
Downloading it as we speak. Still wished I knew what program you guys use to actually record Skype, since Audacity doesn't seem to work with me.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Did you try refreshing your podcasts specifically (which most people forget to do)?

Mine's showing up.

Panda uses something called NGWave, but I know my sound card doesn't allow for the kind of 2-way recording his does.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
I would like to with it planned out ahead of time instead of last-minute.

Negi-Kun

Smash Lord
Haha, I just listened to the easter egg. Hilarious. (By the way I was the one to request the Wayko voice... I feel special.)

Cyberlink420

Smash Ace
NNID
cyberlink420
3DS FC
1461-6271-9006
IGN also practically confirmed months ago that the rumors of Factor 5 doing Kid Icarus are true, and they've been repeatedly claiming that we'll see it at E3 this year.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
SamuraiPanda, about you saying that Nintendo is not trying to appeal to core gamers, I have evidence against that.

Nintendo to Unveil Core Titles at E3
Nintendo also said Prime 3, Galaxy, Smash, and MK were "core" titles. Among those, I'd have to say only Prime 3 truly catered to the core gamer, and it still could've done a better job IMO.

something random but kinda related in a round about... several episodes late kinda way... but look what I found. http://r.gnavi.co.jp/k175602/

Lol Lockup.
WOW. Thats it. The exact place I was in when I went to Japan. Nice find!

Deception

Smash Ace
Nintendo also said Prime 3, Galaxy, Smash, and MK were "core" titles. Among those, I'd have to say only Prime 3 truly catered to the core gamer, and it still could've done a better job IMO.
Well, as you said, that's YOUR opinion. I think Galaxy was a true hardcore title, Nintendo just advertised towards casuals. Metroid Prime 3 was also perhaps the best in the Prime series, as it had the best FPS controls on any console besides the PC. Hyper difficulty on Prime 3 is also hard as hell.

I think Smash is for both casuals and hardcore fans. Casuals can play it as party game, but we have a whole community here that proves that Smash can be played hardcore. Why do you claim Smash is not hardcore when you yourself play it hardcore? You wanted to prove it was a true fighting game to Shoryuken, right?

Mario Kart Wii is probably more oriented towards casuals, but it's still a fun game for hardcores, too. There's a lot more to Mario Kart Wii than meets the eye, as it has some of it's own advanced techniques and it can be played competively.

For the most part these games are too intricate for casual gamers to grasp in a short amount of time and they provide depth that hardcore gamers need to think about in order to get through.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Well, as you said, that's YOUR opinion. I think Galaxy was a true hardcore title, Nintendo just advertised towards casuals. Metroid Prime 3 was also perhaps the best in the Prime series, as it had the best FPS controls on any console besides the PC. Hyper difficulty on Prime 3 is also hard as hell.
Prime 3 was missing key things that appeal to the core gamer. Most notably of which is online. Prime 3 only has one mode: Single player. And I'm not the type to replay games unless there is enough incentive to do so. In recent memory, the only games that have provided enough incentive to replay them for me are MGS4 and Disgaea. Prime 3 gave me no incentive to even beat it once, so thats not saying much about its replayability (which my friends who have beaten it say there is very little).

I think Smash is for both casuals and hardcore fans. Casuals can play it as party game, but we have a whole community here that proves that Smash can be played hardcore. Why do you claim Smash is not hardcore when you yourself play it hardcore? You wanted to prove it was a true fighting game to Shoryuken, right?
I have never once said that Nintendo has tried to cater to the hardcore players. I have been on SRK arguing that Smash is indeed a true fighting game, but I never commented on the intent of Nintendo to make it that. Its pretty obvious that Nintendo is going out of their way to make Smash less deep, and more random, as to prevent huge skill gaps between players (which still exist) and makes no sense whatsoever. Lucky for us, Nintendo fails at making the game less deep, and its still incredibly deep as it is. But the whole idea is that Nintendo did not intentionally make it so.

Mario Kart Wii is probably more oriented towards casuals, but it's still a fun game for hardcores, too. There's a lot more to Mario Kart Wii than meets the eye, as it has some of it's own advanced techniques and it can be played competively.
Indeed, the Mario Kart series is a fun game for hardcore players, too. But the reason I say Nintendo failed to appease the core gamer with it, is because they have been slowly but surely removing the element of skill from their core games. They are relying moreso on randomness and trying to level the field between good players and bad players so "everyone can have fun" without realizing that they don't need to castrate their games to do so, they just need to make a fsking ranking system that prevents good players from playing bad ones so they can keep the game with its depth. Advanced techniques that became staples of Mario Kart were removed, and AFAIK they haven't been replaced by anything new.

For the most part these games are too intricate for casual gamers to grasp in a short amount of time and they provide depth that hardcore gamers need to think about in order to get through.
To an exent, they do. Or more accurately, they did. Nintendo has recently decided to systematically make their games less deep in favor of more shallow gameplay that casual gamers can enjoy more. The fact that hardcore gamers can still play these games hardcore is a testament to our dedication at these games.

