• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHOW ME YOUR NEWS! - Gaming News PODCAST (Ep. 76 OUT!, New WEBSITE and iTunes!)

XCWarrior

Smash Apprentice
Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit, Zack and Wiki, SMR
I finally finished the 5-part Pandacast. Great job all around. Some of them were a bit too short, but still quality work.

Youko, if it makes you feel any better, I have a pink GBA. My brother won a bunch of store credit through Magic: The Gathering tournaments and he wanted to get a GBA. It was the only one they had. Only plus is that it can play Japan games.

Thankfully I got a black and crismon DS this Christmas, so much like you Youko, I am a DS newbie.

Haven't gotten a chance to listen to "State of the Brawl Address" but I thought Panda did a great job while you were away. I actually loved the near 4 hour epic podcast, but getting one a day was nice too. How you did that was amazing to me.

I am fearing now that this will be one of the last podcasts I'll be listening to. Stupid Japan release and my intent on not finding out every blasted thing about the game. I want some surprises, but I'll enjoy the show as long as I can.

So do me a favor and if you have spoiler news, say "SPOILERS!" so I can stop the podcasts before you guys go on.

Keep up the good work.

P.S. Was not a fan of the Panda easter eggs. But that is probably because I could really care less why you know Japanesse. Great that you do, but didn't need that much background info about it. And sounds like you watch a LOT of anime. Or at least used to. ****.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Listening now. Hilarious list of quotes. The quote "edits" were pretty funny too. And yes, the Landmaster tank was in Star Fox 64. I freakin love that game!

LukewarmHoliday

Smash Cadet
theese are the perfect freetime killers...sucks i only have freetime when i get smeared on the ground by some units charging in mid battle in fire emblem radiant dawn...

ripman3

Smash Journeyman
liked the easter eggs myself, funny and interesting. I also have had problems with my usb wireless thing that i bought when it first came out.

can i assume that you will continue doing weekly stuff for the few weeks after brawl comes out to give us your thoughts on it?

saif442050

Smash Apprentice
best episode of SMYN to date. BTW, you guys should so a monthly, instead of bi-monthly :)

EDIT: o yeah Youko, their are 20 stages revealed not 24, just thought i would let you know.:lick:

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Ok, I'm listening to 27 again, and about half way through.

I was wrong about what you said Youko, you did say 27.

I forgot who, but same on whoever said the Landmaster wasn't in Star Fox 64. I never played anything besides the SNES and N64 ones, so I wasn't even aware it was in the newer ones.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Time to reveal my project! I'm hoping Youko will let me put this on the SMYN Wiki page so that people can check it without me having to keep posting it.

This is The Show Me Your News! TIMELINE!
Have you ever wanted to know what people thought about your favourite episode, or just wanted to see the discussion that went on after a good episode? Well here it is!
This timeline uses the Forum Default, which is 15 posts per page. To acompany those who don't use the forum default, I've kept track of the number of posts so that you can just divide the number of posts by the number of posts you view per page. After episode 18, stuf started to get spammy by the way. Well, here it is:

Episode 1 (7/08) – Pre E3:
Pages = 1 – 6
Posts = 1 – 79

Episode 2 (7/15) – Post E3:
Pages = 6 – 15
Posts = 80 – 219

Episode 3 (7/22) – This World:
Pages = 15 – 22
Posts = 220 – 323

Episode 4 (7/29) – New Physics:
Pages = 22 – 26
Posts = 324 – 381

Episode 5 (8/05) – Subspace Emissary:
Pages = 26 – 34
Posts = 382 – 507

Episode 6 (8/12) – The Letdown:
Pages = 34 – 40
Posts = 508 – 586

Episode 7 (8/19) – Stickers, Stickers, Stickers:
Pages = 40 – 46
Posts = 587 – 685

Episode 8 (8/26) – The Golden Week:
Pages = 46 – 52
Posts = 686 – 772

Episode 9 (9/02) – Gliding to New Beginnings:
Pages = 52 – 62
Posts = 773 – 918

Episode 10 (9/09) – Character’s Serenade:
Pages = 62 – 71
Posts = 919 – 1063

Episode 11 (9/16) – Cold Sacrifices:
Pages = 71 – 82
Posts = 1064 – 1223

Episode 12 (9/23) – Snake? Online! BRAWWWWLLL!!!:
Pages = 82 – 94
Posts = 1224 – 1398

