• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should we get For Fun/For Glory back?

Should For Fun and For Glory return?

• Yes, For Fun and For Glory should return

Votes: 36 87.8%
  • No, For Fun and For Glory should not return.

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I know a lot of people have said this already: Should For Fun and For Glory return? The preferred rules almost never apply and it's impossible to get a designated one on one match. I once set it to one on one, no items, FD form, 3 stocks, 7 minutes. Instead I got a 2 minute free for all with three other people, items, on regular Gerudo Valley. Literally all of my rules did not apply. If we could get For Fun and more importantly For Glory back, this would never happen.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
When I first saw the new matchmaking system in the direct, I let out a big “Nope”. Matches based on preferred rules instead of simply having casual and ranked matches is probably the worst thing about this game. I find it funny how Sakurai asks us to get a LAN adapter despite how online is pretty much an out-of-season April Fool’s joke.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's not necessarily that I don't want For Fun/Glory back, it's just that arenas have rendered them pretty much obsolete and thus I don't see it happening. Argue how much it sucks your preferences aren't guaranteed all you want, it won't matter as long as arenas exist and the devs will just (mentally or not) point you to them.

Currently the only real bad part of the system with no workaround is the same GSP applying to all types of fights, making it difficult to consistently raise if you get free-for-alls and people hate you, for example. A good compromise would be having a separate GSP for different types of battles like 1v1s vs. free-for-alls; that way even if you get matches you didn't really want, you don't have to worry about them lowering your rank in modes you do care about. And you still have arenas for guaranteed matchmaking.

Lyna of Dark Fowl

Smash Rookie
I think for fun or for glory should come back. I didn't get into smash until ultimate came out, but I watched my fiancee play smash WiiU and he seemed a lot happier with for fun or for glory. It seems like the online doesn't match what you want very well. My fiancee keeps getting put in four player free-for-alls when he would much rather be in one on one matches. It seems like elite mode has more one on one matches, but it's easy to get bumped out of elite when you first get in.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
It's not really necessary since an "easy" fix would be a toggle that makes no exception for your preferred rules.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yes, it’s ****ing absurd that this isn’t an option as is. I honestly think Online was by far their biggest misstep with Ultimate. It was a cute idea of having preferred rule sets, but it requires a much better company than Nintendo to pull off.

Smash 4 worked very well despite limited options. It mainly needed better net code, a couple more options and it would have been fine. Seriously, give us more playlist like options and it would work so well...

Semako

Smash Cadet
In my opinion, the best solution would be the following:
  • Replace quickplay with for fun and for glory.
  • In Background Matchmaking, force the preferred rules. I feel that this is more what a background matchmaking system should be used for. A specific and possibly long search, which doesn't "block" your system until you find an opponent.
  • Maybe replacing the item switch in the "preferred rules" for background matchmaking with some more specific options to choose from, such as pokémon smash, battering smash, explosive smash... and allowing special smash conditions (but random, with a switch which can be set to on or off) might be a good idea, since it would be more likely to find an opponent who wants to play with the same rules.
  • possibly also search for players with matching rulesets except that they have more or less stocks/time.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Maybe everyone should've listened to me when I told you to not pay for online. It was evident that they would make it horrible

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The only way For Glory is going to happen is if everyone comes together to come up with a ruleset to propose to the devs, so they can ensure it is widely accepted. There's no way we or they could ever know what that is at launch, so instead we have arenas to experiment with.

SuperNova7

Smash Cadet
NNID
2710-3292-9722
Can we start a petition to change the online play and present it to Nintendo? Respectfully, of course.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Can we start a petition to change the online play and present it to Nintendo? Respectfully, of course.
You'd better make a comprehensive, top-to-bottom list including absolutely everything online has to offer, and why none of it offers a satisfactory experience. Otherwise you'll get the equivalent of customer service telling you to read the manual for not trying everything in it.

sixkami

Smash Cadet
NNID
ifwjay
3DS FC
0044-3489-7158
I don't know how I feel about those modes returning but I would GLADLY take those two over whatever the hell we have now.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
There should be Unranked and Ranked, but not the old For Fun and For Glory.

The main five modes should look like this:

Quickplay - naturally UNRANKED
Arena - with tweaks as I mentioned elsewhere
Unranked - FFA, 1v1 or teams
Ranked - 1v1, or teams
Spectator

Options - allow multiple options (i.e: stock count of 2 or 3, the time 5-7, Battlefield and Omegas or whatever else people want)

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I would like the different modes to return because being forced into FFAs is bringing down my GSP heavily.

I had a 90% drop today because of this.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Bring For Glory back but give it some basic customisation options. You can pick between 1v1 or 2v2, Battlefield or FD stages, and the amount of stocks and time per match. But items and normal stages are always off. It will never give you a match that isn't your preferred ruleset.

Move all GSP related affairs and Elite Smash over here, and tie nothing to Quickplay (aside from the Challenges that are already tied to it, they can't do anything about those and they can all be broken with hammers anyways). Quickplay stays as it is.

