• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Sonic be Unlockable?

Viral

Smash Apprentice
I hope he's an unlockable character. Not because i'm one of those people who think unexperienced players don't have the right to play Sonic but for the element of surprise.

If there is a tiny chance that someone somewhere doesn't know that Sonic will be in brawl (i'm thinking that one guy that lives under a rock) then it'd be a nice surprise.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I think he's going to be unlockable for all the people that are not into doing research for characters appearing on Brawl. Yup, the real noobs.

Although having him as a secret character kind of defeats the purpose seeing how we already know he's on the game. A hidden character slot should be reserved for the characters that are either:

1. Traditional hidden characters (Luigi, Jigglypuff, etc.)

2. Characters that will not be uddated on the DOJO period.

brawl_maniac

Smash Journeyman
I think he's going to be unlockable for all the people that are not into doing research for characters appearing on Brawl. Yup, the real noobs.

Although having him as a secret character kind of defeats the purpose seeing how we already know he's on the game. A hidden character slot should be reserved for the characters that are either:

1. Traditional hidden characters (Luigi, Jigglypuff, etc.)

2. Characters that will not be uddated on the DOJO period.
I agree with you, if a character is introduced on the smash bros dojo, they should be starter characters, and he was playable on the demo at E-for All.And if he is unlockable then he would probably be one of the tough ones to unlock.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
I say yes, yes he should. Sonic should not be in the spotlight for this game, he is a guest. Guests do not sleep in the master bedroom and plow the host's wife.

. . .Actually, that sounds like the kind of thing Sonic would do. But the point still stands.

EarthHero

Smash Apprentice
That's how Sonic roles. He doesn't even have to be invited to the party. lol. But I agree. He is not in the spotlight. Believe it or not; Mario is the spotlight of Smash..... Unfortunately. I mean seriously, how did a fat, lazy plumber, who likes to chill in pipes, get so famous?

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
That's how Sonic roles. He doesn't even have to be invited to the party. lol. But I agree. He is not in the spotlight. Believe it or not; Mario is the spotlight of Smash..... Unfortunately. I mean seriously, how did a fat, lazy plumber, who likes to chill in pipes, get so famous?
Oh, you know how it goes. Save an industry from a near-fatal recession and you're the new JFK, for some reason. :laugh:

secretcode

Smash Cadet
NNID
Secretcod
3DS FC
2337-3743-8226
Personally, I could care less what his status is in Brawl. If he's a starter, woohoo. If he's unlockable, whatever, because if you are confident in your skill level who cares how to get him. It doesn't really matter. Anyone can see. Nothing really matters to me.

...Any way the wind blows....

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
I'd actually prefer him as a really tough to get unlockable, but there's a slight chance he'll be a starter. I mean, he was in the demo, screened at the dojo in the demo list, and he's actually shown at the dojo while unlockables wouldn't be shown on the dojo.

But I guess Sakurai said 3rd party characters will be unlockable, and I'm praying Sonic will be too.

EarthHero

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai said himself that he isn't concerned with showing unlockables on the Dojo. He said that they will all be posted on the internet one way or another, so secret characters aren't really secret.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
According to older Sakurai information, third parties were intended to be un-lockables. Now, I think that Sonic should be part of the starting roster to

A)Get appeal from casual gamers that LOVE Sonic

B) I've just hear so many people stating they want to start of with Sonic when they pop the game in

brawl_maniac

Smash Journeyman
I'd actually prefer him as a really tough to get unlockable, but there's a slight chance he'll be a starter. I mean, he was in the demo, screened at the dojo in the demo list, and he's actually shown at the dojo while unlockables wouldn't be shown on the dojo.

But I guess Sakurai said 3rd party characters will be unlockable, and I'm praying Sonic will be too.
That's pretty much what i meant when i posted my reply.

He would be a cool unlockable character.

EarthHero

Smash Apprentice
For the last time. Sonic has no chance of being a starter. He is a third party character and third party characters will be unlockable; thats the end of it. The question is: how hard will he be to unlock?

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
For the last time. Sonic has no chance of being a starter. He is a third party character and third party characters will be unlockable; thats the end of it. The question is: how hard will he be to unlock?
Whoa, now. You're probably right, but nothing is written in stone. Sakurai can change his mind, the release date proves this. Sonic was likely publicated to make his fanbase excited for brawl, and he'll likely be made unlockable, like Sakurai said. But until Feb10, we can only state our own predictions, however we may see them.

gamer8

Smash Lord
He should be an unlockable since more newbies are gonna be playing this game and are gonna be trying to use Sonic as soon as they get the game... and fail miserably... Sonic is for more advanced users, noobs should get used to the game first and unlock him.

brawl_maniac

Smash Journeyman
He should be an unlockable since more newbies are gonna be playing this game and are gonna be trying to use Sonic as soon as they get the game... and fail miserably... Sonic is for more advanced users, noobs should get used to the game first and unlock him.
You have a very good point there.If he winds up as a starter character(which is very unlikely)then all of the n00bs would always be sonic,and not even try out the other characters.In fact i hope he'll be the toughest person to unlock in the game.

Brawler Lime

Smash Cadet
Well, im pretty sure he is unlockable.
I remember Sakurai saying (somewhere) that he would reveal all the starting characters, and only the 3rd party characters.

Think about it.
I hope he hasnt updated with jiggly puff because shes not in it (fingers crossed)

tmock90

Smash Rookie
Yeah but then you would have to use somebody else and not get to start using sonic from the start, don't you want to be able to start using him from the start?

Spartan64

Smash Journeyman
Whoa, now. You're probably right, but nothing is written in stone. Sakurai can change his mind, the release date proves this. Sonic was likely publicated to make his fanbase excited for brawl, and he'll likely be made unlockable, like Sakurai said. But until Feb10, we can only state our own predictions, however we may see them.
Correction, Untill January 24th

S.h.c.o.t.t.Y.1.0.8

Smash Cadet
then soinc HAS to be unlockable. what i will find interesting is how to unlock him. it'll probably be through the subspace emissary

domriver

Smash Lord
Well, he said all third party characters are unlockable.
Thats what I thought. Snake, Sonic, _______ *hopefully Mega Man*** will all be unlockable. I don't think 3rd party companies should have their character right away. jeejjej but I guess waiting till 1/24 will settle EVERYTHING omg... the entire roster..........:psycho:

S.h.c.o.t.t.Y.1.0.8

Smash Cadet
speaking of 1/24....does anyone know when or when abouts SSBB will come out in the UK? im literally p***ing myself to find out!

S.h.c.o.t.t.Y.1.0.8

Smash Cadet
and i think megaman will make it because of the amount of people requesting him and the amount of musicians from capcom giving music to the game....hopefully...

Top Bottom