Episode 13 (9/30) – Trophies at Dawn:
Pages = 94 – 106
Posts = 1399 – 1581

Episode 14 (10/07) – Samus Takes Her Clothes Off:
Pages = 106 – 118
Posts = 1582 – 1757

Episode 15 (10/14) – Feeling Blue:
Pages = 118 – 134
Posts = 1758 – 1995

Episode 16 (10/21) – E for Brawl:
Pages = 134 – 146
Posts = 1996 – 2185

Episode 17 (10/28) – The King and the Kongs
Pages = 146 – 156
Posts = 2186 – 2330

Episode 18 (11/04) – Very Scary Ruins:
Pages = 156 – 178
Posts = 2331 – 2663

Episode 19 (11/11) – Through the Foxes and Flames:
Pages = 178 – 206
Posts = 2664 – 3078

Episode 20 (11/18) – I Wanted To Explain Them Again:
Pages = 206 – 231
Posts = 3079 – 3464

Episode 21 (11/25) – Now That’s Just Cold:
Pages = 231 – 252
Posts = 3465 – 3773

Episode 22 (12/02) – We Really Have Thought Of Everything:
Pages = 252 – 275
Posts = 3774 – 4114

Episode 23 (12/09) – Real Men Use Items
Pages = 275 – 297
Posts = 4115 – 4455

Episode 24 (12/16) – This is the Main Menu:
Pages = 297 – 334
Posts = 4456 – 5000

Episode 25 (12/23) – Pandacast Numero Uno
Pages = 334 – 364
Posts = 5001 – 5449

Episode 26 Part 1 – The Pandacast Strikes Back
Pages = 364 – 374
Posts = 5450 – 5598

Episode 26 Part 2 – The Pandacast Strikes Back
Pages = 374 – 398
Posts = 5599 – 5963

Episode 26 Part 3 – The Pandacast Strikes Back
Pages = 398 – 413
Posts = 5964 – 6182

Episode 26 Part 4 – The Pandacast Strikes Back
Pages = 413 – 423
Posts = 6183 – 6343

Episode 26 Part 5 – The Pandacast Strikes Back
Pages = 423 – 435
Posts = 6344 – 6515

Episode 27 – State of the Brawl Address
Pages = 435 –
Posts = 6516 –

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
Wow nice job Pyro. I'm glad you created the index.

EDIT: Btw, after that Bowser convo last night, I just realized that Bowser was revealed on my birthday.

RokkuManZer0

Smash Apprentice
What a great podcast. Once again good job guys.

Without a week of updates you still managed to deliver an interesting podcast with what you had in your hands. Loved the recap.

As for the interview, it was awesome. It's nice knowing 2ndStamp and Ian behind the scenes of SmashDash. Your show is hilarious, love it! AND **** YES, MEGAMAN!

This is it guys! It's the last stretch! 2 weeks until release (I hate you Japan), 10th of February in USA (I hate you America xD) we'll be getting lots of info (hopefully). There'll be a lot to talk about on the next podcasts. Looking forward to them.

Cless

Smash Champion
I forgot who, but same on whoever said the Landmaster wasn't in Star Fox 64. I never played anything besides the SNES and N64 ones, so I wasn't even aware it was in the newer ones.
QFT, the Landmaster and the Sub debuted in 64. They are using the Assault model in Brawl though.

cless-mint

Smash Journeyman
Natchitoches, Louisiana A.K.A. "The South Ya'
Loved the new ep and the pandacasts. I think one of the best parts of the panda casts, (other than the actual discussion) was the easter eggs. Loved hearing your Japanda Time stories and about how you learned Japanese. I've wanted to learn since like sixth grade when we got an exchange teacher (dunno what to call it). Her name was Miyagishima Yoshi. lolz

Anyway, keep it up ya'll, the PODbasy keeps gettin better every week.