Literally the only reason I ever feel frustrated in Quickplay, aside from the odd laggy game (it hasn't been too bad for me in this regard) is because I kinda want to do Elite Smash at least once, but if it's not FFA games, it's what seems like a 1v1 FD stage (I prefer Battlefield but I'll take it) only for me to knock an opponent away and a Smash Ball suddenly spawns near them and now I have to turn my attention to the Smash Ball. Quickplay shouldn't have ANYTHING tied to it, no rankings or special Elite Smash club. It should just be for people who don't mind what kind of match they play. And when I played it like that at first, I was actually having a lot of fun just messing around with different characters.

So yeah just put a For Glory mode in that's just a more restrictive derivative of the current Quickplay and move GSP and Elite Smash over to that. Keep Quickplay as it is with the exception of removing the ranking stuff.

Delphinus

Smash Rookie
NNID
DelphinusV
3DS FC
2595-0710-4989
The only thing I would change from the old For Fun/For Glory, is longer time limits. For 1v1 it was OK, though I would prefer 3 stock and 7-10 minutes rather than 2 stock 5 minutes. My bigger gripe is 4 player for glory should also be stock and for fun needs a longer match time limit, maybe 5-6 minutes. At least for me, the 2 minute match length in For Fun usually meant whoever could score a quick KO or 2, and not get destroyed by being ganged up on in the short-term remaining time, wins.

Last edited:

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Jfc where to begin:

-My WiFi is kinda bad, but it blames me for disconnecting when it disconnects on its own and puts me in a ban for a half ****ing hour when I didn’t do anything wrong.

-Like all of the above, I don’t like other people playing because it takes forever for people to get on board and you have a lag issue.

-If I lose, I should have the choice to leave a free-for all when I’m out. I don’t want to sit here and watch all these other bad player.

-Why do we even need a ranking system? It just makes people feel bad when they find out they relatively suck compared to most other people.

-I like background matches cause it give me my preffered option more than the other modes, but let me leave when we’re in the lobby waiting. I don’t want to have to play a whole match.

-Can’t even SD to leave smh.

-Why tf do I need to pay for this ****?! God I hate companies!! HOW MUCH MORE MONEY DO YOU PEOPLE NEED

Smash Ultimate is awful for more of the technical stuff like that god awful menu in training mode.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Here's what it needs to be seperated into. Do it like the old system, but instead of "For Fun" and "For Glory", separate it into "FFA", "1v1", and "2v2". This way, you can guarentee you're not being put in an FFA against your will. From there, the game chooses people with similar preferred rule sets.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
If we already have Arenas that are perfectly able to deal with custom games with all different kind of rules people want, I dont see any reason for not having some few For Glory Quick Play options, instead of the Preffered Rules. Leave the preffered rules for people on Arenas or someone that chooses this kind of quick play, but some main modes should be there for more competitive players dont need to keep searching for matches and players in arenas, create arenas that no one joins, stay in lines waiting people to play because dont wanna end falling into a free for all match on the quick play with the preffered rules... This is dumb, people could do it before, it's just a step back instead of a improvement. Or just make the 1v1 games and modes mandatory, not "preffered".

Last edited:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
i get this strange feeling that sakurai just doesn't care for the competitive scene of smash deep down inside....no other explanation for this

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
i get this strange feeling that sakurai just doesn't care for the competitive scene of smash deep down inside....no other explanation for this
They allow people to play with Battlefield stages, hazards off, and omegas with the amount of time and stocks you want...?

We have a public lobby system that guarantees 1v1 matches with actual competitive rule sets.
Yes the algorithm was bad on release, but the purpose of it was for you to match with rules you wanted. If it works now then it is much better than For Glory.

The ranking system is definitely bad but if it splits people into tiers depending on GSP down the line it would do the trick.
FFAs should definitely not count towards GSP however.
(Also choosing any stage on Elite Smash is a terrible design choice - but honestly elite smash seems like a complete waste of time and I won't use it even if I unlock it)

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
"Strange feeling"? Hasn't he flat-out said that it defies everything he stands for?

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
We have a public lobby system that guarantees 1v1 matches with actual competitive rule sets.
The problem here is that players must be constantly looking for other players to play this mode properly, instead of the game do it for them, with too much time wasted, waiting lines, stress of not finding proper matches, arenas that are dissolved and then you need to look for another, or create a arena and again wait people to join (when they join)... This was just simpler in the WiiU and can now be a painfull process on Ultimate. There was a button to join 1-1 matches, and that's it. A quick search for a highly requested game mode is not ask too much. You click and join, super fast. No lines, no need to wait on lines, no need to watch other people's games when you actually just want to play your game with someone...

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yes.
And improved.
Add stage variants like being flat, having 1,2, or 3 platforms.
Add an actual ranking system that doesn't calculate casual games.
A connection indicator.
And whatever else other fighting games have done in terms of QoL.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
legit a response on gamefaqs to the absence of "For Glory"

"
FG got boring quick.

Now it’s more exciting knowing that every match counts for Elite status and every opponent is trying their best to win.

It’s much better online now. "

what?

Wernershnitzl

Smash Rookie
At least in my experience, even if you have preferred rules on thus far, you can still get unwanted rule matches. It can get kind of annoying.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I feel like they could separate ranked and normal so people dont feel obligated to look at their rank when they're just trying to have fun. It kind of takes away from the game and not to mention other competitive games keep regular/ranked separate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom