• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Sonic be Unlockable?

EarthHero

Smash Apprentice
I think he should be. I don't an awesome character like sonic to be a starter. I wanna feel like he should be a reward, a prize for the arduous task set forth to unlock him. What do you think?

Williampettysan

Smash Journeyman
He is unlockable, and he should be the pros who unlocked him should be able to control him since their good enough, though newbs shouldn't be able to control a super fast character... O_O

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
I'd like him to be unlockable, as I think/hope he's going to have a recurring boss role in SSE. That makes more sense for a guest character.

And don't nobody tell me recurring bosses can't be cool. Kratos was a recurring boss. Recurring bosses can kick your *** so hard the foot comes out the other side.

EarthHero

Smash Apprentice
He is unlockable, and he should be the pros who unlocked him should be able to control him since their good enough, though newbs shouldn't be able to control a super fast character... O_O
I completely agree. He is too cool for inexperienced players to just embarass themselves, and Sonic. lol. It's the same as it was with Mewtwo. He took forever to unlock, and when you finally do unlock him, your actually good enough to use him. Well, you should be. It takes like 20 hours. lol.

Noxin

Smash Cadet
mewtwo

I completely agree. He is too cool for inexperienced players to just embarass themselves, and Sonic. lol. It's the same as it was with Mewtwo. He took forever to unlock, and when you finally do unlock him, your actually good enough to use him. Well, you should be. It takes like 20 hours. lol.
almost everybody that i know irl just pluged in four controllers and walked away from their cube for x amount of hours until it was long enough to get him

and i also think sonic should be unlockable, he is just to manly to be a starter

Dark Luna

Smash Apprentice
That may not be true, it seems more unlikely he will be unlockable now. Not only was he in the demo, but the demo roster was also shown on the Dojo. With that in mind, he could be a starter.

To be honest, all the revealed characters on the Dojo could be starters. Think about it, if that wasn't the case, wouldn't Luigi or Jiggly be revealed by now?

"Didn't Sakurai say third parties were unlockable?"

Sakurai said this a long time ago, so its hard to rely on that statement now.

Some characters, espeisally Snake, do seem unlockable, but you never know...

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
That may not be true, it seems more unlikely he will be unlockable now. Not only was he in the demo, but the demo roster was also shown on the Dojo. With that in mind, he could be a starter.

To be honest, all the revealed characters on the Dojo could be starters. Think about it, if that wasn't the case, wouldn't Luigi or Jiggly be revealed by now?

He used that demo screen as an example for the update.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312

Wait, I don't get your point about Luigi and Jigglypuff; could you reword that?

Dark Luna

Smash Apprentice
Wait, I don't get your point about Luigi and Jigglypuff; could you reword that?
It seems as if Sakurai is waiting for the game to be released before revealing unlockables like Jiggly or Luigi, think about it, it he didn't care about revealing unlockables, wouldn't they of been revealed already? (We haven't had a new character for two months or so, he's hiding them for some odd reason).

"He used that demo screen as an example for the update."

Exactly, on the Dojo. It would be weird if he shown Sonic on a roster (even if it was the demo) without him attually being on the starting roster. Some people would be confused if he wasn't on the starting roster after seeing that. (mainly smash newbies, which is most likely the websites main audience).

Sakurai doesn't expect all of us to know the demo roster, as stated above, some people may be confused if he wasn't in the starting roster.

EarthHero

Smash Apprentice
I think the starting roster will just be a bunch of returning characters. I mean, like one or two new members or so, but making a huge character a starter, like Sonic and Snake, is going to sorta "Deglorify" them. I'm looking forward to completing an incredibly hard task to unlock Sonic. He needs to be a reward, a prize. It's illogical for this demo roster to be the starter.

Dark Luna

Smash Apprentice
I think the starting roster will just be a bunch of returning characters. I mean, like one or two new members or so, but making a huge character a starter, like Sonic and Snake, is going to sorta "Deglorify" them. I'm looking forward to completing an incredibly hard task to unlock Sonic. He needs to be a reward, a prize. It's illogical for this demo roster to be the starter.
Think about my Luigi and Jiggly statement, I think almost all characters on the Dojo will be starters, if not all of them.

Why haven't those two characters been revealed yet? Simple, they are unlockable. What other reason could there be?

EarthHero

Smash Apprentice
Think about my Luigi and Jiggly statement, I think almost all characters on the Dojo will be starters, if not all of them.

Why haven't those two characters been revealed yet? Simple, they are unlockable. What other reason could there be?
Um...... They could be buying time. I'm sure there's no conspiracy going on. Think about it, there is almost two months of updates left. They are going to run out of updates if they just release all the info. You know how many crap updates there have been? Alot. They are simply buying time so they don't spoil all of the game for us. We should expect like two or three more characters to be released. By then the game will be out and we will be suprised at how many characters can be unlocked.