~cless-mint

Mario77

Smash Apprentice
Time to play DoA and eat Gushers while listening to you guys, as Wario says.. "HERE I GO!"

By the way! Apparently it is NOT easy to take some pictures and write a few sentences for the Dojo, on the demo video the Nintendo employee something like..."Ive lost a loot of sleep translating and putting up these dojo updates every single week day..." and Im sure there is a lot more than you think going on when coming to the updates, its probably a pain to do them... AND then translate them...

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
I really hated how the stages were all rated based on neutrality. I lean toward the compeitive scene of Smash, but I really hate the way Smash deals with competitive play. No other game, even ones I played online with MLG rules are this nit-picky about every little thing that isn't flat as a board.

cless-mint

Smash Journeyman
Natchitoches, Louisiana A.K.A. "The South Ya'
Yoshi sounds like a strange woman's name, but what do I know?
I'm pretty sure that wasn't her whole first name. Yoshi is a unisex nickname for names beginning in Yoshi- So I figure her name is longer. Prolly Yoshie or Yoshiko. Though I could be wrong and her name was actually Yoshi.

On topic, can't wait for the next basy. lolz

Al Calnos

Smash Journeyman

Cless

Smash Champion
I really hated how the stages were all rated based on neutrality. I lean toward the compeitive scene of Smash, but I really hate the way Smash deals with competitive play. No other game, even ones I played online with MLG rules are this nit-picky about every little thing that isn't flat as a board.
That's the way Smash is though. It's an unorthodox fighting game. Most fighting game stages are flat and just have a background. People are only nit-picky about random pick stages though. Most others are available for counterpick.

@cless-mint: That's what I was thinking.

@Al Calnos: I forgot the Assault version had those stupid wheels. I mainly focused on the upper half of the tank. It's not really a tank if it doesn't have treads.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Well it is a 2d fighter on stages that are comparatively alot smaller, so little things are actually a big deal.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
I dunno, When I was at MLG for Gears of War and played other games online for 360 with MLG rules for Gamebattles, there was never such a strict banning of everything. I can easily see Smashville beaing banned because that platform doesn't stand still and can cause a disadvantage to the player that is on the other side of it at the wrong time or something.

This isn't anything against competitive play and I understand why things are banned. I know when I practiced for Gears, I never played the banned stages, and I knew exactly why each one was banned. I'm still going to be in tournaments, go to MLG, and play competitively, but I just disagree at the level that the Smash competitiveness gets on being so strict compared to any other game.[/Chi's rant]

Yuk, I never knew they could hav uglied up the Landmaster so much. I'm glad they kept it looking more like the N64 version.

Cless

Smash Champion
Smashville won't be banned. Yoshi Story isn't banned and look, there's a moving cloud in there. It's even on random pick. How can you even compare Smash to Gears though? They're not even the same genre. There are only five or so completely banned stages in Smash, and one more in teams. Everything else is available for counterpick. Smash is one of the only fighting games where stage plays an important part in a character's ability. You have to take things into consideration.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Smashville won't be banned. Yoshi Story isn't banned and look, there's a moving cloud in there. It's even on random pick. How can you even compare Smash to Gears though? They're not even the same genre. There are only five or so completely banned stages in Smash, and one more in teams. Everything else is available for counterpick. Smash is one of the only fighting games where stage plays an important part in a character's ability. You have to take things into consideration.
I was comparing them because they were both very competitive games, both of which I had expercience in the rules and playing of them. Who wants to bet Norfair will be banned because of the random spawning "safehouse"? I argue this not because of my preference, since I always play with the same three stages and no items anyway, but I argue for the principal that throwing one small element of chance in a competitive game now and then doesn't hurt.

It would be like making all football games to be mandatory played in a dome because the wind gives and advantage to only one side of the field at a given time. The game is fair, but there's usually an itsy bitsy element of chance thrown in, which can cause certain advantages and disadvantges to be present.