In the end, Nintendo is lucky that their core gamers don't overlap with other games. For example, the Soul Caliber community died with SC3 because it was glitchy as hell. Why did the community die? Because they all moved on to other fighters. The community played other fighting games regularly as well, which means that they aren't tied down to one series. If Mario Kart players also competitively played other racers, then they would have moved on with MK Wii because they were unsatisfied with it (or so I hear). The Smash community will never die, no matter what happens to the series, because they have nowhere to go. Smash is unique and alone in fighting genre in its gameplay, so Smash players won't be moving onto the next 2D fighter released if they don't like their game. But that, in and of itself, is a problem.

What do Smash players do when they aren't satisfied with their new game? They quit. We've seen a few people here and there quit Smash altogether with the release of Brawl. Thats obviously expected if you've ever watched a community move into the sequel to their games, so its nothing surprising. Same thing happens with other Nintendo games like MKWii. They just quit. This is the huge, gaping flaw in Nintendo's plans. They are losing the long-term core gamer. Sure, they will buy the new game, but what guarantee is there that they will buy the next one? I'd say that they'd be too suspicious, and wouldn't care to buy the sequel unless they hear things via word of mouth. Nintendo is losing the core gamer, slowly but surely. They've proven that even their tried-and-true core games cannot stand toe-to-toe with other core games on other consoles, and they are making their core games even weaker with time and with the Wii.

This is obviously just my opinion on the recent failures of Nintendo, but I think that unless they wake up to their folly, they'll be seeing some impact down the line (which is to say, years down the line). I have confidence that they will wake up eventually, but I'm wary as to when that will be.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
The only part I disagree with is that of Prime 3 being non-hardcore on account of lacking online play. Online play is a huge factor in whether a game is competitive or not, but it has little to no effect on whether the game is "hardcore". I find Prime 3 to be much more hardcore than Brawl. I like the storyline, the weapons, the art, the violence, etc. Sure, the replay value is limited since there is no multiplayer mode, but Prime 3 is indeed a solid title.

Deception

Smash Ace
Prime 3 was missing key things that appeal to the core gamer. Most notably of which is online. Prime 3 only has one mode: Single player. And I'm not the type to replay games unless there is enough incentive to do so. In recent memory, the only games that have provided enough incentive to replay them for me are MGS4 and Disgaea. Prime 3 gave me no incentive to even beat it once, so thats not saying much about its replayability (which my friends who have beaten it say there is very little).
Buzz already answered this one quite well.

I have never once said that Nintendo has tried to cater to the hardcore players. I have been on SRK arguing that Smash is indeed a true fighting game, but I never commented on the intent of Nintendo to make it that. Its pretty obvious that Nintendo is going out of their way to make Smash less deep, and more random, as to prevent huge skill gaps between players (which still exist) and makes no sense whatsoever. Lucky for us, Nintendo fails at making the game less deep, and its still incredibly deep as it is. But the whole idea is that Nintendo did not intentionally make it so.
Did it really go out of its way to make it less deep? No, Sakurai himself programmed every move of every character and all their properties. Although he likes having things even between players, he clearly put some hidden depth into the game for those who like advanced techniques.

Indeed, the Mario Kart series is a fun game for hardcore players, too. But the reason I say Nintendo failed to appease the core gamer with it, is because they have been slowly but surely removing the element of skill from their core games. They are relying moreso on randomness and trying to level the field between good players and bad players so "everyone can have fun" without realizing that they don't need to castrate their games to do so, they just need to make a fsking ranking system that prevents good players from playing bad ones so they can keep the game with its depth. Advanced techniques that became staples of Mario Kart were removed, and AFAIK they haven't been replaced by anything new.
There is a good ranking system in Mario Kart Wii that was nicely done. Also, tricks and wheelies add depth to the game. You have to keep perfectly straight when doing wheelies, or you lose speed. You can do tricks on areas that look like you shouldn't be able perform tricks and gain a speed boost. There's a lot of hidden shortcuts that take balls to get through but reward hardcore players. Ever seen some of the shortcuts on GBA Bowser's Castle 3, Grumble Volcano, and Rainbow Road.

Time Trials also add depth. The addition of an online ranking system to the time trials adds lots of replay value. Trying to beat the world records has become a small hobby of mine that I try to do when not playing Brawl. It's extremely hard to do, but improves my game by watching these hardcore players online.

To an exent, they do. Or more accurately, they did. Nintendo has recently decided to systematically make their games less deep in favor of more shallow gameplay that casual gamers can enjoy more. The fact that hardcore gamers can still play these games hardcore is a testament to our dedication at these games.

In the end, Nintendo is lucky that their core gamers don't overlap with other games. For example, the Soul Caliber community died with SC3 because it was glitchy as hell. Why did the community die? Because they all moved on to other fighters. The community played other fighting games regularly as well, which means that they aren't tied down to one series. If Mario Kart players also competitively played other racers, then they would have moved on with MK Wii because they were unsatisfied with it (or so I hear). The Smash community will never die, no matter what happens to the series, because they have nowhere to go. Smash is unique and alone in fighting genre in its gameplay, so Smash players won't be moving onto the next 2D fighter released if they don't like their game. But that, in and of itself, is a problem.