Dark Luna

Smash Apprentice
Um...... They could be buying time. I'm sure there's no conspiracy going on. Think about it, there is almost two months of updates left. They are going to run out of updates if they just release all the info. You know how many crap updates there have been? Alot. They are simply buying time so they don't spoil all of the game for us. We should expect like two or three more characters to be released. By then the game will be out and we will be suprised at how many characters can be unlocked.
No. If they were going to reveal the unlockables, they would of done so already, given the fact there are probally so many unlockables, they could of spaced them out before release but we haven't had a character for two months, meaning the unlockables will be revealed after release.

Imo, there is going to be one more character, one more newcomer to be announsed before release, to fill that empty space on the Dojo. Then, after release, they will show the unlockables.

The only two characters who may be unlockables at the moment are Sonic and Snake, all the others are starters. Sonic and Snake are still arguable however on whether they are unlockable, dispite what Sakurai may of said a while back.

EarthHero

Smash Apprentice
It's not confirmed at all. I appreciate your hypothesis, but you're most likely wrong. You sound so sure of yourself Luna, why? There has been no talk and sakurai did not let anything slip on the starting line-up. I'm just saying that it's only logical for huge characters to not be starters. But like I said, I appreciate your hypothesis.

Rajun Cajun

Smash Rookie
I agree that it is possible that Sonic is a starter, but I highly doubt it. It's true that we still haven't seen anything about Luigi, the Puff, Cpt. Falcon, or any of a score of other unlockables we're all hoping for, and I do agree that ALMOST all of the Dojo announcements will be starters. It seems most likely however that Sakurai overcame his desire to hide the secret characters and announced Sonic and Snake early because of their huge fan-bases and the amazing publicity these third-parties garner.

So far the only actual support for Sonic as a starter is the strangeness of letting people play an unlockable character at E for All.

I'm leaning toward the unlockable side, though I doubt he'll be nearly as had to get as many are hoping/assuming. Like Jigglypuff, but for the Emissary, or something.

But then...does it really matter who you start with? I'm ashamed of anyone here who isn't going to play through everything before Monday morning. SURELY you can at least tolerate some other character long enough to unlock him, and then if you never want to play as anyone else ever again, so be it.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I dont think it matters whether hes unlockable or not, but Im sure he will be, just like Snake.

JPW

Smash Ace
I really don't mind now. I would prefer him as an unlockable because I want that Mario vs Sonic moment.

But I imagine that there are going to be kids and such playing this game too, and maybe Sakurai thinks it be fair that Sonic be available from the start so we can have the dream match.

One of the reason why it doesn't bother me as much now... is because there are event matches and I can guarantee that Mario vs Sonic will be one of the events.

Smash Ace
Sonic is far too hyped to be a astarter, therefore he must be unlockable.
=2007=

pezmaniac

Smash Rookie
I think he should have been unlockable and never announced to us. How would you feel when it says challenger approaching and sonic appears, that would have been awesome.

SlayerOfEvil

Smash Apprentice
maybe. But Sonic to not even be announced but then you see him as a character, that would right there, have made me literally scream "HOLY S---!!!!!!!"

I don't care if he's a starter or a secret, but it would be pretty sweet to unlock him. Gives him some priority.

Tigro

Smash Rookie
I posted this in the SSE thread in General:

"I'm not sure if this has been pointed out already (too lazy to skim through ~150 pages) but after watching the video introducing Sonic, I noticed he and Mario tackling some Subspace-like creatures at one point. Seeing as you can't necessarily choose *any* character you want at any given time in SSE, it looks as though Sonic is going to bump into Mario at some point in the story. ;-)"

This doesn't really answer whether or not he'll be unlockable, but I'm sure Sonic will end up in SSE one way or another.

Cazitha_90

Smash Rookie
I'd rather have him not to be revealed so I can scream out "HOLY S---!!!!!!!" too, oh well...

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Well, Something tells me that one of the new characters that will be starters is Pit, because he seems like he's very importat to SSE. However, I imagine that characters that are essential to SSE from the start will be those who are the starters that aren't unlockable. Something tells me, that Peach/Zelda will end up being unlockable, or at least Zelda. (The whole Cage thing). I'm going to say that Sonic is going to be unlockable in SSE.

EarthHero

Smash Apprentice
You just have to remember, not all characters are going to be unlocked in SSE. EX: Mewtwo in melee. He had nothing to do with any of the adventure or anything else. There was simply a special thing you had to do.

Top Bottom