I see and agree with your points, but I just think that the rules shouldn't be layedout on such a strict table. As much as I love a good, logical debate, this isn't really the place, and it's only a matter of time before someone joins in and begins to bash tournament or causal players and start an argument, so I'll leave it at that.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Well, considering that stages like Pokefloats and Brinstar aren't banned, I would imagine that Norfair and Smashville would be at least counterpick stages.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
norfair is a bit more of a stretch due to the new lava dynamic plus the safe zone than brinstars linear predictable lava

Cless

Smash Champion
Well, considering that stages like Pokefloats and Brinstar aren't banned, I would imagine that Norfair and Smashville would be at least counterpick stages.
I think Smashville will be random pick. It's a static stage with one moving platform. Not much different from Yoshi Story.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
Pokemon Trainer!

Ok so zelda/sheik, in melee, if you held the A button down before a match as Zelda you would turn into Sheik at the begining.

Do you guys thinh this will be implemented to PT???

and another great thing about Ike.... HE DOESN'T FLINCH!!!!!1111

Ness is returning, regardless and we shall see on Jan 24 or 23.....

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Brinstar is banned.

Icicle Mountain and Brinstar Depths: The big problem with these two levels involves their random movements. The idea behind competitive Smash is to remove almost all random factors in the game that decide a match based on luck rather than skill. On these levels, you may have your opponant in what would be a somewhat harmless combo on any other level, but instead, the stage moves and all of a sudden your opponant is KO'd for no reason other than luck. Furthermore, each of these stages greatly benifits certain characters over others to an unfair extent. For example, on Brinstar Depth's, the three big recovery characters (Samus, JigglyPuff, and Peach) can live to much higher percentages than pretty much any other character. This is because there are few ledges that a character is actually allowed to grab and hang onto upon recovering, leaving just about every character but a select few at a heavy disadvantage.
I just hope Norfair won't be banned because it's a toss up to which side the safehouse will spawn.

Cyberlink420

Smash Ace
NNID
cyberlink420
3DS FC
1461-6271-9006
Aaaaand the update is more Melee stages!

...yeah. I can already see this one getting some flak on the podcast, especially since Onett's only going to heat up the Ness debate.

Cless

Smash Champion
Aaaaand the update is more Melee stages!

...yeah. I can already see this one getting some flak on the podcast, especially since Onett's only going to heat up the Ness debate.
Yeah, I was just about to post that Onett is going to throw a wrench into the Ness debate. He could have easily picked Fourside, which has more to do with Porky than Ness.

SurooshX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SurooshX
Just a few things about this cast.

1) Sakurai Lib portion, bad, very bad.

2)Reason? You bleeped all the cursing...And all you DID was curse.

3)Great job on the whole going-over-everything.

4)Landmaster was in Starfox 64.

5)Wow, you totally stole the Gamespot "Interview" sound.

6)The Link VS Ganondorf fight was just a teaser showing qualities of the Gamecube in Spaceworld 2000. Wasn't too amazing.

7)Geno has one of the biggest chances if being in Brawl because he has HUGE fanbase and Square has been working with Nintendo for a while now. I wouldn't be surprised if Geno was the Square character in Brawl.

8)THANK YOU! Someone else that wants Golden Sun characters as PCs. They'd be a whole lot more than sword characters since they use Psynergy. Epicness.

9)How I know all this? Well, plain and simple, I is n3rd...

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I was just about to post that Onett is going to throw a wrench into the Ness debate. He could have easily picked Fourside, which has more to do with Porky than Ness.
Well I can see why he didn't pick Fourside though. I mean, New Pork City sort of serves as the "large, dark Mother city-esque stage", whilst Onett is a smaller and colourful town with walk-off. Sure many people may not *like* Onett, but it's more differentiated from what we already know of.

Lirok

Smash Journeyman
Well I can see why he didn't pick Fourside though. I mean, New Pork City sort of serves as the "large, dark Mother city-esque stage", whilst Onett is a smaller and colourful town with walk-off. Sure many people may not *like* Onett, but it's more differentiated from what we already know of.
actually, he probably played someone that used peach and got pissed when they butt bombed the building to recover and went like (terrorism and cheap recovery?! this stage is out)

love your sig man

and this talk doesnt really belong here *hint*hint*

Top Bottom