What do Smash players do when they aren't satisfied with their new game? They quit. We've seen a few people here and there quit Smash altogether with the release of Brawl. Thats obviously expected if you've ever watched a community move into the sequel to their games, so its nothing surprising. Same thing happens with other Nintendo games like MKWii. They just quit. This is the huge, gaping flaw in Nintendo's plans. They are losing the long-term core gamer. Sure, they will buy the new game, but what guarantee is there that they will buy the next one? I'd say that they'd be too suspicious, and wouldn't care to buy the sequel unless they hear things via word of mouth. Nintendo is losing the core gamer, slowly but surely. They've proven that even their tried-and-true core games cannot stand toe-to-toe with other core games on other consoles, and they are making their core games even weaker with time and with the Wii.

This is obviously just my opinion on the recent failures of Nintendo, but I think that unless they wake up to their folly, they'll be seeing some impact down the line (which is to say, years down the line). I have confidence that they will wake up eventually, but I'm wary as to when that will be.
Nintendo is trying to attract casuals, yes. But they have made attempts to make games that appeal to both hardcore and casuals. Galaxy and Brawl are good examples of this. What they need to is make more games like that. There are still people that are fans of Nintendo that play hardcore. If that interview I posted earlier is true, then Nintendo has probably realized this by now.

Egallardo26

Smash Apprentice

thedobaga

Smash Apprentice
Much thanks for answering my SSF2 questions, guys. Oh, and since you said you don't know how to use Smash Balls, I shall tell you!

At the moment (Though this may be changed.. actually, I'm pretty sure it WILL be..) sheild and press both attack buttons. Hope you enjoy! You should definately hear from us again in the future!

(WildaBeast is with us too, lol)

Oh, and two more things:

1. Great episode!
2. Jessica Alba as Samus FTW

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
There is a good ranking system in Mario Kart Wii that was nicely done. Also, tricks and wheelies add depth to the game. You have to keep perfectly straight when doing wheelies, or you lose speed. You can do tricks on areas that look like you shouldn't be able perform tricks and gain a speed boost. There's a lot of hidden shortcuts that take balls to get through but reward hardcore players. Ever seen some of the shortcuts on GBA Bowser's Castle 3, Grumble Volcano, and Rainbow Road.
then the huge negatives. Items. Blue shell. Why they removed the spiked shell from MK64 and replaced it with the thing that only hits 1ts (or anyone stupid enough to stay close) I'll never know. Lightning. POW box. Bullet Bill. Ink. All designed so that the person at the back can come from last to first in a matter of moments. If you're around the middle, red shells, again only to hose those in front. The majority of the items is simply to help people catch up. There isn't even an option to turn the items or the computers off. At least battle mode was fun. Until now with forced teams (WTF? Oh, so the guys that suck can at least be on the winning team) with forced computers(Oh come on) and replacing the three balloon lives and whoever's still there wins, to becoming a match of who can hit the most people because they all just respawn 3 seconds later.

Mario Kart sucks now.

Time Trials also add depth. The addition of an online ranking system to the time trials adds lots of replay value. Trying to beat the world records has become a small hobby of mine that I try to do when not playing Brawl. It's extremely hard to do, but improves my game by watching these hardcore players online.
I do like time trials, but why can't we have the option to do races in a time trial 'no items, no computers' setting?

Deception

Smash Ace
then the huge negatives. Items. Blue shell. Why they removed the spiked shell from MK64 and replaced it with the thing that only hits 1ts (or anyone stupid enough to stay close) I'll never know. Lightning. POW box. Bullet Bill. Ink. All designed so that the person at the back can come from last to first in a matter of moments. If you're around the middle, red shells, again only to hose those in front. The majority of the items is simply to help people catch up. There isn't even an option to turn the items or the computers off. At least battle mode was fun. Until now with forced teams (WTF? Oh, so the guys that suck can at least be on the winning team) with forced computers(Oh come on) and replacing the three balloon lives and whoever's still there wins, to becoming a match of who can hit the most people because they all just respawn 3 seconds later.

Mario Kart sucks now.

I do like time trials, but why can't we have the option to do races in a time trial 'no items, no computers' setting?
You can turn off items in offline multiplayer. But Mario Kart has always had some cheap items. The red shell is annoying, and it had been in every Mario Kart. The randomness has been in every Mario Kart, so why complain now? You can even completely avoid all the items if you are skilled enough.

blink777

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to be slow on the uptake, but I'm just listening now. I paused it and rushed over to my roommate's internet to throw a congratulations at Sugarpoultry and Buzz. So adorable, I was litterally wibbling. Btw, Tanner's a great name ;).

Once again, congratulations!

Top Bottom